Ready to Suffer, Ready to Hop...

By Anika_Ann_M

How to deal with your fiancée almost getting voluntarily buried alive under a building together with his basi... More

Author's notes
1) The great escape
2) The therapist
3) Heartbeat
4) Not so secret lair
Bonus: The double-F team-up
5) Ain't how you hit the mat
6) What I didn't need to know
7) The vigilante bro code
8) Nothing else we can do (I may still have faith in you)
9) A step to nowhere
11) The start of something
Bonus: A way to break through
Sequel - book four

10) Friends like these

659 24 17
By Anika_Ann_M

The first thing she was aware of was a warm body being in bed with her. That she wasn't used to, not for the past few days. It felt incredibly nice and comforting, which would explain the other thing too.

The other thing was her limbs being wrapped about the said body like an octopus. Vera squeezed her eyes shut and cursed under her breath. That was not what she had wanted to do.

Yes, she had said 'maybe' to Matt. But it was 'maybe' and not an enthusiastic 'YES'. Yes, he had kissed her forehead and cheek and she had liked it – because she had been high on meds-- yeah, definitely, one aspirin was the thing to blame it on – and so they had kissed a little, like kissed, and she had liked that even more. And they had touched hands and she... yeah, okay, she had definitely clung on his forearm when going to sleep. But this?! The sleepy octopus thing? That was a fucking treason. Her body had been being naughty when liking touching Matt the evening before, but this was it being an actual traitor.

Vera opened her eyes, only meeting Matt's shirt. This was new too – was she clinging on him that much that he hadn't even stripped and changed? Oh god, Vera.... She carefully untangled her legs from between his first, startled at the sound of his sleepy hum.

She quickly snapped her head up – his eyes were half open as if the weak daylight at the base was hurting him. She didn't bother with careful when freeing him of her arms.

"Sorry," she whispered, not sure if she was apologizing for waking him up or for... attacking him in his sleep.

Matt's gaze was focused to nowhere, soft with sleep; the instinct to just snuggle him and fall asleep again was strong, but the pang in her stomach was warning her and for a good reason. She gulped.

"I didn't mind," he murmured, voice low, still rough with sleep. Her fingers actually itched to straighten his bedhead a little, her heart warm and aching at the same time at the sight.

She scanned him again. "Matt, the position you're in cannot be comfortable and my grabby limbs were preventing you from moving," she stated, intentionally avoiding the fact that he might have liked it, liked the closeness the same way she did. That was a dangerous territory she didn't want to enter.

"I didn't mind," he repeated quietly and she closed her eyes at that. So much for avoiding it.

" 'kay." Vera cowardly rolled over to check her phone and mainly, the time. "It's almost nine. We should get up."

When she turned back to him, he was already supporting himself on his elbow, his free hand running down his face.

"And I should get a shower. Is there... a free towel somewhere? I didn't really-" he stopped in the middle of the sentence, grimacing. Vera could only imagine how the sentence ended in his head. She wasn't sure she wanted to know.

"Yeah, I'll give you one."

"Thanks."

She was sitting in the spacy room in silence, her mind racing. Okay, this... would be messy. She had wanted to stay at the base so they wouldn't be alone, because... because... she wasn't sure how to treat him. And here they were.

She was still pissed. Oh god, she was so pissed and betrayed, even though the feeling was fading away slowly, because she... she actually believed he hadn't picked Elektra over her. No, he had picked... his freaking guilt or whatever over her and while it was slightly better, it still hurt. Breaking promises wasn't much better.

And of course, yesterday, her own guilt had mixed up with that and had made it even messier.

The other feelings she was trying to drown, vainly; the urge to slip into their familiarity, into his embrace, meet his lips again and in a different way than just pecking them, to tell him she loved him just to see his smile, the one special smile— yeah, crap, but she knew there was no denying it; she loved him, even between all of that. And maybe it was making her a bitch, but she was not about to admit it out loud, not any time soon.

She grabbed her phone, quickly writing a text.

Please come. I don't care how many people or what you'll do here, just come here. She sent it to Felicity and Oliver both.

That was definitely her being a whiny little coward, but she didn't care. She knew they were coming back to New York tonight and there was no way of avoiding being alone with him there, not to mention the feeling of familiarity would only urge the compulsion to ignore that she was hurting. She knew facing him alone was inevitable, but if she could postpone that for few more hours, she would take it.

We'll be there in about an hour. Survive?

Vera snorted at Felicity's response, biting her lip when she realized Matt could probably hear that. So be it.

---

Matt was cautious as well, she could tell. He had no idea where the border between them started and ended and how much he could afford to push it; so he stepped out of the bathroom fully clothed, his hair less of a mess and his gait unsure. They were still alone. Well, shit.

She cleared her throat, rising from her spot on the bed. She had changed from her improvised pyjama, but had camped on the bed anyway. "How do you feel?"

Matt stopped few steps from her, face plain confusion, body tense. Vera realized how that sounded and mentally kicked herself.

"I mean... your injuries. The cuts-" - I've seen in the shower we were in together, kissing and stuff, before the revelation and my abrupt escape - "-you had. Bruising."

"Good. Yeah, they're... okay," he said slowly, an approximation of a smile flashing on his lips for a moment. It was a tiny tight thing and it didn't quite reach his eyes, but it was there. "You?"

"Me?"

That startled a chuckle from him. "Yeah. You. You were fighting— fighting ninjas too."

"I don't think they were ninjas. Not the... ninja ninjas," she muttered and she noticed his painfully obvious tension slightly resolving. The tension was replaced by something different; his fingers curled up into loose fists repeatedly, rubbing each other. Less alert, but still very nervous.

Yeah, that was about how she felt.

"Roy, uhm... Roy said you were doing good. Really good, even... even with billy clubs."

Vera snorted. "We apparently have a different idea of 'really good'."

"Well, you're still here."

He seemed to realize his mistake when she inhaled sharply at the sudden twist of her insides. She tried her best to ignore the feeling. They would have to talk about it eventually. Maybe this was how – easing their way into it, baby steps.

She shrugged as casually as she managed.

"I guess. I... I had a good teacher." The rubbing of his fingers stopped. She lowered her gaze. "And Roy was there, looking out for me. He said you sent him."

"Yeah, I... I felt like you would need him more than we would... I... I was... worried," he said in the end, the word much heavier than its usual meaning. 'Worry' was an understatement, she was sure.

"I was... worried too." Scared shitless. Terrified.

"Good thing you knew who to call," he offered, the tiny smile returning. This time, she couldn't resist and smiled too.

"Yeah."

"But you didn't answer the question."

If she didn't know better, she might even think he was amused at her deflecting, seeing their roles switching. Also, he was right.

"I'm fine, Matt." The moment the words left her lips, she realized it wasn't quite the truth. She was still sore from the fight with Sara – but funnily enough, the yesterday workout helped.

It wasn't the workout and you know it. Emotional state greatly affects the pain tolerance.

Oh shut up, me.

"I'm better," she corrected herself and Matt just nodded in acknowledgement.

Silence fell. Vera didn't like it. They often filled silence with affection, which— not exactly an option now.

He spoke up just when she thought she would break. She couldn't help a relieved sigh. "Quite a set-up Oliver has here."

"Yeah," she hurried, looking around, realizing the tennis balls were still in the wall. She laughed at it shortly, walking to them. "Yeah, he... he was training yesterday, I joined later. He showed me how to shoot a bow."

"And you liked it," Matt stated the obvious. Her fingers traced the collapsed ball, turning her gaze to him. He hadn't taken a step in her direction, but his body followed her voice; her own flame in his world on fire.

"That obvious?"

He chuckled. "Just a little. Is any of those yours?"

Vera burst out laughing. "You didn't mean that did you? I was lucky enough to hit the clout. Though I did hit the middle too."

His smile was soft. "I missed your laugh."

The said laugh died in her throat instantly. She had an idea of what the sentence meant besides what the actual meaning of the words was. And she wanted to respond the same, but she didn't think she could or should.

I missed you too. I missed you too, for all the lonely days I thought were coming. I'm still not sure they won't.

"Matt, I-"

For once, God saved her. And the God had the form of Sara Lance with Felicity Smoak and Oliver Queen in her train.

---

The heroes, either usually wearing a mask or helping from behind a computer, wanted to train. Oliver even brought Matt some clothes. Matt didn't protest and Vera was trying not to snuggle them all in gratitude for the offer and showing up in the first place.

"I'm taking the lady," Sara called out, smiling at Vera conspiratorially.

"And I'm just watching," Felicity hummed, sticking with her dress and heels.

Vera shrugged. Why not?

That was until Sara tossed her billy clubs.

"Not those," she whined silently, earning a wry look from Matt. She rolled her eyes. Touchy. Boys and their toys.

"Yes, those," Sara exclaimed, taking her own. "Show me what's in you, Gaia."

---

Sara was playful and a bit of a show-off, but she had every right. She was... well, killing it; she was member of the League of assassins, after all. For Vera's favour, she took shorter billy clubs than she was used to; not that it made much of a difference. Still – Vera had fun.

"My sister had a thing with Matt in college."

Vera hissed as the stick hit her forearm hard, her shock from the revelation making her drop her guard.

And... really?!

"You're serious?" Vera huffed out, now knowing better than to stop blocking Sara's fastening attacks.

"You lost your focus," Sara noted, amused.

"...can you blame me?"

"No. But you shouldn't let your enemy throw you off like that. So don't blame me when you get hit again."

Smartass. "I won't," Vera reassured her.

Even when fighting, Sara made her eyebrow cockily rise enough to be noticed. Vera fought the urge to roll her eyes. Of course Vera didn't mean she wouldn't get hit again. She was a realist.

"Blame you, that is.... Though he might."

Sara glanced shortly in the direction of the other fighting pair to check with/on Matt. Vera used the opportunity to hit her shin, not bothering to hide her smile. Two could play that game.

Surprise flashed through Sara's face until a rather satisfied smirk appeared.

"Quick study, aren't you?"

---

"Time to switch sparring partners I think," Sara exclaimed rather loudly, having Vera in a metaphorical corner. Sara eased the pressure against Vera's own sticks, stepping away. Vera was honestly grateful, because she already knew the muscles on her arms were about to cry tomorrow.

Except... "What?"

"I get Matt and you get Oliver."

"Don't be ridiculous," Vera laughed nervously, eyeing the man in question. His shirt had a sweaty wedge on his chest and he seemed a bit out of breath, but Vera definitely didn't have the advantage of her being less tired than him. On the other hand, she couldn't deny she was relieved Sara hadn't suggested pairing Vera with Matt. "I can't fight Oliver."

"Of course you can. You did great down there," Roy's voice sounded behind Vera's back and she yelped, jumping ten feet above the mattress. When the hell had he appeared?

"You had to put like twenty arrows in people to stop them from killing me."

"I'm pretty sure it was less than twenty," Roy corrected, grinning at her. Why are men such children? Is every member of the Arrow team cheeky?

"And Oliver won't be trying to kill you," Sara pointed out and Matt shot the blonde a stern look.

"...okay. Fine."

Oliver and Sara stayed on their places, so Vera set the billy clubs down, uttering 'thanks' in Sara's direction, passing Matt as they switched places. She bit her lip and brushed her fingers with his when doing so, because... she didn't know why. But she was sure he smiled at the gesture.

She didn't check.

"So, Matt. how much can you take?" Vera heard Sara's challenging voice and pressed her lips together. This woman was something else.

"You don't need to hold back," Matt answered calmly.

Vera licked her lips as she eyed her new opponent. "Oliver?"

"Hm?"

"Please, do hold back," she whispered and he gave her an amused look.

"I won't try to kill you.... I do have some self-preservation."

Vera wasn't so sure about that, but gradually she found out that Oliver was indeed holding back.

Especially when she ended up on top of him, her elbow carefully resting on his throat. She... won? As in... she beat him? Wow, he really had been holding back, hadn't he?

Three slow claps of hands echoed in the bunker. Vera glanced at the source; it was Sara, of course.

"Nice work. Boys got their asses kicked." Vera shot Matt a puzzled look – he seemed sheepish. Had Sara defeated him? "I say they do one thing we order them. As a thank you for us sparing their lives."

Vera's eyebrows rose as she climbed up from Oliver; their position was hilarious; with Matt, it would be more like intimate and in their current situation also very awkward, but this had been just funny.

"Uhm..."

"I mean..."

"I think you're right," Felicity hummed, playing with her long earrings, looking deeply in thoughts. She glanced at Vera. "Each for the one they beat."

"What does that even mean? Like a task to complete?"

"Exactly. Matt, you're doing the salmon ladder," Sara ordered lightly and Vera tilted her head. What exactly was that?

"Ho-ho, yes!" Felicity chanted, curling her hands into tiny victorious fists. It confused Vera even more.

"...what's a salmon ladder?" Matt asked hesitantly and Vera mentally thanked him for asking the question she didn't know answer to.

"Oh. This." Sara pointed at the— oh. So that's how this thing was called.

"And what's the goal?"

"I'll show you," Oliver huffed out a laugh, apparently highly amused at the women. "There are dents for the bar at certain levels. You grab the bar-"

"Basically do a chin-up," Vera muttered, Matt turning to her curiously. "Don't mind me."

"Basically do a chin-up, but with a flourish at the end."

Matt watched him attentively as Oliver got three levels up.

"This never gets old," Felicity murmured contentedly, "come sit, Vera. The view is best from here."

Vera felt blood rushing up her cheeks, but she went to sit by Felicity. Matt felt the distance between the levels as Oliver returned the bar at the lowest one for Matt's height.

"You're good?"

The corners of Matt's lips quirked. "I wouldn't go that far. I can try."

"Go for it."

And Matt did. He made four simple chin-ups (well, simple for him) as if he was testing his strength. At the last one, he lifted his body higher, surmounting the bar so it was at his hips. Vera gulped, her fingertips tingling almost uncomfortably.

It wasn't fair. The muscles on Matt's arms danced with effort and her mouth went dry all of sudden. The fact his t-shirt was rather wet and stuck to his body without leaving much room for imagination didn't help. She would be lying through her teeth if she said it didn't do things to her.

Vera wasn't the type of person to put out on a first date. Or a second date. Though... which date it had been when they almost fell into bed with Matt...? Never mind. The point was, she wasn't easy. Touch was a big thing for her, sex was as well, she loved it, but she would never do a one-night stand. If there wasn't a person she had feelings for to have sex with, she simply wouldn't have it. Getting intimate with someone for her was a gesture of trust, the next step after feelings. She was all for make-up sex as well, but only after a petty fight, or after coming to a compromise, after clearing the air and settling down.

Despite the arousal that hit her watching Matt now, she wouldn't jump to bed with him on spot, the fight (and flight) was too fresh and raw. But God, she was only human too. And there was a ridiculously attractive man in front of her with a t-shirt sticking to him so tightly that he could as well be naked, perfectly controlling his ripped body. Just right there. She was just a human. She was allowed to be turned on. Right?

Some sort of an understanding flashed through his face as he jumped from the first level to the second; he figured out how to work with it. He handled the first jump; he mastered the rest. Vera forgot how to breathe for several seconds. Christ. How was this man even real?

He jumped down when done, the bar in his hands, smirking. Cocky bastard. "This was fun."

"I think the ladies agree," Oliver laughed and the cockiness in Matt's expression resolved. He lowered his gaze; Vera knew he was examining her.

She bit her lip, slightly ashamed. The way her body reacted was inappropriate given their situation... but in the end, it wasn't like she could help it. His lips curled up in an inconspicuous smile. Vera felt her own doing the same without intending it.

"Alright. Vera, your call. What's Oliver's punishment?" Sara demanded.

Vera thought for only a moment. She knew this was supposed to be playful, but she didn't feel like ordering Oliver around. He had been nothing but kind to her, had taken her in, helped her to get on a road to making peace with Matt, saved Matt's life in the first place and she could never repay him. She licked her lips, smiling.

"Smile."

"What?" Sara and Oliver asked simultaneously, their eyebrows shooting up.

"That's the task. Smile, Oliver. That's all," Vera explained and Sara looked at her as if Vera just grew a second head. Felicity grinned and Roy grinned. And Matt... Matt smiled, the momentarily unfair smile, the I-love-you one; tenderness, awe and happiness.

Oliver seemed bewildered, but obeyed, smiling widely and Vera noticed that when his eyes focused on Felicity, a spark appeared in them. It was beautiful and heart-warming.

"You're no fun," Sara complained, but Vera could see the corners of her mouth twitching in amusement.

Vera shrugged. "You didn't specify— damn, I should have asked him to stop sneaking up on Felicity.... Anyway, who's having the shower first?"

---

It took them a while to take turns in one shower (and Vera so wasn't punk enough to share it with Matt) and by the time they were all done, looking like human beings again, Vera was actually starving, remembering she hadn't had any breakfast – neither had Matt. That would explain a lot.

They decided to have lunch together and it was... surprisingly not awkward. Laurel joined them and she had few stories about 'college Matt' Vera hadn't heard before and Sara had her own. Felicity had enough peculiar experience from the electric store she was currently working at – Vera learnt they were about to get Oliver's company back, not that Vera had known Oliver lost it, though it explained why he was popping up at the bunker in casual clothes at strange times –, Vera added few stories from the café and the conversation flowed easily.

And Vera realized that these people were her friends. Not in the Terri way, not the Anna-Jíťa-Marky's way, not Trish' or Nina's – but definitely friends. The laughter slowly died in her throat, replaced by gentler smile. She caught Roy's gaze, detecting the change in his expression as well; he returned the smile. How did she deserve them again?

It was past three p.m. when they finally left the restaurant. Sara was heading out with Laurel; to Vera's surprise, Sara hugged her goodbye.

"He cares about you," she whispered to Vera's ear and Vera hugged her back despite the tension, understanding. "I don't know the whole story, I suppose he's a bit of a dick-"

"He can hear you," Vera murmured.

"I know. But he cares about you. A lot. He was distracted too."

Vera gulped. Well. If the 'too' wasn't for Matt then Vera didn't know who for. When Sara said Matt had been distracted the same way Vera had, she was also saying Vera cared about Matt a lot as well. Which wasn't exactly new, but it wasn't granted either, not anymore, and Matt would definitely appreciate hearing it. Sara really was a sneaky one.

"Thanks, Sara. It was really nice to meet you."

Sara patted her back lightly. "Likewise. If you're ever fed up with him, my door's open. You are fun."

Vera opened her mouth uselessly, unable to react , which seemed to amuse Sara greatly.

"I-"

"Don't mind my sister, Vera. It was nice to meet you," Laurel came to the rescue, offering her hand to shake, kissing her cheeks afterwards. "Also, she meant my door, she's staying with me, at least for now. Bye."

They left with a wave. Vera was still a little shocked, snapping from it only when they reached the bunker.

They had a petty fight about laundry, Vera insisting to at least pay for the Laundromat or something, Felicity rolling her eyes and sending Vera e-mail with their plane tickets. It shut Vera up quite effectively – she was simply speechless.

Oliver, Roy and Matt seemed highly amused at the exchange. Well, at least someone was having fun.

"There has to be something I can do!" Vera huffed helplessly, searching for support with Oliver. She got none, his hands showing he didn't want to be part of that.

"Take it as an apology for me hacking away your personal information I had no right to hack and revealing some of it to Laurel and others," Felicity offered in a conciliatory manner and Vera thought of it for a minute. Those were two diametrically different things, but she could accept that.

"Okay."

---

There was a lot of hugging. Some whispering, though Vera didn't quite understand why Felicity and Oliver bothered lowering their voices when hugging her, because Matt could hear them anyway; Vera couldn't hear what they told Matt when Oliver gave him very short manly hug and Felicity shook his hand, very quickly wrapping her arms around him too, but he looked slightly paler after, especially after the interaction with the IT girl. Matt only shook hands with Roy, patting his shoulder, but Vera didn't hesitate to hug him as well. There were also lots of thanks. It was a bit ridiculous. But Vera felt tears stinging her eyes when they were leaving the bunker anyway.

---

The airport was busy and all the procedures made it less comfortable than when Vera was coming to Starling, but she couldn't say she really minded. She was nervous about coming back. Back to their (their?) apartment, back to New York, back to work. She had no idea how the return would turn out. They might fix things. They might not and Vera had no idea what she would do in that case.

She swallowed as she seated herself next to Matt – of course she was sitting next to Matt, goddammit Felicity, how.

It was only when the plane started moving, ready to take off, when Vera realized something. They had uttered a word from time to time since there were only two of them again, but this was... a very unpleasant situation for Matt. And Vera had a heart, okay.

"Matt?"

He turned to her, looking almost surprised; he recovered fast, but not fast enough. "Yes?"

She licked her lips nervously. "Do you want me to talk? To... you know, because of your..."

A genuinely grateful smile appeared on his lips, his fingertips brushing hers instead of a thank you. "Yeah. Yeah, I'd like that."

----Notes:
Because I wanted Matt doing the salmon ladder. Oh my. Also, Sara Lance is the queen. No pun intended.

This was the last one with the Arrow team, so I wanted to use their potential. It's a bit longer than expected. Oops. I guess you deserved one after having the short break in posting ;)

In comments, you have references for Oliver/Sara/Felicity doing the salmon ladder.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 41 2
In which Oliver is kind of an egotistical D until he's not, Foggy is a D as well (with a reason though), Diggle is being a father despite not having...
9.1K 226 26
nemesism (n.): frustration, anger, or aggression directed inward toward oneself and one's way of living ~~~~ Spencer Reid has never had it easy. He s...
15.7K 492 30
Mon-El is in danger, Kara needs to save him. They encounter more troubles trying to come back to each other then they plan on but isn't that life for...
97.7K 3.9K 63
Pamela Isley returns to Arkham Asylum after her young-adult daughter (Y/N) refuses to play a part in Poison Ivy's schemes. With the chance to finally...