Percy Jackson One Shots and S...

By unsureavenger

Short stories, in no particular order, of the beloved characters from the universe of Percy Jackson and the H... More

Percy Jackson: One-Shots & Short Stories
#1 - A Study Session Gone Awry
#2 - Your Secret Admirer
#3 - Beach Surprise
#4 - The Blackout (Part I)
#5 - The Blackout (Part II)
#6 - The Dreaded Day
#7 - Let's Go Camping! (Part I)
#8 - Let's Go Camping! (Part II)
#9 - Game Night
#11 - Montauk
#12 - The Accident
#13 - The Proposal
#14 - A Fateful Football Game
#15 - Lost Campers
#16 - The Blofis Wedding
#17 - Stalemate
#18 - Gold and White
#19 - Housewarming
#20 - Mistletoe (Part I)
#21 - Mistletoe (Part II)
#22 - New Year's Eve
#23 - Cheeseburgers and Fries
#24 - By the Beach
#25 - End of the Line (AU)
#26 - The Mission
#27 - Out of Touch
#28 - Nico the Babysitter
#29 - Night Out
#30 - A "Safe", "Calm" College Frat Party
#31 - Something Special (AU)
#32 - The College of New Rome
#33 - The Makeover
#34 - The Hot Lifeguard
#35 - Thanksgiving
#36 - Talent Searcher
#37 - A Goode Surprise
#38 - Acceptance Letters
#39 - Break My Heart Again (AU)
#40 - Ask Me, I Dare You
#41 - She's With Me
#42 - Don't Call Me Angel
#43 - The City of London
#44 - Just Be Here (AU)
#45 - Rule Number Four (AU) (Part I)
#46 - Rule Number Four (AU) (Part II)
#47 - Annabeth's Work Trip
#48 - Just Stay
#49 - The Library Book (AU)
#50 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part I)
#51 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part II)
#52 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part III)
#53 - Stuck With U (Part I)
#54 - Stuck With U (Part II)
#55 - Territory (Part I)
#56 - Territory (Part II)
#57 - Territory (Part III)
#58 - Territory (Part IV)
#59 - Territory (Part V)
#60 - The Avengers (AU) (Part I)
#61 - The Avengers (AU) (Part II)
#62 - The Avengers (AU) (Part III)
#63 - The Avengers (AU) (Part IV)
#64 - The Avengers (AU) (Part V)
#65 - The Avengers (AU) (Part VI)
#66 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part I)
#67 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part II)
#68 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part III)
#69 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part IV)
#70 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part V)
#71 - Parrot It Back
#72 - On What Grounds? Coffee. (AU)
#73 - What Happened After Happily Ever After (AU)
#74 - The Lonely Hearts Club (AU)
#75 - Oh, How The Turn Tables (AU)
#76 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Part I)
#77 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part II)
#78 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part III)
#79 - Etched on Skin (AU) ( Part IV)
#80 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Bonus)

#10 - Flash From the Past

6.9K 127 282
By unsureavenger

Chapter 10 - Flash From the Past
published: Monday, 10 September 2018

"What was the significant event that occurred on November 9, 1989?"

Before Mrs Brown had even completed her question, Annabeth's hand shot into the air.

Mrs Brown called on her with a sigh.

"The demolition of the Berlin Wall," Annabeth declared. Her stack of history notes - all hand-written - was flipped open in front of her to the page of the Berlin Wall.

She calmly ignored the snickers and whispers that erupted behind her.

"What a nerd. When is she ever not studying?" It was Jillian Crux, the brown-haired, blue-eyes most popular girl in their year and, in Annabeth's opinion, the most ignorant person to ever walk this Earth. And that was saying something considering Percy Jackson existed.

Just thinking about him made her heart clench in frustration.

He wasn't exactly stupid, but he was dumb in an oblivious kind of way. Annabeth had had a crush on him - probably her best guy friend - for a while now, but she'd only come to terms with her feelings last summer, when they were trapped in a volcano where she'd thought he was going to die and she kissed him.

Yet, somehow, Percy didn't get the hint. Or worse, maybe he understood her feelings and he didn't like her that way. Annabeth couldn't bear to think about losing such an important friendship, and it hindered her from pursuing something more with Percy.

Something else that stopped her from going after him was also Rachel Elizabeth Dare. She was a red-headed girl who had caught Percy's interest in the last few years.

Annabeth remembered strolling up to Goode High last summer, her heart racing at the thought of watching a movie with Percy, and discovering that he was running off with Rachel. And she could see through the Mist, which meant that her being a mortal wouldn't keep her away.

"Can't believe she even bothers coming to school. Doesn't she understand that no one even cares that she exists?" This time it was Nancy, Jillian's best friend and number one henchman. She wasn't muscular, and she appeared scrawny with stringy red hair, but Nancy was infamous for beating kids up in the hallways at Jillian's command, or stuffing their heads into the toilet bowls.

Kind of like a less-likeable Clarisse.

Annabeth threaded her fingers together under the table and took a deep breath in.

Don't respond to bullies, it'll only make things worse.

It was times like this where the thought of Camp Half-Blood comforted her. Even the looming Titan War was somewhat of a comfort because it reminded her that high school was not her entire life.

After another agonising 10 minutes of snarky whispers and sharp comments, Annabeth gratefully burst out of the History classroom.

Waiting for her was Haley, pretty much her only friend in the entire school. Haley was an...alternative person. She ditched school if she felt like Starbucks, and never bothered to finish any work unless her overbearing parents forced her too. As a result, Haley could usually be found in detention, which left Annabeth to fend for herself against Jillian and Nancy.

It was a complete surprise that Annabeth was even friends with Haley, considering they were polar opposites.

"Hey, I've got some juicy news," Haley said smugly as she high-fived Annabeth in greeting. "Apparently there're some new students, and one of them is supposed to be so cute."

Annabeth raised her eyebrows. "And why would I be interested in this?"

Haley sighed. "For someone so smart, you sure take a long time to catch. I want to set you up with him, duh."

"Um, no," Annabeth interjected immediately. "I'm gonna stop you right there. I've already told you so many times that I'm not interested in a relationship. And besides, if he's as cute as you say, he'll be one of the jocks and he'll never go for me."

"Says the girl who has the captain of the football team at her beck and call," Haley pointed out stubbornly.

Annabeth snorted unattractively. "Matt Sloan is an absolute pig. Come on, even you have to agree."

Haley peered over her shoulder. "Fine. But he's coming this way."

"Hades," Annabeth cursed. She didn't even bother to glance behind. Annabeth grabbed Haley by the wrist and dragged her as she hurried to the next corridor. At the fork, she took a left, hoping she'd lost him.

"I feel like a secret agent," Haley remarked as Annabeth released her wrist. "Can we sneak into the cafeteria and get some lunch?"

Annabeth looked at her suspiciously. This was the first time Haley hadn't ditched her for Starbucks. "You never want to get lunch." Then she gasped accusatorially. "You want to set me up with that guy!"

Haley didn't even try to deny it. "Annabeth, just do it! Sloan will leave alone if you have a date. Just do it! One date with a new guy couldn't hurt."

"The new guy?" The familiar click of Jillian's helps and thrum of Nancy's sneakers came up behind them.

Annabeth groaned internally and glared at Haley for distracting her.

"You, Annabeth Chase, resident nerd of the school, is going to go for the hottest guy I've ever seen," Jillian scoffed.

"So what if she is?" Haley retorted. "I'm pretty sure his type isn't slutty daddy's girls."

Annabeth opened her mouth to remind them that she wasn't going out on dates with anyone, but Haley shushed her with a look.

"Neither are they ugly geeks," Nancy shot back, looking pointedly at Annabeth.

"Just stop, I'm not going out on a date with him," Annabeth told them.

"Of course, not." Jillian folded her arms. "He's mune, and besides, you've probably never even liked a guy, much less been out on a date or had a boyfriend." She sniffed disapprovingly. "You're too ugly for any guy to date you anyway."

"Look who's talking. I can't really tell because I can't see your face through all that makeup," Annabeth retaliated.

"You're just jealous because I'm capable of getting a boyfriend," Jillian sneered. "And you aren't."

"Yes, I am." Annabeth scowled.

What she did next was completely unworthy of Athena and the rashest decision she'd ever made. "You can tell that to my boyfriend."

All three girls turned to look at her in astonishment.

"Boyfriend?" Nancy repeated incredulously.

Haley gave Annabeth a sharp look that said, We will talk later.

"No way," Jillian said in disbelief. "Is it Jeff?" She and Nancy shared a laugh.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. Jeff was a perverted senior obsessed with computers, who was kind of strange and squirmy in a clammy kind of way, and was the most disgusting kid in school. Jillian and Nancy tried to set him up with Annabeth for last year's prom as a joke.

"I don't believe you," Jillian said firmly. "You're obviously faking. How sad is that?"

Annabeth immediately gave up the initial idea to own up and say that she didn't actually have a boyfriend. But now Jillian was annoying her past all rational thoughts. "I have a boyfriend."

"Prove it," Nancy challenged. "What's his name?"

Annabeth swallowed and blurted our the first name that came to her mind, "Percy." She immediately clamped a hand over her mouth.

Jillian laughed. "What kind of dumb name is 'Percy'? I bet he's a geek like you. Hey, I have the best idea, he and Jeff can be best friends!"

"Actually, he's a swimmer." Annabeth tilted her head up defiantly to meet Jillian's gaze. "And you're worthy of or entitled to any answers."

She turned on her heel and stalked off, her heart racing and Haley just a few steps behind her.

Haley quickened her pace to catch up with her, and they walked together in silence to the cafeteria and through the lunch queue. When they were finally seated at a table, Haley exploded with questions. "You have a boyfriend? Why didn't you tell me? Am I not your best friend in this school? What's he like? Is he cute? Is he romantic? Does he take you out on dates?"

"There is no boyfriend," Annabeth hissed, shushing her.

"What?"

Annabeth massaged her forehead. "I just said I had a boyfriend to get Jillian and Nancy to back off."

"But..but...what about Percy the swimmer?" Haley spluttered. "Swimmers are hot and they have abs!"

"Percy is one of my friends," Annabeth explained.

"From the summer camp," Haley remembered.

Annabeth nodded. "Yeah, and our friendship is purely platonic."

Haley stared at her. "I don't know what that means."

Annabeth sighed. "It doesn't matter. The thing is that Jillian and Nancy won't ever know it was a lie. I've only got a month left of sophomore year, and then after that-" Annabeth caught herself before she could accidentally say 'Kronos might kill me before I get to junior year'. That might scare a Haley a little. "-my dad might move us again."

"I'll miss you," Haley said sullenly. "I won't have any friends, how could you abandon me?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Please, you'll be off to Starbucks and McDonald's before I even leave the city. Just try not to fail everything."

"Look, look, look, look," Haley murmured suddenly, grabbing Annabeth's shoulders and wrenching her around. "It's Jillian, she's going to ask out the new guy!"

Annabeth glanced over with little interest.

"I hope he rejects her," Haley said hopefully.

Annabeth speared a potato grumpily. "Who has ever rejected Jillian?"

"Sorry...Not interested..." Haley and Annabeth could hear a few snatches of their conversation from their table.

"He rejected her!" Haley said excitedly, clasping her hands together.

Annabeth turned fully now to get a full view of what was happening. Jillian had a stricken expression and seemed to be at a loss for words. Nancy was getting up from their table to see what was happening.

Then her gaze landed on the victim of Jillian's affections.

"Oh my gods," Annabeth breathed. When she stood up from her seat, she was barely even conscious of her movement. Haley tried to get her to sit back down, but Annabeth started walking towards them.

"Wh-I don't understand?" Jillian seemed to be trying a second time.

Annabeth couldn't see the boys' face past Jillian's head, but she'd recognise that Rasta cap anywhere.

She pushed her way past nosy students and made her way to Jillian. Sure enough, a familiar face stood beside her. "Grover, what are you-"

Annabeth cut herself off when she finally noticed who Jillian was talking to. Windswept black hair looking like he'd just stepped off a beach, sea-green eyes, oh gods...

This was bad. This was bad. This was really, really bad.

"Annabeth!" Percy exclaimed, his eyes filled with relief.

"P-Percy, what are y-you doing here?" Annabeth stammered, still in shock. She hadn't seen him since their quest to the Labyrinth had ended.

"I transferred, uh, schools?" Annabeth assumed he meant it as a statement, but it sort of came out like a question. She studied his face and his pointed glance at Jillian, his way of saying, not here. Oh, he was here on demigod business.

"Hey, Grover," Annabeth said as she waved blandly to her satyr friend, who bleated in greeting.

"Wait, 'Percy'?" Jillian repeated, sending Annabeth a sly glance. "Your name is Percy?"

"Um, yeah," Percy said awkwardly.

Annabeth knew she had to intervene before things went very wrong.

"Well, introduce us, Annabeth," Jillian said challengingly.

"Uh," Annabeth cleared her throat. She mentally prayed Percy wouldn't ruin this. "Percy, this is Jillian and Nancy. Guys, this is Percy, my, uh, my boyfriend."

She ignored Percy's intense look of confusion and Grover's raised eyebrows.

"Boyfriend, really?" Jillian echoed suspiciously.

Annabeth wiped away a bead of perspiration. "Uh..."

"Yes, of course, her boyfriend, that's me," Percy said confidently. Annabeth was about to turn around in surprise, but he wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her towards him. "Um, yeah, we're dating." He glanced to the left. "Right, Grover?"

"Y-Yep," Grover stuttered.

Annabeth tried her best to ignore Haley's looks of betrayal and astonishment from their table.

Thank you, Annabeth prayed to whichever god had somehow allowed Percy to finally have the brain capacity to catch on and play along.

"I guess we'd better go," Percy said slowly. He looked at Nancy strangely. "Do I know you?"

Nancy let out a strangled gasp. "Percy Jackson?"

Annabeth exchanged a glance with Grover when Percy's gaze darkened. Percy frowned. "Nancy Bobofit," he muttered. "This day could not get any worse."

Annabeth sent a fake smile to Jillian, then hurriedly lead Grover and Percy towards Haley. The students in the cafeteria were all taking turns to glance at them and whisper.

The three of them sat down opposite Haley, who was glaring at Annabeth.

"You said that 'Percy' was "just a friend"," Haley hissed.

Percy glanced at her. "Just a friend? I'm hurt, Wise Girl."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Haley, we aren't dating." She turned to Percy. "Thanks for playing along. I'll explain later."

Something flashed across his face, and Percy withdrew his arm from around her. "No problem."

"Listen, I've got detention now, but I want to hear all about this in Trig," Haley threatened. "You'd better be there with a whole explanation." She stood up from the table and stalked away, glancing back at Annabeth accusatorially.

When she'd left the cafeteria, Annabeth exploded, "What in Hades' underpants are you doing here? Is it Kronos? Has the war started?"

"Relax, relax," Percy said in a hushed tone. "We're only here because Chiron said there was a monster in the school, and he sent Grover and I to investigate."

"Don't you have lessons at Goode? With Rachel?" Annabeth emphasised bitterly. She didn't mean to come across jealous, but she couldn't control her own temper.

Percy flushed a dark red. "Paul said I could leave under a pretend medical excuse. Grover did some stuff with the Mist, so now we're enrolled here as new students."

"Just great," Annabeth murmured.

"Don't you want your friends here?" Grover looked so hurt that Annabeth instantly felt terrible.

"Yeah, honestly, it's great to see you guys," Annabeth told them. "Grover, don't you have Lord of the Wild things to do?"

He shrugged and bleated again. "Chiron said this was important. He said that he couldn't afford to put you in unnecessary danger right before Kronos strikes."

She sighed. "Well, this hasn't been an easy year."

Percy glanced at the table where Jillian and Nancy were sitting. "Why haven't you done anything about them?"

"What, you think I should go to a teacher?" Annabeth said sarcastically.

"No, like, bust some moves, beat them up and they'll never mess with you again." Percy frowned. "The Annabeth I know would've done that long ago."

Annabeth tried to keep the heat from her cheeks. "It's not that simple. I'm already an outsider at this school, I don't want to make things worse."

Percy looked like he wanted to say something, but she cleared her throat and silenced him. "So, any idea who's the monster?" Annabeth asked.

Grover shook his head. "The smell of the mortals are masking it, and I think this monster's good at hiding in a crowd. But the scent of monster is so strong that it's either extremely powerful or there are multiple monsters here."

Annabeth chewed on her lower lip. "That doesn't sound good." She looked at them. "So we need to find the monsters, kill them, without any of the hundreds of mortals in the school finding out."

"Spot on," Grover said weakly.

"Do you have a plan?" Annabeth asked.

"I have a plan," Percy piped up.

Annabeth looked at him incrdulously. "And what's that?"

"We do whatever you plan," he said sheepishly.

Annabeth tried to stifle her laugh, but it bubbled up in the back of her throat anyway.

"I'm so hungry," Grover said, staring at Annabeth's Coke can longingly.

"Same," Percy murmured, staring at her pork.

Annabeth tilted her head to the side with an idea. "How do you feel about Starbucks?"

<<<>>>

After they were fully energised on caffeine and full on blueberry muffins - or in Grover's case, the muffin wrappers - Annabeth suggested that they blow off a few classes and search for this monster.

"Could it be her?" Annabeth discreetly pointed at Jillian, a little too hopefully.

"She's a snake, but completely mortal," Grover said, crushing Annabeth's hopes of attacking Jillian. "I still can't believe she asked you out."

Percy winked. "What can I say? I put the 'sexy' in 'dyslexia'."

Annabeth stared at him for a long moment until he paused and went over what he just said. "Crap."

Annabeth burst out laughing, earning strange looks from passing students.

"Shut up," Percy muttered.

The last period bell rang, signalling a flood of students from within the classrooms.

"We should at least make it one class," Grover insisted. "It's a bit suspicious of both of us ditch on our first day."

Percy sighed. "Fine." He pulled out a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket and straightened it. "I have...uh...Lit-Limerick?."

"Literature," Annabeth read, peering over his shoulder. Percy had shot up over the year and was a lot taller than her now. "You've got the same class as me, but don't worry, Mr Dean is pretty cool."

Percy stuffed his timetable back into his pocket. "Grover, you coming?"

"I'm a senior, Percy," Grover said.

Percy shot him a surprised look. "You're not in the same year as us?"

"I'm technically 31 years old, Percy," Grover pointed out. "That might be the equivalent of a 16-year-old, but I look too old to pass for a sophomore. It's safer if I'm in senior year." He pretended to fiddle around with his bag zipper. "Besides, then you two can have some alone time to catch up."

Annabeth narrowed her eyes suspiciously. Something about Grover's words made her think he wasn't telling them something.

"Well, see you." Percy gave Grover a fist-bump, and Annabeth hugged him, then they parted ways for their next lesson.

"Meet at the front gate," Grover called out as he walked away.

Annabeth fell silent as she traipsed beside Percy. It was never awkward with him, but with their fake relationship and the kiss in Mount St. Helens, she didn't know how to act around him anymore.

"So," Percy started. "Rode any Chariots of Damnation this year? Went through another killer maze?"

Annabeth laughed. "No, how about you? Blown up any new monuments recently?"

"Still deciding between the Statue of Liberty or Rockefeller Centre," Percy mused.

The two of them walked into class and slid into a pair of seats. Annabeth wasn't sure how to ask him to sit with her, but fortunately, Percy sat in the chair beside her anyway.

"Hey, budge up."

Annabeth groaned. She'd thought she'd escaped it.

Matt Sloan leaned on her desk, glaring at Percy.

"No," Percy said simply.

"You're kind of hogging my future hot date," Matt said, miffed.

Percy suddenly made an amused noise in he back of his throat. "Matt Sloan. I knew I smelled failure."

"And I knew I smelled scrawny," Matt retorted, though it wasn't valid considering Percy now had actual muscles. "Did you go home and cry to your Mama after I nailed you in dodgeball?"

"That was years ago, Sloan," Percy muttered.

Annabeth let out a breath of disbelief. "You're that guy in Percy's school! The annoying one who kept picking on him."

"What, you need a girl to defend you, Jackson?" Matt mocked.

"What's wrong with that?" Annabeth challenged angrily. "Listen, Sloan. You're getting on my nerves. I've tried to let you down easy, and clearly, your tiny, marshmallow-sized brain isn't capable of processing rejection even when it's staring you in the face. I will never go out with you, so please, stop bothering me and my friend."

She shot him one of her killer glared, which was successful in getting him to back away.

Annabeth rapped her fingers on her desk repeatedly. "I hate boys." 

Percy bumped her shoulder with his. "I take offense to that."

"Class, attention here, please," Mr Dean called. He uncapped his marker and wrote the sentence 'The course of true love never did run smooth.' "To continue our topic on Shakespeare, does anyone know which play this line originated from?"

Annabeth waited a few seconds before raising her hand. "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

"Excellent, Annabeth," he commended. His gaze shifted from her to her seat mate. "And you, Percy Jackson, is it?"

Annabeth stifled a smile as she sensed Percy dive straight into panic mode. "Uh, yes-sir?"

"Give me another famous line from that play."

Percy froze up, stammering "uh"s and "um".

Annabeth quickly whispered the answer to him.

"'Lord, what fools these mortals be!'" Percy answered. He ducked his head down so Annabeth could hear him. "Always saving my life."

"That's now four favours you owe me," she reminded him.

He shifted his chair so he was semi-facing her. "Come to my house after school, I'll give you blue cookies, and we'll call it even."

Annabeth shook his hand under the table. "Deal." She'd only met Sally Jackson once when she drove Thalia, Percy and Annabeth to the school were they rescued the Di Angelos. Percy was always going on and on about her cookies, so Annabeth figured she might as well see what all the fuss was about.

"More of you should recognise these lines, since the play was supposed to be read during spring break," Mr Dean reprimanded.

"You actually read this during your holidays?" Percy whispered.

Annabeth snorted. "Of course not. I finished Shakespeare's plays when I was 7."

Percy looked ready to flip his table.

"What are the main themes in 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'? Could I have a quick summary?" Mr Dean scanned the room with a smile. "Of course, Annabeth again."

"Know-it-all," came a mutter from the behind Annabeth's back.

Percy stiffened, but she placed her hand on his forearm to calm him.

"The most prominent theme in 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' is, of course, love, a subject which is constantly used in Shakespeare's works. The mature and stable love of Theseus and Hippolyta creates juxtaposition with the negative relationship of Oberon and Titania," Annabeth summarised.

When Mr Dean praised her analysis, Percy leaned down and whispered, "You just used about 50 words I've never heard of in my life."

The next half an hour passed swiftly with Annabeth answering questions, mostly just to see what kinds of sarcastic comments Percy could come up with.

The best part of the lessons was when Nancy Bobofit whispered to Jillian, "I have a poetic thought; she's not only dull herself, she's the cause of fullness in others." This was followed by giggles, although Annabeth was pretty sure Jillian hadn't understood a word.

Percy promptly turned around to glare at the two gossips. "Shut up, both of you. You lower the IQ of the whole street."

When he turned back, Annabeth looked at him with raised eyebrows. "Did you just quote Sherlock?"

"Elementary, Watson," Percy said in a mimicked gruffness.

After Literature finally ended, the two of them exited the classroom, ready to meet Grover.

"Wait, I left my History notes in my locker," Annabeth suddenly remembered. "I've got a final next week, just wait for me right here!"

She hurried towards the corridor beside he Chemistry lab, where the sophomore lockers were.

Logging in the combination, Annabeth opened the door with a click and pulled her notes out of her locker.

A swipe of a hand sent her and the papers flying through the air. Annabeth winced at the bruise forming on her back from where she'd hit the floor.

"Going somewhere?" Nancy hissed.

Jillian was standing beside her with her hips swayed to one side a scowl rearranging her usually pretty features. "No one takes my man without a price." She stepped on Annabeth's History notes, creating a sharp indent.

Annabeth wanted to shout at her to stop. She'd spent hours and hours on end perfecting those, and her dyslexia made it especially difficult to write continuously. 

She squeezed her eyes shut. "Please, just go. Leave me alone. I didn't do anything to you."

"Yes, you did," Jillian snarled. She bent down and forced Annabeth to look up at her. "First, you steal Matt Sloan, who was, if you've forgotten, my boyfriend before he started going after you for whatever stupid reason."

"Then, you take Percy away. I could've had him, Annabitch." Jillian crossed her arms and glared at her. "You're worthless, and nothing compared to me. Why would he ever choose you? All you've got is brains, which are useless because boys don't like that. Just so you know, you shouldn't even bother coming to school anymore, because no one here likes you, no one would even miss you! You're a nobody, and you should just do everybody a favour and die!"

"Back. Off."

Annabeth turned behind to see Percy glaring at them.

"Oh, Percy," Nancy started.

"Don't bother," Percy spat in disgust. "What kind of people are you if you just tear others down to make yourself feel better?" 

He knelt down and slung Annabeth's rucksack over his shoulder with her notes in his arms. Grabbing her hand and pulling her up with his free arm, Percy shot one last glare at the two bullies before he led Annabeth away from the lockers.

The students who passed hem by were blurs, and Annabeth kept her head down so they wouldn't see the tears in her eyes.

When they were out of sight of the two girls, Percy pulled Annabeth into the janitor's closet.

"Percy, they'll think we're making out," she croaked.

"Who cares what they think. What I want to know is why you put up with all that bullying?" Percy demanded.

Annabeth stared at her feet silently.

"Why do you let them talk to you like that?" Percy threw his hands up in exasperation. "Annabeth, I've never seen you cry in my life other than when we were attacked by Sirens luring is to the death, yet these stupid girls affect you so much! Why?"

"Because they might be right!" Annabeth burst out. She furiously wiped away her tears. "Because the things they say might be true! My dad thinks I'm worthless, so does my stepmom. If two more girls think the same way, it can't be a coincidence. What if I'm actually what they say about me? I know I make it look like I don't care what other people think about me, but Percy, I do, I do." Annabeth sniffled. "And I wish that I could just ignore it like you do, but it's not easy for me."

Percy gripped her shoulders and leaned down so that they were face-to-face. "Well, you care what people think about you, so you can take in the opinions that matter. Like mine. Annabeth Chase, I think you're the most gorgeous girl I've ever seen in my life. You're also the smartest, the bravest, and by far, the most amazing friend I've ever had. Yes, you're smart, but how is that a bad thing? So, you don't care about your looks, but personally, that is the most refreshing thing about you. You barely seem to acknowledge all the great things that I love about you, and for a person whose fatal flaw is pride, or that hummus thing or whatever, you need to find more confidence in yourself."

Annabeth threw her arms around his neck and hugged him as tightly as she could. Percy was surprised at first, but eventually, she felt his arms circle around her waist and pull her in close.

"Thank you," she said between hiccups.

When she reluctantly withdrew from the embrace, Annabeth quickly wiped away her tears with the front of her shirt.

"Are we okay now?" Percy asked quietly.

Annabeth nodded weakly.

<<<>>>

After that episode, the Percy and Annabeth reunited with Grover at the gate, where they flagged down a cab to take to Percy's apartment.

Grover raised his eyebrows when the two of them approached him, and Annabeth quickly remembered that he could read Percy's emotions. She hoped that he wouldn't see her breakdown.

Annabeth planned to form a strategy at Percy's apartment, and then put it into action in the next few days.

Percy opened the yellow cab door. "Ladies first."

Annabeth tapped Grover on the shoulder. "That means you."

"Haha, very funny." Grover rolled his eyes. He put one foot into the cab and froze in his tracks.

Annabeth followed his gaze to see Mr Collins, her Pre-Calculus teacher strolling past them with the 8th grade Geometry teacher at his side. Both of them visually stiffened as they passed two demigods and satyr.

"Thank you for your trouble, I just remembered I forgot something." Percy murmured some excuse to the cab driver and passed him a five-dollar bill for stopping before waving him off.

Annabeth had her eyes subtly trained on the two teachers, who were conversing in hushed whispers and were walking speedily towards the back entrance of the school.

"They're monsters," Grover confirmed. "But I don't think they're the only ones."

"That guy is one of my teachers, how could I have missed it?" Annabeth chided herself.

"Don't beat yourself up, Grover said these were good at hiding," Percy reminded her. He looked her so trustingly. "So, Wise Girl, what's the plan?"

Annabeth felt her cheeks turn slightly pink at his nickname for her, but she forced herself to focus on the fight at hand. "Originally, I was planning to wait a few days, but they're here now and they know we're going to kill them, so this is our only chance."

She led the way to the back entrance. There was a PE shed of sports equipment that was the ideal hideout for monsters.

"Did you bring your dagger?" Percy asked quietly.

Annabeth drew it out from the side of her boots, feeling comfort in its familiar balance. "Never leave home without it. Percy, you've got Riptide, and Grover, reed pipes?"

Grover nodded, holding the burgundy tubes in his hands.

Annabeth checked the side corridors to make sure no mortal witnesses were present, then they dumped their bags behind a couple of bushes sit the weight wouldn't hinder them.

"We only saw two of them, but I have a feeling there are more. If they were the only ones, they would've attacked us earlier on. Monsters don't care about what the mortals see," Annabeth deduced. "We need to be prepared. We have a son of the one of the Big Three, so they'll definitely smell us coming."

"What's the plan?" Percy asked impatiently.

Annabeth leaned down and began to tell them.

<<<>>>

"Mr Collins? Mrs Priya?" Annabeth called out. The PE storage shed was pitch black and completely silent. For a second, she wondered if she'd been wrong. Maybe the monsters were somewhere else.

"You dare approach us, daughter of Athena?"

There it was, the emerging silhouettes of the teachers from behind crates of badminton rackets.

"Annabeth," Percy murmured in warning as she walked forward confidently.

"Why are you here?" she demanded. "You have no business in this school."

Mrs Priya cackled, but both of them answered in unison. "We are merely answering the call that has united all us monsters."

"Kronos," Annabeth and Percy whispered at the same time. They exchanged knowing glances.

"Where is the third one?" both teachers rasped hoarsely. "The satyr. He doesn't smell as delicious as the two of you, but the more the merrier."

Then Mrs Priya cocked her head to the side. "Oh, found him!"

The shed doors burst open behind Percy and Annabeth, and, to their dismay, they turned to see Grover - bundled up in tape - being carried in by four members of the football team.

Annabeth could feel her heart rate speeding up. She hadn't counted on so many enemies in her plan, and now Grover was out of it.

"You're bringing mortals into this?" Annabeth gasped. She recognised one of the footballers as the quarterback Josh.

"ENOUGH!" Mrs Priya and Mr Collins snarled. "I am sick and tired of your pointless questions, demigod." They spat the word with disgust. "You shall have a taste of my wrath!"

On the last word, the teachers started...melting. There was no other word for it. They had been standing hand in hand earlier, but now, steam evaporated from their bodies, and their figures bent to the side, sort of merging together. The mass grew and grew, until a thick tail sprouted from the back, and a shaggy main elongated from the head.

"What in the name of-" Percy trailed off as he took in the sight before him. It was the strangest monster he had ever seen, which was saying something. It had a green body, with cloven hooves, kind of like a stag's. But from its neck onwards, it was a lion, and it had its thick tail too.

From his position, Percy could see Grover's eyes bulging in alarm.

"Crocotta," Annabeth hissed. She should've guessed. In the myths, the Crocotta was skilled in imitating human voices and devoured the men who approached it. It was brave as a lion, swift as a horse, and as strong as a bull.

Its mouth was salivating with rows of teeth the size of her blade. Drops of slobber and drool spotted the ground as the Crocotta slowly creeped towards the two demigods.

"That is how much you drool when you sleep," Annabeth whispered to Percy, who looked at her with an offended expression.

"Look out!" Percy grabbed Annabeth before she backed up too far. Behind them, the four footballers were also growing in size, until Annabeth recognised them each as Laestrygonians.

Grover whimpered from his helpless place as their feet.

"One Chimera lookalike, four giants." Percy uncapped Riptide, and it enlarged into a sword. "No biggie. How did Hercules kill it?"

Annabeth readied her dagger. "He didn't."

Percy sent her one last glance of terror before the Crocotta charged at them headfirst.

The two of them dived out of the way, and the monster barrelled straight into the Laestrygonians.

While the monsters recovered from the pile-up, Percy dragged Grover to the side and quickly sliced open his bonds, allowing the statue to stumble to his feet and pull out his reed pipes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see them," Grover apologised to Annabeth. Her plan had originally been to let Grover circle around to the back and attack the teachers from behind with plants.

"No problem," Annabeth said dismissively. "I've got a new plan."

"You just generate them like that?" Percy asked incredulously.

She ignored him and continued, "We need to isolate the Crocotta from the giants. We can't fight them altogether, but if one of us distracts the Crocotta long enough for the other two to take out the giants, maybe we can take it down together."

"I'll be the distraction," Percy volunteered. "I have a thing for suicidal missions."

"Don't die," she warned him.

They locked eyes and were instantly reminded of the time in Mount St. Helens when she'd kissed him.

Grover fidgeted from foot to foot. "They're coming, guys!"

The Crocotta was padding slowly towards them, the four giants behind it like burly henchmen.

Before she could dissuade herself, Annabeth rose up on her toes and kissed Percy on the cheek. "Good luck," she whispered into his ear.

The Crocotta leaped into the air, claws reached out, and Percy met it mid-air. His eyes were still in a daze, but his battle reflexes and training had kicked in and saved his life.

"Come at me, you Chimera rip-off!" Percy shouted, slashing Riptide in a deadly arc across the Crocotta's face.

"I came before that stupid dog!" the Crocotta wailed as it swiped it claws across Percy's arm.

"What's the plan, Annie?" Grover let out a shuddering nervous bleat. "I'd really like to return to Juniper, please."

"Don't call me that."

"Sorry."

"Get them down with vines and take them out. They're like Ares campers, big, strong and stupid."

"It's Clarisse, it's Clarisse," Grover muttered to himself as a motivational mantra.

When the giants charged at them, Grover let out a strange battle cry that was mix between "GAH" and "BLURGH" as he ran at them.

Annabeth leaped off the ground, using the giant's knee as a platform. She boosted herself off and landed with her legs on either side of its neck.

The Laestrygonian roared and desperately tried to buck her off his head, but Annabeth drove her dagger down on his head and hit home. The first giant burst into an explosion of bronze dust.

Annabeth miscalculated the time for it to dispel, and she fell through the air, trying to land on her feet.

She landed in a wobbly stance. She didn't fall down, but a sharp pain shot up her left leg and made her tear up.

Unfortunately, she didn't have much time to recover. Grover had the another giant tied tightly in vines, and was fighting off a second one with weeds.

The last giant beat its chest and dived for Annabeth.

She dodged its fists, but the giant's hand grabbed on her injured leg and pulled down, making her cry out in pain. Her dagger fell to the ground with a loud clatter.

Annabeth desperately scrabbled for a hold on the cement floor, anything to pull herself out of its grip. The opportunity came when she found a crack in the floor and hooked her fingers around it. Annabeth gritted her teeth to brace herself and yanked her leg out of the giant's palm.

She scrambled to her feet and practically dived for her dagger. Her gut told her that the giant was leaping on to her and she slashed out with her dagger instinctively. Sure enough, her dagger sliced through its chest, creating a deep gash where bronze dust began to pour out of.

The giant seemed to look down at its injury in confusion, and staggered backwards before it erupted into dust.

Annabeth blinked the specks out of her eyes, and hurried to help Grover. She slid on the ground, baseball style, and swiftly decapitated the tied-up giant. Its head continued to roll around even when its body was dispersed as dust.

"Ah!" Grover let out an agonising groan when the giant evaded all his vines and threw him across the room. The impact against the wall crushed his reed pipes into a hundred shards that scattered around his slumped body.

"Grover!" Annabeth shouted, trying to see if he would stir. Grover was lying in a heap on the floor beside the wall he had crashed into, blood seeping out from a gash in the back of his head.

The giant in front of her raised a fist to punch her, and Annabeth tried to evade it, but she didn't move far enough, and the right hook caught her in the jaw, sending her flying to the ground.

Annabeth moaned in pain as she struggled to get to her feet. Her head was spinning rapidly, and her vision was shaking. Knowing she wouldn't make it in a head-on fight, Annabeth picked up her dagger and aimed it at the giant's head.

As it turned out, all her knife-throwing classes with Chiron had paid off. Her dagger was sticking out of the giant's forehead in a grotesque fashion. Annabeth stumbled towards the giant and pulled the dagger out of its head, letting the monster dispel.

She winced as the throbbing in her head grew from knocking it against the hard floor. Shaking the dust out of her hair, Annabeth surveyed Percy's progress.

So far, he'd only managed to land two strikes on the Crocotta, since he was mainly parrying and defending. He wasn't beat up too bad; he had a scratch mark across his right arm that was bleeding and caused a red splotch in his shirt. His shoulder was bleeding badly where he had been caught by the Crocotta's teeth, but other than that, he was still running on his feet.

An idea popped into Annabeth's head, and she knelt down to gather the vines Grover had used earlier to tie up the giant. She folded them over each other and cut the ends so she had a strong rope. 

"Grover, c'mon." Annabeth shook her friend. When there was no response, she felt around his wrist for a pulse, and, to her relief, it was there, weak and fluttering, but present.

She reached inside the inner pocket of his coat and pulled out a few ambrosia squares. After throwing a few into her mouth, Annabeth found it easier to ignore the pain in her leg and the bruise on her jaw.

Unfortunately, the Crocotta seemed to notice that she was significantly weaker than Percy due to her injuries. The monster bounded towards her, and Annabeth stumbled back, barely avoiding its teeth. Her dagger parried its claws away with a resounding metallic noise, and she managed to land a cut on the Crocotta's cheek.

"Hey, ugly!" Percy's voice distracted it for a second, and Annabeth quickly slapped her Yankees cap onto her head and vanished.  When she looked down, she couldn't see her body at all. It used to be a strange sensation, but she was long used to it by now.

"Percy, Attack Plan Ringo!" Annabeth shouted.

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you sure?" Percy feinted to the left and dodged the Crocotta's claws. "There are only two of us!"

"Just do it!"

Attack Plan Ringo was a new strategy Annabeth's brother Malcolm had invented. It was added to one of Camp's battle plans only last summer. It usually needed three people, but Annabeth was sure they could hold their own.

Percy kept the Crocotta's attention on him, going on a full offensive. Annabeth knew he was leaving many open holes in his defence (which was what the third person was needed for) which meant that he could only keep fighting like this for a few more seconds before a fatal injury was dealt.

She nimbly swung a leg over the Crocotta's body, praying that it wouldn't notice her presence if it was focused on Percy. Annabeth swung the ropes in her hand like in a bull-wrestling rodeo and wrapped it around the Crocotta's neck. Her left hand held one end of the vines and her right hand held the other end.

She leaned back, pushing with both her legs to acquire maximum strength, and pulled with her arms. The vines were pressing against the Crocotta's throat so tightly that it blocked the windpipe, making the monster choke and growl.

It reared back, and this was essential part of the plan. When the Crocotta reared up on it's hind legs in an attempt to buck Annabeth off, Percy was meant to slide under its belly and impale it from below.

But of course, good luck for demigods was more rare than diamonds. When the Crocotta reared back on its hind legs, the vines in Annabeth's hand snapped, releasing the monster and her.

The Crocotta roared and bucked back even harder than before, and before she knew it, Annabeth felt herself soaring through the air. She turned in mid-air and slammed front first into a wall.

An animalistic scream of agony tore from her lips when a sharp pain tore up her leg. Annabeth lay on the floor, panting rapidly as beads of perspiration rolled down her face.

Through the pain, she heard Percy let out a final shout of effort as he slid under the Crocotta and drove his sword upwards. The monster shrieked as it flailed its claws desperately, knocking an unarmed Percy out of the way.

It collapsed on the ground, leaving Riptide surrounded by swirling dust.

Annabeth closed her eyes and let out a shuddering sigh of relief. It was over.

"Annabeth, Annabeth." She heard Percy calling her name, so she opened her eyes and peered up to see Percy slowly getting to his feet. He winced and stretched out a cramp in his right leg.

Annabeth moves her arms and tried to move into a sitting position, but the sharp pain tore up her leg again, making her whimper.

Once Percy saw that she was alive, he crawled over to Grover.

"Bud, you okay?"

Grover groaned. "Can we go to a vending machine? I could really use a can right now."

Percy chuckled and let out a sigh of relief. "You scared me for bit there."

Annabeth tried to get up again, this time only moving her torso. Every time her leg moved, even for half a millimetre, an almost unbearable pain would put her in a daze again.

Murmuring a mantra of  "ow, ow, ow, ow" under her breath, Annabeth managed to sit up and slide her dagger into the belt loop of her jeans.

Percy, helping Grover limp towards her, knelt down next to Annabeth and checked her for any injuries. "What happened?"

"I got thrown into a wall," Annabeth said with a wince.

Grover wiped the blood on his face away and surveyed her leg.

"I can't move it," she told him. "It hurts too much."

He prodded her shin, which made her yelp, then ran a gentle finger over her knee, which made her cry out.

"What's wrong?" Percy asked. His eyebrows were furrowed in concern, and he had an arm hovering near her protectively.

"You've shattered your kneecap," Grover said finally.

"What?" Annabeth gasped. She sighed in frustration. If she'd just held on tighter...

Percy brushed a piece of hair out of his face. "Will ambrosia heal it?"

Grover nodded. "But it'll take a few days to heal completely. And your knee needs to be in the same place the entire time, or it'll heal wrongly, and then we'll have to rebreak it and then it gets complicated."

Annabeth visibly shuddered at the word 'rebreak'.

"If I can get you somewhere stable and make you a splint, then I can give you ambrosia. I don't want to risk it healing wrongly," Grover told her apologetically.

"We can go back to my place," Percy offered.

"How? I can't walk," Annabeth pointed out.

"I'll carry you," Percy said decidedly.

Annabeth blushed furiously. "No, definitely not."

"I don't think you have a choice," Grover said, hiding the amusement on his face. Annabeth glared at him.

After they argued for a bit more, Annabeth finally relented, and Percy picked her up effortlessly, carrying her bridal style with one arm below her knees, and the other supporting her back. She bit her lip to keep from crying out when he moved her leg, which forced tears to well up in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry," Percy whispered to her.

She shrugged. "You couldn't have done anything. You killed the Crocotta, which was pretty good."

"Well, I couldn't have done it without you," Percy reminded her.

They hailed a cab again, and got in, receiving strange looks from passers-by and the driver.

"Are you hurt?" the cab driver asked Annabeth worriedly.

"Uh," Annabeth hesitated, for once at a loss for words. She couldn't say her kneecap was shattered, because then he'd insist on driving them to the hospital.

"No," Grover cut in. "Um, they're dating."

Percy nodded and awkwardly leaned closer to her, which apparently convinced the driver, because he just shrugged and started driving.

"Ow!" Annabeth cried, burying her face in Percy's shoulder, trying her best to keep her breathing level.

"Sorry, sorry," Percy apologised frantically. He'd knocked her leg against the car door on the way out. "Oh gods, Annabeth, I'm so sorry."

"It's fine," she insisted, though her fingers were gripped tightly together.

When Percy's mom opened the door, her expression changed from delight to confusion to alarm and to concern all in a second. "Per-Oh, Annabeth, Grover...I-What happened?"

"Hey Mom, can I put Annabeth down inside first?"

Sally didn't even look dazed, and immediately made for them. Annabeth remembered all the weird situations that Percy always got himself into, and she silently praised his mother for not freaking out.

"Do you have anything that could make a splint?" Grover asked. "Sorry for barging in, Mrs Jackson, but Annabeth shattered her kneecap, and we need to get it right ASAP."

Percy carried Annabeth over to the couch and placed her down gently.

"It's Sally to you kids," she reminded them. "And I think we have some bubble wrap and some cardboard somewhere..." Her voice faded as she and Grover disappeared behind her kitchen exit.

Percy walked up to the counter and removed the cling wrap off of a plate of blue cookies.

"Trust me, it'll make you feel so much better," he promised as he offered one to Annabeth.

Since she was in an awkward position, Annabeth just opened her mouth hesitantly and took a bite off the cookie Percy held out for her.

Instantly, she let out a satisfied sigh. "Oh my gods, this is heaven in my mouth."

Percy grinned smugly. "I told you so."

"It's just a cookie, Percy."

"Hey, I don't get to say it much, so let me bask in my glory."

"Annabeth, baa!" Grover couldn't hold down his bleat as he clip-clopped towards them with the materials for a splint in his hand.

After her leg was put into a splint, Annabeth let Percy feed her blue cookies for another hour or so. They played a short game of Ludo with Grover, which, even injured, Annabeth still managed to win.

Sally was incredibly welcoming, despite having only met Annabeth once, and she immediately offered them a place to stay. Annabeth and Grover accepted gratefully; they would all share Percy's room.

When Paul, Percy's stepdad and an English teacher at Goode High, got home, he didn't even seem surprised to see another demigod and a satyr in his house. He simply offered to tell Annabeth's parents that she would be staying at their house for the week or so.

Annabeth wasn't sure about whether to be happy or sad that her father didn't really seem to be too worried about her.

By the time dinner was ready, Annabeth could move her leg without passing out from the pain. She still wasn't able to walk, or even limp, so Percy was her designated carrier.

After dinner, Sally suggested that they hang out and do something before they slept. Seriously, she was the coolest mother ever.

Grover suggested Hacky Sack for old times' sake, and Paul said that they could probably play a few more board games before 10.

In the middle of the discussion, Percy leaned over to Annabeth. "I believe I owe you a movie."

Annabeth was reminded of the 'movie date' she and Percy had arranged last summer, which was then interrupted by ahem, Rachel. She guessed this was his way of making up for it.

Percy, Grover and Annabeth ended up watching the 1998 'The Parent Trap' remake with Lindsay Lohan and Natasha Richardson in it.

It was Annabeth's favourite movie of all time because of its wholesome theme and the fact that the parents ended up together, but also because it was the first movie she'd ever watched in the cinema. Her father brought her to see it - this was before he married Helen. She was only 5 years old. It reminded her of good times.

Annabeth snuggled into Percy's side, leaning her head against his shoulder as he wrapped an arm around her. There was a large blanket draped across them, covering Annabeth's legs which were stretched across the length of the couch. Percy was sitting on the left of the couch with Annabeth propped up against his side.

Grover was sprawled on a beanbag on the floor, his eyes glued to the screen as he munched on tin cans that Sally had provided for him as snacks.

"Want one?" Percy whispered as he offered her a kernel of popcorn.

Annabeth nodded, and he threw it up in the air, where she swiftly caught it in her mouth and swallowed it.

And so she fell asleep that night, with her favourite movie blaring, and tucked into the embrace of her best friend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 150 57
Just a bunch of one shots of our fellow hero's of Olympus and some mortals meets , jokes , #1 meetpercabeth 12/5/21 1.01k reads 12/11/21 2k reads 01...
131K 1.7K 81
April 2024: Started Editing Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes or inside the minds of the other demigods? Or perhaps, what becomes of them af...
54.4K 586 14
We all know the classic mortals meet demigods stories, and well, that's exactly what it is. One shot stories of mortals and (spoiler alert!) a couple...
24.5K 256 22
Initially, this was supposed to be a 'mortals meet demigods' but with time it has shifted to one-shot more than anything, still I hope you enjoy! I p...