I Couldn't Stop Caring

By _TheFreak_

"I couldn't stop" Lexa whispered softly "Stop what?" "I couldn't stop caring" -- Book 1 of the 'I couldn't s... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27: Epilogue
'I Can't Stop Loving You'

Chapter 16

6.6K 284 207
By _TheFreak_

Clarke pushed through the doors to walk onto the training ground in the early morning. She had never slept so well in months, expecting to go to bed and dream of those she couldn't save. Or those she had to kill to save the ones she could. But instead she woke up, not even remembering falling asleep, with the light of the morning flooding through the open balcony. For the first time, she actually wanted to go back to sleep and curl into the forest-smelling covers of her bed.

She walked across the cracked tiles of the training ground just outside of the commander's home. Raven was already sat on the steps, watching the commander and her best men. Clarke chuckled. Even now, Raven couldn't help but give into the sight of shirtless men.

Clarke rolled her eyes and sat beside Raven "no doubt Jayden is here training with-" Clarke's mouth went dry as she looked up, eyes landing on the grounders.

Lexa swung her fist viciously at Luna, and Clarke could almost feel the power behind the simple blow. But this time Lexa was dressed in less clothing with the scorching summer heat. Sweat rolled down her sharp jaw, dripping down from her chin and landing in the dirt. Her stomach muscles flexed and twisted with her body as she blocked a hit from Luna. Clarke swore she was going to pass out, and not from the heat.

"Griffin" Raven elbowed Clarke "are you staring at Luna?"

Clarke suddenly realised that Luna was dressed similarly to Lexa, but of course, Luna didn't have the same effect on her as Lexa did. Not in the slightest...

"No" Clarke denied, crossing her arms. Raven couldn't even tease her, because she was telling the truth. She wasn't looking at Luna.

"Then who's making you squirm like that, Clarke?"

"I'm not squirming Raven" she said, suddenly becoming too aware of her actions. She made an effort to keep still for her own sake.

"Bullshit Clarke. You might not have been lying last time, but you definitely are now. Who-"

"Hello, Clarke" her voice made her jump in surprise, and Clarke lifted her head to find green fixed on her.

Green. Green. Green.

Green was all she saw.

"Hello, Lexa" she cleared her throat, ignoring Raven's fixed gazed.

"Is there something wrong?" Lexa questioned, directing her eyes between the two girls. When Lexa's eyes flicked away, Clarke's eyes flicked to the indents of her abs in her stomach. She caught herself before Lexa did.

"No. I just wanted to thank you for your help." Clarke said. Lexa offered a small smile to Clarke. A rare occurrence.

"Like I said, Wanheda. I owe you much more" she said "now, I understand that we must plan our actions against Azgeda and Farm station. I believe we should attack soon, and take them by surprise."

Clarke found herself confused. How come, even when the commander spoke of war, she found her attractive. She found herself giving up on trying to convince herself that the attraction wasn't there. Because it was.

"Clarke?" Lexa frowned. She had just been staring, thinking, mind wondering and subconsciously, eyes wondering too.

"So far, that sounds like a good plan. We'll talk about details when Raven can come up with some useful weapons."

Raven grinned between the blonde and the brunette "oh yeah... I can make it go boom"

__________________
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

"So we don't know where farm station fled to" Lexa said "but we do know where Azgeda is. We have captured and held the Azgeda prince, Roan, as prisoner here in Polis. I'm sure we can have him provide information on the positions of the ice nation's defences."

"How long have you had him?" Clarke questioned. Luna lent back against the table behind her, crossing her arms looking across at the commander.

"A long time" Luna responded for Lexa, who sent a small glare her way "when everyone hunted you Clarke, Price Roan was one of the main hunters sent out by Azgeda. The Ice Queen had banished him, and you were his ticket back home"

Lexa sighed and messed with the corner of a map, looking rather fed up. Abby's eyes followed her movements closely, frowning.

"That still doesn't explain why he ended up locked away in Polis with you" Clarke said, the task of planning lost to her own curiosity.

"Lexa locked him away in case he managed to-"

"May we focus on the task at hand?" Lexa said through gritted teeth. She sent a glare capable of sending even the fearless running for the hills. Luna redirected her eyes and looked at the ground.

"Now, where's Azgeda stationed?" Octavia followed Lexa's wishes and continued with the discussion. The commander looked slightly relieved.

"Azgeda territory is north, here" Lexa pointed to the markings on the map, with letters sprawled across it to label it as ice nation. Clarke noticed that Lexa must have memorised clan territories, and it definately wasn't her that labelled the map. The young blonde gave the commander a short lasting side glance.

"Okay, so there aren't any clans that surround them. The closest ones we have are the ones south of them" Raven scratched her chin "has anyone been past Ice Nation territory? Like more north than them?"

"No... it is near impossible to make it that far past Azgeda. Why?" Jayden frowned

"Surround them" Clarke looked up at Raven "is that your idea?"

"Well, yes. And that big castle, which is the furthest north may I add, looks like something I'd love blow up" Raven smirked "all I need is to position myself north of the clan."

"Whilst we attack from the south, you attack from the north?" Lexa asked

"Exactly. Unless you have a better idea?"

"Yes. But no." Lexa frowned "I believe that this is a better option"

"What was your other option?" Clarke asked, reaching across the table to pull the map closer and get a better look at it. Her fingers skimmed Lexa's; her heart leaped to her mouth.

"That's not an option at all, Heda" Luna said before Lexa could even speak.

"What's not an option?" Abby asked

"Challenging the Ice queen herself in a dual" Luna said, crossing her arms "it won't happen"

"And why's that?"

"Because if our commander dies, who do you think will take the throne? I assure you that it will not be me, and it will not be trikru!" She exclaimed

"Ice nation..."

"Ice nation have their own nightblood. Ontari. Luna rejects the flame even although it is her birth right. My successors are still too young to take the position as commander, although Titus may say otherwise. If an Azgeda commander rises to the throne, peace will me a mere legend between the clans." Lexa sighed "I believe Raven's plan is the best option unless an improved idea is brought to question it"

The people in the room exchanged glances, the brown eyes of Raven meeting the darker brown of Jayden's. The green of Octavia's eyes meeting the brown of Lincolns.

The explosions of blue in Clarke's meeting the bold green of Lexa's.

"Then let's do it" Clarke said, and Lexa nodded in agreement. She stared at the girl for a moment before the blonde sighed and pushed herself from leaning against the table "Commander I need to speak with you."

Lexa gave Clarke a look as if to say 'go on...' The entire contents of the room stared at the two women.

"Alone" she added. Lexa nodded once again.

"Luna, prepare the remaining clans. I want every clan ready to march against the south of Azgeda by tomorrow."

"We move tomorrow? I have no time!" Raven exclaimed

"No. We don't. We cannot be ill prepared for war." Lexa said and looked to Luna once again "so prepare"

The commander's friend, as it seemed, nodded and left immediately to do as she asked, and Lexa turned to follow the young blonde out of the room.

"I assume you need to speak privately on a personal topic?" Lexa questioned

"If it wasn't personal, we wouldn't be speaking alone" Clarke mumbled, and Lexa led her into a room for them to talk. The red, ripped curtains blew lightly in the breeze of the open balcony, and the candles had been recently blown out.

"I would beg to differ" Lexa said turning around to reveal a small smirk. Clarke suddenly had the inability to exhale after a rather large intake of breath.

"Listen, Lexa I don't want this war to end like the last one. I don't even want one at all, but..."

"But you don't have a choice. None of us do, Clarke" Lexa said, a sudden amount of softness in her voice. The blonde girl almost melted on the spot. "We do what we must, though"

"I think it's more the fact that I'm on your side of this war again, Lexa" she said

"I think it would be worse to be on the opposite side to me" She said with a shrug.

"You know what I mean. I don't want to have to fight on my own again because you chip out last minute to save your own people"

"I will in no way betray you again" Lexa said "I promise"

"You promise?"

"I promise" she said quietly, looking down at her feet. Clarke realised that once again, it wasn't the commander stood before her. It was Lexa.

Clarke took a small, halfhearted and hesitant step towards the brunette "Lexa..." she sighed. Lexa stared back at her. Clarke could feel her breath clashing with her own from the close range. Lexa's lips were so close...

"Clarke, we need to think of the war. We cannot afford any distractions whilst the sun gives us the time to do so." Lexa whispered, eyes as soft as her voice. Those green, green eyes.

Clarke let out a lone shaken breath "you're right" she whispered.

Her finger lightly traced over Lexa's sharp jaw. She vaguely remembered a discussion on the ark, about the Greek gods that were believed to rule over earth. One goddess, Aphrodite riddled her thoughts in that moment.

Yes. Lexa herself appeared to be carved from marble by the goddess Aphrodite herself. The blonde chuckled to herself as she watched her fingers drift across Lexa's skin. The girl who couldn't love, appearing to be made by the goddess of love, of beauty.

"Is there something funny, Clarke?" Lexa asked with a small frown, body leaning closer into Clarke's palm. Her smooth and careful voice drew the blonde out of her own thoughts. Again.

"No" Clarke shook her head quickly "No. I'm just thinking of something. And we're wasting time, Lexa. Let's go."

Clarke pulled herself away from the commander. Lexa's squared her shoulders, straightening her back.

"Yes. We are wasting time." Lexa made her way towards the door "I will speak with Titus on the matters"

Clarke followed Lexa towards the door. Something, she was unsure what, built up in the pit of her stomach. Whatever it was, she was afraid. She had to act on it. Now.

"Lexa, stop!" The yell slipped out before Lexa's hand even touched the door handle. The brunette girl turned around, a confused look etched between her brows.

"What is it, Clarke?" She asked "I told you not to worry, I won't betray you again. I never meant to hurt you so much"

Clarke moved forward to the point where her feet were wedged between Lexa's, bodies brushing, lips itching to touch. Clarke felt the itch spread through her body in harsh waves.

"Remember when you asked me, out side of mount weather, what I wanted? What I wanted when everything was over?"

"You said you didn't know" she said quietly. Her eyes, of which were the colour of Clarke's safe haven amongst the forest, fixed on her lips.

"I did" Clarke whispered. She could feel Lexa's soft breaths on her lips "But I was afraid to admit it"

"Then what did you want, Clarke?" Lexa questioned.

Clarke couldn't manage to fit her explanation into words. The time that the commander kissed her in her tent, she knew it was something she would want to experience. Over. And over. Again. She was just to afraid to accept it. Her hand snaked it's way around to cup the back of Lexa's neck, and she pulled the commander's lips to her own.

It was like Lexa had been asleep, staring at Clarke in a haze until she finally felt her kiss. And then she woke up. Lexa cupped Clarke's face and returned the kiss- slow. Gentle, kind... understanding. Clarke could feel every single one in that single kiss, and she never felt so welcomed by someone's lips. Not by Finn, and certainly not by Niylah. This was all the commander's doing, and as those long, slender fingers slid against her jaw, she was happy to allow the commander to continue.

"We should go" Lexa whispered against Clarke's lips, her breath heavy as she green eyes stared at her though her eyelashes. Clarke nodded, forehead rested against Lexa's. the only trouble was, neither of the two girls wanted to move.

"I agree" Clarke whispered back after a moment of silence. She moved away, instantly feeling the space between them, and opened the door. That feeling Clarke had felt before echoed through her body once again, like heat filling a cold and empty cave. She left without looking back at the commander.

"Jesus Christ" she whispered to herself, stopping after nearing the closest corner. Her hand rested over her pounding heart "how will this ever end well?"

_____________________

Blah blah vote and comment blah blah let me know what you think!

It took me a while to write this. And also, if anyone actually wants to see smut in this book, find me a writer who will write it for me because it makes me uncomfortable to write it for people to see like that. So if you have anyone, toss them over my way would ya? Thanks!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

312K 10.4K 33
{Book 1 of 3} 𝙒𝙄𝙇𝙇 π˜½π™€ π™€π˜Ώπ™„π™π™„π™‰π™‚ π™Žπ™Šπ™Šπ™‰! I came to the ground being one of the 100s. Clarke Griffin kept an eye on me, they all did reall...
8.3K 292 33
Klark Kom Skaikru leaves Arkadia after what she did at Mount Weather, not being able to face the people who she has hurt. Will she be able to forgive...
25.7K 974 42
In the aftermath of the Mount Weather disaster, Clarke Griffin embarks on a perilous journey through the uncharted wilderness, grappling with the wei...
91.1K 1.5K 11
Clarke knew she had a lot to learn when she agreed to work on Woods Ranch. What she didn't know was that, in addition to horseback riding and cattle...