Bed of Roses [N. Romanoff]

By TanaMatt

[I wanna lay you down in a bed of roses, For tonight I'll sleep on a bed of nails. Oh, I wanna be just as clo... More

Disclaimer
Part 1: Bed of Roses
Just The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Ending of Part 1
Part 2: Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 2.6
Chapter 2.7
Chapter 2.8
Chapter 2.9
Chapter 2.10
Chapter 2.11
Chapter 2.12
Chapter 2.13
Chapter 2.14
Chapter 2.15
Chapter 2.16
Chapter 2.17
Chapter 2.18
Chapter 2.19
Chapter 2.20
The End of Part 2
Bed of Roses 100k Gift
BOR II

Chapter 18

7.2K 222 88
By TanaMatt

"Took the words right out of my mouth, hmm, it must've been when you were kissing me," Bailey hummed the tune, trying not to laugh as the Avengers forced to listen to her all rolled their eyes.

It wasn't the first time the woman hummed during a fight or conversation, and although they'd never admit to it, the humming calmed them down. As long as she didn't start singing, they would never complain.

Bailey made a heavy landing on the frosted ground next to Pietro as he sped out a building.

The blur slowed down next to her, giving her a wink before speeding up again and combat fighting the Ultron's around the city centre.

"Nice of you to join us, yes?" he cheekily taunted.

He smacked a head off a robot, and came up next to her, holding as strings of wires and not leaving a single machine standing for now.

"Would've came sooner, but up till now you were looking fine," Bailey replied in the same mannerism tone.

She shot three lasers at the chest of another robot, hitting his power source on target.

Screams caught both of their attention, and they looked over to see where Steve Rogers was trying to hold a car at the edge of a bridge and trying to prevent it from falling.

"He needs a person who can fly," Pietro so wisely pointed out.

"Your powers help you come up with that so quickly?" Bax rolled her eyes and shot into the sky.

She came up above the red convertible, hovering in front of the face of a terrified female Adult.

"It's okay, we've got you!" Bailey shouted a little too early, as the bumper broke off the car, and stayed in Steve's hand.

He heart skipped a beat as she watched the convertible slip off the side of the cliff, slowly and then all at once. It tumbled through the air, picking up speed the closer it got to the ground. It was a quick thought, but Bailey hadn't had much experience in catching falling cars. She dove down to grab at the person, trying to get a hold of her seat or anything really. Her hand grabbed at the woman's jacket, yanking her right out of her seat belt and into Bailey's arms.

Within a split second, her body was faced back up and they were travelling through the air to reach the floating rock instead of touching down to the ground where rubble was still falling and threatening lives of the civilians at the bottom.

Cap had climbed onto the side of the flying city ground, hanging onto a pipe at he stretched out his hand in order for Bailey to be able to hand the woman over to him. Thankfully Steve knew that Bax wasn't as strong as she was supposed to be, and couldn't hold people in her arms for too long.

"I got you! Just look at me!"

He called out the woman the same time Bailey dove down to catch the green car that flew right past her ear. She dropped further and landed on the bonnet, with a hit she smashed the glass in order to grab at the Father and Son sitting in the front seats.

"You can't save them all," the haunting robot voice called back out again.

The simple words ignited a fire of anger inside her, determination brimming her eyes as she thought of the challenge the Metal Man was throwing at her. She let out grunts of screams as she carried their weights into the air, back up towards the 'meteor'.

She landed besides Steve, glaring at the robot that tried to discourage them, the men fell out her arms and got dropped to the ground.

"You'll never-"

And she clicked her neck and fingers once more. She sent a punch at the robots face, and threw him over her shoulder. While it was in mid-air, Steve sent his shield at him, and then magnetically summoned the shield back. The robot got knocked off the side, boosters damaged from the impact of the shield.

"You'll never what?" Steve shouted as the figure fell down through the clouds.

"You didn't finish!" Bailey taunted as well, sending a high five at Steve's upheld hand.

"You're getting better at that," she complimented, pointing a figure to the shield on his arms as she tried to catch her dried out breath.

"Thanks, it's all about the timing," he swung his shield a bit, "You've improved with the whole... carrying people around trick."

"Well, everything seems easier than flying you around, Cap," she smacked his chest, walking away from the cliff edge and back into the city, "Try lay off the Burgers."

He shook his head at the younger Avenger, and jogged forward to catch up with her at the stairs made from rubble of torn apart ground.

Bailey slid over a car bonnet, and sent a kick at the robot's face. Bax had to turn around faster than what she was, as the team was getting more surrounded than comfortable. Lasers flew from her gun, and she continued to phase between the punches and beams the minions were sending at her.

It was like they were fighting someone who wasn't even there anymore.

"Aright, we're all clear here," Barton called out to them, signalling that his side of the city no longer was filled.

"We are not clear!" Steve shouted.

"We are very not clear!" Bailey raised her voice, once again adding to the Captains statement that day.

She dodged his shield, and watched it hit a couple robots before making its way to her. She jumped up in a kick flip, and landed her foot perfectly on the side of the shield in order for it to ricochet back at the robots to her left.

"Right, coming to ya," Clint sighed back. Bailey told him to stretch before they landed.

"Keep up, old man," the speedster spoke into the earpieces himself.

Bailey chuckled at the bicker going on in her background noise, focusing her right eye to aim the laser gun in her hand at the foreheads of those who invaded her personal space bubble. A circled on her goggles lens followed the figures, guiding her where to turn and the perfect spots to shoot her lasers at.

"Nobody would know... nobody... 'The last I saw him an Ultron was sitting on him. Yeah, he'll be missed, that quick little bastard. I miss him already'," Clint practised what he would say, obviously planning Pietro's death in his mind.

"Mic's still on," Bax reminded him, laughing as he cursed.

She whipped her head back around, aiming at new targets that were creeping up on Steve.

One after the other, a burning hole embedded itself into their bodies of metal. He was growing in confidence, and definitely felt prouder of her performance the more the crowd of robots decreased in size.

"Romanoff!" Steve shouted, causing Bailey's interests to perk and see what he was warning her about.

Bax just watched the shield embed into the neck of a robot sneaking up on Nat, slicing the head off.

"Thanks!" she sweetly shouted back, jabbing her batons into more Ultron's' around her.

One flew right up to her, firing shots. Bax made the quick decision to phase trough the metal clunks around her, confusing them for a moment or two, and she sped towards the woman who was showing no struggle during her fight, but Bailey felt the need to help her for some reason. Was this what needing someone in your life did to you? She became so protective over the Red-head in mere days.

She spun around, grabbing the shield and covering both their bodies with it. The shots rebounded off, and Bax stuck out her head in order to shoot a laser right into the power source on its chest. The meatal chunk fell to the ground, and Bailey sighed out a nervous breath.

"I thought I told you not to go out and die?" Bailey sarcastically told Nat.

"I've got it," she replied, "Don't worry about me. Worry about them," she nodded her head in the direction of Sokovians who had taken the brunt of a few hits and explosions.

Another Ultron came up behind her, and Nat slipped the shield out of her hand. She tried slamming it into its jaw, hitting up and back down on its head and sending it crumbling to the ground. Another creeped up, and she back-spun her foot into it with a kick, then stabbed her electric baton into the third Ultron. One was left standing meters away, so she then threw the shield up, and Steve jumped to catch it and bring it back down on the shoulders of the metal minion. They all three turned to look at one another, grateful for each other being there.

"Yeah, you've got this," Bax gulped, mesmerised by the immensity of action the woman she admired just endured.

"Go!" Nat shouted, turning back into the fight and pushing her towards the group of Sokovians.

Bailey ran up to them, holding a few of them up that could walk and lead them into a nearby building. After making sure they were all comfortable safety sitting away from any cracking walls or caving roofs, she ran back out to find more of them. Groups were split up all over the city, covering from the fire of bullets or laser beams shooting out from every inch of Sokovia.

She phased between a rolled car, coming up to a family crouching behind it with muffled screams. She shushed the youngest, and picked her up as easily as you would with a bag of flour. The tiny girl wrapped her arms around her, and she held on tightly as she gripped on the clothes of the siblings around her, pushing them forwards as soon as fires ceased.

The stop-start game was the only one she played until it was cleared all around her, everybody safely gathered in the building with firm and strong structures. She had to keep an eye on them now, a large group would surely bring the attention of one of the robots soon.

"I'm definitely napping when we get back," Bailey complained, and helped a few people step over rubble in order to get into the building lobby.

Captain America ran up behind her, ushering more adults into the building, feeling like he was back at the war and saving civilians from the Nazi's attacking. All his fights felt this oddly familiar with his past, something he couldn't shake, but was grateful he saved as many as he did.

"The next wave is gonna hit any minute," Steve contradicted, warning her, "What do you got, Stark?" he asked out onto the comms.

"Huh? Nothing great," Tony replied, doubting himself.

"Not great could just be something good, Metal-brain," Bailey chastised him.

"Maybe a way to blow up the city..." Tony elaborated. "That'll keep it from impacting the surface, if you guys can get clear."

"Are you mental? He's absolutely mental!" Bailey flailed her arms, looking at Steve as if he had to talk Tony out of it.

"I asked for a solution, not an escape plan," Get at him, Steve.

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second. We're gonna have to make a choice."

Bailey tried not to scream in frustration, she wasn't about to let her team risk themselves to save a couple hundred people. This team was now her life, a family she never intended to make but was forever grateful that she did. Not a single one of them was about to be left on this floating rock, even if she has to fly them down herself.

"Cap, these people are going nowhere. If Stark finds a way to blow up this rock..." Nat argues at Tony's point.

"Not till everyone's off and safe, and we don't have a plan for that yet," Steve replied, always doing the better thing.

"On the contrary, I'm just one person, but I can try my best to get them down there," Bailey butted in, nodding her head to the edge of their City Rock.

"I'm not leaving this rock with one civilian on it," He pointedly looked at her.

"She's not saying we should leave," both Bax and Steve looked over to the assassin, "Where else am I gonna get a view like this?"

Bailey was about to argue back, ready with her hand in the air to wave back and forth to further stretch her argument. She told Nat that none of them were going down to a grave today, she was going to keep that promise every fight they have. This isn't the first and won't be the last, so help her.

"There's worse ways to go," Nat shrugged to Steve, and looked to Bailey with a loving shine in her eyes. For Nat, she had achieved everything she could ever want in her life. Friends, a make-shift family, somebody to love... of course she wasn't prepared to leave that behind, but she was prepared to die for them to live.

"Don't speak like that," Bax pointed her eyes back, and allowed Nat to take a-hold of her hands that swung limply at her side.

There was a crackle at their ears, someone hacking into their earcomms and joining in the conversation, "Glad you like the view, Romanoff. It's about to get better."

Nat's eyes widened as the scene folded in front of her, Bailey slipped her hand out of her grasp and took a step forward with her mouth hanging open.

An entire helicarrier rose up above the clouds, coming into full view just about the rock, and floating in sync with it. The ground shook from the wind that was being sent by all four fans keeping the vehicle dock in the air, and Bailey let out a happy laugh as she flicked her waving hair out of her face.

Pietro appeared next to her, having run from wherever he was to get a better look at whatever was flying to near to them and the city.

"Nice, right? Pulled her out of mothballs with a couple of old friends. She's dusty, but... she'll do," Fury laughed at the gobsmacked looks on both Bailey's and Pietro's faces, two of the only Avengers (that were watching) to have never seen the helicarriers before but only hear of it.

"Fury, you son of a bitch," if it were possible, Bax's eyes widened even further, and her head whipped around to take a look at Steve, not believing her own ears.

"Ooh! You kiss your mother with that mouth?"

The side doors to the helicarrier slowly opened, revealing lifeboats that could fly down to their rock in order for the Avengers to fill up with people from Sokovia.

"This is S.H.I.E.L.D?" Pietro asked form next to her.

"This is what S.H.I.E.L.D is supposed to be," Steve answered, Nat and Bailey looking at him with pleased and proud smiles.

Pietro chuckled, "This is not so bad." Bailey laughed at him, patting his shoulder in agreement.

A lifeboat touched down on the road right before the group, opening up and ready to be loaded. Bailey let out a whoop in cheer, and immediately jumped into the air in order to go and fetch as many civilians as she possibly could carry.

"Let's load them up," Steve ordered a second after Bax had flew off, the woman was ready to do the job she came here to do.

It was easy ushering groups out at a time, getting them there safely was another mission on its own. There was a lot of covering up the group of Sokovians as they crossed a street, like a playing a deadly role of a crossing guard.

"There's an Ultron on number 9!" Nat shouted in the comms, trying to warn either Bailey or Tony (who could both fly) to go out and help.

Bailey looked up to the helicarriers, noticing the single silver dot that was making its way over to one of the floating lifeboats that were trying to dock back into the helicarriers and offload the passengers. It shot out a bullet, two, then the third, and the left wing lit up in a fire as the boat itself started tipping to the side in the air.

"You need some help there?" she mocked Fury, and dropped a mother and son down at a life boat.

As soon as they had left her, she shot into the sky in order to go and help S.H.I.E.L.D get rid of their 'bogies'.

"Show 'em what we've got," Fury commented.

Next thing Bailey knew, War Machine was in the air next to her, shooting at their separate targets and firing them out of the sky.

"Yes!" he shouted as he flew into one, causing an explosion. Bailey covered her head with her arms, and then continued flying about and shooting at the robots trying to break into the helicarriers.

"Now this is gonna be a good story," Rhodey excitedly added, looking at Bailey as if wanting her to agree.

One of the Ultron's tried to shoot at him, but luckily Bailey had been there to shoot back, and Tony pushed Rhodey out of the way with a sonic boost.

"Yup. If you live to tell it," Tony teased, and all three of them lined up in the sky.

"Glad to actually see you're doing something, Stark. Figure out a safer way to get this rock down," Bailey mumbled.

"I'm working on it," he grumbled back, using his hand thrusters to reach an eye-level with Bailey in the sky.

"You don't think I can hold my own?" James asked him, referring to how he had been pushed out of the way earlier on and changing the topic of short conversation.

"If we get through this, I'll hold your own," Tony replied.

"You just had to make it weird," Rhodey shook his head, and boosted himself away from Tony.

Bax's goggles narrowed down a few targets, showing her the perfect places to shoot in order to disable their whole bodies, and shooting while flying is a lot harder than what it looks. Bailey believed she was doing a better job than Tony was, at least.

Below her every single one of the Avengers were helping people into lifeboats, not leaving a single soul behind. They brought them in by the 100's, filling them all to the brim. Bailey flew passed a few lifeboats that were making their way through the sky and back to the docks they had dislodged from.

She smiled, feeling confident for the first time in this battle since she was kissed by Nat.

A scream drew her from the thoughts as she watched the lifeboat fall a little in the air, a second wing being blown off and falling from the sky. Without a second glance, she pushed her body forward and caught the descending, left-hand side of the lifeboat filled with a good fifty people on board.

She raised her hands higher above her head with a grunt, pushing with more strength than anyone would imagine her having, and balanced the bot out in the air. Her arms were violently shaking, and her head started getting dizzy, but she never faltered or dropped.

"I got it, create a heat seal. I could... I could supercharge the spire from below!" Tony came up with a plan to destroy the rock to keep it from killing the billions of people under it if it were to fall.

"Thor, I got a plan," Tony shouted out, he and Rhodey still shooting at robots, sending the metal debris down to the Earth below.

"Can someone make a plan to help me?" Bax shouted back, grunting and slowly losing her strength.

"We're running out of time," Thor replied to Tony, "They're coming for the core."

Something got shot at Bailey, and it took a lot out of her to not scream and duck out the way as well as drop the lifeboat. Thankfully it missed her, unthankfully it landed on the boat.

"Oh god, oh god, oh god," she whispered, not knowing what to do.

It then lit up in a blaze, the object resembled one of Tony's hand thrusters, a mini arc reactor, which she definitely thought it was as it helped lift the boat back into the air. The weight became lighter, and she slowly took her hands away from the bottom of the lifeboat, floating backwards as she watched a simple piece of metal fold out into a full blown booster to hold a loaded aircraft up in the sky.

She turned to face Stark, watching him come to a stop right in front of her.

"Bax, Rhodey, you help get the rest of the people onto that helicarrier," he pointed a hand out to the flying ship above them.

"On it," Rhodey replied for them.

"Avengers, time to work for a living," Bailey sighed out to them, and shot back to the ground in order to get more people loaded into the lifeboats.

This included her team of Avengers, those that couldn't fly to the ground or at least survive the fall, explosion, and impact of the water growing further below them. She would make a plan to bring each and every one of the back to safety. She was making sure they all walked away from this.

"You got the words out just before me," Tony argued.

"Next time be quicker," she teased, landing on the ground a few feet from a large group of people.

"Come on! Let's go, get in!" she shouted, ushering them in, and pulling a kid from the rubble that had landed on his leg.

"You okay? Of course you're okay, you're stronger than all us superheroes combined," she ruffled his hair, earning a smile from the little boy.

He grinned up at her, wiping a muddy hand at his tear stained cheek and forcing his hic-up's and cries to fade away. If a superhero could tell him he was okay, then surely he was, right?

"Do me a favour," she leaned in and whispered, "Look after all of them, they need you right now. Okay?" she asked, and pointed to the rest of the people with him that were going to be transported.

He nodded his head in reassurance, and even puffed out his little chest a bit to prove authority. Now he was special, he was the man in charge and completely accepted the responsibility of looking out for those around him.

"Thanks," she winked at him, and jumped back into the air to search for more people.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 358 21
Book 1 // Tony had always thought his sister died in the car accident with his parents. That wasn't the case. Years later she's found in Sokovia, tes...
6.4K 308 41
Working for a relief foundation, traveling the world and helping those in need, it was exactly what Penny wanted to do. She wanted to be someone, tha...
97.5K 1.9K 35
"One of the few things I learned in my life was that death always comes. Senescence, illness or... murder, death is always the end every single one o...
Unspoken By Marie

Fanfiction

37.8K 1.2K 45
When new intel comes through about a Hydra weapon, the avengers split into two teams, one checking out a new base, while the other scours an old one...