Reasons to Live | ✔

By HisBeautifulMess

After an incident three months ago and her parent's divorce, Reina Caverly finds a way to cope: cutting herse... More

Chapter 1-
Chapter 2-
Chapter 3-
Chapter 5-
Chapter 6-
Chapter 7-
Chapter 8-
Chapter 9-
Chapter 10-
Chapter 11-
Chapter 12-
Chapter 13-
Chapter 14-
Chapter 15-
Chapter 16-
Chapter 17-
Chapter 18-
Chapter 19-
Chapter 20-
Chapter 21-
Chapter 22-
Chapter 23-
Chapter 24-
Chapter 25-
Chapter 26-
Chapter 27-
Chapter 28-
Chapter 29-
Chapter 30-
Chapter 31-
Chapter 32-
Chapter 33-
Chapter 34-
Chapter 35-
Chapter 36-
Chapter 37-
Chapter 38-
Chapter 39-
Chapter 40-
Chapter 41-
Chapter 42-
Chapter 43-
Chapter 44-
Chapter 45-
Chapter 46-
Chapter 47-
Chapter 48-
Chapter 49-
Chapter 50-
Reasons to Live...Epilogue?!
Bonus 1: Calvin's Reason To Live
Bonus 2: Two Years Later...

Chapter 4-

100K 2.5K 167
By HisBeautifulMess

Chapter 4-

"I like your new haircut, Reina," Mason complimented with a smile as soon as I sat down across from him in Literature class. Miss Bell was late again, and I was confused why the school just didn't let her go at this point. Last year, she had been more absence and tardiness than Calvin.

"No, you don't. You're just trying to cheer me up," I stated bluntly under my breath before realizing how harsh it sounded. Deciding to not make it awkward and saving myself, I gave him a small smile. "You don't need to lie."

Many schoolmates had been complimenting me about my new haircut ever since yesterday, but their façade smile told the truth. They all hated it and found it weird. I know that I shouldn't have cut my hair, but I hated it so much. Maybe I should have dyed it instead of just cutting it all off myself at home.

Knowing that my long, blonde hair had been touched and yanked by them over the summer made me feel sick to my stomach.

I hated looking at where my hair was touched by them. I hated how every time I saw my own hair; I remember then yanking it and laughing at how nice my hair felt in their grasp.

I hated it so much.

Therefore, I had cut my hair on the night following that tragedy.

I regret my decision to do so at times like these.

"No, I swear. I like your new look. You're quite cute," Mason said honestly before his face grew red from the confession.

I blinked in surprise by his words.

I don't know what to say to Mason.

What should I even say at a moment like this?

Thank you?

You really think so?

Then, something hits me.

Is Mason hitting on me? Or am I imagining it?

If we are, Joshua, not surprisingly, noticed. Since he was sitting just next to me, he stared at both of us and then snapped his finger in front of us, breaking the moment.

"Hey Mason, do me a favor and get me some loose-leaf from up front." Joshua requested, although it sounded more like a demand more than anything else. Something about his face was scary as he narrowed his eyes at Mason who frowned.

"You can't do it by yourself because...?" Mason trailed off, allowing Joshua to continue.

"You owed me remember? From last year, when I lend you a pen, and then you said you owed me? Do it." Joshua said, rougher now around the edge of his voice. Mason mumbled something as he got up and walked to the front of the room. When I sighed in relief of not being put in the spot anymore, Joshua chuckled. "You don't need to thank me."

I rolled my eyes in response. Joshua is overly protective of me, and now was no different. "I could have done it myself."

"Right," he nodded, unconvinced. "It seems someone has a crush on you, now that you're back on the market after Paul and you broke up over Summer."

It pained to even hear his name. I shifted in my seat nervously. "I'm not interested."

"Right." Calvin scoffed in his seat and I narrowed my eyes at him. Our small group of four in the classroom was in the corner of the room. I wondered if I could kick him as hard as I can, would anyone notice outside of the table?

"Mason does not like me in anyway. No way.... he's just trying to be nice," I mumbled, though I wasn't sure who I was trying to convince at this point. Everyone had hinted he had a thing for me since freshmen year, but dating was the last thing on my mind. I shook my head stubbornly. "He doesn't have a thing for me, much less a stupid crush."

"It seems like a crush to me," Calvin shot back smoothly as he leaned back on his chair, his hands locked behind his head.

I glared at Calvin. I don't need another person agreeing with Joshua.

"Mason doesn't have a crush on me," I stated a bit louder now, through gritted teeth. I didn't like how Calvin acted like he knew everything. I didn't like how much he knew about me. With my nose flared, I huffed. "What makes you think that?"

"You were having a moment though," Calvin shot back with ease.

"I wasn't," I continued to deny, shaking my head.

"Fine, if you don't believe us, then why don't you ask Mason if he likes you. I dare you," Joshua countered with a huge grin. I stared at him in horror as he shrugged. "What? I said I would protect you, but since you're so in over your head, you should ask then."

Before I can get a word out, I saw Mason coming back and sitting back in our table. I was saved when Miss Bell came strolling into the classroom as the class started to quiet down. She let out a nervous laugh as she threw her bag onto the table. "I am so sorry I'm late. Please open your textbooks up to page one hundred and fifty. We'll get started right away."

Thank God!

Throughout the whole period, the class did work in total silence. I was glad because I knew Joshua would have definitely tried to embarrass me, or get me to admit that I was wrong and Mason did have a thing for me.

I ended up finishing early and even completed the questions that followed each chapter. With a small sigh of relief, I listened to music on my iPhone. Mason was still working in his journal, and Joshua looked completely lost in his work.

Calvin was sleeping, his work already completed, per usual.

When class ended, I quickly shoved my books into my school bag and make a quick beeline to the exit into my next class. If I stick around long enough, I knew Joshua would try to resume this whole Mason-business I didn't want to be a part of. Unfortunately, my attempt to escape from this class failed. Someone yanked me right back, causing me to squeal in shock since whoever was holding me was touching me exactly where my cut was.

"Where are you heading to so quickly, Reina?" Joshua grinned down at me with a mischievous smile. "Stick around, we still have five minutes."

"Joshua, let go of me. I have to get to my next class," I moaned as I make an effort in trying to break free from his grip before he started questioning me about Mason. Joshua could be an asshole sometimes when he wants me to admit that I was wrong about something.

Joshua rolled his eyes. "Relax Reina, I'm not going to ask you about Mason."

I blinked in surprise. I titled my head to the side in confusion. "You're not?"

"Nope, you can ask him yourself," Joshua said with a huge grin before spinning me around. Moments later, I came face to face with the devil himself. Mason looked at me straight in the eye with a small smile.

I stood just a few inches in front of Mason, facing him with panicking eyes. I swallowed, not liking how close I was with someone else of the opposite sex. I felt my heart speeding at that moment. I tried counting ten in my head slowly as he cleared his throat.

"Oh hey, Reina. I thought you already left for your next class. What can I help you with today?" Mason said as he looked at me curiously. He then looked at Joshua and at Calvin quickly, who are standing right behind me. With a frown, he pressed his lips thinly together. "Let me rephrase my sentence. What can I help you all with today?"

"Reina wants to ask you a really important question," Joshua stated giving me a grin. "Go on, Reina. Ask him. You said it so confidently before, ask him."

"No, I don't," I denied quickly as I shook my head violently, clawing my way out of this situation inside my head. How can I escape from this awkward conversation right away?

Before I can say anything, I felt someone's hand on my shoulder and slowly start to glide me away from Joshua and Mason. The panic was still there, though it wasn't as bad now that I was given some distance from the person that was giving me a mini heart attack. I peered up to see it was Calvin that was looking down at me for a moment, and then at them.

"You're going to make me late for class if you don't hurry up," Calvin mumbled and I double blinked, feeling stupid. Was he trying to save me from this mess?

"So, what was the question though? You can't just leave me hanging like that," Mason said, pressing forward as I looked over at Calvin for help. I knew it was a long shot, but I felt like I was moments away from having a panic attack. Calvin peered at me for a moment and then something flashed in his eyes before he looked back at Mason.

"Reina wanted to ask you if you want to have lunch with us today," Calvin replied for me without blinking.

"She does?" Joshua and Mason questioned in unison before looking at me.

"Yeah, I do," I tentatively nodded. "Yes, that was exactly I wanted to ask."

"Well, I would like too, but today's the first day for the newspaper club meeting. If we finish the meeting early then I guess I can join you guys if you are all okay with it," Mason looked disappointed as he ran his fingers through his hair.

Joshua looked at me then Calvin suspiciously as I tried not to hyperventilate right there and then. I wasn't really good with relationships since I dated Paul since he asked me out in Freshmen year until I broke up with him.

"Come on. We have to get to class before the bell rings," Calvin said as he gave me a tug forward by the sleeve of my sweater. For some reason, it made me feel better as he never once tried to touch me in any way then when it was needed. I followed him in silence to my third period class.

It just so happened we had all our morning classes together.

I looked back and realize that both Mason and Joshua weren't following us anymore. I stared at the back of his head, not knowing what to say for a moment. Finally, I played with the hem of my shirt, clearing my throat.

"Thanks for the help back there," I awkwardly said, not sure what else to say. I didn't know what he was. He was the guy who I had hung out with for almost three years. The one who just blacked mailed me this morning and was secretly suicidal.

Yet, he was the guy that saved me from a actual panic attack without even realizing it. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

He shrugged casually as he turned to look at me. "It's not that big of a deal. I know that Joshua could be an asshole sometimes. No offense, since you guys have been friends since middle school."

I looked at him in shock. "How do you know that?"

Shortly after I blurted out my question, I felt stupid. Of course, Calvin knows. He had been Joshua's friend for a while now. There was no way that Joshua didn't casually bring it up at one point in the conversation.

"You told me when freshmen year began. Remember? We introduced ourselves the first day of class by stating our names, our likes and dislikes, our hobbies, our interests, and our friends from middle school that are attending this high school," Calvin replied casually while ticking off the list on his fingers.

I blinked a few times by his explanation, the wheels in my head turning. I always knew Calvin was smart, but this was a whole new level. I couldn't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, let along what happened three years ago on the first day of school.

He stared at me, trying to read me. Finally, I lamely stared at the floor. "Oh, cool."

"Oh cool?" Calvin repeated with one eyebrow raised at my response. "I remember you said in one of your response was that your hobby includes reading and writing stories as well."

"Um...that's amazing?" I said dumbly.

His eyebrows were both up now as he stared at me. "I just recited all the questions that Mr. Ken asked during the first day of school from the back of my mind in freshmen year. I recited everything you said with precision, and that's all I get?"

He probably expected more from me. I frowned, suddenly feeling a bit offended by the way he looked at me in disappointment. "Well then, what do you want me to say? You are such a brainy and smart person, Calvin. Please make out with me after school."

There was just something about Calvin that made me irritated whenever I talk to him. This morning only made me view him in a worse light as I gritted my teeth with a huff. You could imagine the shocked expression on my face when he looked at me with dead serious eyes and nodded. "Yes."

"W-W-What?" I stuttered nervously and I can feel my ears and cheeks flaming.

Does he know that I was joking?

Oh my God. What am I going to say now?

Did I not sound sarcastic or is he just trying to get on my nerves?

I wish I can just disappear right here on the spot at that moment. Then his lips started to rise upwards as if he is trying to hold in a laugh. Not surprisingly, bursted out laughing, which felt really weird to me. It tickled my ears and it sounded foreign to me. I didn't think I have ever heard him laugh that loud. I have seen him chuckle or grin before but never like this.

It made me feel weird and embarrassed as he continued to laugh out loud. His laugh earned us some stares from other students walking to their next class. I looked at the floor in embarrassment as we walked together side by side. I wasn't sure what I was feeling as I see him laugh.

Happy?

Weirded out a bit?

"You should have seen your face. Have you ever heard of a joke?" he questioned after he stopped laughing and I glared at him with my meanest scowl. "You're quiet fun to tease."

"Be quiet," I huffed, now embarrassed that I have become a target in his games.

"I was just kidding. Lighten up. I'm just trying to learn the reason Joshua hangs around you so much," he said and then paused, seeming to be in thought for a second before adding on. "I think I just figured out why. You're an easy target to tease."

Again, I ignored him as I continued to walk into class with him behind me. If I had known that Calvin is such a teaser and a bully, I would have never taken up the offer to look for him on the roof for Mr. Martin.

But then, the nagging voice in my head told me something different.

'If you never went to look for Calvin that day, he would have been dead by now.'

I sighed quietly to myself, shaking my head. I guess I really shouldn't regret going to get him back then, even though Calvin was a jerk that fooled others with his cool act. I quickly glanced at him and realized he was looking up at the ceiling, pondering about something. The sad look was now in his eyes, something he wore too much that it became a part of him. I couldn't help but open my mouth. "What are you thinking about?"

"Hm? Curious about me Reina? After years of ignoring one another? If you must know, I was thinking that I should have talked to you sooner and snatched you away from Paul," he said with a smirk and I narrowed my eyes at his comment.

"I'm going to ignore you now."

"You know that you will have to talk to me sooner or later," he persisted.

"No, I don't," I shot back as I quickly make my way to my seat, taking out my physics textbook and notebook. Calvin slid into his seat right next to me. I glared at him.

Of all the places to sit in this room, he had to sit next to me.

Great.

I probably had to talk to Calvin when we are instructed to compare answer from yesterday's homework. I hated losing, but the thought of his stupid smirk made me want to get up again and find another seat. To bad it was already all taken. I groaned as Calvin looked at me with amusement.

Then, I noticed that Megan was looking at us curiously from the other side of the room where she was talking with Clover. I shook my head in dismay and she gives me a pity like smile.

"Lunch girl talk?" she mouthed to me.

I nodded in agreement before she turned her attention back to Clover. We never did find out yesterday why she and him broke up.

"Will you talk to me now?" Calvin silently whispered into my ears. I jumped in surprise because I suddenly feel Calvin's breath on my neck. I cupped my ears as small ripple of goosebumps hits me. He cocked his head to the side. "Want to bet that you'll talk to me in the first two minutes of class?"

My nose flared in irritation. "If I win, will you give me that?"

To my surprise, he nodded. "Deal."

"If I lose?"

He pondered for a moment before shrugging. "You can't ignore me for the rest of the year."

"Deal," I said, nodding. I knew I would have to talk to him sooner or later in this class, but it shouldn't be the first two minutes of class. Usually, we would go over the lecture before turning to our partners and taking. I prayed to God as Mr. Rocco came strolling in that he wouldn't make us turn to our partner the first two minutes.

Please take attendance.

Please start the lecture.

Please --

"Alright class, sorry I'm late. Please turn to your partners of the day and start discussing yesterday's lesson," Mr. Rocco said with a smile. I swore, I felt my heart stopped beating. I don't even need to turn to Calvin to that know he is giving me a cocky grin right at this moment.

____________________________________________________

Reasons to Live: 4. "I believe everyone can find a purpose in life, a reason to live life to its fullest."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 84 43
Why do bad things happen to good people? A question that his boy is making himself more then ever this days. From the beginning we see a 17 year old...
189K 9.7K 38
Jude doesn't talk. He can't, even when he wants to. They don't want to hear what he has to say, and they only use their words to hurt him. So why eve...
1.2K 204 36
"Why have you been ignoring me?" I yelled at him. He flinched. "What? Am I not needed anymore? Do you still care?" I continued, my eyes filling with...
663 1 21
Choosing her cost me everything I'd ever loved... including her. I had everything a guy could ask for, a loving family, the perfect small-town life...