When The Wrong One Loves You...

booknerd3193 által

Anabeth Harkins, a smart independent young woman moves to New York to run from her past. She starts a new job... Több

Chapter 1: Mark
Chapter 2: The Concert
Chapter 3: The Repeat
Chapter 4: The First Fight
Chapter 5: The Party
Chapter 6: An Unfortunate Turn
Chapter 7: Fight It Out
Chapter 8: Round Two
Chapter 9: The Date
Chapter 10: Round Three
Chapter 11: The Affair
Chapter 12: Regret
Chapter 13: Emotional Support
Chapter 14: About Saturday Night
Chapter 15: Who's Arms
Chapter:16 Official
Chapter 17: The Weekend
Chapter 18: Another Number
Chapter 19: The Gift
Chapter 20: Faster
Chapter 21: My World
Chapter 22: Gone Away
Chapter 23: Labor Pains
Chapter 24: The Reunion
Chapter 25: What Did You Do
Chapter 26: Together Again
Chapter 27: When The Wrong One Loves You Right
Chapter 28: Back to Normal
Chapter 29: Part of The Past
Chapter 30: Falling Apart
Chapter 31: Problems at Work
Chapter 32: More Explanation
Chapter 33: I'm Sorry
Chapter 34: The Park
Chapter 35: Find Him
Chapter 36: I Love You
Chapter 37: Official At The Office
Author's notes

Chapter 38: My Darkest Secrets

258 7 0
booknerd3193 által

Eric looks at me sideways as I sit at my desk. He only breaks his gaze from the computer for a moment.

"How are you doing Ana?" He asks.

"I'm fine." My response sounds mechanical. Eric stops typing on his computer and turns to me abruptly.

"Ana," he says looking into my eyes. "In all my years of life I've learned that when a woman says she's fine, and there are storm clouds behind her eyes, she's not."

"I don't want to talk about it." I say.

"I can tell that you are thinking about something difficult. I can see the fear in your face. If you don't want to talk to me about it, that's your decision. I'm here if you need me."

"I would really love to tell you what's going on in my mind, but it could result in your death." I half joke.

"Is this about your ex-boyfriend, that fear on your face?"

"Yes, no. Wait, what?" How could he know about my past?

"The guy you broke up with last week?" Eric asks.

"Oh, no. Not him. Don't worry about it."

Eric makes a face and decides to change the subject.

"So, remember how I was telling you about my friend. He still wants to meet you if you're up for it."

"I already told you to set it up, it would be rude not to meet him. I'm not looking for a relationship though. He needs to know that from the start. I'm already in one and I don't think I could handle another man's jealousy and mood swings."

"I thought you broke up with your boyfriend?" He asks.

"We didn't really break up. We took a break."

"Ok.... when are you free?"

"Um... tonight. Or anytime really." I answer.

"I'll give him a call and see when he is free. Can you promise me something?"

"Possibly." I shrug.

"Don't bring your boyfriend along."

"I won't. I don't need a fight."

The rest of the day was fairly slow. Eric got ahold of his friend and set up a meeting with him on Thursday evening after we get off work. A bunch of us from the office go out together occasionally. I've only gone a few times. After spending all day with people I work with, I don't find too much fun in spending my evening with them to. I don't like to end up dancing with my managers, it makes me feel very unprofessional when I have to face them at work the next day.

I'm not really sure why I agreed to meet this guy. I'm confused about my relationship with Mark. It scares me to think he might abandon me because he thinks he puts me in danger. I can't figure him out. He's fine one day and the next he is freaking out. Maybe meeting this man is my way of showing myself how I really feel about Mark.

***

Thursday evening came much faster than I expected. I told Mark I had plans with a friend after work. He made plans to work on his bike.

I left with Eric after Mark had gone down to the garage. I didn't plan on changing because I wasn't planning on staying more than an hour. Eric came to work in an expensive looking suit. When we got to the club everyone we work with seemed to be there.

Eric takes my hand and pulls me inside. He scans the room then looks at his phone and scans again. Finally, he spots what he was searching for.

"I see my friend, come on." He pulls me further through the mass of bodies and into the VIP section. I feel a little uncomfortable suddenly in that area. I catch the evil eye of several snobby women that are very overdressed. In a dark corner at the back a man is standing next to a table. I can't quite see his face, but he is a big man. He has to be 6'4" and his shoulders are twice as wide as Mark's. I know if I had to try to fight him off I would lose.

"Is that your friend?" I ask Eric nervously.

He doesn't respond, just smiles at me for a moment and continues dragging me behind him. The closer we get, the tenser I get. Finally, the man steps toward us and I see his face. My heart is in my throat and I try to pull my hand away from Eric and turn around.

"No, I can't do this." I say as I pull back.

"Ana, come on." Eric almost begs. We've stopped walking. I shake my head no. The hair on the back of my neck stands up as I feel someone else behind me. Then there is a hand on my shoulder. I clench my jaw and close my eyes tight. My breathing is shallow as I fight to hold back tears and keep my composure. I take a deep breath and open my eyes. I turn my eyes up to the owner of the hand that is still on my shoulder.  Then back to the man at the table.

"Vincenzo." I say.

"Ana, it's been a long time." The man that was standing by the table is standing in front of me now and I turn my gaze back to him.

"Giorgio." I say.

He doesn't speak. I look down for a moment before my eyes search the darkness. I see more and more familiar faces, faces from my past. My eyes fall on Eric. He still has a hold of my hand.

"I'm not going anywhere." Eric says. "I'm a part of this family as much as they are."

"Are you telling me that you are a Benedetti?" I ask him.

"Yes. The last time I saw you I was only 13, still a child."

"We should find a more private place to talk." Vincenzo says.

"Do I have a choice Vince?" I ask knowing the answer is no.

The corner of his mouth turns upward for a split second. Long enough for me to understand I'm right. Vincenzo reaches out and takes my hand from Eric. I can feel myself tremble as his skin touches mine.

"Come with me Ana. You can trust me." Vince said softly.

Reluctantly I follow him. Eric and Adriano follow along with other Benedetti's I recognize and other men that I don't.

We exit the VIP area and we walk toward the entrance of the club.

"Ana!?"

I hear a voice behind me. One that I recognize. I turn to see Colten and Drew walking toward us. I shake off  Vince's hand and walk toward Colten quickly. I stop a few steps away, but Colten does something I don't expect. He continues walking and pulls me in to a tight hug, putting his lips against my ear, keeping his eyes on the group of men behind me.

"Are you okay?" He whispers.

His hot breath in my hair. That was all it took for me to come unglued. I broke down in Colten's arms and began to silently sob.

"Where is Mark?" He askes.

"In the garage working on his bike." I answer tearfully.

"Who are all these guys Ana?"

"The Benedetti's, part of my past. Some of them you met at the hospital. I'm so scared Colten."

"If I let you go with them will you be okay? Will they hurt you?" Colten asks.

"I will be fine, they won't hurt me. Not on purpose." I said reassuringly.

"Where is your phone?" Colten asks after a slight pause.

"In my back pocket, why?"

"You're not gonna be happy about this, but before Mark left he had me put a tracking program on your phone. I can see where ever you are. If you get to a point where you feel like you're unsafe or you need help for whatever reason text me and I will be there as quickly as I can but I won't be alone when I come get you."

"Don't tell Mark. Please. I don't want him to pick a fight with these guys." I said worried. "They are Mafia."

"Ana I won't be able to fight them myself if that is what it comes to. I'm going to need everyone I can find."

"Please be careful. Colten whatever happens, you should know that they all carry at least two guns on them at all times. Don't do anything stupid. They are mafia. They shoot first and ask questions later."

"Stay safe Ana. I'll stay as close as I can. If you need me, call me." Colten says kissing my forehead.

As I pull away my eyes go to the floor. I don't want to put Colten in danger. I walk backward until our fingers separate. Someone takes my hand and I turn back to the Benedetti's.

We walk outside and Vincenzo ushers me into his black Porsche 911.  As I slip inside I see Mark standing by the entrance of the club. Colten has a hand wrapped around Mark's bicep. There is a worried expression on his face. I feel a tear roll down my cheek as I place my fingers against the window. Vince slipped in silently and watched me for a moment.

"Who is he?" Vince's voice says breaking into my thoughts.

"My boyfriend. The other man is his best friend."

"I won't hurt you Annie. We just need to talk. I hope for your brother's sake you agree to what my father wants to discuss."

"Isn't that what the Benedetti's Do? They hurt people?" I ask.

"Annie, I need you to trust me. Nothing bad will happen to you."

"Let's go then before I jump out of the car and run away."

Vince doesn't respond. He turns his eyes forward and pulls away from the curb. We drive in silence.

To be continued....

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

38.9K 992 109
Sometimes, not every love story can be as idyllic as it should be. Dean Winchester, bred and raised in the mafia, carried a heart that yearned desper...
537K 24.8K 33
*COMPLETED* Catherine Cavenon is as broke as it gets. Working long hours at a night club earns her just enough to last a week. Unable to pay rent or...
656K 24.5K 24
(COMPLETED) BOOK TRAILER IN 1ST CHAP.! ~~ He had a beautiful Italian accent that sang into my ears every word he said. I stood up correctly and look...
630K 64.7K 26
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...