Ready to Suffer, Ready to Hop...

By Anika_Ann_M

How to deal with your fiancée almost getting voluntarily buried alive under a building together with his basi... More

Author's notes
1) The great escape
2) The therapist
3) Heartbeat
4) Not so secret lair
Bonus: The double-F team-up
5) Ain't how you hit the mat
7) The vigilante bro code
8) Nothing else we can do (I may still have faith in you)
9) A step to nowhere
10) Friends like these
11) The start of something
Bonus: A way to break through
Sequel - book four

6) What I didn't need to know

569 22 3
By Anika_Ann_M

Laurel's POV with a switch to Felicity's. Balancing all the testosterone around. 

---

Her day was crazy. She hadn't taken a moment to breathe in properly since morning, a half-drank mug of cold coffee somewhere between the stock of papers – weren't they living in the digital age? – her phone ringing off the hook. She couldn't resist and banged her forehead against one of the pile, when the phone rang again and no one was around.

Had everyone gone completely insane? At least this time it was her phone. She didn't even check the ID.

"Laurel Lance speaking."

"Hey, sis. Something tells me you need a hero to take you to lunch," Sara's cheerful voice sounded from the other end of the line and Laurel smiled automatically. Despite all the shit her sister had been through... she could have warmth and joy in her voice when it came to people she cared for.

Laurel didn't know why Sara had come back yesterday just yet, but she was grateful. Maybe she would learn today, since there would be no more surprises like a stranger at Oliver's secret base. Her smile faltered slightly as she remembered the girl – looking at her when the team left, she seemed exhausted, not just physically. Laurel hadn't learnt many details, but Felicity had mentioned calling off an engagement with her vigilante boyfriend and him almost dying. That was rough. The fact she had been attacked somewhere where she was supposed to be save probably hadn't helped.

"Laurel?"

"Sorry, sorry. Yes. I'm zoning out, I'm no good here anyway."

"Waiting outside," Sara announced and Laurel rolled her eyes, grinning.

"Of course you are."

They walked – Laurel needed to stretch her legs a little and she needed as long lunch break as possible, because otherwise she would go crazy in work. And ever since they had somehow solved out the awkward and painful love triangle, spending time with Sara was the bright part of her life.

Laurel was just complaining about the jerk who was calling her today just to keep pranking her – because that was what she had time for, right – when she saw the man. He was standing in front of the bakery across the street, pulling out a phone from the pocket of his coat. There was no reason for that catching her attention, unless she was an ableist; he was holding a long white cane, his eyes hidden behind round red glasses, which probably meant he was blind. But he looked familiar.

Laurel didn't like secrets and mysteries, she hated the feeling of having something on the tip of her tongue, unable to grasp it. She stopped dead in her tracks, shamelessly staring. Where did she know him from? She really hated being an ableist, but the fact he was blind was the only significant feature she was sure of. Blind, blind, blind...

"Laur-"

"Oh," Laurel let out, shocked. She did know him. From her time at Columbia University, where she had spent two months thanks to her exchange scholarship. She would never expect him to meet him here of all places. "Matt?"

She would swear the man winced as she said his name, Sara following her gaze. "Laurel? You okay?"

There was no way she was letting him flee. She grabbed Sara's hand, fighting her way through to him. He was still on the phone, not talking, only frowning – whatever the other person was saying, he didn't like it. The closer she was getting to him, the more sure she was. Yes, this was the very man she had met during her time at Columbia. The charming man she had had a crush on for like a month. And then they had kissed and she had been head over heels. First guy after Oliver – well, after Tommy – that actually enchanted her. It hadn't lasted – but it was what helped her to move on.

"Excuse me," Laurel approached him, unsure if she should touch him to let him know she meant him. He tilted his head, his hand with the phone retreating from his ear.

"Are you talking to me?" he asked unsurely.

Laurel smiled widely. Yep, she knew that voice. The crack in it was unfamiliar, he sounded a little on the edge, but yes.

"You wouldn't happen to be Matt Murdock? Studied law at Columbia University?"

He shoved the phone back to his pocket, face focused. "Laurel? Laurel Lance?"

"That would be me. Fancy meeting you here, Mr. Murdock," she exclaimed, lightly resting her hand on his forearm.

Small smile spread on his lips. It was an inconspicuous thing, maybe even sad, but it was there. His features were worn out. She remembered he had used to smile a lot – he had a very cute smile, the kind of smile that lighted up the room – especially when his friend had been around. What was his name? She was sure it was something ridiculous, but she couldn't put her finger on it. Again. She really was working too much. Dammit, Laurel.

His hand covered hers. "Always 'Matt', Ms. Lance. Until I'm grey," he reassured her, corners of his lips rising a little higher.

"Well, that's firstly very hypocritical, since you're calling me my last name, and secondly, maybe you already are and no one dared to tell you," she teased and Sara cleared her throat. Laurel shot her a look, noticing her eyebrow was up in silent question, lips pressed together as if she was trying not to laugh.

"Is there someone with you who feels neglected?" he wondered smoothly and Laurel laughed. He might not be smiling now, but some things apparently didn't change.

"Yes. I'm Sara Lance, Laurel's sister."

His eyebrows furrowed. "Uhm-"

"Yeah, she's my sister. Miracles happen, apparently." He looked like he mouthed I hope so, but she couldn't be sure. "Sara, this is Matt Murdock, a brilliant mind I met during my exchange scholarship at Columbia University. Matt, this is my sister, Sara."

Matt let go of Laurel's hand in favour to shake it with Sara. "Nice to meet you, Sara."

"Likewise," Sara hummed, watching him thoughtfully. "Are joining us for lunch?"

Laurel shot her surprised look. Well, it had occurred to her, but she didn't expect her sister to be the one to actually ask.

Matt seemed taken aback too, uselessly opening his mouth and closing it.

"Come on, I bet you're a big busy lawyer, but can't you spend an hour with an old friend? Please, Matt?" Laurel bargained. His smile was tight.

"I'm here for a personal matter, actually," he shifted uncomfortably. Sara made a small choked noise next to her. Laurel frowned.

"Uhm... would it happen to be with someone you were on a phone with earlier? Or you couldn't reach them which it looked like when I'm thinking about it now?"

"Are spying on me, miss Lance?"

"What can I say. Couldn't take my eyes off you once I spotted you."

The choked noise from Sara was more distinctive now.

"I guess I can spare half an hour," he admitted with a defeated sigh. Somehow, the defeat felt more crushing than it should.

The moment they seated themselves in an Italian restaurant, Sara attacked. "So, Matt... you're a lawyer, huh?"

"Uhm, yes. Defense attorney, actually."

"In New York City?"

"Yeah. I'm... the city has something that can't let go of my heart," he replied with a tight smile. He didn't look very comfortable.

"Feel the same way about Starling," Laurel joined the conversation before Sara could shoot another question. Sara was scanning Matt, examining. Laurel wasn't sure why, but it was like Matt could feel it, because he was stiff; he had always seemed perceptive, so it was not out of question. "So what you've been up to? I know you wanted to be an attorney, glad that worked out."

"Yeah, yeah, it did. Uhm... we actually opened a practise with Foggy-" Aha! She knew the name of his friend was weird somehow. "-lasted for a while, but it didn't work out as much as we wanted. He left to another firm. I'm independent now."

"Taking care of small men," Laurel guessed and that managed to create an honest smile on Matt's lips. Not quite shining, but honest.

She remembered he was an idealist; they both wanted to see justice being done, but while Laurel lately wanted to make sure the criminals got what they deserved, Matt stuck with what she had been doing in CNRI – helping people, who got into law trouble often without being guilty of something.

"Trying my best. What about you? The other side of the barricade?"

"Yep. District attorney."

The waiter brought their food, wishing bon apetit. Laurel thanked him, wishing he vanished soon.

"Congratulation. You deserve the best, Laurel," Matt offered gently, still under Sara's inquisitive gaze.

"Thank you, Matt. I'm sorry it didn't work out with Foggy."

He shrugged. "It was my fault. I needed to make a choice and I understand why he couldn't accept it. Sometimes... sometimes even when you try your best it's not enough," his voice fell into a whisper, carefully hidden pain behind each word.

Laurel knew how that went, there had been a time she had been hiding it too. It was something they had in common – they might have been in different stages of grieving when they had met, but they both knew it never really went away. She heard the melancholic weepy note in his voice that most people wouldn't pick up on.

"So, I gotta ask. What brought you to Starling?" Sara interrupted the short silence that followed, sounding impatient, ignoring her food.

"Like I said, it's a... a personal matter."

The question clearly upset him. Laurel kicked Sara under the table. Sara raised her index finger, wait for it.

"I assume it's about a girl." Laurel's eyes went wide and she kicked her harder. What the hell, Sara?!

"You assume right. And I don't want to be rude, but I'm afraid that it's none of your business," he replied, coldly polite.

"Of course," Laurel hurried, shooting Sara a murderous look; she grinned in return. But Matt wasn't just upset now, he was irritated too.

"Sure, but we can take you to Vera if you want," Sara dropped the bombshell and Laurel held her breath as Matt seemed to turn into a statue.

Wait, what? What?!

Sara was smiling victoriously, enjoying Matt's blank expression. He looked... busted? Really?! Vera? The girl from the bunker— she was from New York City, wasn't she? They had talked about 'Matt'. She had reacted strangely when Laurel had told her she was a lawyer. Holy. Shit.

"I'm not sure what-"

"Oh, come on, cut the shit. Your poker face is terrible. You sure he's a lawyer?" Sara demanded, turning to Laurel and Laurel just managed to stare.

But... they had talked about a vigilante too. Matt couldn't be a vigilante. He was blind. They had been together long enough for him to let her see his eyes; they were unfocused. He was blind. There was no way he could be dressing in a costume, beating up bad guys at night.

But then again, was there anything impossible these days? Apparently, there were ninja cults and mirakuru soldiers. And the fact Matt, a lawyer from New York City, pretty athletic and ripped by the way, a person she knew had a very strong feeling of justice, was here for a personal matter, conveniently after Vera appeared and he reacted to her name the way he reacted...

"Holy shit," she breathed out. "Is any of my exes not running around taking down criminals?!"

Matt licked his lips nervously, unable to deny anything.

"I knew you two had a thing! Of course you had. Now come on, Laurel. That's two. It's not too bad-"

"I don't understand what you're talking about," Matt protested weakly and seriously, Laurel wouldn't believe a word he said, even though she still couldn't wrap her head around this revelation.

"Okay, Matt. Let's get these to go and take you to your fi— friend."

Matt gulped, paling, but nodded.

So much for no more surprises.

---

Felicity was honestly on edge. Between her recently gained friend who had gotten beat up in a secret vigilante basement, her newly formed relationship (oh god, finally), Sara back in town and her exclusive job, she liked to think she was entitled.

The fact she was dealing with all the impatient customers was not helping and when she eventually took a break, she found like ten missed calls from Matt Murdock.

"Dammit!" she hissed at the phone, resisting the urge to bang her head against the table.

She had called him after Oliver had talked to Vera. Honestly, Felicity thought Vera sincerely regretted her decision, while still being on edge and trying to justify it and beat herself over it at the same time. After talking to Oliver, who had shared his own opinion with Felicity, she hadn't hesitated and had found Matt Murdock's number. Not that he had bothered to answer his phone. It had taken her several tries until she had realized he probably hadn't wanted to talk to anyone. So she had found his former law partner and used him as a messenger. Foggy Nelson had texted her that Matt was a mess, but apparently decided to put up a fight for his relationship with Vera.

Then, of course, Felicity had entered the bunker only to find out Sara was back and had had a fist and sole chat with Vera, both thinking the other one had been an intruder. Which would be kinda funny if Sara wasn't highly trained member of The League of Assassins and Vera, who might be broken inside, wasn't a fierce fighter too. Apparently, there had been a gun involved too. Felicity was trying to imagine herself explaining that to a vigilante she had never met, probably making him angry only by knowing his identity, and all of these imaginations went really swimmingly.

Before she could call Murdock back, she had another incoming call. Sara.

"What's wrong?" Felicity blurted out. Sara Lance aka the Canary calling her in the middle of the day? That just couldn't be good. Exactly what she needed right now.

"You're at work?" Sara pried, sounding casually, causing Felicity to frown. Was this a social call?

"Uhm... yes. On my break. But honestly, if this isn't urgent, I really have some things to do-"

"Like calling a certain lawyer, who happened to had a thing with my sister during her time at Columbia Uni and now is in Starling for a personal matter? We'll be with you in two," Sara rattled on cheerfully and it took Felicity a minute of standing and listening to the deaf phone to realize what Sara implied.

"Oh. Oh."

She walked behind the counter again, scanning the shop. They were indeed coming in. Laurel, Sara and... someone in red round glasses she had seen in multiple newspaper articles. The one Matt Murdock. Well, shit.

Felicity made her way to them.

"Hey, guys. How-" She glanced her boss peripherally, cursing mentally. "-how can I help you?"

The man frowned. Felicity knew he was blind just like she knew his other senses were enhanced; she wondered if he was scanning her somehow and the idea made her heart jump. Seeing was believing.

He opened his mouth, but Laurel, who noticed Felicity's gaze, beat him to it.

"Yes. We have something that needs repair. Could you please point us the right direction?" she asked brilliantly and Felicity smiled.

"Of course, follow me. My name is Felicity and I'm here to help you with any issue you have."

Ghost of a relieved smile appeared on the ridiculously attractive man's lips and he gripped Laurel's arm tighter as they followed her to the back.

"Huh. Good. I'm sorry. Felicity Smoak, nice to meet you. I believe you're Mr. Murdock?"

"Yes, that would be me. Pleasure's all mine. It's Matt," he introduced himself in soft voice, strange edge in it. Felicity didn't blame him. She accepted his hand.

"Alright. I'm not sure how did you all get together, but I'm glad you did. I'm sorry I didn't answer your calls. It's just... work. I guess you can't wait me to take you to her?"

Matt grimaced. "That would be my preference. But I believe that I can wait until you finish work? Unless you know about... about Vera having a fleeing tendency?"

No one dared to comment his voice breaking on her name.

"Yeaaah, I don't think so. She's in the Arrow cave," Sara announced, biting her lip. "And there's something you need to know."

Matt had been very pale by the time he entered the shop. Now he was white as sheet of paper. "What is it?"

"She's... hurt," Laurel offered cautiously as she realized what Sara was talking about. It made Matt to grip his cane tighter.

"I figured," he choked out and Felicity understood what he probably assumed.

"Yeah, not that kind of hurt. I mean, yeah, that too, but I think there's a solid chance to fix that, otherwise I wouldn't call, she's probably going to kill me for giving her hideout away, but... like physically hurt too."

"Hurt how?"

"Bruised ribs. Two cuts on her throat. I think she hit her head too and her abdomen isn't peachy either. Nothing compared to the scar from the Chaste though," Sara listed matter-of-factly and Felicity shot her a look.

Matt turned into a stone.

"The— The Chaste? How do you-" he stuttered, taking several steps back, breaking himself from Laurel. "She wouldn't tell you that."

"Probably not, unless we had a conversation about deadly ancient organizations together with Roy. The thing is, I'm pretty much a member of The League of Assassins, but you don't need to worry about that. It's just for you to know why I know things. Felicity and Laurel have nothing to do with this – I came back to town, to the bunker, and found an intruder. I was protecting Oliver's secret and she wasn't willing to answer any questions, doing the same. We fought. I'm sorry, I had no idea."

His knuckles turned white, his jaw set very tight, but he didn't snap. Yet. He took several deep breaths, obviously forcing himself to relax. Felicity respected him enormously for that; she suspected he had a temper, being a guy who beat up criminals on the streets. Jesus, he was blind, she would never get over that.

"Okay. Other than the injuries you named... is she okay? How is she doing?"

"Crying a lot. Lacks good night sleep. Asked me the other night for your shirt and a heater when I offered my help with her nightmares, she was a little out. Yet vigilant enough to notice a shooter on a footage and warn Oliver."

"Healthy and capable enough to put up one hell of a fight. Loyal to keeping secrets. She gave up your first name when under meds, but by accident really, nothing incriminating. You taught her well," Sara praised with a relieved smile.

His lips twitched too, his expression softening. "That's mostly her."

Sara just nodded, approving. "I like him. Even when he's with The Chaste."

"I'm not. I never wanted that."

"They hurt her to get to you, didn't they?"

"Yes. I left to prevent further damage."

"Something tells me it didn't really work," Sara noted, his expression enough on an answer.

"No. She attracts trouble. Me included."

"And Oliver Queen, apparently. Alright, guys. I gotta go back to work. Matt, it's depends on you, you can wait, but Sara and Laurel can take you to the bunker too. Or would you like to talk to Oliver first?"

"Is there any point in it?"

Felicity had honestly no idea. She shrugged. "He talked to her about you. Told her what happened. So I don't know, maybe. They can give you his number. I gotta run before my boss strangles me."

She spun on her heels, surprised when strong hand caught her gently. She turned back to him, curious.

"Thank you, Ms. Smoak. For taking her in... taking care of her... and— and for calling me. I'm never gonna-"

"Be able to pay me back? I'm sure that's not true. And she's great, it's a pleasure, really. Plus, you know, I'm a fan of the whole vigilante finding love thing. Just... try to make it right, okay? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you."

The corners of his lips rose high. "Thank you.... You're right, they are looking for you already. Someone says you're lucky you're so good at your job."

Her eyes went wide. Yep, seeing is believing. And shit, she really needed to go. "See you later! Maybe!"

-----Notes:
Little bit of a filler chapter, but then again, there isn't much plot in general, so....

There has been more than a fair share of Vera interacting with guys chapters. Fixed it :D

I totally wanted Laurel Lance and Matt to have a history. They wouldn't be a bad match, especially later when Laurel becomes the Black Canary. Vigilante lawyers. Murlance. It's a thing. I would write them if I had any concrete ideas about them, but I'll settle just for reading the few works there are out there. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 41 2
In which Oliver is kind of an egotistical D until he's not, Foggy is a D as well (with a reason though), Diggle is being a father despite not having...
6.2K 144 33
"She is an intelligent women, she would figure out my identity in no time. What identity you ask? The identity of the South side Starling City Vigi...
56.1K 1.6K 49
Love. A word so simple yet so complex. For Bruce, it meant family. Family that he lost and the family he created. But love can be harsh, especially i...
97.7K 3.9K 63
Pamela Isley returns to Arkham Asylum after her young-adult daughter (Y/N) refuses to play a part in Poison Ivy's schemes. With the chance to finally...