Destiny's Gamble

By styles2016

Sequel to Destiny's Dice. Manik and Nandini have now begun a new chapter of their lives, being a married coup... More

A New Chapter
Downhill Morning
Breakfast Fiascos
Question-Answer
Mrs. Devil Malhotra
A Plot...Or Not?
Ambushed
No Victory Without Struggle
This Is Me
Dare To Defy
It's A Start
Mission Accomplished
A Pot Of Mess
Web Of Thoughts
Insight
Don't Know How
You and I
Nandini's Sun
One Step At A Time
Turned Tables
Green Devil
Oh, You Devil
Devil, Not So Devilish
Anti-Manik
The Night's Young
Caged Bird No More
Tonight Is Ours
Dance Partner
An Ugly End
The Journey Begins
The Journey Continues
A Bagful Of Firsts
Machine Of Pain...Or Relief?
Superman
The Garden Of Eden
An Argument Much Needed
Superman Or Madman?
Future...Right?
The Start Of Something New
Mother Nature And Us
Home
Return Of The Witch
Taste Testing
To Love Is To Breathe
Crackling Tension
Tracks Once More
Wasted Efforts
Mr. Hulk
Challenge Accepted
Double Celebration
All's Well That Ends Well
Trouble In Paradise
...
Undoing
Gone
Operation Nandini
Plan A
Plan B...Failed
Thank You!
Lucked Out
Sleepover
Here, Always And Forever
Back To Square One
Out In The Open
Fragile! Handle With Care
Destined To Be
Good Luck, Manik
Devil In Disguise
Hungry Lioness
Goodnight
The Morning After
Mending Burnt Bridges
Surprise Getaway
Confessions Of The Heart
Tonight We Are One
A Hollow Victory
Unfortunate Times
Confinement
Tough Times
Newfound Motivation
Renewed Freedom
Destiny's Gamble
Coffee Date
A Flood Of Memories
Enemy Territory
Something More
Hide And Seek
Comrades
Destructive Lies
Two Vessels, One Soul
Unfinished Tales
Key to Success...Or Potion To Fail?
Game Changer
History Repeats Itself
Unpleasant Dawn
Falling Into Place
Old Flames
Coming Home
Happily Ever After
A New Adventure!

Happy Reunion Day

5K 696 50
By styles2016

"Angel?" My head jerks to the right to find Manik coming up the stairs. His eyes flit towards the open doorway of his room, land on Alya, and then return to me. "Angel - "

"What in the world is Alya doing in your bed?" I interrupt him, my gaze landing on the sleeping woman once more. She's fast asleep in Manik's bed as if this is her bed, her room, and her house. Ironically, right now I feel like an intruder. 

"Angel, don't jump to conclusions." Manik says, raising his palms up. "First let me explain."

"Did you sleep with her?" I blurt out, raising my eyebrows questioningly. Silence is all I receive as a response. My heart gaining a hundred new cracks every passing second, I wait for Manik's reply. "I knew it," I scoff, after about a minute has passed. Manik's silence is enough to answer my question. Aiyappa, why do I allow this man to make me a fool repeatedly? My heart sinks to the bottom of my stomach. How many times will I allow this man to tread on my heart before I protect it from him?

"I didn't sleep, or involve myself with anyone even when I didn't consider you my wife, so now that I love you, how do you expect me to do so?" Manik asks, as I'm heading towards the stairs. Those words are ringing with enough honesty that I don't require any further explanation from the Devil. "Angel, you still don't trust me." A volcano of relief erupts on me at the same time as rage spreads through my blood. I call Manik impulsive, and yet I'm the one who keeps jumping to senseless conclusions. This cannot go on. I should be punished for my idiotic behavior.

"I'm sorry." I say, my voice cracking. Turning around, I face Manik, my vision impaired because of the tears that are clogged up in my eyes. Tears that are proof of the disappointment I feel towards myself. Once again I've not only let myself down, but Manik too. 

"Angel, why are you crying?" He asks, stepping towards me. Taking a step back, I hold my palm up for him to stop.

"Because I'm at fault." I cry out, a sob escaping my lips. "I'm the one who keeps messing us up again and again, yet you're the one who is always apologizing and making it seem as if you're at fault. This is wrong, Manik!" Grinning, he comes towards me, his palms cupping my cheeks.

"Why are you smiling?" I ask, tears freely streaming down my cheeks.

"Because you called me Manik after what feels like a century." He replies, resting his forehead against mine. "My name sounds beautiful when said from your lips."

"I'm serious here, Manik." I say, sniffing. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for calling you a rapist, for even remotely believing that accusation for a second. I'm sorry for making you plead so much before I finally came around. I'm sorry for thinking you're capable of breaking my trust and cheating on me. Manik, I'm sorry for causing you all this grief. I'm sorry." Another sob shakes my body.

"Angel, I don't need your apologies." Manik says, wiping the tears away from my cheeks with the pad of his thumbs. "Trust me when I say, I don't consider you to be at fault. Not even a bit."

"That's the problem, Manik!" I exclaim, throwing my hands in the air. "I'm at fault. Be angry with me. Please."

"For what?" The Devil lets out a confused chuckle of laughter. "Look, Angel, we both made mistakes that taught us a lot. But now that's all in the past. It's time we move on."

"No," I shake my head stubbornly. "You can't forgive me, Manik."

"What?" The Devil tilts his head to the side, looking at me as if I'm an alien. "I honestly believe that the pain medicines are screwing with your head."

"No, Manik." I let out an irritated sigh. "You're not listening to me."

"Okay, sorry," he says, gesturing for me to go ahead.

"You need to be mad at me, and not forgive me this easily. I want to earn your forgiveness," I state. "So just be angry at me." Manik stares at me for a few seconds before he bursts out laughing, bending over and slapping his thigh.

"Lord, do you hear yourself, Angel? I think you're high," he says through his laughter. "How do you expect me to be mad at your cute ass?" Reaching over, he pinches my cheeks between his index and thumb fingers. "I don't want to be mad at you, Angel. I can't be. So let's just forget everything and move on."

"No," I say stubbornly. "You need to be angry at me, Manik, or else I'll get ticked off again."

"How is this fair?" He whines, clearly at a dead end. "It's like that metaphor goes, out of the frying pan into the fire."

"Please, Manik." I join my palms together. "Please show some anger towards me. Let me grovel a bit for your love as well."

"Fuck, fine." The Devil throws his hands in the air in defeat. "I'm mad." He raises his index finger. "But can I become an angry young man after we've cut the cake and celebrated a bit?" Quite frankly, I'd rather Manik's anger mode switch on from now so that I can escape eating what I can bet will lead to food poisoning in the near future. However, the eager look in Manik's eyes has me nodding in agreement.

"Sure," I concede. "And after you've explained as to why Alya's in your bed." 

As soon as we step into the lounge, I am ready to pivot on my heels and head back out. The chocolate cake - if I can even call it that - is sloping towards one side of the platter, with a pool of uncooked batter covering the base of it. I understand that Manik's never cooked anything decent in his life, but I'm sure he's at least seen a cake. So why in the world is he unable to see just how terribly wrong this looks? 

"M-Manik, you really shouldn't have." I say, eyeing the dessert warily. "I mean, Sateesh could've prepared one."

"But then it wouldn't be the same thing, right? Angel, don't you feel honoured that you get to try the first cake that's made by Manik Malhotra?" The Devil asks, grinning at his dish as if he's going to win the Nobel Prize for it. 

"Debatable," I murmur, silently praying for my well being. 

"Here, take the knife." Manik hands me a silver butterknife, excitement evident in his walk as well. "But wait!" He exclaims, holding his index finger up. "Let me ready the camera first and then you can begin cutting." 

"Oh for God's sake, Manik." I say dismissively, lowering myself to my knees behind the table. "I really don't want to remember our fight in the days to come. I mean, imagine playing this clip on our anniversary and announcing the fact that this was shot on the day I returned home after accusing you nonsensically." 

"Come on, Angel." Manik coerces, positioning himself in front of me. "It'll be such an event to remember. Our children will come and ask me about our legendary tale of love, and I'll give a detailed account of the first time you left our house because I drove you insane." 

"Let's hope it's the last," I comment, smiling. "Wait a minute, Manik, have you already reached the baby planning stage of this relationship?" He shrugs nonchalantly.

"We are married, Angel. If I don't begin planning all this now, then when?" He asks, raising the phone in front of his face. If I'm not mistaken, I can see a light blush creep onto Manik's cheeks. Aiyappa, I will never be able to figure out what this man is made of. 

"Shall we begin?" I question, positioning the knife above the cake's frosting, or whatever in the world it is. Manik nods eagerly. "Happy reunion day to us," I sing, my knife smoothly sliding into the dessert, and coming out doused with uncooked batter. Aiyappa, this is an insult to the art of baking.

"I say the baker should have the first bite." Taking out a small slice of the cake, I move towards Manik. Please don't die, I pray, as I offer him a tiny bite. I watch my husband unsurely as he chews. 

"How is it?" I ask, furrowing my brows. I genuinely wish to know how this unique creation tastes.

"Mmm...I'll be frank with you, Angel, it's not the best cake I've tasted. But it isn't all that bad either." Manik replies, taking the piece from my hand. "Your turn, Masterchef."

Hesitantly, I allow Manik to slip the remaining piece of cake into my mouth. For a few seconds, I allow the bite to stay on my tongue, until I finally gain the courage to swallow it. Hm...Manik's right, it isn't all that bad. 

"Let me take out a slice for you." The Devil says, licking his fingers. Smiling, I realise the cause of this cake's okay taste; no matter what I'm eating, where I am, or which conditions surround me, as long as I have Manik by my side, everything will be just right. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.1K 2.1K 16
MaNan is back! After a turbulent college life, everyone is chasing their dreams and passions, while dealing with changing relationships. After inves...
41K 1.7K 32
Nandini : Ab mei yeh natak aur nahi kar sakti Manik. You and I, it's over Manik. It's over. Two souls, Manik and Nandini, who hated each other at f...
22.3K 2.9K 11
Two beautiful people meet at a beautiful place and fall for each other... What happens next? A wedding perhaps? After which they live happily ever af...
1.9K 256 5
Welcome to this world of Manan. This book includes a collection of various short stories of Manik and Nandini with interesting storylines. This will...