Patricians: Sinful Seven (1 o...

Por RyanMatthewBrowning

Nothing is more desirable than power, but nothing is more offensive. Henry Williams founded Muse Industries t... Más

Chapter 1: Truth and Tragedy
Chapter 2: Aftershock
Chapter 3: Aggressive Negotiations
Chapter 4: Family Connections
Chapter 5: Breach of Contract
Chapter 6: Profiling
Chapter 7: Paradise Lost
Chapter 8: Homecoming
Chapter 9: Dazed and Confused
Chapter 10: A Father's Resolve
Chapter 11: Post-Traumatic Stress
Chapter 12: Strategic Concept
Chapter 13: Family Friends
Chapter 14: Gifts from the Heart
Chapter 15: Schemes
Chapter 17: The Witching Hour
Chapter 18: Preparations
Chapter 19: Red Carpet
Chapter 20: Courtiers
Chapter 21: Rapacious Lions
Chapter 22: The Masquerade
Chapter 23: Royal Audience
Chapter 24: Star-Crossed
Chapter 25: Iron Hand
Chapter 26: Ripples
Chapter 27: Security Gaps
Chapter 28: Missing
Chapter 29: Stolen Moments
Chapter 30: Minutes to Madness
Chapter 31: Lethal Force
Chapter 32: Fallen from Grace
Chapter 33: Damage Report

Chapter 16: Intimidation Tactics

13 15 0
Por RyanMatthewBrowning

Stars twinkled in the sky over New York City. Soft starlight reflected from the hull of the limo sweeping across the night sky. Slowing down the limo hovered in front of a massive grey skyscraper. Limo doors whisked open with a whoosh. Stepping out Cpt. Anderson led Muse Security and established a perimeter.

White moon light highlighted the ebony combat armour worn by Muse security. Only the white logo of a hand over a fist stood out on the uniform. Henry William's stepped out of the limo marching straight towards the office. Guards flanked the CEO marching towards the door to the office building. Automated sensors scanned the approaching people triggering the main doors to open.

Henry strolled through the double doors with four guards following behind. Six security guards stood watch at the base of the District Attorney's office. Cameras tracked Henry and his team marched towards the group of security. Noticing the armed escort building security looked at one another with worry. One of the guards stopped Henry by stepping in his way.

"Excuse me sir, but I don't see any visitors on the log. I am going to have to ask you to identify yourself." Henry motioned with his hand for the team to stop. The other guards stared at the large assault rifles Muse security troops held. Tension filled the air from the darting glances of the people gathered in the lobby. Armed only with pistols the security guards knew the inferior position they were in. Oblivious Henry dusted dirt from his shoulders before answering.

"Henry Williams. I am here to see District Attorney Richter."

Behind a mahogany desk District Attorney Kyle Richter perused through the case files. Massive stacks of papers towered on the one side of the desk threatening to topple. Kyle groaned running his hands through his hair pulling strands from frustration. The work load had piled up in the pattern resembling a losing game of Jenga. Callous digital time on the watch blared at Kyle showing it was quarter after eleven pm, and the workload would take hours to finish. The intercom buzzed to life interrupting the quiet ambiance of the office.

"I hate to disturb you sir. I have Henry Williams stand here asking to see you." The report only added more stress to the district attorney. Within seconds Kyle realized the reason for the visit at this hour. Henry must have found out about the charges pending on his daughter. The holographic display showed security guards standing opposed to Henry with his armed security team.

Weighing the chain of consequences Kyle tried to decide the best way to handle the situation. Henry Williams possessed power and influence making it unwise to refuse the meeting, but the prosecution of Julia made it unwise to allow entry of her father. The report on the Skymall attack and Henry's behaviour sat on the desk. Having read the report made Kyle feel weary about allowing entrance, but refusal could be much worse. Video showed Henry staring with impatient at the guard standing by the silent intercom. Staring at the intercom Kyle couldn't break through his the indecision gripping his mind.

Henry waited with patience watching the security guard talking over the intercom. After a few minutes the guard exited the booth leaning in to whispering something to his partner. Taking an aggressive stance the entire security group approached Henry and his team. Security guards rested their hands on the pistols at the hip revealing their hostile intentions. Each of the security guards eyes darting watching for slightest sign of hostile intent. Nervous energy added to the tension in the air.

"Tell Mr. Williams he can come enter if he comes alone and surrenders any weapons. Otherwise you are to prevent anyone from entering this building." Turning the intercom off Kyle stared at the door resigned to the choice. Time tightened the hangman's' noose with each second that ticked away. Video zoomed in on Henry so Kyle could watch the response when the guard delivered the news.

"Mr. Williams the District Attorney is pleased to hear of your visit, but requests that your security team remains here. Also I am going to need to ask you to surrender your sidearm in your jacket. You must comply in order to be allowed to enter." Reaching into the jacket pocket Henry withdrew a legal document presenting the paper. Snatching the paperwork the guard examined the document. License and documentation from the government gave rights to carry concealed weapons, and permitted Henry to carry his pistol into any government building.

"I am legally licensed to carry this weapon at all times. I can carry my pistol everywhere in society by the federal government. I am more than willing to leave my men behind. A man in my position must think of his safety at all times. It's a preposterous notion that I have come here with any intention of harm towards the Mr. Richter."

Looking over the legal documentation the Guard scanned for evidence of forgery. After several minutes of scrutiny the guards looked up with disdain. The security guard motioned Henry to move into the scanner. Loud humming emanated from the machine. Blue light swept up and down scanning the devices target. Watching the readout the machine identified the various cybernetic components, genetic modifications, and the pistol in the jacket pocket.

"I am going to assume you have the required forms for your other equipment?" Henry shot a charismatic smile producing the papers handing for the guard. Anger marked the man's face studying he paper work with diligence hoping to find something wrong. Defeated the guard waved Henry through them machine. Motioning to be followed the guard walked towards the elevator at a slow pace.

Both men stopped in front of the elevator. Watching the elevator descend Henry could feel the tension in the air. A soft ding announced the elevator's arrival and doors slid open. Both men stepped forward onto the elevator without looking at one another. Pressing the button for the top floor the guard waited for the doors to close.

Inertia shifted when the Elevator lurched into motion. Magnets pulled the metal car up to the top of the building. Travel to the District Attorney's office only took only a few seconds. Neither Henry nor the Guard uttered a word during the trip. Dinging marked the arrival at the destined floor breaking the silence. Exiting the elevator the securities guard led Henry down the hallway. Approached the double set of wooden doors to the District attorney's office the guard stepped forward.

"After you Mr. Williams" the guard said opening one of the doors. District Attorney Kyle Richter stared from behind a document seeing the figure in the doorway. Walking into the office Henry observed the stack of law books on one side, the artwork on the walls, and the mound of paperwork covering the desk. Closing the door behind the guard stood outside in case he was needed. Henry pulled out one of the chairs in front of the desk sitting down. The sound of a loud snip caused Kyle to look up in time to see the end of a cigar hit the office floor.

"You can't smoke in a federal building it's a ten thousand dollar fine Mr. Williams."

"I must have forgotten District Attorney Richter. Let me offer my sincere apologies." Henry produced a piece of paper and pen. Looking down at the piece of paper Kyle discerned that it was a cheque. Filling out the cheque Henry slid it across the desk. Kyle read ten thousand dollars on the cheque made out to the corporation of New York City. Striking the lighter caused sparks to flash causing flames to roar to life. Holding up the flame Henry lit his cigar in defiance.

"I believe that should satisfy the good people of New York. This will also help you with your conviction rates at the same time. I like it when everyone wins." Tobacco smoke drifted through the room from the cigar. Savouring the flavour for a second Henry blew the smoke at the District Attorney. Powerless to act Kyle could only glare in anger. Henry William's statement was not lost on the lawyer. Double jeopardy laws ensured that each offense could only be charged once, and it was only civil offense punishable by fine. Crossing his arms Kyle watched Henry puff on his cigar for a few moments.

"Mr. William I assure you it is quite the honor to meet you in person. Do you have any particular reason for your visit?" Kyle legal training taught him to never admit to anything first. . Taking stock both men stared at each gauging the opponent. Even years of training didn't prepare Kyle to read the poker face of his opponent. Henry took his time before pulling the cigar from his mouth preparing to answer.

"I felt that I've been remiss. I should have visited when you took office District Attorney Richter. I have heard of your successes in the war on crime and drugs in New York. You're making quite the name for yourself amongst the rich and powerful elite. I don't imagine you get much rest working for the city that never sleeps. I wanted to give you my personal thanks for your tireless and diligent work." Relaxing in the seat Henry exuded an aura of calm to throw his opponent off.

Acute instinct told Kyle that the honey words coated a venomous intent. Henry played the game of words trying to lure his opponent into dropping his guard. Years of experience handling trials taught Kyle how to control his outward appearance. Neither man flinched in resolve. Two titans stood opposed to another divided by a wooden desk.

"You're much smaller in person than I expected Mr. Williams. Your legend paints you as a titan of business, but I find the real man to be much more human. I do appreciate your visit. I suspect you have heard of the indictment of Julia for manslaughter. I think that is the real reason you have come here at such a late hour. Do you intend to use some sort of intimidation tactic on me? Perhaps you intend to threaten me with violence? You can see I have a lot of work to do so could get to the point Mr. Williams."

Henry's feigned shock on his face. Each word represented the movement of another piece on the board. Kyle designed each word and sentence with the purpose to distract, infuriate, or attack. Henry knew words can be the most devastating weapons. Both men struggled to sense the next attack from their opponent. Business taught Henry the war of words.

"I had no idea you intended to prosecute my daughter. I wonder how you could even attempt such a thing against the evidence. I have dozens of witnesses willing to testify to Julia's situation. My daughter endured the ordeal of attempted kidnapping and the traumatic site of the mall. I cannot fathom why you would want to hurt an innocent girl who defended herself. Julia is preparing to embark on the start of her adult life. I mean unless you were using the prosecution as a weapon. I understand how a man of limited foresight would think that hurting my daughter would hurt me. Now what advantage could the District Attorney gain from using my daughter as leverage?"

Scanning the desk Henry spotted a picture frame. Silver framed the picture of Kyle Richter with his wife and two young children. Henry reached onto the desk grabbing the picture. Desperation filled Kyle's face when he tried to grasp the picture before Henry could see it. Each inhale on the cigar caused the heater to glow red illuminating the man's face. Henry looked at the picture with the cigar dangling from his lips.

"I see you are a family man. I wonder how you would act if someone were to threaten your daughter. What lengths would you go to protect your child?" Air bended and shifted distorting Kyle's view from smoke wafting in front of him. The loud thud echoed from the hallway before the room door opened. Wide open the door showed the guard lying unconscious on the ground. Kyle's eyes widened with fear staring at Henry.

"Well it looks like we have some time alone Mr. Richter. Mr. Kincaide is here, but I promise you that he won't tell anyone. Please enlighten me to reason why you're attacking my daughter. A man of your education would know that such action would be a direct attack against me." Henry drank in the reaction from his opposition. Shock left Kyle speechless.

"Your silence reveals you understand the situation all too well. You're going to tell me who put you on this course of action." Exhaling a puff of smoke Henry savoured the emotions in his opponent. Unable to control the emotions Kyle felt panic grip his mind. Polished metal from the pistol gleamed from the half open desk drawer up at the man. Glancing towards the pistol Kyle realized there was no way to get to it.

"Mr. Williams you seem to think someone put me up to this. My indictment of Julia is my own personal crusade. I have taken down every major criminal in New York in the last eighteen months, but I am force to confess the worst criminal runs lose. Mr. Williams since you opened up Muse Industries your actions have left a wake of blood and suffering. Your actions cause chaos on a global scale because you believe you're above the law. I can't hold you accountable to the law. Even if you left evidence I couldn't convince the people to convict you."

Choosing words with care Kyle voice was a mix of terror and conviction. Henry gauged the character of the man before him. District Attorney Kyle Richter's war on organized crime had become a legend throughout New York City. Newspapers called the District Attorney the modern day Elliot Ness. Everyone in New York City adored the forty year old district attorney. Henry could sense the conviction and truth behind the words spoken. Instinct told him the District Attorney was working alone driven by self-righteous conviction.

"I am sorry you think that Mr. Richter. I will not try to change your mind. The next time you decide to attack please have the dignity of coming after me. The only thing keeping you alive is your conviction in the law. You can believe whatever you want and attack me. If you're going to declare war you should be prepared for the consequences. If you ever come after me again through my family the consequences will be dire. I will devote immense fortunes to ensure you're no longer a threat.

Henry slammed his cigar down extinguishing it on the desk top. Staring at each other neither man wanted to break the gaze first. Only after a few moments did Kyle looked towards the picture of his family. The picture was a symbol of what the man held most important. Turning away Henry walked towards the door certain one threat had been dealt with. Kincaide still held the door open waiting for his boss to leave. Turning back to face the district attorney Henry could see the emotions tearing inside the man.

"Tell your technicians I am sorry about the inconvenience. Mr. Kincaides presence causes electronic devices to short out. Think of it as my way to promote job creation." Henry used words to twist the knife. Few people could stand to be insulted in their own office. Fuelled by rage Kyle stood up in defiance.

"You know Mr. Williams I was wrong. Your legend doesn't do you justice. I've heard of the William's pride is something awesome to behold. You really could kill a District Attorney without feeling a hint of remorse. The government would be forced to prosecute. Muse Security would defend you like you were Julius fucking Caesar. Governments would be forced to draw lines between revenue and alliances. If governments side with your action the shadow war would increase in violence. The world would drown in the tidal wave of chaos. I believed monsters were fairy tales for children until I met you. You're so deluded by your pride you have yourself convinced your making the world a better place."

Henry stopped dead in his tracks reaching into his coat pocket. Looking down at the pistol Kyle wondering if he should reach for it. The invisible guardian Kincaide prepared himself to prevent any action by the District attorney. Spinning around Henry drew an object from inside his jacket pocket. Kyle launched backwards diving for cover behind his office chair and desk. Henry walked forward and placed a formal invite on the table. Heavy breathing echoed from behind the desk.

"Now I remember why I came here. My wife sends you her regards with that invitation to the charity event tomorrow. See you at the party Richter!" Henry waved good bye over his shoulder exiting the office. Cowering behind the desk Kyle looked up seeing the empty office. Sitting in the center of the desk was the invitation glaring up at Kyle.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

58.5K 5.8K 102
Ada, a cashier in a consumer-tech dystopia, uses electro-pulse capabilities on a revenge mission against her father. Along the way, she hopes to disc...
29.3K 1.3K 35
My name is Lydia Williams, daughter of well known scientist Henry Williams. My father insisted I learn all types of seemingly useless skills. Karate...
78.4K 6.3K 54
Against many people's fears and warnings, A.I. started off as an innocent project spawned by the curiosities of scientists and tech entrepreneurs ali...
98 0 33
Training to become part of the President's guard in an organization that doesn't exist is all Harley and her mates have known. But when her team is s...