A Phoenix With No Wings

By nataswan

She was born to be an empress. Beauty like immortal, talented in many aspects and a great politician. She mar... More

Prologue
1
2- A Phoenix Life
3- Unexpected Birthday Wish
4- A Concubine?
5- Are you the emperor?
6 - Lady of Harem
7- Concubine Yu
8- Lunar New Year Festival
9- Secret Admirer
Characters
10-The Court
11- The Emperor was Right
12- Is It a Prince or a Princess
13- Who is She? I've Seen Her Before..
14- Wo de Huang Li Niao
15- Our Second Date pt.1
16- Our Second Date pt.2
17- The Princess was Killed
18- Im a Better Swordsman
1k votes bonus: Crown Prince of Lian
19- Go Out with Me
20- Don't Steal My Kiss
21- Another Chance
22- A Phoenix with No Wings
23-What is Happening?
24- Good Morning Empress
25- What Future?
26- Niao Niao is The Empress
27- If
29- Stop Lying
30- Crown Prince's Visit
Recomendations
31- Under the Moonlight
Announcement
32- Final Decission
33- The Great Emperor
34- That's Love
35- Asking Her Out
36- Horsewashing Date, Empress
37- Horsewashing Date, Emperor
38- Love Book
39- Based On the Book
40- How About Him.
41- For Her
HELP ME
42- Love Her Right
43- A New Start
44- The Return of Consort Hua
45- She is the Villain
46- Happy Ending?
47-Love in Her
48- Who is She to Talk About Love
49- You were Never a Monster
50- I Don't Know
51- See You
52- A Letter
53- Last Chapter

28- The Empress is Niao Niao

11.7K 341 14
By nataswan

"Just because you have always been told to love him, doesn't mean you truly love him. Maybe it's just because you think you have to."

"..."

"Why don't you give me a chance, to make you fall for me?"

"That's impossible.. won't happen."

"So stubborn."

"I don't care!"

"Ugh, not even using honorific to this crown prince?"

Niao Niao only stare at him. That guy, he does not have any idea who am I, she thinks. She crossed her arm and pouts.

"If that's it, I'm going to go." Lian Tian jumps to the closest tree and disappear just like that.

"Eh?" How can he leave without saying anything? Isn't he's the one who is supposed to wait for her? Why is he leaving Niao Niao all alone. And he said that he likes her! Huh!

Niao Niao walks around the harem house. Seeing young maiden talking and playing happily, they are almost as fresh as the spring air. Yet so fragile as cherry blossom flowers. The flowers, they fall at their prettiest. But she will make sure, these girls are not going to suffer, not inside her harem.

Why it must be her? She sees her reflection on the pond, smiling to herself. Is this the right path? Is this really what she wants..

____

"Your majesty, let's change to this robe!" Bai Lu takes the initiative to prepare faster.

"Isn't it's too early? The sun haven't sets.." the emperor peeks out to see outside his window.

"This servant thinks that the empress will be impressed if your majesty come earlier." Bai Lu lead him to walk out of his study and go to the dragon chamber.

"This emperor just met her a few hours ago, I might as well live there if this is the case." The emperor complains but still changing his clothes.

Bai Lu gives him a small box of red ginseng and prepares to send him off.

Seeing Bai Lu doesn't follow him, the emperor asks. "You are not going with me?"

"There's no need for this servant to follow your majesty, it's not a state problem."

Why is the emperor so nervous? What is he so nervous for?

Seeing the emperor's hesitation, Bai Lu smiles. The emperor is so bad at this.

"Your majesty?" Bai Lu calls him.

"Y-yes?" The emperor is startled.

"Let's go.."

"I thought you are not going."

"This servant changes his mind." a little smirk forms on his face.

"Okay."

They walk to the Phoenix Palace, not far from his own. The guards in front of the palace greet the emperor and let him in. By the same time, a young guard runs his life to find Mumu.

"Mumu! The emperor is here!" The guard informs.

"What? At this time?"

The guard only nods.

"You can go now." Mumu holds her head. "Why is the emperor always come when the empress is not here?!" She doesn't know being a maid could be so stressful.

Mumu waits in front of the Phoenix chamber, ready to greet the emperor. Should she lie? No, that would cost her head. But the empress would probably save her right? Mumu is in such a big dilemma, but the emperor already arrived.

"This lowly servant greets your majesty." She kneels, cold sweat streets dripping from her forehead. Her inner self still debating whether should she lie or not.

"Rise. Where is the empress?"

"..." her heart beats rapidly. "H-her majesty is in- her majesty is going out." Mumu closes her eyes when she says that.

"Going out?"

"Y-yes, this servant will inform her about your majesty's visit.." she wants to get out of this conversation quickly.

"It's okay, this emperor will wait."

WHAT? NO! Last time, the empress is not back until the next morning!

"Your majesty, this servant doesn't think it's the best idea.."

"I'll be waiting at the pavilion, inform this emperor when she comes back."

Mumu frowns as she fails to make the emperor leave.

"Yes, your majesty." She bows and leave feeling uneasy.

Spring almost come, cold breezes will turn into beautiful and warmer air. Ice on the pond is now melting, going back to its original form.

"Where could she be?" The emperor who is sitting inside the pavilion wonders.

"..."

"She's too busy, don't you think so?" He feels sorry towards the empress. Usually, an empress is only the head of harem. However, in Zhang Kingdom the empress also holds a very high political position.

"Your majesty, empress dowager' birthday is soon to come." Bai Lu changes the topic.

"Hmm, right. Why are you mentioning it, this emperor has not forgotten."

"There will be a gathering." Bai Lu is too cautious saying that. He peeks at the emperor's expressions before continuing.

"As usual."

"Empress dowager invites all the consorts to come," he peeks again. "Including Comsort Hua."

His expression changes, but he quickly control himself.

"Okay." The emperor exhale his breath, he still couldn't understand that one consort, she killed her own baby, his daughter. "Bai Lu, accompany this emperor to have a stroll."

"Zhi."

_

The empress come back to her palace after a few moments. She walks with no energy out of the harem house. She took a deep breath, still angry at the crown prince. Because he makes her look like she's the one who wants to meet him, like she's such a bother to him.

How could he do this to me?

When she arrived at her own palace, Mumu runs to her, looking all lost and fearful.

"Her majesty! Her majesty!" Mumu is out of breath.

"Control yourself." She still doesn't understand why is Mumu so nervous.

"The emperor, the emperor is here!"

"What? Why don't you tell him to go back?"

"This servant already tried your majesty.. but the emperor-"

"Mumu, we have no time. The emperor can't see me like this. Where is his majesty ?"

"At the pavilion. Let's walk the other way your majesty, follow me."

When she knows the reason, the empress also feels nervous. The empress knows that lying to the emperor means death. They walk quickly to her chamber, still feeling uneasy.

Only after she sees her chamber door the empress feel relieved.

But when she lift her head and her eyes meet his. The emperor's! Her eyes goggle and her knees feels weak.

He only stare at her in silence, making the situation even more uncomfortable. She prays to any god that's listening right now, please please please.

"Niao Niao?"

Oh no.

Bai Lu stares at her, so this is that Niao Niao. The one in the painting. What is she doing here? Hundreds of questions pops up in his head.

On the other hand, the empress stands still. She couldn't move. Should she act as Niao Niao now?

"Y-your majesty.." she says, facing the ground. Mumu who hear her also stare at her weird behaviour. Right, Mumu doesn't know about Niao Niao.

"Follow me." The emperor instructs and the empress unwillingly go to him.

What will happen? What could happen? Will she be killed for lying to the Emperor?

When the pair leave them, Mumu and Bai Lu seems like they are competing in a starring contest. They don't understand a thing.

Bai Lu starts to speculate in his head. No, no, the empress must not want to hurt that concubine right? She's not that kind of person.. but why is she here, is it because the empress knows that the emperor is close with that concubine and call her to the Phoenix Palace? His question remains unanswered.

As for Mumu, she only wishes her madam will be okay.

The empress follows the emperor walking to the pavilion. That short walk feels like a thousand years, she's so nervous. But it seems like the emperor still haven't figure out that she is the empress, maybe she just need to act as Niao Niao and slide with it.

The emperor is in dilemma, he knows from the start that Niao Niao is the empress but it's too dangerous to admit it. Should he just tell her that he knew? But there's so many questions, why is she going to the harem house at this time, what is her motive from the start,why does she need to be someone else? The emperor stops.

"Your majesty, what a nice day today!" The empress comments happily.

So she wants to play as Niao Niao.

Hello! What a nice day today!

Please follow me if you'd like! It will help a lot! And don't forget to vote comment and share this story to your friends!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

337 3 8
(UPDATES INTERMITTENTLY) A regular guy gets reincarnated into a palace intrigue novel that he's been reading as a background character. Yes, you've...
The Empress Wears Gucci By f

Historical Fiction

256K 10.5K 95
*2nd editing* If you like historical, harem affair dramas, and the underdog rising to regality, you will like this book! After Carmen Han gets into...
Rise of an Empress By ROAE

Historical Fiction

146K 5.8K 52
It's a story of a mighty emperor, who rules the land upto horizon... A story of an innocent lady from a noble family who gets involved in a political...
1.7K 302 41
"There are enough bad things in life, hold on to whatever it is that gives you joy." In the months after Ye An had ascended to the throne, she has le...