Contrite ✓

By -choleric

Best friends since they were kids, Ella is devastated when Harry leaves. Despite their promises of keeping in... More

Note.
Prologue.
Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Chapter 31.
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33.
Chapter 34.
Chapter 35.
Chapter 36.
Chapter 37.
Chapter 38.
Chapter 39.
Chapter 40.
Chapter 41.
Chapter 42.
Chapter 43.
Chapter 44.
Chapter 45.
Epilogue.

Chapter 28.

3.9K 108 44
By -choleric

I spent the bigger part of my Friday afternoon doing laundry and anxiously waiting for night to fall. I didn't exactly know why I was nervous about going to Harry's, other than that Dylan would be there. And perhaps because I'd never been to Harry's place before. I realised I didn't even know where it was.

Putting the fabric softener away, I grabbed my phone from the back pocket of my jeans and sent him a text, asking for his address. He answered quickly and told me he would pick me up around eight so that he could take me there.

Harry: Would you like to hear a joke?

I snorted, knowing that he was a self-proclaimed comedian and thought he was hilarious. Trying to ignore the pang in my chest because it had been over four years since I'd heard one of his stupid puns, I told him yes.

Harry: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

I stared at the screen for several minutes before I burst out laughing.

Me: Do you have more?

Harry: Greedy now, are we? I'll tell you tonight. It won't work like this x

Still giggling, I hoisted the laundry bin up to my hip and strolled into my bedroom to put the last clothes away.

When I'd showered and changed clothes five times, there was finally a knock on the front door stopping me from changing yet again. I found a grinning Harry on the other side, hands shoved into his pockets.

"Hi."

"Hi," I breathed out, matching his smile.

"You ready?"

"Yeah, let me just grab my phone."

As I walked down the driveway to his car, I marvelled over the fact that the summer warmth still lingered. I did not look forward to when I had to bring out my coats, hats and gloves. I wished it could be summer all year around, it surely would make life easier.

"What are you smiling about?" Harry chuckled.

"I'm just enjoying the weather. I like it when it's hot and I don't need to wear jeans or coats."

"I agree," he mumbled and eyed my bare legs deliberately.

My cheeks flushed at his devouring look. "Stop staring," I muttered and climbed into his car.

I heard him laugh quietly after he'd closed the door for me and I smiled at the sound.

"So, what are the plans for tonight?" I asked as he got in behind the wheel and drove off.

He shrugged. "Nothing special, just pizza and maybe a movie or something."

"Sounds perfect."

I glanced over at him manoeuvring the car and a wave of warmth flooded my body. What was it with me and watching hot boys drive cars? The way he lazily had one big hand on the steering wheel while the other grabbed the gear shift had me all kinds of excited.

The fact that he was one of the most beautiful persons I knew of didn't make it easier to restrain from jumping him.

He shot me a look and grinned when our eyes collided. "Seeing something you like?"

I winced, remembering when Adam had uttered similar words all those weeks ago when we were headed to the restaurant for date night.

"Yeah. . ." I mumbled and tore my eyes away from him.

"Do you mind if I smoke?" Harry asked, making my head snap up.

"Um, no. . . not really."

Letting his hand go from the gear shift, he patted his front pocket and pulled out a cigarette packet. With one hand he managed to take one out and put it between his lips. He lit it and took a deep drag, rolling down the window as he blew the smoke out.

"When did you start smoking?"

The Harry I knew from before hated everything that had to do with cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. That was probably the hardest part of getting to know him again; to accept the fact that he now was involved with all of those things.

"Three years ago, I guess," he said.

"Oh."

I watched him as he puckered his lips around the stick, inhaling effortlessly and parted them again to blow out the toxic steams. Even though I didn't want to admit it, he looked quite hot doing it.

"You don't like it," he stated.

"I just. . . I really don't have anything to say about it. It's your choice."

"I want to quit, but this fucking job is stressing me out. I know it's a lame excuse but I promise I'll stop someday." He offered me a lopsided smile.

I nodded and looked out of the window, realising I'd completely missed which way we were going. I didn't recognise the area and guessed we were in the outskirts of town.

"We're here," Harry said suddenly and put his cigarette out as he parked the car.

I got out and was surprised to see how nice the neighbourhood seemed. I wasn't sure what I had expected but this wasn't it. Rows of houses were lined along the narrow street, the gardens looking well kept and fancy cars parked in every driveway.

Harry came around the car and placed himself in front of me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and tugged me closer to him. I could feel the beating of his heart through his shirt, the steady rhythm matching the one from my own.

His scent overtook my senses and I had to hold on to his biceps as to not fall to the ground. He brushed his nose against mine before pressing his lips to my forehead.

"Hi," he smiled, making his dimples show.

I giggled and gave him a peck on the mouth. "Hi yourself."

Harry stepped back and grabbed my hand in his, intertwining our fingers. "Let's get inside. I want to show you something."

I followed him up to the door and patiently waited as he fumbled with the keys. Once he got the door open, he gestured for me to step inside first.

"This is really pretty, Harry," I said when I stepped inside and glanced around.

Not a single item out of place, everything was looking tidy. I was happy to see that he at least hadn't lost his tendency to keep things neat. The walls were painted in a light, cream colour and the furniture was white and sleek.

As I made my way into the living room, I spotted a guitar resting against the wall in the far corner and a huge flat screen facing the comfy looking sofa.

Maybe I could make him sing something tonight. I wondered if he still wrote songs, or if he'd given that up after New York.

"Thanks," he mumbled and plopped down in the sofa, putting his hands behind his neck.

His eyes never left me as I padded around the room, looking at the different paintings and photographs lining the walls.

I froze at one particular picture, the biggest one yet, hanging beside the TV. As I took in the smiling faces, I felt a smile stretch my lips. Harry had framed a picture of me and him. I remembered the day it was taken clearly, just a few weeks before he left.

We had spent the afternoon by the lake, swimming and playing various water games. Both of us had gotten burned by the sun quite badly and had to use an entire bottle of aloe vera gel to soothe it. His mum had laughed as she saw our faces when we got home and insisted on taking a photo.

I was leaning my head onto his shoulder and his arm was resting around my shoulders. I looked straight into the camera with a satisfied grin on my lips. Harry was tilting his head away slightly, his eyes focused on me. He wore a small smile and a look of adoration in his eyes.

I gulped and turned around to the same but yet so different boy, who was waiting for my reaction.

"I never got to see this picture. I love it," I said softly and sat down beside him, a heavy feeling of nostalgia resting in my heart.

Harry smiled and took my hand, pulling it to his lips to kiss my knuckles lightly. "I love it, too. That's why I thought I should frame it."

As I sat there staring into his emerald eyes, it hit me. It was so clear and came rushing so fast, almost making me gasp. But I couldn't avoid or deny it any longer.

I was in love with Harry.

Even though he'd acted like a twat when he first got back, the little things he'd said and done since then overshadowed the bad ones. He was still my Harry; kind, caring and in possession of the biggest heart.

The way he had gotten himself involved in my troubles with Adam, how he'd fired Heather as soon as he found out what she was up to, him being worried about Cole causing me harm and the fact that he'd never given up on me. I'd told him off multiple times, acted like a complete bitch and still he came back every time.

I loved him. So much my heart felt like it was going to explode if I didn't tell him.

"What are you thinking?" he whispered and grazed his knuckles over my cheek.

I took a deep breath. Was I really doing this? Maybe it was too soon. What if I scared him off? But why would he bother framing a picture of us if he didn't care about me? And the way he always seemed to find excuses to touch me, kiss me.

He was looking at me expectantly now, his green eyes wide and glittering.

"I. . . I probably shouldn't say this. But I think I'm—"

A loud knock on the front door made the both of us jump and I cursed under my breath.

Harry chuckled and released my hand. "Hold that thought."

As he rose from the sofa to let Dylan in, I exhaled a shaky breath. Had I really been on my way to tell Harry I was in love with him? I felt my face getting hot and sent Dylan a blessing thought for interrupting.

I was so stupid.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167 0 14
Louis and Harry have been best mates since they were 8 years old, as time grew so did their friendship and the feelings behind it. Harry soon realizi...
834 79 21
"Oh no I'm really dead!! I'm talking to an immortal!!" ** ** ** When a little girl grows up not knowi...
1.1K 13 9
Childhood friends, Audrey and Louis, met each other again when she came out to London to visit. She's had feelings for him ever since the accident, b...
465K 13K 40
Ever wondered why time goes by so quickly? It has been years since Emma and Harry last saw each other. He regretted letting her go, and she regrette...