Seeing Through

By Shikhar_Trivedi

When she finds out that she has to move to New York, Sarah's life begins to change. Now, she has to leave all... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Epilogue
Afterword

Chapter 13

3 3 0
By Shikhar_Trivedi

Just five more minutes. Five more minutes and I'll get to go home. I don't even know how I managed to sit around here all day even though I thought I couldn't. I feel very weak. But, I won't run. I'm done running away from this. And even if I wanted to, I won't be able to run away forever. I would eventually get tired and life would catch up with me. And I don't want to do that.

"Hey Sarah, are you feeling alright?"

I turn towards Hope who is sitting right beside me.

"Yeah why?"

"You don't look so good."

"I just feel a little tired. That's all."

"And I think I know why. It's okay Sarah. Everything will return back to normal soon."

"Thanks Hope."

"I'll always be there for you Sarah."

Suddenly the bell starts ringing. Finally, I can go home now.

"Okay class, you need to turn in your essays on chemical bonding next week."

"Let's go Sarah."

"Yeah, let's go."

We walk out of our class and then exit the building.

"Hey, Sarah I've got an idea..."

"I hope it's not one of your crazy ones because we both know how they end."

"With us getting grounded for weeks?"

"Yep."

"Actually, I was thinking that since it is Friday today, we could take a walk at the beach."

"That sounds good to me."

"So, what time shall we meet there?"

"Five o' clock?"

"Five o' clock it is. So, what are your plans for the weekend?"

"I don't know Hope. I'm really not in the mood to make any plans right now."

"That's okay Sarah. I completely understand why. Hey come on, let's go to Burger King and eat some thing."

"Yeah I could use some food right now."

"Just don't stress eat because I don't have that kind of dough."

"Hey!"

I punch her hard on the shoulder.

"Ouch! What was that for?"

"I don't stress eat."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Well, if I remember correctly, I wasn't the one who ate the whole tub of ice cream when we were watching How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days."

"That wasn't stress eating! I was just so engrossed in watching the movie that I didn't notice I had finished the whole tub."

"You didn't even give me a single bite Sarah. You caused me a lot of pain that day."

I start laughing.

"Hey, at least I didn't drink Pepsi six times in a row and then burp loudly and embarrass myself."

She starts laughing.

"Oh my god, I still remember that. It was all because they had free refills."

"Yeah, you got a lot of dirty looks that day Hope."

"Sarah you know what?"

"What?"

"You and I are like a really small gang."

"Yeah, that's true. And I'm glad that no one listens to our conversations. Otherwise we'd end up in a mental hospital."

"What do you mean?"

"For instance, you called me up in the middle of the night and you sounded really sad and got me really worried."

"Oh I remember that one. After that I told you that what I thought was a milk chocolate turned out to be a dark chocolate."

"Like who calls to talk about that in the middle of the night?"

"You're right. We are crazy."

"Let me just call my dad to tell him that I'll be eating outside."

"Yeah sure."

I take out my phone and dial his number.

"Hey Sarah!"

"Hey Dad. I'm going to Burger King with Hope to eat lunch."

"I can't let you do that Sarah."

"Dad please. Hope wants me to go with her."

"Okay, you can go. As long as your mom doesn't find out about this, it's fine."

"Thanks dad!"

I hang up and then put the phone back in my pocket.

"Come on Hope, let's go. I'm really hungry."

__________

Her smile... it was different today. I don't know how, I couldn't help but notice it. It was as if she was hurt badly. And she was hiding it behind her smile because she didn't want people to know that. But she couldn't hide it from me. It's almost like I saw through her smile. She didn't talk to John today, as if she was trying to avoid him. Which could mean only one thing. He was the one who hurt her. But, how could he? How could he even think of doing this to her? How could he even think of hurting her so badly?

"Hey Aaron! Wait up for me!"

I turn around to see John running towards me. Speak of the devil.

"John..."

"Yeah?"

"I need to ask you something."

"Yeah sure."

"Did you shut her out?"

"I'm sorry? Shut who out?"

"Sarah. Did you shut Sarah out?"

I know that I've caught him off guard as he flashes me the I-don't-know-what-you're-talking about smile. I turn around start running. I slam my foot down and run even harder. I need to get as far away from him as possible. How could he do this? How could he shut her out? I now notice the tears which have started rolling down my cheeks. I wipe them off with my hand and keep running.

"Hey! Watch it!" a driver yells as I run in front of his car. I glance over my shoulder and see him looking at me angrily through the open window. I just turn around and ignore him. I would've usually apologized for what I did. But I can't do that right now. I need to get away from John. The thought of him hurting Sarah makes me sick. I never thought he'd do something like this. But, I guess looks can deceive. My cheeks sting from the air. I'm almost out of breath but I keep running. Cars are lined up on the streets. It's just a constant trail of honking and people shouting angrily. That's New York for you. Soon, I reach home. I stop running and try to catch my breath. I look up and see the sky which is as blue as ever with a wisp of clouds on their way to cover the sun. I open the front door and enter the house.

"I'm home mom!"

"Okay sweetie! Wash yourself up and then come to the living room for lunch! I made spaghetti and meatballs today!"

"Okay mom!"

I enter my room and throw my bag on the floor. Then I lie on my bed. I need to do something. I really need to do something. I can't watch her like this. I can't see that smile on her face every day. It pained me so much when I saw her smile. I have to do something about it. But, I can't think of anything right now. I think I'll eat lunch first.

__________

"I hate you Hope."

"I'm sorry?"

"I really hate you. I shouldn't have listened to you."

"Well, I only told you that they had free fries today you were the one who ate them."

"You shouldn't have told me that, I'm so full that I can't walk properly!"

"Well, you shouldn't have eaten so much then."

"It's not my fault that I find fries irresistible."

"You're not the only one who's full Sarah. I ate four burgers too."

"Hey, this reminds me of the time when I invited you over to my house for the first time."

"Oh I remember that. We ordered so much pizza."

"And we nearly died from eating so much of it."

"Ha-ha, that's true. Oh my god, I totally forgot! Your birthday is this month isn't it?"

"Yep."

"So what are your plans for your birthday?"

"Well, I was thinking that we could go to the Green Day concert. Luckily, it's on the same day."

"And how do you plan to get the tickets?"

"I'll request my parents to get me those."

"Request?"

"Okay okay. I'll beg my parents to get me the tickets."

"Yeah, that sounds about right."

Soon, we arrive in front of my home.

"Well, thanks for the lunch Hope."

"You're welcome Sarah. See you tonight."

"Bye."

I enter my house and close the door behind me.

__________

"Thanks for the lunch mom."

"You're welcome sweetie. And don't forget to do your home work before you do anything else."

"I know mom."

I enter my room and throw myself on the bed. I think I know what I have to do. I have to help her. Maybe that way, I'll be able to get that smile back on her face. I pick up my phone and dial her number.

__________

"Hello?"

"Hey Sarah, it's Aaron."

"Oh hey Aaron!"

"What's up?"

"The roof I think."

"Oh my god not that joke please."

"Ha-ha, I'm listening to music. What about you?"

"Well, I was just reading a book."

"Really? Which one?"

"The Martian."

"Hmm... I think I've read that. It's about an astronaut who gets stranded on mars right?"

"Yep."

"Oh wait I think I know you. You're that shy guy in class aren't you."

"Well yeah... but, you can think of me as someone who prefers quality of friends over quantity of friends."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"So, tell me something about yourself."

"Sure. I love reading books and playing games. And I love listening to music. Like a lot. I do some sketching as well. I watch anime sometimes too."

"Hey, I watch anime too!"

"Really? Which one is your favorite?"

"Dragon Ball Z."

"That's probably one of the best anime to date."

"You're right."

"So, tell me something about yourself now."

"Okay so, I love to play games and read books. I listen to a lot of music. And I love eating chocolates. I have a shelf full of them. I also love to play pranks on friends."

"So, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure!"

"Do you believe in love?"

"No. I don't."

"Why? I mean, people say that falling in love is the best thing that can happen to you right?"

"Well, yeah. But it can also be the worst thing that can happen to you. It's completely unpredictable and it can hurt you in ways you can't even imagine."

"That's true. So, you love playing pranks right?"

"Yep."

"What's the best prank you've played on anyone?"

"So, there was this time when it was my friend's birthday, and I stuffed her car with lots of teddy bears and balloons."

"Ha-ha. That's funny and sweet at the same time."

"Now tell me the best prank that you have played on someone. I bet that your prank won't be better than mine."

"Well, my best prank was the old whoopee cushion with a twist."

"What twist?"

"A movie hall crowded with people."

I start laughing.

"I guess that I just lost the bet."

__________

Hearing your laugh is one of the best things in the world. It's beautiful, even though it seems as if you're gasping for breath instead of laughing.

__________

"I guess you did. So, tell me, how did you move here?"

"Well, my mom is an accountant at Apple, and she got transferred to the branch in New York."

"I can bet that it was really difficult to leave all your friends."

"Yeah, it was actually. But I soon made a friend here who made me feel like home."

"That's good to hear?"

"What about you? I don't mean to be rude but I usually see you sitting by yourself in the corner of the class."

"Well, I like to be by myself most of the time."

"You're afraid of interacting with new people because you think they will judge you, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, let me tell you something. You can't let people judge you. They don't define who you are. You define who you are."

"That's actually inspiring. Thanks Sarah."

"You're welcome Aaron. Now, I officially declare you as my good friend."

"I'm honored milady."

"You're welcome good sir."

"Well I have to go now, I'm feeling really hungry."

"Ha-ha, bye Aaron."

"Bye Sarah."

__________

I hang up the phone and set it aside. I can't help but smile now. It felt so nice to hear her laugh. I hope that I'll be able to bring that smile on her face someday.

"Aaron?"

I turn around to see mom standing at the door.

"Hey mom."

She enters the room and sits on the bed.

"Who were you talking to?"

"Sarah."

"And I'm pretty sure it wasn't about homework."

"No. It wasn't. It's something more complicated than just homework."

"Go ahead."

"Mom, do you believe that love can make you do things which you didn't think you could do?"

"Well, that depends on how much you love the person. Why? What's wrong?"

"Well, when I went to college today and saw Sarah, she seemed different. At first I thought that it was because I was seeing her after almost two months. But then I noticed her smile, it was almost as if she was trying to hide her pain behind it. I immediately knew that she was faking the smile."

"So, you're telling me that you saw through her?"

"Yeah and that's why I decided to help her."

"Help her? How?"

"By being a good friend to her."

"But, you do plan to tell her that you love her right?"

"I do. But, I can't tell her right now. I... won't tell her right now."

"I believe that you'll be able to help her Aaron."

"Thanks mom. Well, I better start my homework, it's almost five o' clock."

__________

I dig my feet into the soft grainy sand and feel it tickle my toes. The sun's rays peacefully float, resting on the warm waters. Timid clouds are rarely exposed, leaving the sky to beam blue. The beach has always been my go-to place. I remember when I went to Miami last summer with mom and dad. I had a lot of fun there.

"Hey Sarah!"

I turn around to see Hope running towards me.

"How did you get here so fast?"

"Well, I drove here."

"Drove here?"

"Yeah. Not everyone is grounded like you Hope."

"Ha-ha. That's true. Come on, let's get some ice cream first."

We walk towards an ice cream vendor.

"I'm guessing you'll take vanilla as always?"

"Yep."

After getting the ice cream, we walk towards a quiet spot on the beach and sit down on the sand.

"I would've been earlier, but I was talking to a friend of mine."

"Who was it?"

"Aaron."

"Aaron?"

"Yeah. Now that I come to think of it, he is a really nice guy to talk to."

"By the way, I forgot to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"I won't be here on your birthday."

"What?"

"I have to attend a wedding."

"But it won't be the same without you Hope."

"I know Sarah, but I have to go. Promise me that you'll have fun on your birthday even though I won't be there."

"I promise you Hope."

"And you are planning to come on the field trip on Monday right?"

"Field trip? Where are we going?"

"We are going to the Museum Of Natural History."

"Yeah, don't worry, I won't miss it."

We finish eating our ice cream and get up. I step back in surprise as Hope takes a handful of wet sand and throws it at me.

"Hey! What was that for?"

"Come on Sarah, don't you enjoy being a kid?"

"Yes I do."

I take a handful of sand and water and throw it at her.

"The first one to get five hits wins."

"Well, don't cry when you lose Hope."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 3.4K 26
-Sequel to Broken- Emily has finally come out of her coma. She made it through the hell she called high school and is on her way to college. When she...
Loose Ends By Alice

Teen Fiction

635 22 21
After her mum loses her job, Caley Burbank is forced to return to her old school where she had left people heartbroken. How can she fix her reputati...
1K 155 25
Michelle moves out of Sacramento, away from her parents to escape her past. All she wants is for people to leave her alone. New York could be the pla...
47.6K 1.7K 97
Meet Sarah, 20 years, a sweet and tender-hearted young girl, who, despite facing the harshness of life, always puts others' needs before her own. Her...