Bed of Roses [N. Romanoff]

By TanaMatt

[I wanna lay you down in a bed of roses, For tonight I'll sleep on a bed of nails. Oh, I wanna be just as clo... More

Disclaimer
Part 1: Bed of Roses
Just The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Ending of Part 1
Part 2: Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 2.6
Chapter 2.7
Chapter 2.8
Chapter 2.9
Chapter 2.10
Chapter 2.11
Chapter 2.12
Chapter 2.13
Chapter 2.14
Chapter 2.15
Chapter 2.16
Chapter 2.17
Chapter 2.18
Chapter 2.19
Chapter 2.20
The End of Part 2
Bed of Roses 100k Gift
BOR II

Chapter 4

11.6K 357 105
By TanaMatt

Bailey Baxter watched as a building slowly came into view in front of her.

It looked too old to be of government property, and too big to be any normal house in the woods. She tried looking over her shoulder to see if anybody else was doing anything, or how they were going to start this. She was sure they agreed on a quiet attack, using the element of surprise.

That was until a blue beam shot right at her, and at the last minute she rolled in the air.

That gave her enough convincing to go down closer to the ground, and closer to her fellow Avengers.

She came down near the Jeep Natasha was driving, and Tony flew right next to her.

"You okay, kid?" he asked, and shot at a tree he was going to fly into.

"I'm 30!" she defended.

"Sure you are," he teased.

Bax then pushed him out the way, as a bunker on wheels appeared behind them and shot another one of those blue beams of hot energy. Soldiers rounded the woods, and stood their guard. They all tried their best to shoot at the group of heroes making their way towards the base.

That wasn't all, because as Bax pulled out a handgun from her belt, a figure tackled her out of the sky.

These soldiers had a jet pack of sorts, and a few of them had gone after the flying Figures of herself and Tony. Bax sent an elbow into his face, and watched as he fell towards the ground. She then had to catch her breath quickly, and convinced herself to just start shooting at anybody who shot at her.

She watched as a group of the Hydra soldiers started climbing the moving jeep, and flew down to Hawkeye's side. She swiftly landed on the back, and started sending kicks and punches at anybody who got too close to the man that preferred a far range target.

She sent a foot into the face of someone trying to climb up the side of the car, but missed as she got distracted as she watched the Hulk tear a man from his legs right next to them.

The person she was trying to fight then grabbed her leg and tried to pull himself up, but Bailey changed her phase state, and watched as his hand went straight through and he fell under the wheel.

"That's gotta hurt in the morning," she commented, but then got thrown to the other side of the car as Nat did a wide turn.

The Jeep then tipped and Bailey threw herself back into the air of the fight.

She felt so much confidence and pride as she watched all the Avengers fall into line next to her in the sky, and it seemed as the world began to move in slow motion.

She tucked her body into a bullet position, and landed a fist in the face of a ground soldier.

She laughed, and flew after Tony as she watched him go ahead of the fight. He seemed to be going straight for the building, obviously trying to break in through a window. Bax then watched him hit the side of the building, and a Blue Shield around the building lit up in protection.

That was the only warning she needed to come to her senses, and change direction just before she landed the same fate as the Iron Man.

"Shit!" he cursed out from pain.

"language!" Steve reprimanded over the ear Comms they were all wearing, "Jarvis, what's the view from upstairs?"

Tony's A.I. then gave an explanation about the energy shield that Bailey just couldn't pay attention to, as she was a little preoccupied by the men threatening her life.

"Loki's sceptre must be here," Thor then joined the conversation of the boys.

"Well why else would they have this place so heavily guarded?" Bax grunt and refrained from a 'no shit Sherlock' comment.

"What I meant, Strucker couldn't mount this defence without it."

"Or that too, you know."

"At long last," was the next comment Thor had.

Bax knocked out the last person near and then darted her eyes around in search of another target. She noticed Nat being ganged up by a few, and flew over to her side of the hill to help.

Bailey stood at Nat's back, and threw punches as the assassin preformed a perfect thigh grip, and shot a man in the shoulder.

"'at long last' is lasting a little long, boys," Nat commented, and shot three bullets into the person next to us.

"I'm always happy to not be at the brunt of her complaints," Bax joked about Nat forgetting to add her in, and swung her leg to kick the last man in the side of the head.

Nat rolled her eyes, but gave The Eidolon a thumbs up for the help. She then ran off to find some more trouble.

How was she not freezing right now? Bailey let a shiver run down her spine from the cold air blowing through her suit. That's one design flaw they had.

She continued to ignore the numbness growing in her finger tips, and went on with the mission at hand. She got tackled at the side as soon as she jumped from the ground, the purple flying suits were back for more.

She pushed the Jetpack Soldier off her and watched as three of them tried to tailgate her. She quickly formatted a plan, and sped off above the trees towards their centre building. Just before she could get in contact with it though. She curved upwards and watched as the three men flew right into their own energy shield.

Do to the impact of the bodies colliding with the energy, a clap of noise travelled across the forest.

"Yeah. I think we lost the element of surprise," Clint mocked her plan, and of course the noise she made.

"I'd like to see you do better, Clinton."

"Wait a second. No one else is gonna deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language'?" Bailey could never feel more grateful for the man changing the subject.

"I know..." Cap replied, and after a few seconds defended himself with: "Just slipped out."

"Was that the iron legion?" Bailey shouted, a project had just been sent out that wasn't even perfected yet. She watched the army fly above them and into the City.

"City's getting fire that they didn't sign up for," tony defended his own actions now.

"I hope you know what you're doing Rocket Ship..."

Bailey didn't have that much time on her hand to dish out her doubt for the man, as another round of soldiers appeared from the basement of their base. Without a second thought, she flew straight to them.

This was the most amount of men she had ever taken on in her life, and maybe that's what drew her to the desire to use her powers more so than usual. She phased as they threw punches or shot at her, and in return shot her own Stark designed laser gun at them.

She was running out of energy in her system, growing more and more tired with each phase change she took. They noticed this, and hit faster and harder.

Bailey couldn't count the fists being launched at her face, but she could count the bullets she had left in her handgun. Instead of channelling her energy to use her laser gun, or to phase and fly, she shot three bullets consecutively.

The first went through a man's shoulder, and hit the one behind him in the neck.

The second bullet embodied itself in the thighs of three men.

And the last hit its target square in the chest.

All six men fell to the floor in pain.

She was caught so off guard in triumph, that she cursed herself for not expecting more. A blue haze of light ran right past her, and she turned her head to watch where it went.

The person was going in Clint's direction. But how were they so fast?

It then clicked in her head, Banner had been speaking about how Strucker was manipulating the energy he had collected from the sceptre to enhance humans. This blur had been someone whose DNA had been enhanced to make them faster.

She knew her mistake as soon as Barton's groan filled her ears, as well as Nat shouting 'Clint!'

Bailey watched as Nat ran over to the injured man who had been hit by one of the Bunker beams. She debated following, but when the bunker sent a shot her way she decided to dive behind a tree stump instead.

"We have an enhanced on the field," Steve informed the others with a surprised tone. He too must have not expected the experiments to have taken place so quickly, never mind actually working.

"Clint's hit!" Nat worried for her best friend. "Somebody wanna deal with that bunker?"

Bax tried to look past the tree to see what was happening, and check if she was safe or not. Another beam got hot her way, and she immediately retreated back to her stiff position with her back against the trunk.

"Please!" Bailey shrieked as a beam grazed the side of her shoulder, leaving a nasty burn and a hole in her new suit. "Next time, I want something warmer and with shoulder pads..."

The Hulk then came roaring, and threw himself into the Bunker, leaving it in shambled pieces and unconscious men fell to the ground.

"Thank you," Both she and Nat replied at the same time, with the same sweet tone laced in their voices.

"Stark, we really need to get inside," Cap started stressing about the amount of progress they had barely made.

"I'm closing in," that allowed Bax to release a sigh of relief, and gave her enough strength and confidence to push herself up.

She held her left hand to her shoulder to prevent bleeding, and still looked around to see where she could help out.

Her gaze landed on the one and only Captain America.

"Jarvis, am I closing in? Do you see a power source for that shield? Great. I wanna poke it with something."

Bailey kicked off the ground, and landed right next to the captain as he flipped his into Hydra's face, leaving him unconscious.

"Drawbridge is down people."

Steve's magnet on his arm brace summoned his shield back to him, and he looked over to Bailey. She gave a small shrug, and then the pair made a small jog to where Thor had just landed on the ground a few feet away from them.

"The enhanced?" Thor asked, he looked unfazed and unaffected by all the exercise he had just done. This made Bailey slightly bitter, slightly.

"He's a blur," she responded for Steve.

"All the new players we've faced, I've never seen this. In fact, still haven't," Captain Rogers looked too stressed for his trademark.

"Clint's hit pretty bad guys. Were gonna need Evac," Nat then spoke over their earpieces.

That's when Steve's eyes locked with Bailey's injury, "Bax is hit too, and doesn't look good."

"What?" Nat shouted, angry for not being informed sooner.

Steve tried moving her around to asses her injury, but she winced and gave a cry from pain.

"I'm fine," she lied.

"I can get them to the jet," Thor offered, "The sooner were gone the better."

They all looked over to a tank that was slowly making its way up the hill, towards them.

"You and Stark secure the sceptre," he looked at Steve.

"Copy that."

"No wait! I wanna heeeelp," she wined like a 7-year-old.

"No," Steve replied.

"Come on, I do a mean sneak attack," she joked.

"Looks like they're lining up," Thor then pointed their attention to the tank and soldiers running in formation, merely a few feet from them.

"Well. They're excited," Steve then lifted his shield for Thor to nock his hammer down onto.

This sent a huge gust of wind, and Bailey had to raise her arm above her head to shelter herself, and she slowly got pushed back. This sent a searing pain through her shoulder from the quick movement, and she fell down on her knees, and into the snow.

Thor gave a frown, and lifted her up, "find the sceptre," he ordered Steve, before wrapping an arm around the small woman's waist, and swinging his hammer to lift them up.

"And for gosh sake, watch your language!"

It was always good to hear Tony's voice.

"That's not going away anytime soon," Steve sighed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Falling By Marie

Fanfiction

7.3K 224 40
Emma Winifred Barnes... A name now known throught the world, as Miss Liberty, fighting alongside her best friend, Steve Rogers, Captain America. She...
97.8K 1.7K 61
• CURRENTLY EDITING THIS STORY TO MAKE IT A BIT BETTER IG • ~ Follow our favourite Russian spy's story on how she decided to make a huge decision tha...
97.5K 1.9K 35
"One of the few things I learned in my life was that death always comes. Senescence, illness or... murder, death is always the end every single one o...
Unspoken By Marie

Fanfiction

37.8K 1.2K 45
When new intel comes through about a Hydra weapon, the avengers split into two teams, one checking out a new base, while the other scours an old one...