Life With the Newsies- One Sh...

By PineapplesAndPapes

A collection of one shots starring everybody's favorite newsboys. These will be Modern AU's, Post-strike, Pre... More

The Beginning of Another Chapter
Davey aka The Walking Mouth Learns to Drive
Life at the Races
Cousins and A Couple of Lovestruck Teenagers
Crutchy Makes Cookies
Flavi Meets the Newsies
The Aftermath of Crutchy Making Cookies
Newsies In Neverland
Fly Away With Me
Beauty and the Bad Boy
The Girl With the Journal
On the Run
Crutchy's New Friend
Those You Thought You Lost
Christmas On the Fire Escape
Trip A Little Light Fantastic With Me
Brothers Of the Battlefield
Fragments Of the Past
Swingin' In The Summertime
What A Glorious Feeling
Albert the Weatherman
Elley Sells Papes
Wait For Me
Jack of All Tales
Let It Snow
The Holiday Dance And All That Entails
The Saga of Sky High
Shenanigans of St. Patrick's Day
The Jedi and Rebel Newsies
The Craziness At Coney Island
The Rumbles That Tumble
A Change of Heart
Seventeen And Quarantined
The Hoodie Thieves
You've Got Him Wrapped Up In....Christmas Lights?
Pulitzer's Newsie
The Lost Newsie
All That Jazz
Christmas of Companionship and Chaos
Ghostly Encounters
Jack Kelly: Boys In Newsie Caps
When Dreams Become Nightmares

Find Your Future

190 7 28
By PineapplesAndPapes

Post-strike (After Flavi Meets the Newsies, you imagine how long after) Shout out to the amazing ClydesdaleGirl17 and Santa_Fe for letting me use Bianca aka Falcon! Thank you so much! She is an amazing character and I can't wait to see what happens to her in my one shot group!

Bianca had not seen her brother in years. She remembers the last moment she saw him like it was yesterday. In fact, Bianca clung to that memory like a small child clings to a toy of sentimental value.

*Flashback*

A young five year old Bianca sleeps peacefully in her bed. She dreams of things that only a little innocent girl can dream of . Suddenly, her dreams shatter away as she is woken by her brother, Anthony.

"Bianca, wake up! We'se gotta go now!" Anthony, the seven year old boy, says quickly as he helps his sister to her feet. She grumbles slightly until she hears the sound of  heavy boots outside of  their one room apartment door. BANG!! BANG!! The heavy boots tread up close to their door. Anthony quickly helps his sister pack her things. He then tosses his things out onto the fire escape and sets his younger sister down on it. Bianca still struggles to rub the sleep out of her eyes. A loud knock comes to the door.  Anthony struggles out the window and the two children hide on the fire escape as the banging rings louder on the door. Both children know what the sound of the knocking means. Their mother, a criminal mastermind, has been wanted by the police for quite some time now. She has been behind some of the greatest crimes in all of New York City and the Higgins had moved a few times now thanks to her. The police were on the lookout for Anthony and Bianca too, wanting to lock them up in the Refuge or an orphanage. Anthony had decided to do everything in his power to keep himself and his younger sister out of the Refuge forever. The door to the apartment swings open and Anthony gestures down the fire escape. Bianca and Anthony silently make their way down the fire escape and as soon as their feet hit the streets, they take off running for some kind of shelter. At that moment, they hear a scream from the front of the building.

"Get your hands off of me! I'm not the woman that you want to arrest! I'm innocent, I promise. I have two children, just please do not take them too!"  A woman's voice shouts from that general direction of the building. Her angry screams continue as the police arrest her and Anthony guides his sister through the busy streets. At one point, the two children weave their way through a crowd. A group of men stand in the way of Bianca and she is soon separated from Anthony. Chaos begins to seize the crowd and the police soon arrive. One of the officers recognizes Bianca. She tries to run, but two officers stand in her way and haul her off to the Refuge. Her head is smacked with something hard when she tries to wriggle away and she falls unconscious. Anthony looks for his younger sister, but cannot seem to find her anywhere. He sees and hears the police and starts to run, calling out for his sister as he runs. Hours later, Bianca wakes up in a room all by herself on the floor. The room is dark and contains a single window looking out on the bleak courtyard. Bianca thinks her way through the small room and just out of curiosity, she tries to open the door. Not to her surprise, it is locked. Suddenly, the door swings open and a man yanks to her feet. He pulls her down to the dining hall where everyone is getting some food and eating in silence. Complete silence. After a short time, Bianca is escorted back to her cell, and the guard who walked her there suddenly goes to help a guard with a struggling prisoner. Bianca peeks out of her cell and sees a dark haired boy, who based on his angry shouting, has a thick New York accent. She sneaks down the hall and carefully hides in various places, trying hard to search for the front door. The faint sounds of a scuffle breaking out echo from down the hall.  Bianca keeps sneaking around and notices a guard sleeping with a ring of keys sliding out of his pocket. She carefully pulls the keys out of his pocket and beelines for the front door. After several attempts at trying to find the right one, she finally does and she pushes the door open. The dark haired boy from behind comes running right at her.

"GO!" He mouths to her and Bianca pushes open the door. The two prisoners escape and start running toward the gate. Bianca hangs onto the keys and the guard that had been asleep is now awake. He begins to chase them and the dark haired scoops Bianca up and  does the sprinting for the both of them. The boy helps Bianca up and over the fence and then he follows her. The two stay together and run to the streets.

"We'se can stop now, we'se lost em," He says as he peers over his shoulders nervously. "Da name's Jack Kelly by da way."

"I'se Bianca Higgins!"  Bianca replies quietly. She and Jack shake hands and he smiles at her.

"Well, ya got a place ta stay?" Jack asks her and she shakes her head. "Ya wanna stay at da Newsboys Lodging House? Dat's where I'se lives an I'se a Newsie." Bianca shakes her head again. She wants to find her own place and does not want to live with a bunch of boys. "Ya shoah? Dese streets ain't safe at night and da bulls will be lookin for us soon enough. I'se got annudah idea." Jack takes her hand and the two walk over to Irving Hall. Pushing open the door, a woman turns to shoo them out. When she sees Jack, a smile breaks out onto her face.

"Jack Kelly!" The woman cries excitedly, "Where on Earth have you been kid?"

"Hey, Miss Medda! In da Refuge. In fact, I'se got ta ask a favor o ya," Jack replies and pulls me next to him.

"Oh, darling!" Medda gasps as she looks at my street soiled clothes. "What's your name and how old are you?" Bianca quickly tells her and Medda's  eyes widen at her story. "Good thinking to bring her here, Kelly." Jack shrugs his shoulders in an innocent way. "Would you like to stay here for awhile? Sounds like you had a rough day and it would be better if you did."

"Shoah, dat would be real nice, Miss Medda!" Bianca says with a grin. "Besides I wouldn't want ta get Jack in any more trouble."  Medda lets out a roar of a laugh and Jack blushes at the teasing. "Seems like youse prone for trouble."  Jack peeks out the window and heads for the door.

"Well, I'se bettah get on back ta da Lodge. Fellas will be watitin on me," He says as he opens the door.

"Thanks for helpin me!" Bianca declares as he leaves and Jack gives a wave.

Fast forward ten years and Bianca still lives at Irving Hall and Medda pays her to work at the theatre. Recently, Medda has discussed moving to a different theatre in Manhattan. The popularity of her shows are rapidly requiring a larger venue. Bianca is thinking of finding another place to live since she is fifteen now and can take care of herself. A short while ago, she had heard about a Newsboys strike happening with a Jack Kelly as the leader. Bianca is reminded of the boy who first brought her to Medda that night so long ago. Jack had stopped in frequently, but had most likely forgotten about her. Bianca loves working with Medda, but she had missed seeing Jack and it had been a long time since she had seen him; however, she missed her older brother even more. Suddenly, a hand on her shoulder startles her from her thoughts.

"Bianca, are you alright, sweet heart?" Medda asks sweetly and Bianca jumps a little bit at her touch. She shakes herself out of her trance and asks,

"Yea, was I lookin a liddle green in da face or something?" Medda chuckles at her young charge and pats her shoulder again.

"Something. You doing alright, you seem a little worried," Medda states, looking at the typically outgoing and sarcastic girl. Bianca shrugs and notices Bryan, one of the stage hands coming up to the concessions bar where she works.

"Nice ta see ya ugly mug," Bianca greets sarcastically and Bryan laughs at the sarcastic nature of the insult.

"Hello to you too," Bryan says quietly and Medda shoots Bianca a wink.

"I'se don't do da whole love game ting, Medda. I'se enjoys bein a single pringle for life. Besides, messin wid Bryan is more fun," Bianca says. Bryan rolls his eyes. Bianca notices rather quickly. "Oh! An youse don't tink so, well dat's too bad." Bryan mutters something at Bianca.

"You're crazy," He says and Bianca does not pretend to hear.

"What'd ya say? Did ya say dat I'se wonderful?" Bianca jokes sarcastically. "I knows ya tink I am." She pauses long enough to watch the blush creep up onto Bryan's cheeks. "Besides youse gets redder den a tomato, no wonder it gets so heated in here."  Medda is full out laughing at this point as she listens to Bianca dish out sarcasm. Bianca glances over at the clock and lets out a yawn.

"Bianca, sweetie, I think it would be best if you went to bed," Medda gently advises and Bianca nods, hugging Medda before she heads up to her tiny room in the theatre. Once she gets into her room, Bianca thumbs through her things until she finds an old photo of her and her brother. It has been ten long years and she misses him so much. She knows she will probably never see him again. Or will she? A few nights later, Medda opens up the theatre to the Newsies and all of the Manhattan Newsies arrive. Bianca manages the concessions bar as she always does when she notices one particular Newsie hanging around Medda a lot. Her attention is suddenly diverted by a young man sitting down at the bar in front of her.

"Well, hello dere, Miss. Ya mind gettin us someting ta drink? Noting too heavy, just someting as sweet an simple like youse," The boy says with a slight note of flirtatiousness to his voice. Bianca rolls her eyes and starts to make the drinks.

"Ya know for someone who's a Newsie, ya really need ta work on da charm. It ain't hittin da spot," Bianca says quickly and the boy sputters a little bit in surprise.

"Scuse me! I'se gonna go find someone ta dance wid," The boy says quickly and leaves with his drink. Bianca groans slightly as he leaves, thankful that she lives with Medda. Speaking of Medda, that familiar boy is still talking to her. Medda eventually sends him off in a different direction and wanders up onto the stage. Bianca scoots out from behind the bar to watch her sing. As Medda begins to sing a song about some guy that broke her heart at one point, Bianca begins to dream about being on the stage. She has always longed to be in one of Medda's shows and perform her own act. The stage has been a dream of Bianca's even before she was separated from her brother. They had always pretended like the streets of New York was their stage and the people of New York City were their audience. It had been a fantasy that had seemed so real to the small children at the time, but now Bianca knows better. No one in New York ever cares about what the kids on the streets do and they never really had. Medda's song ends and Bianca goes back to working.  The daydream from the past fading along with the last notes of the orchestra. Suddenly, before she registers what is happening, the familiar boy who had been talking to Medda, slid down into an empty bar stool. Bianca takes a good look at the boy sitting before her and realizes just how familiar the boy looks to her. He turns to face her and Bianca stifles a gasp. The boy looks like Anthony, her brother. After talking with the boy next to him, the Anthony look alike looks at her and something flashes across his face.

"Scuse me for askin such a poirsonal question an youse don't gotta answah if ya don't wanna, but is yer last name Higgins?" The boy asks bluntly and Bianca nods her head quickly. 

"Let me guess an youse da king o England since ya thought ya could ask a question like that," Bianca responds and every boy sitting at the bar oooos at the sass that the boy standing across from her received. The boy rolled his eyes and asks,

"Answah da question, I ain't got all day. Youse a Higgins or not?" Bianca dramatically pretends to think. She notices a dark haired girl with bright blue eyes standing behind the boy. The way the girl is looking at the boy tells Bianca that she needs to tread carefully. Especially if this boy isn't Anthony.

"Dat depends on whether or not youse askin sos youse can know whether or not ta take me out on a date, cause, I'se gonna say no. But I'se sure dat goil behind youse wouldn't mind a bit, would ya now?" Bianca asks quickly, playing up the sass for her audience.

"Da name's Flavi, but the Newsies call me Dots," says the girl standing behind the boy. She shakes hands with Bianca and Bianca introduces herself.

"Ta answah yer question, yer Royal Highness, my name's Bianca Higgins," Bianca states and every boy turns to look at the boy who had asked her the question.

"Bianca, is dat really youse?" The boy asks and Bianca shrugs.

"Depends on who youse are, an yes da name is Bianca Higgins. Case ya didn't catch it before," Bianca says sarcastically and the boys laugh. One of them, the one who had flirted with Bianca earlier, says,

"Yep, she's definitely related to youse, Race. She's got da Higgins attitude." The whole group laughs again and the boy being referred to as Race begins to blush.

"So, Race Higgins, is Race ya real name or ya got a different one dat ya muddah gave ya?" Bianca asks, looking over at the boy. Race places a hand over his heart and pretends to be offended.

"Youse don't know whether or not Race is da name me muddah gave me. It shoah as well could a been," Race dramatizes and Bianca plays along.

"Ya shoah? Maybe da name me muddah gave me ain't Bianca den," She quips and another chorus of oooos echo around the bar area. Race shakes his head and gives in.

"Alright youse won dat round, my name's not Racetrack, its..." Race is interrupted by the sound of something falling from the ceiling. Startled screams fill the theatre and Bianca gasps as she sees a small flame quickly fan up into a large one. Bianca runs toward the stairs that lead up to her room. Medda starts instructing people to leave the theatre, but Bianca doesn't listen. She hears Race call out a "Hey! Come back here", but that does not stop her. Bianca makes it up to her tiny bedroom and grabs every single one of her things. Race helps Flavi outside and Bianca gasps as she hears the sound of something giving way. Bianca opens her door and gasps when she sees that flames have run wild over the floor outside her room. She turns to the tiny window, realizing that she has only one place to go. Bianca throws her things up onto the fire escape and struggles to pull herself up. A crowd linger below in the alleyway and Bianca can hear their gasps and cries.

"There's a girl up there!"

"I hope she doesn't fall!"

"Hang in dere, goil!" Bianca manages to get herself halfway up and finally, she pulls herself through. She hurries down to the fire escape and jumps to the short distance below. Medda bustles around, talking to the Newsies and trying to make sure that they are doing well. Bianca starts to search for Race to find out what his real name is. She finds him staring somberly at the building, watching it as it burns. Jack Kelly stands next to him, trying to talk some sense into his brother. Bianca crosses her arms and says,

"Ey! Dere ain't no funeral, so why da long face?" Race and Jack both turn around. Bianca chuckles at their startled expressions. "So, Race, what is ya real name?" Race walks up to Bianca and looks her in the eye.

"Anthony Higgins. An youse, Bianca Higgins, are my sister dat I thought I lost a long time ago," Race says, taking her face in his hands. He looks into her eyes and wraps her up into a tight hug. They only break apart when the fire department arrives. "So, why'd ya go back up inta da theatre?" Race asks once the three move to the side lawn. Bianca gestures to her things in her arms and Race's eyes widen.

"Dese are my only tings an I ain't about ta let em get boirned," Bianca announces and Jack smiles a large smile at Bianca.

"I'se always knew dat youse was like dat, Bianca," Jack says and Race has a very confused look on his face.

"Youse two has met before now? Jack, why didn't ya tell me dis?" Race asks, clearly upset that Jack had met his sister before Race could introduce the two of them.

"Bianca an I escaped out a da Refuge togeddah," Jack replies and Race's eyes widen again.

"Youse escaped from da Refuge, Bianca?" asks Race and Bianca nods. "Youse just like a falcon." Bianca and Jack both exchange glances and Bianca says,

"Say dat again, Race." Race gives a chuckle and says,

"Yea, you'se just like a falcon. Youse prey ta da bulls, but ya still got away from em." Bianca and Jack both laugh a little bit at the idea. They certainly are prey to the bulls and only the Manhattan Newsies and Race's sister can get away from them. Jack turns back to the burning Irving Hall and suggests,

"Well Bianca, since ya current home is on fire. How bout wese go ta da Lodgin House an find you a bed? Seems like ya bruddah's already got ya nickname. You'se fit ta be a Newsie now!" Bianca thinks about this for a second. She knew she would still get to see Medda, but just not as often as she would as if she were living in the theatre. The thought of moving on from Irving Hall saddens Bianca. A part of her never wants to move on, but looking at the burning building, she knows there is a good chance that she is never coming back. Jack and Race notice her hesitation and comfort her.

"Ey, Bianca. Dere ain't noting left for ya here. Da building's burnt and Medda's gotta find anuddah place," Race says, pulling his sister into a hug. Bianca smiles at the encouragement and says,

"Yer right."

"Atta goil, Falcon," Jack congratulates and Bianca, now Falcon, blushes at the use of her new name. Medda suddenly comes bustling up to the trio.

"Bianca! I am so happy that you got out alive! And you have your things! Somehow I knew you would go back for them. Oh! Say Jack? Are you going to take her in?" Medda asks quickly and Jack nods.

"Miss Medda, youse lookin at Falcon, da newest Manhattan Newsie," Jack introduces and Medda pulls Falcon into a tight hug. Falcon hugs her back and Medda whispers in her ear,

"You ever need anything, you can come talk to me, and you know that." Falcon nods and Medda lets her go. She wipes a tear from her eyes and puts a firm hand on Falcon's shoulder. Jack rounds up the rest of the Newsies and Falcon follows them back to the Lodging House.  Race chuckles and shakes his head in disbelief.

"I'se don't believe it!" He says and Falcon looks over at her brother.

"What?" She asks and Race chuckles again.

"Youse been right where I could see ya all da time da whole time an I nevah figahed it out," Race says and Falcon rolls her eyes.

"Youse are ridiculous, ya know dat. But, I'se glad ta be wid ya again. I missed bein wid ya, Race," She replies. The siblings arrive at the Lodging House and Falcon looks up at it.  This is her new home where her future lies for the next few years. Race watches his sister take everything in.

"Ya ready ta become a Newsie?" Race asks and Falcon nods. She and Race step inside and Falcon writes her name in the sign in book. Falcon Higgins stares back at the new Newsgirl. Race spit shakes into his hand and Falcon eagerly returns the favor. Flavi appears from upstairs and smiles at Race and Falcon.

"So, Race?" Flavi asks her friend. "Who's da newest Newsie?" Falcon extends her hand and introduces herself,

"I'se Falcon Higgins, Racetrack's little sister." Flavi spits into hers and holds it out. Falcon takes her hand back, spits into it, and then shakes hands with the other girl. Flavi and Race both announce at the same time.

"Welcome ta da Newsies, Falcon!"

AN:/ Santa_Fe and Clydesdalegirl17, thank you for letting me use Falcon in this story! I finally finished the introduction to her in this book! As long as it is okay with Santa_Fe, she shall join my regular cast of characters throughout this book. I have more oneshot ideas and then who knows? Davey hasn't driven in a long time, maybe we could see what he's up to. I do have another request that is on the list of one shots and more are welcome, so please tell me about your OCs if you would like them to be a part of my oneshot book. I love Falcon and cannot wait to include her in the craziness that is my one shots! She is such an amazing character and I cannot wait to see what happens with her. So, what did you guys think of this one? I enjoyed writing it. I hope you enjoyed reading it! Also, She's the King of New York got a new chapter just so everyone is aware! Thank you to all of my amazing readers! I have over 290 reads and I'm hoping that this next shot bumps me up to 300! Thank you to all of my followers! You guys are very supportive and are amazing writers. Thanks for welcoming me to Wattpad. Hopefully, a chapter for A Blast From the Past will come out soon and hopefully another chapter of There's A Life That's Worth the Living, which has gotten a lot of love! Thank you so much for reading that one! Personally, I love mysteries and I had never seen that done before on any other site that I know of, so I wanted to try it.  Anyways, enough from me, I hope you are enjoying these oneshots. Thank you so much for reading and making Wattpad fun! See you soon, friends!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.8K 411 20
Requests are currently closed. Mainly x reader and ship oneshots, but I'll do headcanons too. No smut. Enjoy!
38.4K 589 42
Hi okay hello. These are just some one shots from Newsies. If you have any ship requests or plot ideas feel free to message me or comment id be ha...
7.1K 179 20
Suddenly, a person runs into David. He's taken by surprise by the impact. The two stumble back a little. That's when David sees who he ran into, some...
12.7K 125 16
Adie Gray, formerly Adelaide Walsh, enlists the help of a dear friend to run away from her abusive father. While on the streets, trying to survive, s...