Evolution

By EmbracingYou

They escaped; and now they are on the run. Subject Six and her pack faced the destruction of their lives, all... More

Evolution: The Prologue
Evolution: Chapter 1
Evolution: Chapter 2
Evolution: Chapter 3
Evolution: Chapter 4
Evolution: Chapter 5
Evolution: Chapter 6
Evolution: Chapter 7
Evolution: Chapter 8
Evolution: Chapter 9
Evolution: Chapter 10
Evolution: Chapter 11
Evolution: Chapter 12
Evolution: Chapter 13
Evolution: Chapter 14
Evolution: Chapter 15
Evolution: Chapter 16
Evolution: Chapter 17
Evolution: Chapter 18
Evolution: Chapter 19
Evolution: Chapter 20
Evolution: Chapter 21
Evolution: Chapter 22
Evolution: Chapter 23
Evolution: Chapter 24
Evolution: Chapter 25
Evolution: Chapter 26
Evolution: Chapter 27
Evolution: Chapter 28
Evolution: Chapter 29
Evolution: Chapter 30
Evolution: Chapter 31
Evolution: Chapter 32
Evolution: Chapter 33
Evolution: Chapter 34
Evolution: Chapter 35
Evolution: Chapter 36
Evolution: Chapter 37
Evolution: Chapter 39
Evolution: Chapter 40
Evolution: Chapter 41
Evolution: Chapter 42
Evolution: Chapter 43
Evolution: Chapter 44
Evolution: Chapter 45
Evolution: Chapter 46
Evolution: Chapter 47
Evolution: Chapter 48
Evolution: The Epilogue
FORMATION

Evolution: Chapter 38

2.2K 173 15
By EmbracingYou

I don't like the city.

Everything about the damned place was loud. Too many human's all around me, all of them harboring their own scents. Even their scents had scents, it was all so much to handle at once.

Not to mention the noise. Different voices all merged together like a hive, buzzing around my head. I could hear women complaining about money, and men. Men complaining about jobs, and the law force.

Children crying for food, crying for parents.

I'd never heard so much sadness and bitterness in all my life.

Venom was behind the wheel, driving us through the busy city roads. Headphones over my ears were all I could do to help myself, picking through all the scents. This city sucked, it smelled like the sewage running beneath it up top.

Ripper sat in the back beside me, his arm resting along the window. Gaze cast outwards with a pensive expression, "It really has all gone to shit." He commented, drumming his fingers against the window, "I thought everyone was just being dramatic."

"It doesn't look so bad." I commented, thinking all the chaos outside was just normal. I saw the way Venom's brows rose in the side mirror, "It smells awful thought."

Everywhere I looked, there were people. They moved swiftly to get to their destination, barging past each other with shouts. My nose picked up the sicknesses instantly, like a rancid cloud over humanity.

There was even more of it here than in the human colony back at Genesis. So many different types too, buried under their skin, and rooted deep inside of them.

Ripper clicked his tongue against his teeth, "There used be an order within society; a balanced one." He went on to explain, and I twisted my head towards him, "Power and greed destroyed it. I think they still call it a democracy out of sentimentality."

Venom made a noise of agreement at the back of her throat, "We're going downtown." She informed me, and my eyes slid over the boarded-up stores lining the streets, "The bottom of the food line. We call it the Barrel Town, you know, like the bottom of the barrel?"

I recognized the saying but it didn't do much to lighten my mood. Especially when we got there, because it really was worse. More people were huddled around the streets, clinging to filthy blankets, and begging for food.

Even Ripper had to wrinkle his nose at the stench that penetrated the air, "Oh, yes. This is definitely where he's hiding." He muttered, shaking his head at dismay, "It's one way to keep people out of his business."

"We need to dump the car, or it will get stolen." Venom announced, turning in to one of the alleyways. I noticed the way her fingers tightened around the wheel, "We're going to walk from here."

All the alleyways were lined with odd makeshift tents. Made from foraged plastic sheets that were held up my half fences, or damp boxes. Amazed faces stared as we drove through the narrow space, only stopping when we reached the end.

I heard the way Venom's heart quickened when a ragged aged man stepped out. Dressed in an over-sized suit jacket, or what must have been one, and damp pants held up with a tie. His eyes narrowed as they took in the sleek vehicle.

"This is Picket territory!" The man barked, slapping a dirty hand against the window. An odor reeked from his entire body, "Nice wheels here, little lady. Come out real slow, and we can take them off your hands."

My eyes followed the bodies that slowly melted into view around the car. Staring at it like it was a freshly baked chicken, their eyes almost glittering. Most of their skins had a sickly pastiness about it, but they still managed to look somewhat menacing.

Turning to Ripper, I raised my brows in question. He held his hands up comfortingly, passing me a calm look, as he slowly eased out of the car. Venom muttered something under her breath, throwing the door open hard enough to almost make the man topple backwards.

"Well, that's no way to welcome me back," She announced loudly, kicking the door shut behind her. The man visibly balked at the sight of her, "So, Picket. You want the keys, or the fee to watch over it?"

Dirtied hair was tied back from the mans face. Upon close inspection, he was actually younger looking than I first thought. It must have been from the layers of dirt, covering his weathered face. His brows furrowed at the sight of Venom, and he burst into a loud guffaw.

Slapping his hands against his worn jeans, he cocked his head at her, "Well, slit my throat and sing for an ambulance." He drawled, jamming his hands in his pockets, "I thought you were dead, sly."

"Only on the inside." Venom replied, I could feel the tension rolling off her in waves, "So, what will it be? Money, or the keys?"

Ripper wrinkled his nose at the men peering at him. Looking distinctly out of place, thanks to his expensive tastes in suits, and I guess the daily grooming helped too. He looked like a literal diamond in the rough.

I could already hear whispers concerning how much his jacket would fetch. Other's simply wanted to hog tie him, and see how much ransom they could get. My lips curled when a particular comment was made about me, I leveled the muttering goon with a severe glare.

Discomfort overcame me when several of the men's attentions fell on me. The way they looked at me, as if I were a meal, made bile tickle the base of my throat. It was a male kind of want that shone in their eyes, and it made me want to gouge them out.

Picket, as the man went by, only grinned in response. Showcasing his crooked teeth with a dimple popping out. It almost made him look harmless, "Aren't you going to share? It's almost story time." He announced, and more people started to close in, "Hm, this your Old Man? I didn't think you were the type to marry up. Or, are you just his whore?"

Ripper scoffed indignantly, "Marriage? I would never." He muttered in disdain, then quirked a brow at me, "Don't ever marry. Men and women have turned into money scavenging beasts."

Now really didn't seem like the appropriate time for one of his moments. Especially not when the numbers of the humans surrounding us were growing. My eyes darted across a dozen faces, taking in the small, rusted knives some of them carried.

My eyes stopped on the hollowed face of a young boy, only for a second. His face was scrunched up, in an attempt to look intimidating, and his hands gripped the handle of bat. It didn't escape my notice how it had dozes of nail heads poking out of it.

"I could have taken my money and this car anywhere," Venom informed Picket, barely concealed frustration burning through her tone, "I chose here. Now, you want to cut out the hard man act, and get a move on. Or stand like a moron chimp, beating your chest?

Picket's lips curled in distaste at being called out, "Follow me." He barked, sweeping his arms out. The bodies parted, a direction to follow behind him, "No one touches the motor. If they do, then they lose their hand!"

"Keys it is."

"I never said that, sly." Picket smirked over his shoulder, sweeping back the green tarp over one of the larger tents, "Welcome to my boudoir. Want to introduce your pretty friends?"

We ducked under the make shift entrance, and I almost gagged. Inside it smelled much worse, even with the candles burning to mask the stench. Especially the one coming from the bucket in the corner.

A stained mattress was propped up on slates at the back, behind a half-opened curtain. I was surprised by the one doored wardrobe, beside the chest of rickety looking filing cabinets. There was also what appeared to be a couch, although, who knows what kind of vermin had claimed it before.

Venom looked surprisingly at ease as she settled on the many arm chair across from him, "This is No One," She gestured to Ripper, who looked truly repulsed by his surroundings, and then flicked a finger at me, "And Nobody. We run a real tight ship; now, can we get to the good stuff?"

She was familiar with this way of living, I could tell just by looking at her. Not to mention that the people here seemed pretty familiar with who she was. It was obvious by the way some glared at her, and how the seeming ring master addressed her.

Picket scoffed at her with a slow shake of his head, "Tell me, where did to vanish to, all these years?" He questioned, reaching into a hole cut into a cushion. He pulled out a half-eaten packet of potato chips, "Last time I saw you, you had the devil's breath on the back of your neck. You couldn't even stand."

"Well, I couldn't stay here. Could I?" Venom snapped, her composure cracking for a mere second, "What, with your solid rules in 'pay, and you stay'. You made it clear that if I couldn't work, I didn't have a place on your streets."

The man waved her off with a huff, "T'is the way the world works, Sly. I couldn't go around, cutting corners, for you." He defended, shoving a mouthful of chips into his mouth, "Besides, you turned out well enough in the end, huh?"

"I need access to your streets." Venom cut in with a furious expression, she smoothed her hands against her legs, "In exchange, you'll get a payday that'll feed you for a month. Think you can spare me your dramatics?"

Picket clearly didn't like being spoken to in that manner. His hand flinched, like he was going to lift it. Venom stiffened ever so slightly, but didn't remove her firm gaze from his. It made my brows wing up in question.

Clearly, he had some sort of ownership in this area. Either way, the sense of authority was written all over him, in the way he carried himself, how he spoke. He'd even named his territory after himself, this was a man who clearly craved respect.

And he wasn't getting it from someone who used to be under his lead.

"What makes you think your worth that kind of trouble?" Picket grunted, leaning back. He kicked his legs onto the wobbling coffee table, propped up by thick books, "You know I run a tight ship. I don't want anyone interfering with my guys work-"

Venom slammed her hand down on the table. Hard enough to make the whole thing quake, "I'm being nice here, when you don't deserve it." She began with a low snarl, and I started to recognize her again, "This is time sensitive. So, you either give me a damn straight answer, or I'll take my business elsewhere."

"Elsewhere?" Picket let out a cackle, his smile melted away. He was clearly getting bored of the batting between them, "Sly, ain't no one going to take money from you. Because everyone knows your one of my ex dupes. And ain't nobody want a cast out runt like you, traipsing through their territory."

Fury painted Venom's features, and I had to say, it was satisfying. Watching the anger chorus through her really did feel like a picnic for me. I wondered if it felt the same as what mine did, like a needle digging itself deeper under your skin.

Her entire body trembled from it, "Get out." She snapped, not even looking at us. But we knew she was speaking to us, "I said get out!"

Ripper looked entirely displeased about this whole situation, "Fix it quickly." He sighed to Venom, his lips pursed as we stepped out, "Time is running out, darling."

Venom didn't reply as we stepped outside, instantly faced against the prowlers awaiting our presence. My nose wrinkled when they got too close, "Well, aren't you a pretty little lady?" One of them crooned, making me shudder.

"Pretty she may be," Ripper drawled, straightening the cuffs of his jacket, "But she has an awful temper. Honestly, I'd bide your time and take your interests elsewhere."

My eyes moved from all their faces, taking in the hollow cheeks, and oily hair. It made me wonder when they'd last bathed, if they were lucky, it would rain soon. Although, that'd be much luckier for me.

There were some women here too. It was hard to keep track of them because they moved around so much. Their heads ducked as they carted around heavy rucksacks, dropping some and picking up others.

It was hard not to notice how young they were.

One of the more confident of the men cackled, "Nonsense." He croaked, coming way too close for comfort, "I like a little thing with some bite-"

My hand caught the wrist that snatched out to catch me. Gripping it tightly, I jerked it until I heard a crack, and the vile man let out a pained howl. Shoving his broken wrist against him, he huddled away from me, cradling his wounded limb to his chest.

"I'm not interested." I barked, feeling disgusted that I had to say it. Honestly, the sooner we left this place, the better, "Leave us alone."

Anger boiled under the layers of humiliation on the man's face, "No one likes a pristine bitch anyway!" He snarled, stalking away with his chin lifted high, "Better watch that sweet ass anyway, someone else might come looking for it!"

Other men stared at me warily, but not all. I think I'd only excited a couple of them with my dominant stance. When would they learn how to register someone's obvious distaste towards them?

A shout came from inside the tent, gaining my attention. My head turned just as Venom stalked out, readjusting the sunglasses that had been glued to her face, "We're good to go." She muttered, her lips pursed in a fine line, "But we better hurry. Streets get more dangerous the darker it gets."

That, I could believe.

______________________________________________

A/N

I, myself, am a small town type of girl! I guess it's because I've lived in one for the past 15 odd years. Although, everyone in being in everyone's business gets real old, real quick. Quirky fact about where I come from; we used to have a picture house.

Until my dad accidentally burned it down. We all have our flaws, smoking in places he should't have been was one of his.

Anyway, what do we think of this chapter? Leave a comment of your thoughts. Also, if there's some funny history, or weird fact about your town/city; let me know! I love hearing about the places that have parades and history dedicated days!

Thank's for reading guys, as always, you are awesome!

- EmbracingYou

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133K 5.6K 31
Nothing scares a wolf more than a hunter. Humans with weapons and bloodlust thick in their scent, they are born that way. All humans are bad news...
7.3K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...
163K 8.6K 33
Humans were protected by law. In a small town filled with both human and wolf, they lived alongside each other. Protect each other. Laws were create...
2.4K 59 10
**[WARNING!]** **[THIS STORY CONTAINS: BUGS, BODY HORROR, INHUMANE EXPERIMENTATION, ANIMAL CRUELTY, TORTURE, STOCKHOLM, SELF HARM, AND GENERAL VIOLEN...