COBALT: The Red Phantom (Book...

By Spookyspackles

[Featured: EDITOR'S CHOICE] Káel didn't think his life could get worse after being abducted by an alien posin... More

Author's Note
Table of Contents
Prologue
Chapter 1: Káel (Part 1/2)
Chapter 1: Káel (Part 2/2)
Chapter 2: The Day Like Any Other Day (Part 1/2)
Chapter 2: The Day Like Any Other Day (Part 2/2)
Chapter 3: How to get Kidnapped by a Russian Exchange Student (Part 1/2)
Chapter 3: How to get Kidnapped by a Russian Exchange Student (Part 2/2)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 1/3)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 2/3)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 3/3)
Chapter 5: Why You Shouldn't Trust a Russian Exchange Student (Part 1/2)
Chapter 5: Why You Shouldn't Trust a Russian Exchange Student (Part 2/2)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 1/3)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 2/3)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 3/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked By a Rock (Part 1/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked by a Rock (Part 2/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked by a Rock (Part 3/3)
Chapter 8: The Wrath of the Queen (Part 1/2)
Chapter 8: The Wrath of the Queen (Part 2/2)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (Part 1/3)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (2/3)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (Part 3/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 1/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 2/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 3/3)
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request (Part 2/3)
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request (Part 3/3)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 1/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 2/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 3/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (part 4/4)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 1/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 2/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 3/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 4/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 5/5)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 1/3)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 2/3)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 3/3)
Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 1/3)
Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 3/3)
Chapter 16: Breaking Mirrors (Part 1/2)
Chapter 16: Breaking Mirrors (Part 2/2)
Chapter 17: How to Fix a Battery (Part 1/2)
Chapter 17: How to Fix a Battery (Part 2/2)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 1/3)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 2/3)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 3/3)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 1/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (2/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 3/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 4/4)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 1/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 2/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 3/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 4/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 5/5)
Chapter 21: Secrets (Part 1/2)
Chapter 21: Secrets (Part 2/2)
Chapter 22: The Power of Secrets (Part 1/2)
Chapter 22: the Power of Secrets (Part 2/2)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 1/3)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 2/3)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 3/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 1/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 2/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 3/3)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 1/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 2/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 3/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 4/4)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 1/3)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 2/3)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 3/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 1/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 2/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 3/3)
Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 1/3)
Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 2/3)
Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 3/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 1/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 2/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 3/3)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 1/3)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 2/3)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 3/4)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rip (Part 4/4)
For My Readers
What's Next?

Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 2/3)

677 93 29
By Spookyspackles

          As Káel pulled his covers up to go to bed, he caught the usual flash of red as Phantom drifted through the wall to the outdoors. Granted, he was glad he could go to sleep knowing Phantom wasn't sitting there watching him like a creep, but he was still curious as to what was out there that could keep the man entertained for so long.

          With the thought heavy on his mind, Káel pulled his mind to sleep. A sequence interrupted by the cold lick of a breeze tickling his face and crawling through his warm covers. The irritation quickly became unbearable, and he lifted his head drowsily to inspect the culprit.

          All at once his body lurched back with a shriek of surprise, his heart pounding at the unexpected visitor perched in the frame of his window. The figure with snowy white hair watched him impassively, allowing the thin curtains to flutter and set the eerie scene in the unwelcomed breeze. 

          Káel sucked in a breath, holding his covers up to hide his body from the visitor. "What are you doing here?"

          The boy watched him silently, his violet eyes glowing in the blue light of the outdoors, and for once, Káel was opting for another Ray nightmare over another one of these.

          The boy waved him over to follow, but Káel shook his head, still watching him with fearful caution. "This might be a dream, but I don't care. Let me sleep!"

          The boy didn't show a hint of irritation at Káel's refusal, in fact he smiled, stepping over the window frame and ducking into Káel's room instead.

          "Uh uh, no, get out," Káel ordered, jumping to his feet and backing away from the approaching stranger.

          He didn't listen to a single order Káel shouted, walking towards him quickly with an unknown intent. Káel turned and whipped open his door to run down the hall, but the stretch of sparsely decorated walls wasn't there.

          A gust of cold air blasted him in the face, along with a wet grassy aroma. Still holding onto the doorknob he stared speechlessly at the broad roof of the school. He sighed and slowly closed the door, turning to look back at the boy.

          But he didn't turn to see his room, the setting now shifted to the expansive roof as a cutting chill sank into Káel's bones. He crossed his arms as the boy tossed him a smug grin. "Alright, fair enough," Káel growled, shoving his hands in his pockets to shelter them from the cold. "Can we make this quick? It's cold out here."

          The boy nodded, and reached into his pocket, but he didn't pull out Phantom's rock like the last time. Instead, it was the Ceptrum with the black symbol on it that Káel kept on his nightstand.

          "Yeah? That's a Ceptrum, quit stealing my stuff," Káel said coldly.

          The boy shoved it back into his pocket, and waved for Káel to follow him, jumping off the roof they were standing on to lightly land on another expanse of roof. Káel followed him, landing with a heavy thud and groaning from the spike of pain shooting up his knees. The boy seemed to be taking the same path as last time, scaling down the school with swift efficiency, and waiting for Káel when he lagged behind.

          "Are you taking me to your dirt pile again?" Káel climbed down the last bit of wall to land on the soft green grass. The boy smiled, and casually strolled over to the familiar pile of dug up grass. "You are, aren't you?"

          The boy knelt in front of the pile and pulled his hood down, ruffling his white hair that was now glowing in the light of the outdoors. He slid his gloves off and pulled the Ceptrum out of his pocket, holding it up to the worn down white rock Káel had uncovered.

          The boy focused on the small Ceptrum in his hand, and with a soft, calming voice, he spoke. 

          "The Red Phantom."

           Káel's stiffened at the familiar name, the boy's sharp whisper playing to the glowing Ceptrum like a haunting bell. "What did you just say?"

          The trees in front of the boy creaked and rustled, moving away to form a path. But the boy didn't spare a second to look at it, more distracted with the view behind them as his soft smile twisted to fear.

          Káel turned to look for himself, but the structure that stood in the clearing wasn't Cobalt anymore. Towering dark walls loomed in the distance, peppered with vicious weaponry that gazed off towards the trees. In the embrace of black was a peaking castle, alight with the dancing flames of torches, and settled into a bed of rough gravel that ate most of the emerald grass.

          Káel looked back at the boy, his face was still painted with fear. "What is this place?"

          Silence was the only answer, the boy looking away to watch the forest path longingly. He wanted to run, but he couldn't, as if an invisible force greater than fear tied him to where he stood.

          "Who are you?" Káel ordered, stepping on a stick that snapped beneath his sock. The violet branch broken beneath his weight to wither in the grey gravel.

          Suddenly, a sharp whistle rang through the air, getting louder by the second as Káel tried to pin the noise. As he snapped his attention to the walls a force grabbed him, pulling him behind a black cloak as the whistling stopped with two soft thuds.

   —————  

          "Where are we off to?" Phantom said, following Káel through the grassy field. The sky was covered on a thin sheet of hazy grey clouds; the closest thing to rain Káel had seen so far.

          He walked over to the forest's edge, and looked down at the familiar, rugged patch of grass from his dreams. After ensuring his only spectators were Puff and Phantom, he got on his knees and started digging.

          Sure enough, after tearing up a large portion of grass and dirt, and thoroughly confusing his audience in the process, his fingers brushed against the cold surface of a large rock. He scooped the remaining dirt away, revealing the smooth, white surface of the Ceptrum.

          It wasn't just a dream.

          "Woah, how'd you know that was there?" Phantom said, transfixed to the stone as he squatted next to Káel. "I thought they'd have torn down most of the old Ceptrums, I don't recognize this one..."

          "I had a really messed up dream," Káel replied, concealing the rock with dirt and chunks of grass. "Do you know anybody with white hair and purple eyes by chance?"

          "A couple," Phantom said. "Although, I can't guarantee most of them are still alive."

          "Tall-ish, stupid grin, black cloak, good at climbing down buildings. I don't know, he seemed to know you." Phantom's silence allowed the stupidity of Káel's words sink in. "It was a dream though..."

          "Sounds like Zalius." Phantom scratched the back of his head, utterly perplexed the longer he thought. "That can't be right, you've never seen him before... Did he say anything?"

          Káel looked at the trees standing before the decrepit Ceptrum. 

          Did he dare to do it? 

          Half of him was too curious to resist, but the other half knew all too well the idiocy of hiding secrets during broad daylight. He could wait until nightfall, after curfew, but was wherever the path lead to worth the possible punishments? Would it even work?

          The final part of him sprang up. A mysterious trail shown to him in a dream sounded like a really great way to get murdered, or cast into some cliche prophecy.

          "Nothing, nevermind," he replied, walking back to the school.

          "What? No! Tell me!" Phantom said, chasing after his quick strides. "Please, you can't leave it like that!"

          He continued to walk, ignoring Phantoms pleas. "I'm serious, he didn't say anything. If he did I don't remember."

          "Lies! Come on, I can't tell anyone!"

          He knew if he told Phantom about the path he'd find some way to persuade him into exploring it, and the more Káel thought about going down a mysterious path in a murderous forest alone, the less of an appeal it presented. So, for three hours, he suffered through Phantom's begs and whines, until he seemed to give up, plaguing him with an eerie silence as he walked to find Ray with his friends, since Mariel was busy today.

          Puff wasn't particularly pleased when they found the blond, since his immediate response, even before greeting his friends, was to scoop up Puff and violently ruffle his fur in an attempt at petting the dragon. The worst part was that Ray was still gnaw proof, so Puff gave up his futile attempts at escape and sat in Ray's arms with a scornful death glare, fueling the jealousy in Ragdoll's eyes.

          Káel had taken to humouring Ray's cat, the purring bundle curled in his arms to remind him that he'd forgotten Jeremiah in his room... again. 

          "I-is it okay to b-bring Puff with us?" Talli questioned as they exited the forest.

          "Should be, he doesn't have the cuff on, so the townspeople will assume he's from the Garaean Empire," Truvius replied.

          "Yeah, so long as he doesn't go biting people," Ray added, rubbing Puff on the head, and causing the dragon to let off a warning full growl.

          "You know what? I'll carry him," Alestra grabbed the angry dragon out of Ray's arms and cradling him in hers. Puffs scowl melted to satisfaction, and he gladly curled up her her arms purring.

          "What a sexist dragon," Ray shielded his eyes as he looked to the sky. "You guys wanna get back before it rains? Cause that'll be a little over an hour."

          "Yeah, Cinder hates water, and I don't want her to freak out," Vera muttered.

   —————  

          The group had gone straight for Soren's shop when they reached the town, Ray popping through the door with a shouted greeting like a teen entering their best friend's house. Soren hardly returned his enthusiasm, a flood of suprise dragging his eyebrows up when Káel and his friends walked in. 

          The thought of them knowing eachother hadn't even crossed his mind.

          With a soft smile he relaxed into his chair, waving at Puff as the dragon greeted him with a warble. He waited for Káel to timidly approach the counter, scorched cuff in hand as he displayed it like a ruined surprise breakfast.

          "Well now..." Soren started, lifting the blackened metal up with a grin. "Someone doesn't like cuffs." 

         Káel chuckled nervously at the beaten hunk of metal, pulling a handful of coins out of his pocket and flaunting them to Soren. "Sorry if it's broken... I'll pay for the pick..."

          Soren laughed under his breath, dismissing Káel's hand with a quick wave. "Please tell me you don't do that to all the vendors around here. The cuff is Valeran engineering, Gable would really have to lose the rest of his sanity if he started using cuffs that couldn't take a beating from a dragon... to chain up dragons." 

          "Yeah, I guess," Káel muttered, shoving the coins back in his pocket.

          Soren pulled even more entertainment from the muttering teen, sliding the cuff into one of his locked drawers before facing the group once more, watching as Ray tried to lean over the counter to pet his guardian Dulan, much to the displeasure of the red haired girl stood next to him.

          "Ray, what are you doing?" Vera snapped, watching him lean further and further over the counter.

          Soren watched impassively as Ray finally got far enough to stroke Dulan's pelt, the black Garaean Warhound stirring to stare at the blond idiot he'd snapped at once or twice. "You can pet him if you want, not my problem if he goes to bite your arm off again."

          Káel and his friends pressed against the counter when they realised something was actually behind it, glued to the massive dog as it hobbled to its feet and easily rose over the counter. The gargantuan bear of a dog didn't even stretch, its age betraying its looks as it silently scratched along the floor to round the counter and sit in front of Talli.  

          She paled with fear as its pointy ears turned to her, and its jaw dropped a little to allow its pink tongue to pop out for a friendly pant.

          Ray, being incapable of seeing danger where there was something soft and fluffy, hugged the bear dog, and scratched the scruff of its neck. Nothing happened, the creature looking onwards to some unknown object, it's face void of any emotions as Ray cuddled it.

          "That's Dulan, he's pretty docile," Soren said, giving Ray an apprehensive glance before walking back over to Káel. "This is the dragon I presume?"

          Alestra nodded, holding Puff out for him to grab. Unlike most of the men who had tried picking Puff up, he was calm in Soren's arms, curiously sniffing his shoulder while he rubbed his neck.

          Soren grabbed one of his ears, and closely inspected it. He then went on to tap Puff's stubby horns, and held the confused dragon up above his head, looking him up and down a couple times before pulling him back down into a cradle position. "Yup he's a Novan species, and a young one."

          Puff warbled questionably, bewildered at the sudden inspection the stranger had given him, but still comfortable in his arms.

          "Nothing wrong with a Novan dragon, doesn't change the fact he's a smart, trustworthy, and powerful companion."

          Puff warbled in agreement at the strangers praises, smugly grinning while Soren continued to pet him.

          "I agree with one and a half of those," Phantom muttered.

          A loud snort suddenly came from the group's right, and Soren shot his head over to look at Dulan, who was staring down Talli with his dark brown eyes. She was frozen with fear, staring at Soren with teary eyes. "Is he gonna eat me?"

          "Nah, he wouldn't eat a sweet girl like you." Soren flicked his gaze to Ray. "Him on the other hand..."

          "Hey! You love me, right Dulan?" Ray said, rubbing the massive creature behind the ears. Dulan didn't even turn his head to look at Ray, as if he was as noticeable as a microscopic fly. Talli on the other hand, was being weighed down by the beasts heavy gaze as she lightly stroked his snout with pure fear in her eyes.

          Soren placed Puff back in Alestra's arms, pulling off the claws Puff had hooked into his clothes. "So, the dragon hunters stole him as an egg, leaving one cranky mother mind you, but that also means he's never been exposed to Nomad behaviour; except on the rare occasions they transported him while hunting other drakes. Which means you can assure any of your paranoid peers that this little fluff ball isn't scheming anything now that he's free."

          Vera gave Soren a face of disbelief. "You know all that?"

          "Of course. One, the cuff was made by the Valeran Dragon Hunters, and their territory, although broad, is nowhere near here, so the dragon was being transported, most likely to be sold off. Secondly, the Valerans specialise in both trophy killing and capturing, their favourite method being raising stolen dragon eggs to make them obedient pets for sale to rich buyers. Lastly, this dragon is exceptionally rare, making it an expensive trophy to lose. He doesn't look at all starved, and I'm assuming any injuries he had came from that pack of Unicorns, meaning he was taken care of by these hunters, so he'd be presentable to their buyer. Your dragon there has been raised to be a pet, and it's been ingrained in his mind that violently lashing out at people without a good cause is a means for severe punishment. Now that I'm assuming he's a guardian, he'll gradually get over his cowardice around humans, in a good way."

          "You know a lot for a locksmith," Vera replied, her face painted with suspicion.

          Soren smiled. "I do, don't I? Being a locksmith is a mere profession, I have a number of different businesses. And if that nice breaker that came with you the other day is your sister, then I also know a good number about you."

          Vera narrowed her eyes, her face had turned to a cautious anger while she stared at Soren's impassive face. He'd pushed a number of buttons, but her friends were all confused as to what those buttons were.

          "Soren, stop freaking them out," Ray cut in, leaving Dulan to Talli, and lightly smacking Soren on the shoulder.

          Soren moved a foots length away from Ray when he came up beside him, his face still neutral. "The young lady asked a question and since I saw no price in it, I answered. My apologies if the response was undesirable."

          He knows a lot about a good number of us? 

          Káel thought, mischievously smiling to himself as he imagined how useful Soren could be to him. His grin intensified as he thought about one thing in particular. 

          What does he know about Ray?

          The soft rumble of thunder echoed from the sky, and Cinder piped up, cringing and crawling into Vera's coat.

          "I think that's our que to get back," Ray said, walking to the door to leave.

Don't forget to:

COMMENT/CRITIQUE/(VOTE IF YOU WANT)

Quality Quip #11:

'I have seen too many ghosts to believe in them.'

~ Coleridge

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 2.3K 42
The Blackwell Legend. It dates back before the Salem witch trials, which tells of a family having mystical abilities to open portals, make objects m...
131K 14.5K 73
Classic J-RPG and anime elements collide with the Young Adult fiction writing style in this modern fantasy book following Josh Davidson, a teenage bo...
4.4K 118 36
As she was finally getting around to have a fairly successful turnaround in her life for once, Katia Managan managed to find a portal after discoveri...
4.5K 264 28
[2023 Wattys Shortlist, 2023 Amby Awards winner, Featured 3 times in Wattpad Picks lists] Kaleth has worked as an agent of Luxarx for years. What th...