Run

By I_Am_Undeniable

Following in her mother's footsteps, 17 year old valedictorian Tahari Campbell soon will be graduating with h... More

Prologue: Depths of my Solitude...
Lean...
Don't play with a man's money....
Just being nice...
Mixing business with friendship...
I found him...
My nightmare...
I just wish that this mind boggling thing would go away...
There's work to be done...
I should've bitten my tongue
Let me explain...
I guess I'll get started...
You're not as dumb as I thought
Phone call...
I ain't lettin this shit go...
Everybody ain't your friend
Bad nerves...
Session...
She can't be a friend of mine...
Pink Paradise...
I'll learn you what a true friend is...
Tahari huh?
You really rockin with a nigga...
Watch what you say...
Apologize...
Expect the unexpected...
If I find out...
Homicide by Shooting...
NOPD...
You can't be that crazy...
My daughter...
Homegoing...
The History of Math...
Can't catch a break...
Talk...
Sleep...
Freedom...
Use your head...
Soldier...
A day out...
Conversations...
Learning more...
Kill or be killed...
Law of Attraction...
Mark my words...
Let me in...
Deadly...
Two different worlds...
Kick Back...
She got me...
And it begins...
Room G- 31...
Mama...
Daddy's Little Girl...
Dreamer...
Bad boys ain't no good...
There's only one me and you...
Loyal Till The Soil...
Old Souls and Conversations...
Feel It In The Air...
Love it or Hate it...
Business...
Tell me something...
Where your real friends at?...
Day & Night...
Take heed...
What's your biggest fear?
Innocence
Tell All...
Heart to Heart...
Adam's Rib...
Sweet Dreams...
Thou shalt not bear false witness...
Don't Matter...
Let me show you how we bang...
Look at how far I've come...
The Brokenhearted...
No turning back now...
Friend or Foe?
With me you ain't gotta worry bout nothing...
Change....
Victim to the streets....
Touched...
Let's spend life slow together..
I'll go everywhere you go...
Nola...
Hell On Earth
Thinking Out Loud...
REDRUM
Lady

He could be crazy...

37.4K 1.2K 697
By I_Am_Undeniable

Lunch had finally crept around and I found myself in the school's library studying for a report I had to write for World History II. As I carried on with my silent reading, I couldn't help but hear my name being called from a distance. It was rather muffled but that didn't stop me from what I was doing. I then heard my name being called once again but it was much louder. Just as I turned my head to see who was calling my name, I saw the librarian, Mrs. Hayes shushing my best friend Briana. I shook my head and let out a sly chuckle as I turned correctly in my seat and flipped the page of the book I was reading. Briana pulled out a chair and sat down at the table I was occupying.

"I've been looking all over for you. Why are you in here wasting your lunch hour?", Briana asked gazing at me as she rested her elbows on the table.

"Studying.", I simply said as my eyes followed the words in the book. "I have a report to do in World History II on The Holocaust, World War II. It's due next week and I want an A.", I calmly said as I turned the page.

Briana sighed. "You know you don't have to do all of this, you have all AP classes. You're already graduating with honors. I barely get to see you because you're always busy with homework.", Briana whined as she dragged homework.

I gazed at her as I closed the history book. "Briana, taking all these AP classes will improve college admission chances. My high school record will be phenomenal. I'll be well prepared for the college scene and if I'm lucky, I may even qualify for a scholarship. Between you and Jade, y'all both know how important it is for me to get accepted into Louisiana State University, following in my mother's footsteps. Plus with my AP experience I will be guaranteed to graduate in four years. I just want this so bad.", I explained.

Briana nodded indicating that she understood exactly where I was coming from. She pressed her lips together before speaking. "I understand where you're coming from but just for this moment, let's go have some fun. You're always studying and doing work, live a little.", Briana said.

I rose an eyebrow. "What kind of fun do you have in mind?", I asked carrying on with my gaze I had on her.

Slightly throwing her hands up, she spoke."Alright, please have an open mind, I met this guy yesterday and he wants me to chill with him and I was wondering if you could maybe tag along.", Briana stated.

I sat back in my seat as I furrowed my eyebrows. "Yesterday Bri? You don't even know this guy and you are going to chill with him? He could be crazy.", I said displeased with her choices.

Briana rolled her eyes as she began to speak. "Which is why I want you to tag along. In case he is crazy, I won't be alone with him. Please just come.", Briana whined.

I sighed. "Fine, I'll come. After school right?", I questioned.

Briana bit her lip. "Not exactly.", she said trailing off.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Then what exactly? ", I questioned, gazing at her awkward body language.

"Well he's on his way to pick me up now", Briana said hesitantly.

I shook my head. "Nope, no can do. I've never skipped school a day in my life and I don't plan on starting now Briana.", I stated as I stood from my seat and grabbed the history book.

Heading over to the bookshelf, Briana followed behind me. Just as I slid the book back on to the shelf, she spoke. "Come on please.", she pleaded just before her phone rang. She took it out of her purse. Pressing answer, she slid the phone to her ear. "Hello", she spoke as she held the phone to her ear, listening to the person speak through her speaker . She gazed at me. "Hey, Devin is it alright if my best friend tag along?", She asked him as she gazed at me.

My mouth dropped, I just told her no...

She smiled. "Alright cool, we'll be right out.", She said happily as she ended the call. Putting her phone back into her purse she spoke. "He's here", She said softly giving me a nervous smile.

I shook my head. "Seriously Briana, I just said no and you go ahead and tell him that I'm coming with the two of you. You're going to be looking stupid when you walk outside by yourself because I'm not going anywhere. ", I said sternly.

She pinched the bridge of her nose and closed her eyes as she let out a sigh. Seeming a bit frustrated I'm sure but quite frankly I could care less. She took her hand away from her nose as she opened her eyes. Gazing at me, she spoke. "Just this once.", She pleaded softy.

I sighed knowing I was going to regret my decision in the end. "Alright, alright Briana.", I said more annoyed than anything.

A smile crept upon her face, revealing her pearly white teeth. "Okay, come on", She said heading for the exit of the library as I followed behind. We found ourselves walking along the main hallway until she turned down the empty hall which the swimming pool was located. There was an exit there. Paying attention to our surroundings, she quickly pushed the door open and ran out as I ran behind her. My heart was racing as I did so because I have never snuck out of school before. I was afraid that we would get caught but I continued to run behind Briana until she spotted a 1985 royal blue Buick Regal sitting on what I believe to be 24 inch rims.

"There he is, come on.", She said as she began walking towards his car with me following.

We both walked over to the passenger's side. Briana opened the door for me as I climbed into the backseat of the two door car. "Hello", I spoke as I sat correctly down in my seat.

"What's up", he said never looking back at me.

Briana got in, closing the door behind her. "Hey Devin", She said smiling a grinny smile at him.

He gazed at her. "What's good shawty", He greeted, giving her a sly smile in return.

He started the car and the roaring of the engine startled me a bit. "We chillin at my yungin Sina's crib if that's cool with y'all ", He said as he drove out of the parking lot.

"That's cool with us, so what are we going to do?", Briana asked.

He smiled. "Shit, we can get fucked up if you think you can hang.", He said letting off a small chuckle.

Briana rolled her eyes. "I can hang, I can handle all the shit you throw my way. Believe that", Briana said confidently.

Not caring for what they were talking about, I furrowed my eyebrows as I thought about what Devin said...

...."We chillin at my yungin Sina's crib if that's cool with y'all "....

Not meaning to interrupt their not so interesting conversation, I spoke. "Hey, when you said Sina, were you referring to Sina, the notorious drug dealer of Nola?", I somewhat blurted.

Devin took a look at me through his rear view mirror. He chuckled before speaking. "Yeah, if that's what you wanna call him but shawty that's my yungin. Been rockin with him for years.", Devin said as he put his attention back on the road but continued to prolong the topic. "How you know about my yungin though? He move in silence", He continued.

"My cousin talks about him all the time. He's a bit out of it at times because he is always high off rocks that he gets from him. He always tell me that Sina is no one to play with. I heard about him a lot from several people, the stories are quite frightening if you ask me.", I answered.

"Let me give it to you like this. Like ya cousin said, Sina ain't shit to play with, so when we get there, don't play with him. No slick shit because buddy don't give a fuck about shit. Nigga ain't for none.", Devin said.

As I took in his words Briana spoke."Fuck all that shit, I just want to get high or some shit.", she more so blurted out.

I gazed at Briana through her exterior mirror and her demeanor was off, an act to be more precise. The very females that turned into different people in front of a guys, the type of females she goes on about hating; she was acting just like them and it had me a bit disappointed. Be yourself. As they continued on with their conversation, I tuned them out with my thoughts as I gazed out of the window.

Honestly, I was more than afraid to go to Sina's house. Every time I've ever heard that name it was always dealing with murders and so on. Let anyone in the Nola tell it, Sina was bad news. Many feared him because like Devin stated but in my words "He don't care about anything "... I sighed, hoping my small fear of being in his presence soon die down.

After a while, I noticed that we were cruising through downtown New Orleans. I became a bit uneasy about this place because just last week I heard that there were three murders this way. Triple homicide on the WVUE Fox8 news ruptured due to drug dealing in downtown Nola. Believe me, it was enough to make you petrified about being in this area but for the moment, I shook away from my thoughts. We drove along the road of Claiborne and as we did so, I noticed a small yellow and red restaurant on the corner called Wing Snack, never heard of it but small businesses like that usually had great food, being family oriented that is. As I continued my gaze, I noticed a lot of people outside, from walking, to being posted in front of corners stores waiting to make some deals.

We turned off of Claiborne, got on Pollock and drove along the streets, passing more abandoned homes than occupied. We made another turn, right off 3rd in Pollock, cruising down the avenue, Devin finally pulled up on to a curb right in front of a brick house, not too big nor too small. There was a 1980, candy apple red, four door, Chevy Caprice sitting on what I believe to be 24 inch rims parked in the driveway...

Devin turned off the car, taking the key out of the ignition. I grew hesitant once Devin as well as Briana opened their car doors and stepped out. I hesitantly pushed the velvet seat up before stepping out of the the backseat. I closed the car door and followed behind them as they both walked along the walkway. We walked up the stairs of the porch as Devin stopped in his tracks and began knocking on the door. My heart began to beat rapidly as we awaited for someone to answer the door. As we did so, I gazed around at our surroundings, hoping and praying that we weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time. My heart jumped as I heard the tumblers of the locks unlock. I swiftly turned my attention back on to the door as it slowly opened...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 214 70
Two words was all it took. All it took to change everything. All it took to land her in prison. And all because she wanted to turn her life around, t...
3.5M 103K 56
What happens when you meet the one person you relate with the most? All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed...
183K 4.6K 32
Sierra is a college student in ATL. She is also a video vixen. She has a 6 yr old child & is trying to make it out here on her own as a single mother...
645K 24.7K 67
Kayla, 17. She is trying to do what she has to do to provide for herself. Kayla's dad was always there for her, loved ANC cared for her, they had a g...