The Shadows

By TaryynRose

16+ Mature Content - Contains mature themes, sexual content and strong language. You're found in an unknown... More

01 | With New Eyes
02 | Memories
03 | Mystery Man
04 | The Unknown
05 | Stay or Get Out
06 | Flight Risk
07 | Alone
08| Darkness
09| Family
10| The Ominous Truth
11| Mute
12| Lost Within
13| Falter
14| Homeless
15| Two-Faced
16| The Honest Truth
17| Connection
18| Mikayla
19| Essence
20| Past to Present
21| Departure
22| Dangerous Territory
23| Zone Two
24| Continue On
25| The Last Zone
26| Home Sweet Home
27| Forbidden
28| New Arrivals
30| Coming Together
31| Taken
32| Return
33| Free Mind
34| New Beginnings
35| This day
36| The Capital
37| Arrival
38| New Surroundings
39| Taking over
40| Progress
41| The last breath
42| The Mending Process
43| Aryah
44| Life & Death
45| Completion
46| Time to Breath
47| Declaration
48| Dracone
49| Harper

29| Unwelcome

1.3K 32 3
By TaryynRose

Hey babies, for those of you who are continuing on here, I've decided to add some  music to the read! The music I choose is what I listen to as I write. Whether it makes sense or not, it's the song that got me in the vibe for the chapter. I like a variety of genre's so you'll see a little of everything, I'm sure. Enjoy loves! xoxo

---------------------------------------------

Damien was right, there was something off and it filled the room. I look between Cain and Damien who both looked grimace. The alpha in them was out and glowing. I look back to the stranger to catch him staring at me. It felt like he was trying to tell me something, catch my attention. Cain shoves him back with one hand, causing him to take a few steps back, breaking eye contact with me. "Your eyes stay on me." Cain warns him. The man cowers to Cain, but says nothing. Damien gently pulls me behind him. I felt nervous; Nervous that this was going to escalate. More so for this stranger in front of me. He groveled to the presence of both Cain and Damien, whereas they both have personalities of kings, presenting with no fear. I already know Damien has no problem with confrontation.

"Who are you?" Cain breaks the silence. The stranger clears his throat, "My names Chris, your grace." "What do you want?" Damien takes over. "I've come to help. I heard you were accepting new recruits." Chris glances at me again. I furrow my brows in confusion. Why the hell does this guy keep looking at me? Cain and Damien narrow their eyes at him. They don't believe him. Damien takes a step forward. "If you don't want me to rip your eyes out of their sockets, I suggest you keep them to yourself." He warns him once more. My eyes widen and stare at Damien, how vulgar. Chris immediately cowers and blinks his stare away from me as he begins to lightly tremble. I look at Cain for back up, I felt bad for the stranger. I knew he would normally cut Damien's inappropriate outburts off but he said nothing. It seemed like he's using Damien's natural talent of intimidation in this situation. An unknown stranger with an odd energy. They didn't need to do much for the stranger to be scared of them, it almost seemed too much to me, they proved there point. Chris bows to them, "I'm sorry your grace. I meant no disrespect. She's a beautiful girl, I was admiring her." He gulps. "Keep admiring her and see what happens." Damien says enthusiastically. Chris throws his hands up in defence. "Your grace, no need for threats." I stare at him as his lips move but the words fade out. I furrow my brows and lean forward, trying to hear what he's saying. Their voices fade out to a mumbled, distant conversation, then to silence. Time feels as if it's slowing down and the surrounding room begins to blur around me. I panic and yell out to Damien but my own voice seems to fail me, yet I can sense the desperation in my attempted yelp. Damien whips around and looks at me mortified, lunging forward as I stumble on my feet. Damien's speaking to me but I can't focus. I get one last glance at their faces, full of concern and confusion, looking passed Cain, Chris, staring into my eyes solemnly.

I blink and I am surrounded by a garden I am not familiar with. I look around frantically, whipping behind me, my eyes match with the strangers. "Please don't be afraid, we don't have much time." He pleads to me desperately. I stare at him dumbfounded. "I need your help, I need you to convince them to let me stay." I shake my head, "Who the hell are you!? Where am I? Take me home!" He takes a deepbreath. "You are home. This is an illusion." I stare at him blankly, "Are you an essence!?" He fidgets for a minute, avoiding eye contact. "It's a long story, but yes." I look around piecing it together. "Then why can't Cain and Damien sense it?" He shakes his head, "They can sense something but I'm masking it. They're understandbly skeptical of me. Please." I cross my arms. "Why should I trust you so easily?" This guy had the confidence to do this in front of them and to ask so much of me, pissed me off. "Please Aryah, I can help you with your memories." My entire body tenses at his words. He knows my name and he knows I lack memory. Who was he? "How did you know that? How do you know my name?" I yell at him becoming more defensive. "Please, they're going to notice I've separated you from reality. I promise I will explain everything once they allow me to stay."

Before I have a chance to reply, my vision becomes clear once more. Damien hovers over me and Cain is staring at me horrified over his shoulder "Aryah!?" I blink a few times, looking around. Relief fills their expression and Cain instantly turns  around to face Chris, grabbing his throat and pushing him into the wall with a thud, shaking the walls. His palm begins to burn, sinking into his skin. Chris flinches, becoming dismayed, desperately trying to break his grasp. "P-pl..ea..se!" He squeels. Damien eyes dart over me. "What the fuck was that!?" I readjust my stance and shake off the strange lingering vertigo. "Wait!" I yell to Cain, ignoring Damien. He turns his head over his shoulder, looking at me from the corner of his eye, keeping his grip firm on his neck. "I-I'm fine. I'm not sure what just happened, I blacked out." They both stare at me in silence, the only sound is Chris's desperate whimpers. "Cain, he hasn't done anything, let him go." I plead to him. Cain looks back to Chris and unwillingly lets him go. Chris falls forward gasping for air, clenching his throat. When he removes his hand, a strong burn mark outlining Cain's hand, lays perfectly in the center of his neck. My eyes widen as I had not realized what Cain was doing. "There's an energy about him that I don't trust." Damien says looking down at Chris who is kneeling over. "Ben." Cain calls out. Ben quickly emerges, bowing to them. "Your grace, what can I do for you?" Cain turns to Chris, "Escort him to the cell. I will be down shortly." Chris shakes his head vigorously. "Please your grace! This is unjust!" Ben grips his sleeve and drags him to the basement.

"He's hiding something." Cain says after a few minutes of thought filled silence. "I'm about to find out what that something is." Damien responds then turns to me. "Aryah, what was that about?" Cain turns to me waiting for an answer as well, both stares burning into me. "N-nothing, honestly, I'm fine. I-I just blacked out, maybe I ate too much." Cain brings a hand to his chin in thought and Damien narrows his eyes at me. "Maybe I need to lay down for a bit. Please excuse me." They don't respond but both watch me run up the stairs and down the hall to our bedroom.

"She's hiding something." Cain states plainly as they both stare at the now empty staircase. "But why would she? She wouldn't lie to us so easily." Damien responds and Cain turns around. "We should speak with him first. If she is, she would have a reason." Damien nods in agreement. "Why would she protect him." Damien scowls at the thought. Cain shrugs, "His energy is familiar."

---------------------------------------------

<-Chris's P.O.V->

The large guard drags me into the cell, throwing me in and locking it behind him. I jump up and run towards the gate. "You're making a mistake, please!" I call out to him but he ignores me and continues walking.

"Who are you?" I turn around to see a blonde, well dressed girl leaning against the wall behind me. "Chris... Who are you?" She scoffs at me and pushes herself away from the wall. "Wouldn't you like to know." I roll my eyes and turn back to the bars. "Not really." I whisper under my breath.

My body stiffens when both Prince Cain and Prince Damien stride towards me. I take a few steps away from the gate, breaking eye contact. They stop in front of the cell and look to the blonde girl. "Skye, come with me please." Cain opens the gate as he orders her. "Your grace I-" My sentence is cut off by a death glare from both Cain and Damien. Damien steps through the door, staring into me. "Speak when spoken to." I shut my mouth. We say nothing until Cain has escorted the blonde girl out and down the hall.

<-Damien's P.O.V->

I close the gate and lock it behind me, turning around to see the stranger cowering in the shadow of the corner. "What are your intentions here." He takes a shaky breath before responding. "Honestly, your grace. I mean no ill will." I narrow my eyes at him. "There's something about you. What is it?" He diverts his gaze, "I-I'm not s-sure what you mean, your grace." I roll my eyes at him. "You can stay here until you're ready to speak. I'll find out one way or another." I turn to unlock the gate, letting myself out and locking it once more. I stare at him through the bars. "Don't make me force it out of you." His breathing hitches when I finish my sentence. I turn and walk back down the hall.

I walk through the door into the entrance off of the basement, which was more like an office. Skye sat in a wooden chair, cross legged and armed, scowling at Cain. "Are you letting me out now?" She says angrily. "Are you ready to tell me what's going on?" Cain says dryly, not affected by her anger. "Nothing is going on! Haven't my sibling been looking for me!?" Cain shakes his head. "No actually. Listen, I can't let you going around blurting things out about Aryah." My face twists into confused anger. What was he talking about? Cain looks over his shoulder and gives me the 'yes I know' look. "If I was going to tell anyone, it would probably be my siblings. Don't you think I would have done that already?" She rolls her eyes and pulses her foot in impatience. Cain shrugs, "Sorry but I can't take my chances until we are ready to share this news with everyone." Skye jumps up and raises her voice. "You're sending me back!?" She let's out an ear shattering scream causing both Cain and I to cringe. "Enough already!" Cain yells at her. Ben enters the room at this moment, Skye turns to him. "You'll be hearing a lot more from me! Get ready for a long night." Ben's face twists in annoyance as he escorts her back.

"God her voice makes me cringe." I say rubbing my ears. Cain chuckles and turns to me. "Any luck?" I shake my head. "He's sticking to his story. We'll have to come back to this later tonight." Cain nods, "Keep an eye on Aryah. See if she acts different in any way." I sigh and nod, uncomfortable with the thought.

---------------------------------------------

<-Aryah's P.O.V->

I tried to lay down but my mind was too busy. I decided to get some fresh air and wait for our arriving guests on the porch. When I see people walking from the distance, I quickly stand and walk halfway through the front lawn. Analyn and Wade were the first to arrive and Madilyn quickly helped with their bags and showed them to their room. I turn around and giggle at Wade dragging his feet as he held most of the bags while Analyn glides gracefully to the front door.

Distant voices hit my ears. I whip around to see Cole and his wife walking towards me, waving obnoxiously in the air. "Cole!" I yell out as they approach. "Hey Aryah!" He gives me a quick hug and introduces me to his gorgeous wife Cynthia. "Nice to meet you Aryah, this time awake." She smiles brightly at me and chuckles. I shake my head and apologize but she quickly shuts down my discomfort saying it's a good story to tell. "My cousins will be here in a few minute's Aryah, would you mind waiting for them?"Cole politely suggests. I nod happily as Morgan bursts through the front door, jumping on both Cole and Cynthia. They must not see their brother often, being so far away. Morgan guides them into the house as they catch up.

I stand in the sun, taking in the perfect amount of warmth, closing my eyes as I breath in the fresh air. "Well, look who's awake." An unfamiliar male voice beams through the air. My eyes burst open to see two tall, lean men standing directly in front of me, sending me mischievous smiles, making me slightly uncomfortable. One had hair so blonde it was almost white, with tan skin and blue eyes, where the other was the complete opposite; dark hair, dark eyes and dark clothing. "Oh, Hi, you must be Cole's cousins. Yeah, I guess you've met me before." The one with dark hair takes a step awkwardly close. "I knew you were beautiful, but damn." I tense and shift away from him. The other man chimes in. "I'd have to agree." He licks his lower lip as they both eye me up and down, making no attempt to hide their gawking. I cross my arms in attempt to close off my body and look away. "I have a feeling we're going to be good 'friends'" The dark haired man inches closer.

"Yeah, just friends." Cain's voice loud and clear as he walks up behind me. Both men lift there heads, smiling as they bow to him. "Aw come on Cain, we're just having fun." The dark haired man says playfully. "How could you not stare?" The light haired man makes another full tour of my body once more. "Wait, you like her?" The dark haired man tilts his head in curiousity. A lump forms in my throat as I try to think of something to say to avoid the awkwardness. Cain shakes his head. "She's with Damien, you idiots. Aryah, meet Nick and Ethan." Cain points to the dark haired man, who is Nick and the blonde, who is Ethan. They ignore his introduction. "He never cared when we hit on his past girlfriends?" I tense, girlfriends, plural? Nick shrugs, "Yeah, why would he care now." Cain chuckles and shakes his head. "Why don't you try it out and see?" Ethan raises an eyebrow and grins at me. "Hm, he cares for this one, does he?" "Interesting..." Nick flashes a grin. "This could be fun." Nick looks back to Ethan who is nodding at him. "Don't say I didn't warn you." Cain shrugs. "Morgan and Madilyn are waiting for you inside." "Guess that's our cue!" Nick winks at me and Ethan clicks his tongue before they walk passed us. "See you sooner than later beautiful." Ethan lightly grabs my hand as he walks by and I quickly pull away from him.

Cain turns to me, "They're womanizer's if you hadn't noticed." I sigh heavily. "That was awkward, thanks for saving me." Cain shakes his head. "I wouldn't worry. If they were to try something, Damien will take care of it." I scoff, "Yeah like how he took care of Ember?" Cain looks down at me. "No Aryah, they are men. He can do a lot more to ensure they won't do it again." I look up to Cain and shut my mouth, he said that with not one bit of humour. "Come, you shouldn't be outside." I roll my eyes as he leads me indoors.

We walk inside to see Damien already speaking to Nick and Ethan. I pause and hold back to join a conversation with Morgan and Cynthia.

<-Damien's P.O.V->

"Damien, you never said how gorgeous your girl was awake!" Nick bursts out laughing at his own joke and I roll my eyes at him, ignoring that comment. "This will be fun." Ethan nudges Nick. I shift my eyes to him. "I'm sure one of us will be laughing." I state flatly. "Keep an eye on her D, or one of us will scoop her up." Nick chuckles and wiggles his eyebrows. "She is not like any of my past girlfriends, you got it? She's off limits." I glare at them both and they look at me confused at why I'm so serious. "Don't look at me like that you fools. You touch her and you'll find out what happens. You get one warning." I brush passed them and make my way over to Aryah.

<-Aryah's P.O.V->

I watch Damien as he has a heated conversation with Nick and Ethan. Finally he brushes passed them and pulls me away from my conversation with Cynthia and Morgan. "Have they said anything to you?" He asks me seriously. "Just awkward flirting." I shrug. "Be clear with them Aryah. You know what will happen when I step in." I nod and he gives me a wink, relaxing his body he leans in kissing me on the cheek and leaving me to finish my conversation as he greets everyone else.
---------------------------------------------

We spend the morning getting everyone settled in and catching up on their travels here. It became tiresome avoiding Nick and Ethan the entire day. It's like they knew I was purposely avoiding them, making them try harder to get to me. Stupid boys think I'm playing a game with them when really I'm trying to save their asses and avoid a potential conflict.

I break away from everyone, finding myself in the library, a place I knew would be quiet. I needed a breath away for a minute. I close the door quietly behind me and stride a few steps in, running my hands through my hair, looking up to the ceiling, closing my eyes and taking a breath. "I just need a minute..." I whisper to myself.

"That's too bad. I thought you'd want some company." I shift around to see Nick standing confidently a few feet away from me, giving me an unwelcome smile.  "Nick..." I breath out. He takes a few slow steps towards me, his eyes undress me as he looks me up and down. He reaches up, brushing his thumb across my cheek. "You're very timid." He states as I move my face away from his hand, giving him a look. "You snuck up on me." He takes one more step closer to me. I move to take a step back, but I walk into the chair behind me. "I didn't think I'd get you in a room alone this fast." He grins as I look up to him in disgust. "Move away from me Nick." I square my stance and cross my arms. "Come on. Damien never cared before. Trust me, he'd be okay with it." I squeeze myself out to the right, unintentionally cornering myself between a desk and the wall. He turns to me, blocking me. "I don't know what you're talking about." I search my surroundings for a potential escape plan. He leans over a small distance from my face, leaning to the right and placing his hand on my lower back, sliding lower until he grabs my bottom. I shove him back and he stumbles, chuckling. "Don't fucking touch me." I warn him. "Ou, baby I love your fiesty side." He breathes in through his teeth as the creep aura radiates off of him. Such a shame he's a good looking guy because his personality kills it. He crosses his arms, tapping his index finger on his lip. "Are you..." He leans one hand down on the desk, inching his way to my lips. "A virgin?" I feel his hot breath across my face and I shove him back again. "Get away from me! That is none of your business!" He raises his eyebrows and lets out a satisfied smirk. "Damn, you are? I knew there was something about you that I loved." He shutters and shakes it off as he becomes increasingly excited.

"Get out of here Nick. You have no idea what she could do to you."

My eyes shift to the entrance door and Nick rolls his eyes, not looking back as he already knew who it was. He turns around and shrugs. "I'm just having some fun." Cynthia scowls at him and looks at him with an expression of repulsion. "I wouldn't test Damien with this one. Have you spoken to Madilyn about the incident with her?" My eyes divert to the ground and I drop my chin. Does everyone know? "What would that be?" Nick tilts his head curiously. Cynthia crosses her arms. "Let's just say she was 'out of service' for quite awhile." Nick looks back at me and back to Cynthia. "Hm, sorry Aryah. I didn't think he was that serious. Doesn't mean I won't stop trying." He turns to wink at me and I inwardly cringe as he exits the room. Cynthia drops her arms and sighs. "Oh doll, lift your head. I had to be straight up with him, otherwise he'd never leave you alone." She walks over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I hadn't realized that Madilyn told you..." She shakes her head. "Don't feel bad, Cole would do the same. Madilyn told me in order to warn Nick and Ethan." She rolls her eyes. "She knew they'd be all over you. Keep a safe distance." I nod and sigh. "I've been trying." I lean onto the desk, fatigued and she nods. "Anyways, I wanted to tell you that the girls and I are going to the Capital tomorrow. Would you like to come?" My eyes light up and I jump from the table. "I would love to come! But Damien and Cain..." She thinks for a moment. "Let's talk to them together after dinner. Maybe we can convince them?" I shrug at her enthusiastic energy, but I don't have as much hope. She pokes my nose, "Keep that smile, it suits you much better! I'll meet you later for dinner. Avoid the boys as best you can." She chuckles as she turns around to exit the room.

Hm, now might be a good time to sneak downstairs. I need to find out what's going on with this mysterious stranger.

---------------------------------------------

<-Meanwhile -- Damien's P.O.V->

I decided to take a minute away from everyone and stroll around the house. I stand in the hall, staring out the enormous window that brilliantly displayed the backyard forest and garden. Movement catches the corner of my eye, when I see Aryah enter into the library. I think for a moment, whether to follow her or not then decide against it; she must need a moment to herself as well. I move my chin to look back out the window but quickly whip back to see Nick peak around before entering the library. I narrow my eyes and my jaw tenses. I quickly make my way to the door and lean in to listen to the conversation. If I didn't need to make anything of it, I won't. Remember we're trying this new thing called 'control' I say to myself. I listen intently to the conversation which quickly fills me with rage. I shoot my hand out to the door knob but a smaller hand wraps around mine. I look up to see Cynthia putting her index finger to her lips in a shush position and shaking her head. I hesitantly let go and step back as she enters the library. I take a step back, crossing my arms as my emotions defy me and I can feel myself becoming increasingly angry.

The door knob turns and Nick walks out, closing the door behind him. I smirk in satisfaction and narrow my eyes. He turns around, startled to see me, he flinches. "D! Oh whats up man, I didn't know you were here."

"I warned you." I say blankly.

His face falls as he puts up his hands, looking down each direction of the hall for any sort of help. I slam my hand into his chest, gripping his shirt and pushing him back, not enough to hit the wall, but inches away. He grabs my wrist as fear fills his eyes. His breathing quickens as a lump forms in his throat. "D-Damien, listen. I was just kidding around!" I stare at him in silence as I feel the darkness begin to take over. He desperately struggles to free himself from my grip as the fire begins to fill his body as I drain him from his energy. I watch him as exhaustion fills him and he can't hold up his form. I begin to hear footsteps approaching the door, shifting my gaze from the door and back to Nick. I drop him to the ground, still holding his shirt, I drag him down the hall behind me.

---------------------------------------------

<-Aryah's P.O.V->

I peek my head out from the library a couple minutes after Cynthia left. I look both ways to see the halls empty and quiet. I run down the hall, being light on my feet. I stop in front of Cain's study and lean my ear gently against the door. I could hear him and a few others, sounds like they're catching up.

"What are you doing?"

I jump and fall into the door. "Holy shit Damien! Don't sneak up on me!" He looks over me skeptically. "Then don't sneak around?" He raises an eyebrow. "I am not sneaking. I was looking for you." He grins, leaving his eyebrow raised. "Missed me?" He moves in, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "You wish." He chuckles and let's me go. "I'm going to catch up with the guys for a bit." "Yes! You should do that." Damnit, I wish I left a pause in between that, I almost sounded too desperate and he narrows his eyes slightly, his grin becoming smaller. "I um, I'm gonna rest a bit before dinner." He nods slowly. "Alright, I'll come wake you when dinner's ready." I lean in to kiss his cheek and fast walk down the hall.

I look back to see Damien watching me intently. I look back and sigh in annoyance. I run into our bedroom and wait for five minutes. I stick my head out to see the hall empty once more and I zoom down the stairs, somehow making my way to the basement door without being seen. I open it quietly and step lightly down the stairs. I look out to see Ben pulling Skye down the hall and turning the corner, all the while she screaming profanaties at him. This is my chance. I run down the hall towards Chris. His chin lifts in surprise as I run towards him.

"You came!? I wasn't sure you would." He looks me over as I catch my breath. "You better start talking. You come out of no where with all of these accusations. Now you have me sneaking around from the most observant people on the planet. How I got here without being noticed, was a miracle. God I hate hiding shit from them, but I need more information. I don't have a lot of time. How do you know me?"

A ring of keys clinks, echoing down the cement walls. I shoot my gaze behind me to see Ben returning from wherever he took Skye. I turn my back into the cell and grip onto it with both hands. He turns into the entrance office and closes the door. I sigh, closing my eyes to slow my heart beat.  I turn around and connect my gaze with Chris's once again.

"Where do I start?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 762 48
A world of demons and angels? Are they real? What if a demon fell in love with a human? "They are real you know?" I looked at my aunt. "What's real?"...
885 64 34
Rose ,a young 16 year old girl is living a quite normal life until she takes admission in a school which bears secrets beyond her imagination and bri...
70.8K 3.8K 17
Eve's been through a lot, but prophecy isn't through with her yet. Not yet ready for what it asks of her, it drives a wedge between her and the love...
11.3K 502 21
Do you believe there are such things as the Devil and the Angel? That the Angel would protect you if you are good while the Devil would do whatever i...