Unleashed

By Radimont

On the other side of the story, is Rosie Dehli a new teenager getting adopted to a new set of parents. Suspic... More

Β·Author's NoteΒ·
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-seven
Thirty-eight
Thirty-nine
Forty

Thirty-six

1 0 0
By Radimont

WE STALK THE quiet hallways once we are done getting ready. I hand Malcolm my bag, knowing he needs it for evidence. We pause in front of a hallway that forks off into two different paths. I try to rack my memory of the whole layout of the building.

"Left is the dormitories, right is everything else." Malcolm reminds me as if sensing my confusion. I nod quietly, taking a long breath in. "Who should I get first?" I whisper, although no one is around us.

Malcolm lifts my bag onto his shoulder. "Leah. She can cut off the communication, surveillance, lights, everything." I bob my head in understanding. "Got it. I suppose your dorms will be the nicer looking ones?" I ask with a lift of an eyebrow. Malcolm frowns at me. "What makes you say that?"

I give him a flat look. "Please, Davison favorites you and your sister more than any of us. You've been loyal to him more than any of us." I don't mean it as a jab, but Malcolm slightly flinches. I swallow hard, knowing it sounded low. "I didn't mean----"

"Just find my sister, Rosie." Malcolm cuts me off with his cold voice.

He turns away from me, heading down the hall we had come from. I sigh, shaking my head as I make my way to the left hall. My eyes trail up toward the walls, scourging for any cameras. As I near the dormitory doors, I notice more red lights blinking in the dark.

I press my back again a wall, contemplating if I should move the cameras away from me. But I quickly remind myself that that will alert whoever is on the other side of the lens. I edge closer to a door, my hands pressing against the wall.

As I make myself around it, I realize the door is wooden. Unlike the other metallic dorm doors that are locked from keeping everyone in. I turn around, blinking down at the simple handle. My hand wraps around it, pushing it down. The door doesn't make a sound to my surprise.

I take a quiet step inside, letting the door close behind me. My eyes widen as I try to adjust my vision in the dark. I can make out the silhouette of a bed to my right, and another one parallel to it. I take a tentative step closer, not sure if I'm seeing strange things.

"So you came back after all." Says a snide British voice to my left.

I jump back from the sudden noise, almost bumping into the door. A light clicks on, flooding the room with a dim yellow light. I blink rapidly as my eyes adjust to the sudden brightness. My eyes scan the whole dorm. I come to the realization that I was right. Davison does seem to have favorites among his followers.

There are two twin sized beds on each side. The small space between them leads to a walk in closet. A multiple cabinet storage table stands beside the wall in closet. My eyes trail to the bed, landing on the source of the voice.

"Leah." My voice floods with relief.

Malcolm's sister doesn't seem to have changed one ounce. Her sharp blue eyes stare at me with annoyance as she sits up from her bed. Her raven black hair is tied back neatly into a plain braid. Her elegant cheekbones seem to pop out as she purses her lips.

Her skin is still pale as I remember. Her icy eyes stare at me without emotion, reminding me of how old she looks despite her young age. But her beauty confuses me the most, how can someone look so good after waking up? "You don't seem too happy to see me." I remark, walking over to side on the bed opposite of her. As I sink into the soft mattress, I come to realize it's Malcolm's bed.

I almost jump away from it.

"Of course I am, Rosie. But being awaken by your loud and confusing thoughts is like a blow horn to my brain." She snaps, throwing the blankets off of her as she swings her legs over the edge of her bed. My eyes widen.

"You can read my mind?" I ask with a slight tremor in my voice. I instantly transfer my power to my mind, concentrating on pulling a protective layer around my head. Leah must feel this, because she slightly jolts. "No," she answers in an irritated tone. "Don't you remember? I can only read minds when I touch. But I do sense strong thoughts whenever someone is near me."

I let out a relieved breath, slowing letting the protective layer in my mind to slide down. Leah pushes herself to her feet, yawning as she stretches. I blink at her, noticing that she is fully dressed. A dark blue long sleeved shirt, with light jeans. "Did you know I was coming?" I ask.

Leah turns away from, walking over to the closet. "No, but I suspected you were going to. Besides, I always sleep with an outfit on in case of an emergency. Don't you?" She answers. I almost chuckle, shaking my head as I grow warm knowing that the same sassy Leah hasn't changed one bit.

"Malcolm sent me to----"

"I know, I know." Leah mutters as she comes out of the closet holding a pair of sneakers. I cock my head curiously. "You do?" She bobs her head. "Before he left, I read his mind. I know what he wanted to do." Leah says casually, as if reading your brothers mind is a daily routine any human does.

I swallow hard. Leah looks up, frowning. "Blimey, Rosie. If you're thinking I did it out of malice or something, you clearly are mistaken." She says, shaking her head as she continues to tie her shoes. My shoulders relax. "It's something Malcolm always made me do. He makes me read his mind before he does something important to see if his intentions are true."

"And are they?" I prompt. "His intentions, I mean." I clarify. Leah stands to her feet, dusting her jeans off. "Of course they are. Believe it or not, he loves you Rosie. I'm sure he told you." She tells me, walking over to the door.

I stay quiet, guilt swelling inside of me as I realize Malcolm might not have been lying to me. Leah opens the door quietly, slipping out. I force myself off the bed. I follow her into the hallway looking around until my eyes land on her.

She presses herself against the wall, making her way back into the main hallway where I came from. As I take a step toward her, she holds out a hand. "Wait here. I will get to the control room myself. I will send you a signal myself." Leah tells me as she turns away and sprints out of sight.

I let out a quiet sigh as I slump against the wall. I grow anxious as I come to realize Katherine and Logan are only a few doors down, waiting to be set free. With a dreading thought, I remember that Katherine has been taken away from for testing. I cast a weary glance down the hall.

Once Leah cuts out the surveillance, I will be about to look for Katherine at peace. I'm not sure how I can avoid Davison but I can manage. I have heard whispers of his unusual power of being able to cut off others. I'm not quite sure as to how I got away when he could have easily cut mine off, but I'm grateful for it.

A few agonizing minutes tick by before I hear the nearest camera beside me begin to whir. It moves towards me, its lens staring straight at me. It goes down and up once, as if nodding. I take it as a go and start forward. As I pass the cameras openly, relief floods through me as no security guards come rushing forward.

I reach the first door, glancing up at the camera stationed right above it. The door buzzes open as a small green light blinks on. I step back, raising my hand. I let my power surge through my hand and latch onto the door. With a gentle tug, the heavy metal door groans open.

I take a step inside, looking around for the light. My hands fumble on the wall next to me until a switch switches on. An eerie yellow light casts the whole room into brightness. I squint, my eyes wandering around the room. Two sets of bunk beds sit on each side of the small room.

As my vision clears, I realize there's some sort of familiarity. I glance at the bottom bunks, where no one is sleeping. Puzzled, I straight, making myself to the nearest top bunk when a blur enters my vision. Before I can register my confusion a body slams into me.

My back smacks against the metal door, making me groan. I instinctively push both of my hands out. The body flails away from me in a blur, knocking against the far wall. My hands fall down to my sides as I peel myself off the door.

"I'm not here to hurt you. I just came in----"

"Rosie?" A hushed voice calls.

My eyes widen towards the person I have just pushed away. Did the voice come from there? I think in bewilderment. I take a hesitating step forward. "Hello?" I whisper, not sure if I heard right. The person at the far wall picks themself up, edging toward the light.

The first thing I notice are two warm hazel eyes that I immediately recognize. Next comes the curly hair and beautiful light brown skin. I run to him without a second thought, my arms wrapping around him.

Rave hugs me back tightly, choking out in relief. "Rosie. You came back." He breathes. I nod against his shoulder, trying to blink away the tears welling up in my eyes. We stand in the silence for a few seconds before Rave coughs. He wheezes, struggling against my grip. "Rosie... um..." he chokes. I immediately let go, drawing myself back.

"Sorry," I say quickly, heat rushing to my face as I realize that I let my power consume my happiness. Rave inhales a huge breath, grinning at me as if my power didn't almost suffocate him. He runs a hand through his hair, staring at me with disbelief and joy.

"You came back, I can't believe it. Why are you here? The girls... they told me about you running away." He says with wide eyes. I nod. "Harold already knew about me snooping around and he was going to do something to me if I didn't run." I explain quickly. Rave nods in understanding. "Of course, I'm glad you made it out on time."

My smiles twitches as I look around. "Isn't this Logan's room?" Rave's face grows pink as he rubs his hand behind his neck. "Yeah, I've just been staying with her these past months. I... She just needs all the support she can get." He says seriously. Concern flashes within me.

"Why? Where is she?" My heartbeat flutters. Rave jerks his chin toward the top bunk I was just about to look into a few moments ago. "She's sleeping. Lo has become... a heavy sleeper since you left." He says. The sound of her old nickname makes my smile return to my face.

Rave blurs out of sight, appearing on the top bunk. He murmurs quietly, shaking someone. After a few seconds, a groan and a few mutterings reach my ears. My pulse spikes as I grow excited to see my friend. Rave grabs something, and blurs out of sight.

He appears in front of me again, only this time, with Logan next to him. I grin, rushing meet her when I come to a skidding halt. My grin falters as I realize how Logan looks. She leans over Rave for complete support, as if her legs can't support her weight.

Her face has definitely thinned out, her cheekbones and sunken eyes becoming noticeable. Her curly bronzed hair as I remember looks to have been leached out of color. Her pale skin makes her well-known freckles seem to have disappeared. She wears a thin hospital gown, leaving her thin arms and legs bare.

Horror courses through me as my eyes trail down. Bruises and needle injections decorate her limbs, drawing my conclusion that she has been tested on. Her head nimbly rises, her glassy eyes meeting mine. I swallow hard, newly found fury and hatred towards Davison revolting its way through me.

It takes all of my will not to storm out and choke the life out of him right at this moment. I take a small step toward Logan. "What did they do to you?" I murmur, stretching my arms toward her. Rave helps her shuffle toward me. "Rosie." Her cracked lips barely open as she whispers my name.

As Rave helps her into my arms, I hug her tightly. Her cold body presses against me with need. Although she barely speaks, I can feel her joy through the urgency of her fingers digging into my back. As Rave steps back, I use my physical strength and power to keep her up right.

        Her complete weight rests against me. I struggle to keep the balance of my power from suffocating her. Logan's body shudders, her bony frame gently jerking against. The sudden worry ceases as I come to realize she's crying.

"I... I thought I'd never seen you again." Her hoarse voice reaches me ears. I cradle the back her head, my heart tightening painfully at her words. "Don't cry, I'm here now. I'm here." I murmur, closing my eyes. "And I'm going to get you out." I add with a fierce whisper.

    Logan shakes her head, pushing herself away from me. Perplexed, I draw away gently. My hands stay planted on her arms, keeping her close to me. With nostrils flared, I continue to use half of my concentration to keep her upright.

Her dry lips crack into what must be a smile. "You don't have to do that." Logan tells me, referring to my ability holding her up. I shake my head at her silly comment. "But what do you mean no? When I said I'll get you out." I ask.

Logan grows somber, causing the situation return to its seriousness. "Harold is getting more powerful, he's been testing on us since you left. His... His power isn't the same anymore." She says, wincing as her hand touches the base of her throat. Rave jumps in, taking her by the shoulders.

           I softly drop my hold on her, letting her ease into Rave's embrace. Logan swallows hard, wincing. "Don't force yourself, Lo. I got you." Rave says, helping her sit down on the nearest bed. Once she's settled, he bounces back to face me.

"The testing on mutants is giving him a different effect, Rosie." Rave starts out. My eyes linger on Logan's shriveled form before snapping back to Rave's steady gaze.

"What he's been trying to accomplish is to suck the life, the power out of us so he can gain it. I'm not quite sure why he wants Katherine's and Logan's power. Maybe because they disobeyed him----"

"Rave." I snap.

      He shakes his head, a blur of a movement. "Sorry. Anyways, his power before he began testing on himself, was to be able to stop others' abilities. Like smothering a candle. And he was able to do that with a touch. Now... The testing went wrong and he can inherit the powers of whoever he touches. I'm not sure if he can control it, but that's the results." Rave says quickly.

A chill crawls down my back. Now he won't have a reason to use the machine. He could touch anyone and his goal would be achieved. "So initially his plan worked." I whisper with dread. Rave nods. "No one dares to get near him. We don't know if you can gain your powers back." He says quietly.

    I run a hand through my hair. Rave squints at my head. "Is your hair wet?" I shake my head. "That's not the point right now. We need to get every one out of here right now. None of us know what he's planning." I say as I take a few steps back.

Rave's eyes grow wide. "Everyone? Out? Rosie you can't possibly get through----"

"Malcolm and Leah are helping me. Take me to Katherine and the rest, Rave. We need to get moving." I say as I walk over to the metal door. Rave considers this for a quick moment before shrugging and blurring away. I see a whisp of a figure kiss Logan on the cheek before appearing at my side.

     Giving him a firm nod, I bring my hand back. Energy runs through my arm and connects with the door. It envelopes the door handle quickly and tugs on it hard. It swings open easily. I step out, glancing up at the camera stationed over the door. The camera moves up and down, as if nodding, giving me confirmation of Leah's presence.

Rave whistles as he joins my side. "I see you telekinesis powers have improved." He says with a grin. I purse my lips, not in the mood to joke around. "Take me to Katherine and then stay with Logan." I tell him. Rave nods, taking a step next to me.

          "Be careful, you might feel a tad nauseous." He tells me with a wink. His hand presses against the back of my head tightly. I frown at him. "Whiplash," he shrugs. Without warning, we are thrusted forward. A great force knocks against me. It would have sent me reeling backward if it wasn't for Rave's hold on me.

All my intestines seem to be squeezed together. My stomach drops as the rollercoaster feeling quickly washes over me. My hair whips back, yanking my face tightly. I don't even feel my legs moving. It all lasts less than a second before gravity crashes down on me.

       I topple over, my shaking hands gripping my knees as my stomach squelchs. Rave let's go of me, giving me room to breathe. My hair flops to the sides of my face. My chest shudders as the heavy air drops on me. My lungs contract.

I would puke if I had eaten anything. I hug my stomach as I slowly straighten. "That. Was----"

"Amazing, right?" Rave beams.

    I shoot him a glare. "How about a warning next time?" I say through my teeth. Rave holds his hands up. "I was just trying to be uh... quick." He chuckles. I roll my eyes. As I look back at Rave, I realize he's gone.

I glance at the door ahead of me, taking a deep breath before ripping the door open.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.7M 2.8M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
403K 14.6K 192
(BEING RE-PROOFREAD ATM) Won Yoo-ha, a trainee unfairly deprived of the opportunity to appear on a survival program scheduled to hit the jackpot, bec...
22.3M 786K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...