The Island With No Parallel

By Celesteharte

Highest rating: #364 in Historical Fiction!!! Completed! The kingdom of Ecencia is in danger of its own princ... More

Uncle Stretton's Visit
Necklace (edited)
Spanish Baron (part 1)
Spanish Baron (part 2)
The Ancient Ones
Valencia
The Letter
Fernando
The Chosen
Family History
Lorenn
The General of Fear (part 1)
The General of Fear (part 2)
A Letter to My Son
Step Into Caorfi (part 1)
Step Into Caorfi (part 2)
Revett (Part 1)
Revett (Part 2)
Crows
Wounds
The Spy (part 1)
The Spy (part 2)
Two Foreign Maids (Part 1)
Two Foreign Maids (Part 2)
A Killer at the Party
Strangers
Wolves
Mercy
Raided (part 1)
Raided (part 2)
Shattered (part 1)
Shattered (part 2)
Murky Waters (part 1)
Murky Waters (part 2)
Chains
Reflections of the Past
Torches and Pitchforks in France (part 1)
Torches and Pitchforks in France (part 2)
A Portal in the Plaza
Messenger
Lord Luca Valentwood
The Golden Ram
A Game of Saahd'man
Qundi
The Scholar
Deals and Contracts
Legacies
The Dead Queen's Request (part 1)
The Dead Queen's Request (part 2)
The Wisdom of the Imanu
Darius
A Tale Finally Told
Lurking in the Depths
Sacrificed
A Battle Awaited for Centuries

Epilogue

39 2 7
By Celesteharte

"May I have an audience with Her Graciousness the Courtess?"

Yunara jumped, frowning at the disturbance distracting her from her work. She clucked her tongue. "No, you may not. And will you stop calling me that?"

Manuel traced a finger under her chin and kissed her cheek. "Why not? I miss my wife."

She slapped his hand away playfully. "You're so dramatic. I've only been in here a few hours."

"You've been in here all morning!"

She shook her head, ignoring him. "Leave me alone. You're distracting me from my work. I want to be done before the banquet!"

He leaned over the desk, a hand on her chair, looking over what she'd done. "Wow, this is very impressive, Yunara. You've gotten a lot done. But you've had your head buried in your writing for too long. You're being more like my father than I do!"

She chuckled. "I'll take that as a compliment."

As she reached for her pen again, he took up her hand before she could and kissed it. "Please, may I invite you, Mrs. Suarez, to take a break and say, go swimming? The banquet's not for another few hours. We should have time."

She paused. A swim really did sound good. But she wanted to finish first.

"Maybe in a little bit," she said finally.

He kissed her wedding ring. "Very well, then."

"If..."

"If?"

"If you read over what I have so far. See what you think."

He shrugged. "Alright."

She handed him the papers that were laid before her, and as his eyes scanned over the sheets, she thought about that swim. She was waiting for the perfect opportunity to tell him. Maybe then was the right moment.

"This is really good," he said when he was finished, pulling her back from her thoughts. "You really described the whole experience well."

"Really? Is that how you remembered it, too?"

"Almost exactly. I especially like what you said here: 'As I lost consciousness, and my colleagues later told me I'd passed away, I passed through into what looked like another realm. I didn't have much time to take in my surroundings before my friends brought me back. But I saw people and Unseeables, together. Specifically, the Imanu. And from where I came, I saw something unusual. A hole that I somehow knew didn't belong there. From that hole, Dark Ones were coming through, or at least trying to. Desperately aiming to reach the realm I was in. As I was pulled back through the hole and my friends began resuscitating me, the Dark Ones were blocked from entering, the hold behind me closing.

'I believe the Dark Ones were expecting more from mines and my husband's deaths than we previously imagined. We somehow created an opening with our passing into another world I had never known to exist, and the Dark Ones desperately wanted access.

'In the battle with the Dark Lords, it seemed they assumed they would take possession of the parallel zone, as well. They were planning, I believe, and invasions of all realms, and ultimately the demise of the Ancient Ones.

'The battle we fought seemed to be taking place on more levels than we realized. Even, perhaps, involving the invasion of a possible afterlife. It makes me realize that the Unseeables have a great deal left to teach us, perhaps on even how to reach this afterlife. All I can say is our relations with the Unseeables is crucial to our restoration as a society. We must never forget how close we were to a horrible fate, and that without the Unseeables, we would have never made it to the other side of it.'"

"You really like it?

"I do, now let's go."

"I said afterwards. I'm not done yet! I still have to make a few revisions."

"You always have a few revisions. I say let's–"

"Miss?" Maria said through the door. "Lady Suarez?"

"Come in," she allowed.

Maria came through the door. She shook her head in wonder. "I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to seeing you like this, miss. Gills, and everything!" she shook herself. "Anyway, Lord Valentini is here."

Instead of waiting for them to come out, he barged through the door as soon as she finished speaking.

"Aren't we going to the banquet?"

"Yes, but that's not for another few hours," Yunara objected.

"True, but we might leave early to compensate for traffic."

Manuel frowned. "Traffic?"

His question was answered when they left their manor to meet an adoring crowd at their door.

Queen Cadri was waiting for them with a carriage. She stepped down, dressed from head to toe in a gorgeous violet gown, her dark curls adorned with gold ornaments, topped with a crown.

She smiled brightly. "I wanted to surprise you."

Kailu and Shi'ran waved from inside.

"Come on, Yunie!" Kailu teased, something she hadn't let Yunara live down since she'd learned of the nickname from Cadri.

Yunara's stomach fluttered at the idea of so many people seeing her like this. She already felt out of place when Cadri officially made her a courtier despite the face that a replacement Queen was no longer necessary. She was only just recently getting accustomed to that. But this...

Manuel took her hand. "Let's go in and change. We're a little underdressed, wouldn't you say?" He gave her a reassuring smile, meaning he already sensed her apprehension.

Cadri smiled. "Please, go ahead. We'll wait for you."

"See you soon, Yunie!" Kailu shouted, cackling afterwards.

# # #

Crowds were cheering as the carriage passed through the streets. All five of the Chosen were gathered, along with the Queen. The Ecencians cheered on their heroes.

At the banquet hall, Cadri raised a glass. People were gathered from all over Caorfi. Elves, Fairies, Naiads, all nations were invited. It was both a celebration and an important announcement for all of Caorfi.

"Today we celebrate the victory of the Chosen ones. They have paved the way for a new beginning for our realm. We have lost the art of communicating with the Unseeables over the centuries, and with their help, we'll get it back. My new courtier and her husband are working on educative texts to teach everyone who wants to know what they've learned about the Unseeables. Lord Manuel has become essential to finding and filtering through the new members of my court to do away with the Aracs that once infested this castle. Lord Shi'ran Dul has joined forces with the crew of Lord Valentini's ship to research the ancient sanctuaries that were once lost to us so that we can recover our past. The trading company owned by Lady Kailu's father has helped nurture the relations we share now. Together I believe we can prevent a catastrophe like we've endured to happen again. We still don't know much about the Unseeables. But it has become apparent that knowing is the best way to rid the influence of the Aracs from out world, and even help purge Earth discreetly as well. According to the Ancient Ones, they're still not quite ready or embracive to be completely aware. But when they are, we'll be waiting. So let us toast out champions, who have not only given hope for Caorfi and Earth..." she paused, her eyes getting glossy. "But have also given me the hope that I'll see my mother and father again someday."

"Here, here!"

# # #

"Does Manuel know?" Kailu asked with worry on her face.

"Not yet. I haven't told anyone but Maria when she found me like this back at home."

The nausea passed without too much damage done. Yunara straightened her back and took a deep breath, which helped it pass faster.

Kailu's face turned from worry to excitement. "But I'm so happy for you!"

"Sh!" Yuanra hissed. "I don't want anyone to know yet."

"Sorry, sorry."

"Kai! I've been looking all over for you!" Kailu's father wrapped an arm around her. "There were some people I wanted you to meet. They're people I've traded with from Crila. You'll love them. You too, Yunara!" Then he frowned. "Are you alright, lassy? You don't look so good."

As Yunara tried to find a good excuse, Kailu covered for her. "Papa, leave her alone. You're always being so nosy." she descreetly turned him towards the festivities. "Come on, she's had enough of you."

Kailu winked her way, and Yunara mouthed a "thank you."

She decided not to wait any longer. Now was as good a time as any. She found Manuel chatting with Shi'ran, Youssef, and Luca.

"Come on," Luca was saying to Manuel. "What do you say? It's a classic adventure! How can you not want to come? It's an island off of Crila said to have ancient buried treasure!"

"An ancient sanctuary," Shi'ran corrected.

He shrugged. "Same thing."

"No thanks," Manuel said. "Unlike you, I have a wife I'd rather be around."

"Oh, so you think you're better than an old sea dog, eh?"

"Well–"

"–Excuse me,"Yunara interrupted before it could get any uglier. "Manuel, I want to talk to you, if you don't mind. Alone."

"Of course."

Luca chuckled. "So obedient, Manuel! Which one is the lady here?"

Yunara narrowed her eyes at him, then called him a name in Italian that she'd learned from his other crewmen, leaving him speechless as she walked away with a smirk on her lips.

Manuel laughed. "You're going to have to teach me that one!"

They came out to the garden of the castle, where it all started. A crescent moon smiled on them and doused them in a silvery light as the smell of roses wafted through the air.

"What is it you wanted to tell me?" Manuel asked.

"I-I've been waiting for the right moment to tell you."

"If everything alright? You look unwell." His head went to her forehead. "Are you okay?"

Another wave of nausea was hitting her, but it amused her to see him so worried over nothing.

"No, that's not it. I'm fine," she chuckled.

"Then what is it?"

She took his hand off her head and replaced it on her swollen stomach. "I-I'm pregnant."

Manuel's face displayed a mix of reactions. Shock, excitement, happiness, but most of all, pride. He pulled her into a tight hug.

"O-our child... you're carrying our child. My child." He kissed her cheek, pecked at her lips. "I am so happy, Yunara."

"So am I!"

He took her hands and started rushing towards the castle. "I want to tell everyone. Come on!"

Yunara laughed and started with him, but was stopped as Lorenn appeared just in front of her, making her heart leap out of her chest. It didn't do her stomach many favors, either.

"Congratulations! I'm so happy for you both!"

Manuel sighed. "When will you people learn to stop startling everyone when you appear out of nowhere?"

Lorenn chuckled. "Sorry. See you both later!" she apologized before vanishing again.

Yunara shook her head and laughed, especially as her nausea finally passed completely. "Anyway. Let's go tell the others."

"Wait, before that, I just thought of something I want to do first."

"What?"

He pulled her in close to him and pushed his lips against hers.

And she was happy.

It all started with a lot of grief, right here in this garden. But now it was the beginning of everything anew. A new Ecencia. A new life for her and Manuel. Even for the pirate. Everyone had a fresh start.

Manuel pulled away. "Now we can tell the others." He pushed the doors open. "Everyone! Open another bottle of champagne, I have great news!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 390 38
***WINNER OF MISSMYSTERYGAME'S BOOK OF THE MONTH DECEMBER 2021*** ***2nd PLACE IN THE FANTASY SECTION OF THE PUNK ROCK AWARDS*** In the realm of Glor...
812 118 8
In a realm of fate and fae, Orion has always been destined for greatness. But as the "hero" embarks on his final quest, destiny takes an unexpected t...
1K 8 107
{{CURRENTLY UNDERGOING EDITING}} A kingdom across the sea, a man in pain clawing at a hated king who bears two shadows who protect him. A child, born...
2K 594 31
HEIR OF THE ENCHANTED FOREST MASTER OF MAGIC ********************************** ISABELL AVERY a girl with a flame burning inside. She's the girl wit...