Life With the Newsies- One Sh...

By PineapplesAndPapes

A collection of one shots starring everybody's favorite newsboys. These will be Modern AU's, Post-strike, Pre... More

The Beginning of Another Chapter
Davey aka The Walking Mouth Learns to Drive
Life at the Races
Cousins and A Couple of Lovestruck Teenagers
Crutchy Makes Cookies
Flavi Meets the Newsies
The Aftermath of Crutchy Making Cookies
Newsies In Neverland
Find Your Future
Beauty and the Bad Boy
The Girl With the Journal
On the Run
Crutchy's New Friend
Those You Thought You Lost
Christmas On the Fire Escape
Trip A Little Light Fantastic With Me
Brothers Of the Battlefield
Fragments Of the Past
Swingin' In The Summertime
What A Glorious Feeling
Albert the Weatherman
Elley Sells Papes
Wait For Me
Jack of All Tales
Let It Snow
The Holiday Dance And All That Entails
The Saga of Sky High
Shenanigans of St. Patrick's Day
The Jedi and Rebel Newsies
The Craziness At Coney Island
The Rumbles That Tumble
A Change of Heart
Seventeen And Quarantined
The Hoodie Thieves
You've Got Him Wrapped Up In....Christmas Lights?
Pulitzer's Newsie
The Lost Newsie
All That Jazz
Christmas of Companionship and Chaos
Ghostly Encounters
Jack Kelly: Boys In Newsie Caps
When Dreams Become Nightmares

Fly Away With Me

173 5 20
By PineapplesAndPapes

Fairytales and stories take root in the hearts of many. Especially the heart of a child. Like the stories of Peter Pan entertain the children of London, stories of Jack Kelly intrigue the children of New York City. Every kid in New York City knows of Jack Kelly or has heard a story or two about the boy. The girls would swoon over his ability to fist fight and sword fight well. There is one important detail that separates the stories of Jack Kelly from the stories of Peter Pan. Jack Kelly is real and so are his stories. Every kid in New York City knew of that too. When a mysterious person would save kid from the Refuge or the bulls, rumors would fly that Jack Kelly was back in town. Of course, no one had actually seen the boy to know for sure whether or not it was Jack Kelly. Some say he disguised himself as a Newsie. An unidentified individual had been caught and taken to the Refuge a short while ago only to break out again the next. No one had known who the boy was. The rumors flew especially on that night. A crippled boy also disappeared that night with the mysterious boy never came back. Some of the kids were scared for the crippled boy, worried that the mysterious kid had soaked the living daylights out of the crippled boy. Yet some were optimistic and wondered if perhaps Jack Kelly had been in their midst and had saved the crippled boy. Katherine Pulitzer or Plumber as her byline stated, had went to investigate this disappearance. She herself and some connections she had searched all over New York City for the young crippled boy. No one had seen him anywhere and Katherine was curious as to where he had gone. Then she heard the tales of Jack Kelly from the kids on the streets. At first, she thought it was mere child's play. Until a few weeks later, the cripple was seen in the Lower East Side Manhattan Newsboy Lodging House. Katherine had went immediately for an interview. She had entered the Lodging House to find the crippled boy surrounded by a bunch of young boys.

"Excuse me!" Katherine exclaimed, pushing her way through the small crowd of boys. The crippled boy, sitting on the couch, told an animated story of how he met the boy known as Jack Kelly. Katherine listened for a short while before making her presence known. She wanted to hear what this boy who said he had met this mysterious boy had to say about him. Finally, she cut in with,

"Are you sure it was him?" The crippled boy looked up at her with a glimmer of hurt in his eyes that made Katherine almost sad that she had attacked it in such a way. "I'm sorry," She immediately apologized. How could she have started out her interview that way? "Maybe we should start over," She suggested and the boy sitting on the couch nodded. Katherine extended her hand. "I'm Katherine Plumber and I am curious about your sudden disappearance," She introduced and the boy took her hand.

"I'm Charlie Morris, but da fellas call me Crutchy," the crippled boy said softly. "Sorry for all da excitement. An yea, I'se pretty shoah it was de Jack Kelly." Katherine pulled out her notebook and demanded,

"Describe this boy to me." Crutchy started to list things of for her.

"Tall, dark-haired, strong, an kind. He could fly too," The crippled boy responded and Katherine nearly dropped her notebook.

"Excuse me?" She asked and Crutchy nodded.

"Yea, he could fly. He taught me ta do it too an he's said he's comin back for me sometime soon. We'se gonna go back ta Nevahland," Crutchy announced and Katherine looked at him as though he were from another planet.

"Uh huh," was all she could manage to say at the time. Something about this did not make sense to Katherine at the time. But as she sits at her desk and looks at her notebook, she thinks that maybe Crutchy wasn't wrong. She would never let anyone see these facts and she would not put them in the paper by any means. These were pieces of a fairytale that a little boy believed to be true. A few nights later, Katherine decides to go talk to those boys again. She arrives at the Lodging House and knocks on the door. Crutchy answers it and beams at her.

"Well, heya Miss Katherine! Come here, I'se got someone ya gotta meet," Crutchy exclaims excitedly and he pulls her inside. Katherine looks around and sees a tall dark haired boy, who she doesn't recognize, standing in the room. To Katherine, he looks like every other Newsie on the streets of New York, but Crutchy's excitement tells her that something is special about this boy. The boy crosses his arms and looks at Katherine.

"Crutchy, ya didn't tell me dat da reporter was such a beautiful lady," The boy says and Katherine rolls her eyes at him. Crutchy chuckles and says,

"Ya should come ta New York more an youse would see goils like her." Katherine rolls her eyes at the boy and he asks flirtatiously,

"What's yer name, miss?" Katherine briefly debates whether or not to tell him in her mind. She does think he is handsome, but she is not one to be attracted to flirtatious boys. His green eyes stare into her brown ones and for some reason she can't pull herself away from looking at him. Somehow, she gets the feeling that this boy standing before her, is the mysterious Jack Kelly. Something about him screams that he is the boy who looks out for the kids of New York City. Maybe he is worth introducing herself to. She extends her hand and says,

"I'm Katherine Plumber and I was investigating Crutchy's disappearance for the New York Sun." The boy smiles admiringly at her and Katherine feels the slightest bit of heat rise up into her cheeks. Crutchy notices and stifles a small laugh. The boy spits into his hand and says,

"I'se Jack Kelly. I'se a Newsie when I'se in town an da leader of some kids who fight pirates when I ain't." Katherine cocks her head at the odd gesture. Jack notices and says, "It's da way da Newsies and my boys do tings." Katherine retracts her hand and spits into it before offering it back up again. The two shake on it and Crutchy smiles at their new friendship.

"See Miss Plumber? He ain't some fairytale, he's as real as New York City itself!" Crutchy declares and Jack smiles at Katherine.

"Da beautiful reporter standin in front of me is pretty real too," Jack says softly and Katherine yanks her hand out of his. She sits down on the beat up couch and pulls out her notebook.

"Could I get an exclusive about Crutchy's disappearance?" Katherine asks and the two boys exchange looks.

"I'se not shoah dats a good idea," says Crutchy and Katherine looks up from her notebook..

"Why not?" The two boys exchange looks again.

"I'se always been da kid dat saves everybody's lives round here an I'se always been kinda a mystery an a legend. I'se kinda wants ta keep it dat way" Jack explains. "I'se da hero in da stories dat da older Newsies tell da youngah Newsies when it gets close ta bedtime. I'se not a real poirson in New York." Katherine sighs in defeat. There has to be someway that she can get a story about this boy. He really is too good of a story to pass up. There had to be another angle that she could write this from. New York needed to know that there were good people who were kids from the streets. Katherine suddenly has an idea.

"Do you ever break kids out of places that they don't want to be in? Like the Refuge?" She asks and Jack nods.

"Yea, dat's what I'se da most famous for doin," He answers and Katherine scribbles some thoughts down in her notebook. She asks a few more questions,

"So, how long have you been doing this?" Jack shrugs and answers,

"I'se dunno. Awhile." Katherine looks at him and Jack smiles a mischievously flirtatious smile. "I'se would be willin ta save a pretty girl like youse." Katherine rolls her eyes and asks another question,

"What do you do with the boys that you rescue?" Jack looks her seriously in the eye and says,

"Youse wouldn't believe me if I told ya." Katherine clicks her pen on and off and challenges him,

"Try me." Jack and Katherine have a mini staring contest and Jack puts hand on the arm of the couch.

"I'se takes em wid me," He says and Katherine scribbles it down in her notebook.

"Where?" She asks, her pen poised in the air ready to write down the next tidbit of information from this interesting boy. Jack smiles widely at her.

"It's a secret. Only da pretty goils dat come wid me gets ta find out," Jack replies flirtatiously and Katherine clicks her pen in annoyance. This boy is not being very cooperative and she needs this story. Nothing else interesting is happening in New York City. She needs something new and exciting for this city to see.

"Just tell me and I will turn a mysterious boy into a sensation that this whole city will want to hear about," Katherine demands, tapping her pen against her brown notebook. Jack chews on his lip and considers it for a moment. He does not want to reveal all of his secrets just yet. To the kids of the city, sure, but he doesn't want to tell anyone else. Much less a reporter. A very beautiful reporter. Something about her makes Jack want to get to know her more. He can't quite place it. Jacks looks at her for a few more moments before saying,

"I'se can't an I'se should really get goin. See ya around, Plumber an Crutchy!" Katherine nods and leaves, leaving the boys to say a goodbye to their friend. She works her way back to her small apartment. Sticking a clean sheet of paper into her typewriter, she begins to turn the disappearance of a Newsie, who no one important cares about, into some kind of a sensation. Every kid in New York will want to meet this Newsie once Katherine is finished with him. After a short while, she decides to go to bed. A few nights pass and Katherine works a little bit on the article each night. One particular evening, she is walking home from work and she feels like someone is watching her. However, she does not have that feeling the next night or the one after. It was a normal night and Katherine decided to do another interview for another exciting story that she had planned. She had just finished the one about Crutchy, but she wanted something more incase her editor did not like it. Katherine was preparing to leave when suddenly, she heard a tap on her window. She cocks her head and peeks out from behind the curtain. No one is out there. Still curious, Katherine opens the small window and steps out onto the fire escape. She peers around and looks over the side and nearly screams when something comes up at her face. Or rather someone. The mysterious person, who is apparently flying, gently slams a hand over her mouth and Katherine begins to panic. She pinches her eyes shut and begins to thrash back and forth away from this stranger. Whoever was trying to kidnap her had another thing coming. She was a Pulitzer and a Pulitzer never goes down without a good fight. Suddenly, she hears a soft whisper. "Ey, ey, calm down. Jus don't scream, okay?" The hand comes off of her mouth and she opens her eyes to see her attacker. She nearly passes out when she sees who it is. Jack Kelly hovers before her, his large hands plant themselves firmly on the edge of her fire escape.

"Who exactly are you?" Are the first words Katherine says to this odd boy. Jack chuckles a little bit. Katherine looks him over and realizes that he looks extremely attractive with that adorable smirk on his face and his worn Newsboy cap on his head.

"Dat's for me ta know an youse ta find out, Miss Plumbah," says Jack and Katherine rolls her eyes.

"You could have just walked up and knocked on my door like a normal person and how do you know where I live?" She demands quickly. Jack winks at her.

"Now where would da fun in dat be? I'se flew ovah ya on ya way home. New York ain't no place for a lady ta be walkin round late at night an I'se just wanna make sure ya got home safely," Jack explains. Katherine feels touched at his explanation.

"Do you want to come inside? It's a little bit cooler inside in the apartment," Katherine offers and she mentally scolds herself. What is she thinking letting a boy she barely knows into her apartment. Her parents would be appalled and she would be the talk of New York. Not that she really minded all that much, let those people think what they wanted to think. Katherine had never been one to care much about what people thought of her anyways. To her slight relief, Jack shrugs and replies,

"I'se prefers da fresh air and da fire escapes. When I'se a Newsie, I'se always sleeps on da roof. It's me penthouse." Katherine smiles at him. Maybe Jack Kelly wasn't just a legend to the kids of New York, maybe he could be a legend to her too.

"Could I get you something to eat or drink? Or anything?" Katherine asks and watches as Jack straddles the fire escape railing with ease.

"No, but tanks," Jack says and he lands on the fire escape, causing it to rattle a small bit as he lands. "Youse can give me one ting dough."

"What would that be?" Katherine asks and she notices Jack eyeing her lips. Katherine rolls her eyes. "You impossible boy."

"Would ya come wid me?" Jack asks and Katherine looks at him with a shocked expression on her face. "Not forevah o course, but just for a liddle while?" Katherine eyes him again, her brown eyes meeting his hazel and she slowly walks closer. She turns to face the city's skyline and she feels Jack come behind her. His hands grasp the fire escape railing on either side of her. Katherine turns and sees his face inches from hers. She suddenly realizes that she enjoys this and she enjoys Jack. Quickly she pulls away out of the almost embrace.

"I have stories to finish and publish. I don't know if I should leave and well, if my family comes looking for me, that won't be good," Katherine rambles on quickly. She grasps the railing and her breath hitches in her throat when she feels Jack's hand slide over hers. His other hand finds her other one and he gives her hand a gentle squeeze. Once again, Katherine turns and their faces are inches apart.

"Fly away wid me, Katherine," Jack whispers, moving closer towards her lips. "Youse won't regret it." Katherine smiles at him and turns her head the other way.

"Not tonight, Jack. Maybe soon," Katherine replies and she heads for her open window. Her thick white curtains flap lazily in the breeze. She moves towards it and Jack smiles at her.

"Thought we was friends," Jack whines and Katherine smiles at him.

"We are," She says and Jack beams at her. "Not that kind of friends, Jack." Jack's face falls and Katherine feels a little sad. "Not that I wouldn't want to be someday." Jack's face lights up and Katherine rolls her eyes.

"I'se will come back soon an maybe wese can fly away den," Jack reasons and Katherine nods a little bit.

"Maybe, we will have to see," Katherine says softly and she moves toward her window. "Good night, Jack"

"Night, Miss Plumber," Jack says sadly. He jumps up and levitates over the railing on the fire escape. "Hope ta see ya soon." Katherine nods and climbs into her bedroom. Jack smiles a wide grin at her and flies away. Katherine closes her window and the two friends wave goodbye to each other. A few nights pass and Jack comes every night. Katherine didn't know that when he meant soon that he meant the next night. The night after he first came, he begs her to fly away with him and Katherine says no. Jack does not beg after that night. About a month passes since Jack first came, Katherine happened to be at her parent's home that evening. Jack was heartbroken and flew back home. The next night, Katherine was working on her article and Jack knocked on the window. Katherine had missed him last night and had been dying to see him again. She had really grown close to Jack and was beginning to fall in love with him. When she sees him at the window, Katherine throws open the window excitedly.

"Hi, Jack," Katherine exclaims excitedly and she notices the crestfallen look on the boy she has grown to love's face. "What's wrong?" She asks when he doesn't greet her back. Jack hovers right outside of her window.

"Youse wasn't here last night," He says sadly and Katherine's eyes widen.

"That's right, I was eating dinner with my parents. I'm sorry I wasn't here to see you. That came up in the afternoon yesterday, so I couldn't tell you that I wasn't going to be here," Katherine explains and Jack's face softens a little. "But I'm here now," She says and Jack smiles.

"Yea, youse here now," He says and he moves closer to her. Before either of them realize what is happening, their lips connect. Jack floats and pulls Katherine out of the window, still kissing her this whole time. When they break, he sets her down on the fire escape. Katherine smiles and stands up against the railing. She places her hands on the railing and Jack comes up behind her. He places his hands over hers and leans his head on her shoulder. "Will ya fly away wid me now?" He asks and Katherine smiles. She turns to face him and Jack's hazel eyes stare right into her brown ones.

"Yes. I have nothing holding me back this time," She says and Jack kisses her again. Katherine feels him gently squeeze her hands as they do. The kiss was something neither of them wanted to ever end, but it did. Jack turns Katherine to face him and lets go of one of her hands to reach into his pocket. He pulls out a small pouch and sprinkles some of its contents on Katherine.

"Tink o some happy thoughts an youse will be flyin," Jack says from his place on the fire escape. Katherine clenches her eyes shut and thinks of everything that makes her happy including the boy standing in front of her. She feels herself beginning to fly and she hears the sound of someone coming up beside her. Suddenly, something comes to Katherine's mind.

"Jack, do you think any Newsies will still be out selling papers right now?" Katherine asks and Jack shrugs.

"Yea, it's possible. I'se knows of some places we can check," Jack replies. He takes her hand and the two begin to fly around New York City. The two friends find a Newsie from the Sun and Katherine buys a paper. She proudly flips the headline in Jack's direction. Her story about Crutchy's disappearance dominates the top half of the newspaper.

"Jack, we made the front page!" Katherine exclaims and Jack smiles at the paper in her hand. He kisses her cheek,

"Ya did good an youse can really write an article, Ace." Katherine thinks about the nickname for a moment.

"Ace?" She asks and Jack nods.

"Yea, like an ace reportah," Jack replies and Katherine smiles at him.

"I like it," Katherine says softly. Jack puts his hands on her upper arms.

"Ready ta go?" He asks and she nods excitedly. Jack takes her hand and the two start to fly over the city. Katherine picks up on flying very quickly and Jack pulls her up toward his home above these stinking streets. The two eventually reach Neverland, wondering what adventures lie in store for them.

AN:/ Wow, I really like this one. Like I actually feel kind of good about it. I am feeling kind of down today, so writing this was fun. I had so much fun with it and to be quite honest, I didn't know what to do for a plot at first, but eventually one came to mind. So, what did you guys think? Did you like it? I like this one better than my first Peter Pan/Newsies AU crossover one. I don't know why. And a question for all of you, if Jack were to have a sister, on what book should she be introduced? Should I introduce her here, in the Modern AU, or should she get her own book? I already know her name and who she falls in love with and stuff like that, but where should she come in? I would love feedback on everything. Also if you have not, go check out my roleplay book! I am open for suggestions on scenarios and you can submit your OCs. I would love to start roleplaying with people soon and it doesn't have to be anything crazy. I'm not sure that anything else is going to get an update this weekend. I hope you liked this oneshot. Thanks for reading it and if you have not, enjoy! See you around friends!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.3K 927 56
Everyone has a soulmate, they just don't know who. There a different ways you can find your soulmate, so how will The Newsies find theirs? Read as ou...
480 36 17
In 1899, two aspiring reporters get caught up in one of the biggest events of their time; a newsboy strike. Eleanor, Ellie, and her friend aim to be...
1.6K 12 22
What if the Newsies never forgave Jack for his betrayal speech during the rally? After the strike ended, Jack was titled "The Disgraced Newsie". Whe...
19.4K 533 19
❝Is this a picture of me?❞ • Newsies Modern AU • { newsies } { newsies ff } { newsies fanfiction } { jack kelly } { katherine plumber } { katherine p...