Bed of Roses [N. Romanoff]

By TanaMatt

[I wanna lay you down in a bed of roses, For tonight I'll sleep on a bed of nails. Oh, I wanna be just as clo... More

Disclaimer
Part 1: Bed of Roses
Just The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Ending of Part 1
Part 2: Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 2.6
Chapter 2.7
Chapter 2.9
Chapter 2.10
Chapter 2.11
Chapter 2.12
Chapter 2.13
Chapter 2.14
Chapter 2.15
Chapter 2.16
Chapter 2.17
Chapter 2.18
Chapter 2.19
Chapter 2.20
The End of Part 2
Bed of Roses 100k Gift
BOR II

Chapter 2.8

3.7K 156 101
By TanaMatt

"Rogers?" Bailey called out, looking between the two corridors.

"Steve..." She called again, finally noticing his figure down one of the staircases.

He leant against the railing, hand on his nose bridge and eyes help tightly shut. It took a good eye, but she could see the glistened tear barely poking out.

She could feel a frown dip on her face at the sight, and took a step down the stair case, closer to him. Balancing herself by holding onto the rail, she continued to slowly move forward.

"Steve?" she softly asked him, placing a hand on his bicep.

His head rose from where he pinched his nose, and the red eyes looked into her own blue ones.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

Without a second to spare, he just drew her in for a hug. Wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him closer, she allowed the comforting to continue. The man was hurting and she could only pray that he would open up to her about it.

"You'll be all right, its fine," she soothed, rubbing the back of his shoulders and gently patting him in a calming matter.

"Peggy..." he whispered out, a crack in his voice.

"I know... I know how it feels. I'm here for you during this time," she reassured him, pulling back from the hug and resting her hands on his shoulders as she genuinely smiled a sympathetic smile at him.

"Gone... forever. Bailey, I'll never get to talk to her again... It's like waking up from the ice all over again. I got nothing..."

"That's not entirely true... you have us, you have me, and Nat, and Sam... The list could go on and on forever, Steve," she smiled and wiped away a tear that was running down his check.

"I do... I do. I'm still gonna miss her, though."

"I wouldn't think you as a human if you didn't," she dropped her hands, and held one open in front of her inviting him to take a hold of it.

In one, slouched move, he placed his hand in hers and held on tightly.

"Will there be a Memorial?" she asked him.

"Funeral's at London, in two days," he replied, keeping his gaze locked on their intertwined hands.

"Same day as..."

"Vienna signing. Yeah, I realised," he let out a bitter chuckle.

"You're not gonna sign, are you?" she asked him.

"I didn't think you were either," his face looked up to meet her stare once more.

Tears still brimmed the corner of his eyes, and Bax could tell he was holding back the shaky feeling.

"One does what they must," she shrugged.

"Don't give your own freedom up for it, though," he swung their hands back and then forth, furrowing his eyebrows in concern.

"Don't worry about me. Worry about yourself, and what you're going to wear to visit Your Best Girl," she smiled at him, pulling his hand towards her to bring him stumbling back into her arms once again.

This time she wrapped her arms around his waist, one resting higher on his back than the other and her palms spread out flat.

Slowly he lowered his own arms on her, one hand on the shoulders and another holding the back of her head to his chest. This time he could feel the comfort in her squeeze, and felt more in place with the hug.

"You might be the best hug-giver I've ever known," he laughed, closing his eyes and holding her closer.

"You must not get a lot of hugs," she chuckled, muffled a little due to being pressed against his chest.

"Don't know when I last had one," his eyes continued squeezed shut, enjoying the moment and the need to no longer cry.

"Really? No one gave you a hug when you woke up? Damn, rough crowd," she laughed at her own joke.

"I think that was the last thing on everyone's mind," he withdrew himself from Bailey, opening his eyes to the world again.

Bailey smiled once more at him, happy to see that he was back in a playful mood. She expected Peggy Carter's death to take a major toll on the Soldier, and she would be next to him every step of the way, or at least make sure someone was with him.

"You should take Sam with," she nodded her head in the direction of the top of the stairs, "Moral support, you know?"

"Maybe I take you both. Doesn't seem either one of you will be in Vienna."

Bailey stared back up the stairs, a flash of red hair stained her thoughts. She would have to talk this over with Nat... Maybe she could be convinced to sign, maybe Tony always knows what's best for humanity. The Avengers might've stepped over the line a couple of times and it could be due time to be put back into their place.

"I'll have to get back to you on that..." she sighed, and looked back to Steve.

He nodded knowingly, "You do what you must for love," he shrugged, understanding.

"And damn, I might love this woman." She squeaked, which he laughed at in return, happy to see the love start somewhere.

Bailey breathed in a whiff of fresh air. She let a grin fall onto her face, looking back to Nat following behind her, up the stairs to the house on a farm.

She fell in line next to Bax at they reached the front door after climbing a full hill to get to where they stood. Clint Barton smiled back at them, greeting each of the girls with warm hugs and directing them through to the living room where Laura sat with Nathaniel in her arms.

From the first glance at the young boy, Bax squealed and held out her arms for him. Nat then threatened to fight her for the first touch of their nephew. Natasha won.

They all sat down like a family reunion, and spoke about practically anything to ease their minds. Lila and Cooper had run in at some point of the day, begging for food and realising their Aunts were over.

Lila then showed them her new swing set her dad had crafted, and Cooper bragged about how he could hit the target in the barn using the bow and arrow now.

Bailey loved seeing the kids again, and loved meeting Nathaniel for the first time. It was like a scene from a book, only happiness clouded the atmosphere, and the picture would be recalled with a bright yellow filter to it from the perfection of the sunny day.

At least until the rest of The Avengers were brought up, and Bax had pulled Clint into a discussion about the accords.

"I mean, I've retired man. There's not much you could do with my signature," he shrugged, clutching a glass full of beer tighter at the topic change.

Bailey sighed, "You're lucky... All this pressure of making the right decision when I'm pretty sure they're both wrong."

"What's Tasha doing?' he asked her.

They both made a brief glance to where the Red-Head sat with Laura, laughing on and joking about Nate and the type of boy he would grow up to be.

"She looks like she will sign... Agrees with Tony on this."

"You sure?' he asked her.

"Yeah, admitted he was right in front of everyone- I know, shocking," she laughed at the disbelief on Clint's face.

"I don't buy it. She's planned something," he shook his head.

"I thought so too... but the more we spoke about it, I could realise just how much she thought this would be the right thing to do," she sighed, glancing over her shoulder at the gorgeous woman again.

"When do you guys fly out?"

"Tomorrow," Bax replied, raising her eyebrow, "But what's that got to do with anything?"

"I'm just checking... I don't think Nat agreeing with Tony is just a coincidence or something to do with morals and values. I think it has to do with Ross, and keeping in the loop," he suggested.

"Why would Nat want to sacrifice her freedom just to know what was going on?'

"That's something you get to ask her," he laughed, and then his attention was caught by something behind Bailey, "And looks like your opportunity has arisen sooner than expected. Good luck," he patted her shoulder, and walked past her.

Bailey's eyes followed where he walked off, and noticed Nat's figure growing closer to her.

"What did the old man say?" she smiled.

"Well... what he didn't say was anything useful, that's for sure."

"He tell you to sign?" she asked, a smile on her lips.

"He didn't specifically say 'don't sign'."

"Stop beating around the bush and tell me already."

"Okay. He told me to figure out what you had planned first. He doesn't understand why you agreed so easily-"

"I told you-"

"You have reasons. Yes, I know. But Nat, are you sure you didn't find a loophole and won't let me in on it?" Bailey raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms.

Nat sighed, "I don't think you should sign."

"Why's that?" she furrowed her eyebrows, shoulders slumped down more from the confusion.

"Because The Sokovia Accords aren't meant for me. They're meant for risks, You, Wanda, Steve. I'm a minor concern and, as such, won't be as closely scrutinized."

Bailey nodded at this, listening to every word.

"With your perceived lack of importance... You could get anything you want," Bailey realised, eyes widening as she let her arms drop fully.

"If matters came to worse, I could get you or Steve out unharmed. I'm keeping my options open and I'm prepared to protect you and your freedom while doing so," Nat stepped forward, touching her hand to Bailey's arm.

Bax rested her own hand on top of Nat's, linking their fingers and pulling it away from her body, holding her hand in the air as she turned it to lay their palms flat against one another. Perfectly sized, matching lengths.

"You're sticking with Stark to allow yourself your own freedom. You want to keep an eye on things, see how it'll work out." Bailey guessed, closing her fingers around Nat's hand as she did the same.

"There's an inevitable collision course the two are running. Let's make sure Cap sees a friendly face on the other side, okay?"

Bailey nodded, eyes blurring as she let all the information process in her head.

"So, don't sign. Retire. That's the plan?" She looked up to Nat, forcing a joking smile.

"For now, until Stark blows it. He normally does," Nat genuinely joked, teasing their friend.

"Do I follow Steve, or lay cool?" Bax asked, she needed the answer to how she played. If Stark had his puppets, did Bailey have to be Steve's?

"That's your choice... I know you'll make the right ones."

"Boy, I hope you're right."

"Aren't I always?"

Bailey smiled at the woman, and pulled her forward to capture into a sweet kiss.

It didn't feel like any of their kisses they had shared before. This one felt... relieving. Together the women were finally in a place of happiness. Standing in Clint's house with a family whom adored them, in a situation they had figured out for the better, with one another.

They had each other, someone they only managed to love more and more each passing day, although never admitting that to one another. They played the game of 'who will fall first', not knowing that the other had fallen just as much.

The first to say the three words would be the first to be made fun of, and then have them repeated back to her.

"Baxxie, I thought it was my turn to play with you?" Lila Barton popped up between the Avengers, breaking them apart.

Bax pulled away with a laugh, looking down to the little girl who had her arms wrapped around both of them.

"Nat needs her turns too," she winked back at her girlfriend, and then grinned back to the small person.

"I dibsed first," she pointed out, not taking 'no' for an answer, and even pulling a pout to get her Aunt to fall for the act.

"Well then you better run back inside before I catch you," Bax raised her one eyebrow in a teasing manner, wiggling the fingers of her free hand.

"Ah!" she shrieked, letting go of the two and running back inside the house towards her parents.

Nat looked up to her with a smirk playing on her Cherry Lips. Bailey rolled her eyes at the teasing look.

"You heard me, run," she shook her head and pushed the Avenger along.

"Right, right. Can't let you catch me," she joked, raising her hands up with a shrug and turning to walk away.

"Kids," Bailey shook her head with a smile, "Whatever will I do with them...?"

Bax untucked the corner of the bed sheet, looking up to notice Nat walking across the room with toothbrush still in her mouth. She carried her clothes from the day to their bags, packing them in neatly as possible whilst she readjusted the brush.

A grin slipped onto Bailey's face as she picked up one of the spare pillows and chucked it at the Red-Head.

Nat's head immediately whipped around to face her after the pillow hit her back. A mumble of words splurged out of her mouth that were indecipherable. The scene only made Bax laugh harder, until the same pillow was thrown back at her face.

"Not fair," she narrowed her eyes, chucking it back over to her girlfriend.

Nat placed her hands on her hips, flicking her half-dried-out hair out of her face as she locked her jaw in a non-playful expression.

"Alright, alright. I'll stop," Bailey raised her hands and shrugged her shoulders on surrender, moving more of the spare pillows off the bed.

She laughed as Nat stormed into the bathroom to rinse her mouth out.

Shaking her head, she pulled back the duvet of Nat's side, preparing the bed for her. Bax then proceeded to zip up their suitcase and drop it to the floor off the foot of the bed, ready for tomorrow with their business clothes folded and ready to be worn.

"You're lucky I didn't throw that as hard as I can," Nat's irritated voice broke her concentration.

"Death by pillow fight... that's gotta be something unique on a tombstone."

"Death by Super Assassin, more likely," Nat shot back.

The Widow walked back into the room and still smiled at the sight of the bed already made for her, waiting to be slept in. Although annoying majority of the time, Bailey was still thoughtful in the little things.

Often a cup of coffee would be brought to Natasha in the morning and cleared the minute she was finished. Bailey would also allow Nat to shower first every day for the hot water. Simple things made her smile, and she noticed them all.

What she loved most about the simple gestures she had noticed, is when Bax finally returns her leather jackets back to her after a long day, and she manages to find a small drawing or two always pocketed away inside it. She would never remove them or throw them out, simply leaving them there for the next time Bailey would steal the jacket.

She was very aware of the sort of Art Therapy Bax used to clear her mind, spending as much time drawing with Lila as she could possibly. The whole Rose Story was a cute and thoughtful touch to it, and definitely made Natasha feel a little a lot more special or happier when she see's the small doodles of the flower in the corners of the Mission Statements or filed Reports.

"You'd never let me die such a pathetic death, my Love," Bailey teased.

"Why you little..." she narrowed her eyes at the woman, trying to lunge at her but Bailey caught her arms and flipped her onto the bed.

With her back warm from the layers of blankets, Nat stared up into the Frosty Blue eyes of a true gem, anger washing from her face.

"I think you've been a little tense these past few days. Need a massage?" she smirked down at Natasha, blonde hair falling passed the spot where it was supposed to sit tucked behind her ears.

Leaning down so that her Bob-Cut tickled the rosy cheeks of Natasha Romanoff, she tried to tickle at her sides- a secret many may not know, Nat is highly ticklish. Unusual for a Super Assassin, right?

Nat pushed her arms away, and laughed at her silly-ness, flicking her hands to move away from her abdomen.

"I think your immature nature is due to you being so tired. Let's catch a couple of hours, alright?" she laughed as a suggestion, pushing Bax off of her.

Bailey slumped to the side, laying on her back with her arms and legs spread out.

"That sounds good," she sighed in agreement, closing her eyes slightly.

"You might want to get under the duvet," Nat chuckled.

"Nah, I'm warm. Don't worry about me," She waved her off.

"I'm only saying that so that I can get under. I couldn't care less about you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 370 21
Book 1 // Tony had always thought his sister died in the car accident with his parents. That wasn't the case. Years later she's found in Sokovia, tes...
15.9K 664 37
"I'd give up the whole damn Universe for you." The Ghost of the East had lost all will to search for a small grass field and a few red roses to hug...
Falling By Marie

Fanfiction

7.3K 224 40
Emma Winifred Barnes... A name now known throught the world, as Miss Liberty, fighting alongside her best friend, Steve Rogers, Captain America. She...
122K 3.9K 28
[U N E D I T E D] [ The POV switches from 1st POV to 3rd POV everytime, so it gets really tricky ] "God dammit y/n!" She hissed. "It's you!" she poin...