A Vampire's Marine (boyxboy)

By DoUbLeZone

When a master class vampire decides he wants a certain marine by his side then nothing; not even that marine'... More

Author's Notes
Prologue: Departure.
Chapter 1: Battlefield
Chapter 2: Vamp moods
Chapter 3:Denial, Guilt, Shame...love.
Chapter 4: Kaio's Patient
Chapter 5: Before the present
Chapter 6: The flesh is weak.
Sneak Peek for Chapter 7
Chapter 7: Before the court.
Chapter 8: Decisions
Chapter 9: The spirit of the coven.
Chapter 10: Use of Force.
Chapter 11: His sick bed.
Chapter 12: Plans and Schemes
Chapter 13: Sleep deprived
Chapter 14: We need to talk.
Chapter 15: Recollections of the past.
Chapter 16: Snow White and My Prince.
Chapter 17: While you were away.
Chapter 18: The hunted.
Bonus chapter: Giving in.
Chapter 19: The shapes in the clouds.
Chapter 20: The Ant and his escort.
Chapter 21: Night Life.
Bonus Chapter: All good things must come to an end.
Chapter 22: Consequences.
Chapter 23: Plans and Schemes.
Chapter 24: Dear Rien.
Chapter 25: My brother; the snake.
Chapter 26: Low spirits all 'round.
Chapter 27: Breakfast routine
Chapter 28: Discovery bay.
Chapter 29 : In-flight
Chapter 29 continued...
Chapter 30: Human of the wolf pack.
Chapter 31: As he lay dying.
Chapter 32: My promise to the world.
Chapter 33: My brothers; his saviors.
Chapter 34: In transition
Chapter 35: My Keeper. My Savior. My King.
Chapter 36: Soon it will pass...
Chapter 37: Let us howl at the moon...
Chapter 38: Schemes and Plans
Chapter 39: Betrayal
Chapter 40: Some Are Born Great.
Chapter 41: What lies within
Mini bonus Chapter
Chapter 42: A little bit of your attention
Sneak Peek for chapter 43
Chapter 43: The blue room and the brothers.
Chapter 44: The Universe Has Won.
Chapter 45: Zahir
Chapter 46: The calm before the storm
Chapter 47: Immortality
Chapter 48: In the throes of war
Chapter 49: Target Practice
Chapter 50: Heir to the Throne
Chapter 51: Clandestine Lover
Chapter 52: First Son.
Chapter 53: Kandane
Chapter 54: The S.S. Christoah
Chapter 55: Primary Objective
Chapter 57: Our Future Together
Chapter 58: Sweet Mary
Chapter 59: Brother Dearest

Chapter 56: Damascus and Demetrius

16K 709 136
By DoUbLeZone

Chapter 56

~Rien~

"Tell me what happened."

It was as though I were looking at a different person. Gone was the stoicism, the self confidence bordering on cockiness, his indifference and ever-present traces of anger. Now, he knelt by my bedside like a doting nurse, with his eyes filled with concern, his mouth tight with worry and his hands slightly shaking, as he pressed it against my forehead. It was a new and welcome change to see him concerned for my wellbeing, and perhaps I was enjoying it a tad bit too much.

"Will you stop the smiling and tell me what the hell is going on?" he asked. As predicted, the angry Tony had returned.

"I suppose I should not be surprised at the length of time that change was able to last."

His eyes narrowed, as I knew it would. "What change?"

I sat up in the narrowed bed, feeling a soreness in my body that was as alien to me as the exhaustion I felt in my bones.

"Never mind that. I trust you came to no harm at the hands of my brother and his companions?"

His frown deepened. "They chained me to a bed and talked my ear off. I think I have the right to classify that as harm." He mumbled in obvious anger, and I chuckled at his adorable expression, before reaching up to pat his cheek.

"My little ball of fire." I murmured. He pulled my hand from his cheek and glared at me in exasperation, but I took note of the fact that he did not release my hand, but held it tightly in his.

"Can you please tell me what happened?" he asked earnestly; his tormented gaze meeting mine. "I think you almost died Rien." His voice, though a whisper, shook as he said the words.

"The wolves cannot be trusted." I told him. "I am unable to offer proof, but I believe they may be working in tandem with Kandane."

Tony's brows furrowed. "What makes you say that?"

"The battle lacked authenticity."

"You mean because no lives were lost on their end?" he asked. "I've thought about it too but it's still possible. I mean, the whole thing didn't last very long anyway. Maybe they just got lucky."

He unfurled from his crouch and climbed over me to sit my my side in the small bed.

"No. This was no pathetic human war my love. A battle between beings such as us will always yield fatality. Moreover, it was too well orchestrated; as though each parry and blow between the moon children and the night children was planned in advance." I continued. "Furthermore, the wolves are well trained and well accustomed to raids, yet they were ill-prepared when the blood-drinkers came; it was as though the gates had been opened to allow them entry."

"Hmmm." Tony contemplated. "I guess now that I'm thinking about it, I'm starting to see what you mean."

I nodded. "Did you notice how quickly all fighting ceased when Marcan dragged Kandane's mate into the courtyard?" I asked, and he nodded. "In what true battle would such a thing take place? Wolves and blood-drinkers standing together to watch it all transpire? No." I shook my head.

"We stood and watched." He pointed out.

"We had a direct involvement in the event. What business would the others have had? They were merely warriors who should have been focused on tearing their enemies apart, rather than watching drama unfold in the courtyard."

"But if its true that they're working together, then what was the point of all that? Does a fake war even make sense? And wouldn't they know that people would see right through it."

"Ah, but no one seems to have seen through it. It is simply due to circumstance that I am now thinking of the events which had transpired.  Had we not attended the after-battle meeting with the Alpha and his Beta, the thought might not have crossed my mind." I confessed. "After all, I was far too focused on seemingly far more important matters."

"I think the best question to ask is what's Kandane's end game. What does he want that would prompt him to go this far?"  he asked. I used a finger to smooth the furrow between his brows, and he offered me a tentative smile.

"That I do not know." I admitted. "At first, I thought he was upset that he had lost his place as heir to my father's throne. However, the more I think on the matter, the more I have come to realize that after my father's announcement, his protestations regarding father's rejection was lacking.

"Which means there's a possibility he doesn't care that he lost the right to the throne, but for whatever reason he was making it seem as if he does?"

"Indeed."

Tony shifted, pushing his feet under the bed linens, as he settled into a comfortable position on the bed. When his eyes met mine, the were filled with curiosity.

"He's been promised the throne all his life, and according to you, he's followed in your father's footsteps all these years for the sole purpose of taking his place one day right?"

"That is correct."

"Well I don't know about you, but if I spent centuries preparing for something, only to have it taken away from me by my snot-nosed little brother—no offence—I'd be pretty damn pissed off." he said. "Pissed off enough to get rid of the person standing in my way. Maybe even pissed off enough to take it by force."

I nodded. "In other words, he would have been pissed off enough to pledge war against me and my allies, as well as against my father."

"Yeah."

"But the rules are clear; he cannot take the throne if he murders my father. It would have to come naturally. Therefore, going that route would prove futile."

"Yeah. Which is why I'm thinking that maybe he was telling the truth about not being the one to attack the coven." he surmised. "That's one hell of a coincidence though."

"Hmmm, and on the matter of the war with the wolves, we must remember that he saved your life, and later today he also saved mine. Those are hardly the actions of a blood-drinker enraged at the thought of having lost his throne."

"Unless he had a change of heart like Kaio said."

I thought on this for a moment. "No. I am convinced that he is allied to the wolves, and that the war was planned between them. I am disregarding his conversation with my drudge."

Tony shrugged. "Well the way I see it, the only reason for instigating a fake war, would be to use it as a distraction. Any idea what he'd want to distract you guys from?"

"No."

Tony sighed. "I just don't get it. He gets turned down as heir, threatens to make you pay, he makes good on his threat by bringing a war against you and the wolves, heals me, has a heart to heart with Kaio, withdraws, comes back to heal you and disappears again with Noah and Christophe." He reflected. "What are we missing here?"

"I cannot say. My brother has always been an enigma."

He watched me for a moment with a deep frown.

"What else troubles you?"

"What happened to you? You disappeared last night and came back this morning half dead."

"I could not rest with the thought of the wolves' deceit so fresh in my mind, and so I left our bedchamber merely for a breath of fresh air." I explained to him. "Whilst making my way across the courtyard, I spotted the Alpha, his Beta and a small number of their party leaving the camp grounds; I followed."

"Naturally." He said drily, and I leaned over to place a kiss upon his recently moistened lips.

"It was highly suspicious that the Alpha and his Beta were leaving camp under the cover of darkness. Therefore, I felt it would have been irresponsible for me to remain behind."

"If I had done that back in the day, you'd have called me reckless."

I grinned. "I do not deny that my actions were reckless. I simply chose to ignore common sense for but a night."

"Uh huh. What happened when you followed them?"

"Nothing for a while. They shifted forms and ran for hours. When the morning came, they returned home. It was then that I began to wonder if the wolves are able to communicate while shifted."

Tony laughed. "Why? You think you missed all their deep dark secrets while they were running around as animals?"

The wide smile on his handsome face raised my spirits considerably.  "Well, one thing I am certain of, is that they did not travel throughout the night simply to prance around."

"You're certain or you're guessing?"

"I am utilizing my instincts." I said, and he nodded. When he turned his eyes toward the ceiling in contemplation, I paused in my story telling and allowed him his time with his thoughts.

I flexed my fingers in wonder. The soreness of my joints was a strange sensation indeed, and I pitied the humans who were forced to live with such discomfort. I looked at my Tony, and he glanced at me in turn when he felt my eyes upon him.

"Are you sure they ran back to the camp?"

"No, for when they left, I sensed something strange in the woodlands, and I went to investigate. It was then that I was attacked by a group of unfamiliar hunters." I said. "I fear my pride may never recover."

"So hunters shot you? About how many of them were there?"

"I counted fifteen. I massacred nine and injured three. The rest escaped."

"Jesus."

"Do you think the wolves planned it? Like maybe they knew you were following them?"

"I do not know."

Tony shook his head. "All you supernatural people seem to know is deceit and betrayal." He leaned over me to pick up the tray on the side table beside me. I watched him as he placed it on his lap, and picked up one of the bullets that my brother had deposited there.

"Humans are no better." I told him. "Our negative attributes are simply displayed on a wider and more sophisticated scale."

He smiled upon hearing my words, but kept his eyes trained on the bullet in his hand. He turned it around, paying careful attention to every detail.

"This isn't like any bullet I've ever seen." He commented moments later, and I nodded in agreement.

"Perhaps they are a new breed of hunters. I had never once imagined that I would be felled by mere bullets."

Tony deposited it into the tray once more, and set the tray aside entirely.

"I'm sorry about what happened out there."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

He looked away from me. "I froze. That's never happened to me before. I've dealt with those kinds of situations plenty of times, but because it was you, I froze." He confessed. "I kept thinking that you were going to die, and suddenly I couldn't do anything."

"There was nothing you could have done regardless." I assured him, and he shook his head.

"That's not the point." He said. "When it mattered, I couldn't separate my emotions from the task at hand. That's not acceptable, and it can't happen again."

I smiled, hoping to lighten his mood. "Then I promise you that I shall ensure to dodge any and all bullets in my path going forward."

Tony sighed, and his expressive eyes narrowed into a glare. "Can you please take this seriously?"

"Why?" I asked him. "If the events of the day were to be repeated and you failed to save my life, I would still not blame you. In fact, I find it endearing that you were worried to the point of being incapable. Hearing this confession has raised my spirits considerably."

He did not look pleased with my response. "There were no holes in your clothes. Did you change them?" he continued.

I nodded. "Of course."

"But why?"

"I was drenched in blood and I did not want you to worry." 

Tony shook his head in clear disbelief. "You're crazy, you know that?"

I grinned, but my happiness turned sour at his next words.

"When I heard you screaming I thought for sure Kandane was in here torturing you. It must have been painful."

Though I tried, my shame prevented me from looking him in the eyes when I spoke. "I lost my head for but a moment. It will not happen again. I assure you."

Tony took hold of my hand and squeezed gently. "It went on for hours." He said.

"Yes well, as I said, I was not in my right mind." I explained, pulling my hand from his.

His silence forced me to glance at his face, and when I realized that he was frowning, I attempted a better persuasive route. "In all the centuries that I have lived, I have never—"

"What are you doing Rien?" he asked, and when I finally met his gaze, for once, I could not understand what I saw there. "Since when do you explain yourself?"

"I simply wish to make it clear that I am in no way incapable of keeping you safe."

"I never doubted that you could keep me safe, but in any event, it's not your job to protect me. We're together because of how we feel about each other right?" He asked. "You've seen me at my lowest, so what's so wrong if I see you at yours?"

"Perhaps we should find a more suitable topic." I suggested, as my mood continued to sour, but being as stubborn as he was, he adamantly continued.

"You make it seem as if nothing fazes you; even back then." he said. "Do you think I didn't know it every time you fought with your brothers, or when you were in a shitty mood, or when you were unhappy?

"Do you think I don't know how you felt the day I left for the Army, or how stressed out you were the night Kandane visited you on my birthday all those years ago?" he asked. "I know you like the back of my hand Rien, I always have. Which is why I know that you're afraid of showing any kind of 'weakness,' and that's why I've never said anything, but I would like it if you'd feel comfortable enough to share everything with me; good or bad.

"Very well." I said, meeting his gaze very briefly, before I turned my attention to the tray he had set down on the bed.

He released a sigh, leaned over me to replace the tray on the side table, and slid further under the covers. As I watched him, he folded an arm behind his head and turned his eyes to the ceiling.

"So what happens now? Are you going to hunt the hunters, go after the wolves or go after your brother?"

"None of the above." I said. "Tomorrow we shall return to the coven, where I shall hold court with my father. After which time, I shall aid my people in whatever way I can. Beyond that I have nothing planned."

"And here I thought you were dead set on going after Kandane."

I released a breath. "I am in a state of confusion where my brother is concerned. If he is innocent and I interfere, then I have a feeling the repercussions may be great.

"What if he's not innocent? What if he's planning something terrible?"

"Then Zahir will find a way to stop him, or find a way to alert me of same." I said, and Tony's brows furrowed.

"Last I heard, Zahir was out searching for Christophe."

"Yes, and soon he will find him, if he has not yet done so." I said.

"I'm confused."

"Christophe is now allied with Kandane. I have not a doubt in my mind that Zahir will find him, and when he does, he will attempt to persuade him to leave Kandane's side. However, Christophe's stubbornness knows no bounds, and my brother's hold on him will certainly be firm." I explained, "Zahir will not leave his mate in my brother's hands, and Kandane knows this; we all do, which is perhaps the reason Kandane recruited Christophe in the first place."

"Are you saying he recruited him knowing that he'd get Zahir as a result?"

"I have no doubt. Having two exceptional warriors on his side will give him a great advantage."

"Zahir's been your best friend all your life, do you think he'd really betray you like that?"

I smiled. "It is not a betrayal. He believes his mate is in danger, and if the only way he can protect him is to join Kandane, then he will do so. It is what I would do if backed into such a corner." I said. "If Kandane intends to carry out any grave misdeeds Zahir will find a way to prevent it."

"Don't you think Kandane knows that?"

"Yes. Which is why I now find myself conflicted on the issue of his guilt or innocence. Zahir's presence by his side could mean that his objectives are good."

"I feel like you guys make everything more complicated than it needs to be. As far as I see it, the sensible thing for Kandane to do, is to tell you and your brothers what his plan is. The more people he has on his side, the better right?" Tony inquired. "Instead of going around saying he's good, why not tell us exactly what he's doing so we'll believe and possibly help?"

"My brother will never trust me with his plans; no matter how noble those plans may be."

"Why not?"

"Because he trusted me once long ago and it did not end well."

Tony turned toward me; his head propped in his hand. "What happened?"

I cleared my throat. "Years ago, my he requested my aid in a matter of great urgency..."

............................................

~Decades Prior~

They no longer challenged me. I came to that realization after the seventeenth warrior fell at my feet. There was truly no glory in being the best when the excitement had already worn off.  I looked around the training arena in disappointment, then shook my head. As I walked, I peeled away the gloves from my hands, and stuffed them into the pockets of my training apparel.

The moment I looked up, I spotted Zahir in the stands, and I could not help but grin when I saw the mischievous glint in his eyes. I walked the distance, and he met me along the path.

"Why are you still here? Did my brother not send you to the Far Lands with the others?"

"He did. I will simply arrive a day late."

"If he learns of this he will have your head." I said with a chuckle.

"I know."

"Then why take such a risk?" I asked him. "Please tell me this has nothing to do with the young Lord."

"Not in the least. In fact, Lord Christophe was also asked to join."

I frowned. "Then why are you here wasting your ideal opportunity?"

"Because I have amazing news for you." His smile, when it appeared, was wide and bright. "Lord Kandane has asked for you personally."

I paused, staring at him in surprise. "He wishes for me to take part in his mission?" I asked, and when he nodded, I frowned. "You are mistaken. My brother has had no use for me since I was a fledgling. There is no chance that he would request that I join his incursion."

"How could I misunderstand an order that traveled directly from his mouth to my own ears?"

"I do not understand."

"What is there to understand? For centuries you have waited for your brother's acknowledgment and now you have it. Why do you hesitate?"

"Because..." I shook my head. "What is the mission?"

"We shall travel to the Far Lands where we will break bread with their council. After which time, we will travel to the North and take possession of Camella's lands."

I frowned. "We have no quarrel with Camella's people. Why must we take her lands?"

"Your father has always been ambitious. We do this at his command."

"When they are displaced, where does he expect them to go?" I asked. "They have far more fledglings than we do."

"There are many covens that will take them in Riener. You have never objected before, so why now?"

"Because we will make an enemy out of a clan that has done us no wrong."

"You can attempt to sway your father from this course, but you and I know that it will prove futile. Will you travel with us, or will you remain here ranting and raving to yourself?" he asked with a knowing smirk, and with a chuckle I shoved him away from me. Moments later, we set off.

It was nightfall by the time we arrived in the Far Lands, and as was custom, we waited at the gate for an escort. Zahir, in keeping with his personality, chattered consistently up the cobblestone path, around the large tree than had stood in the same spot for decades, and finally into the well-lit gardens, where the feast would take place.

Heads turned upon our arrival, and we greeted those who approached us, then, as expected, upon seeing the young Lord, Zahir disappeared from my side, and appeared in close proximity to Christophe.

For a moment, I watched him and laughed, for he lingered around Christophe like a stray petal, but not once did he approach him.

"The poor love-struck sap." I murmured to myself, before finally deciding to spare him his agony. I covered the distance between us in four quick strides, and Christophe looked up in surprise when he saw me.

I did not fail to notice the way his eyes lit up at the sight of me, nor how his pale cheeks became tinged with pink. I thought it unfortunate that the young Lord spent his days pining over me, when the beast who longed for him, trailed after his coattails like a sad little puppy.

In all the time that I had lived, I had not once experienced the foolish bubbling of the heart that turned sane blood-drinkers, like Zahir, into mindless fools, and I doubted I ever would. After all, matters of the heart took time that I did not wish to waste.

"My Lord." Christophe bowed low. "I did not know you would be joining us."

"I had no plans to. However, Zahir came to collect me, so I had no choice in the matter." I gestured to my compeer, and Christophe looked to the side, noticing him for the first time since his appearance.

"I see." Christophe said. "I look forward to fighting alongside you my Lord. I have always wondered how it would feel to battle alongside the coven's best warrior, after all."

"Then you must remain by Zahir's side throughout the upcoming incursion, for he is my very best warrior as you know, and I trust him with my own life."

Once again Christophe glanced at Zahir; this time with some interest, and though the interest was miniscule, it was there nonetheless. So, having played my part in moving their strange love story along, I bid them farewell, and made my way across the well-manicured lawn.

"Riener." 

I glanced to my left at the sound on my name, and came to a halt when I saw that it was my brother who had called. One gesture from him to come hither, and I was making my way over to his side. On my face I wore no expression, but in my insides were tight with nerves.

"I was told that you wished me to join your mission."

Kandane's eyes searched mine, and I wondered what it was that he saw there. His expression was as cold and calculating as it always was, and his posture was of course, impeccable.

"Follow me." He said, and like a fool, I did. Being the heir to my father's throne, meant that he was forestalled many times by members of the Far Land council before we arrived at our destination minutes later, but I waited each time in silence, and partook in the many greetings, where appropriate.

He led me into a large room in the quarters he had been granted access to for the night, and he locked the doors behind us; as if any other blood-drinker would dare to enter his living space without his express assent.

"I sent Zahir with the request, but I did not think you would actually come."

"You asked for me and I am here." I said simply.

He gestured to the sofa by the wall. "Have a seat." He said, then made his way over to the large mahogany desk in the center of the room, and sat in the leather chair that stood behind it.

In turn, I took the seat that had been offered, then waited for whatever pronouncement he would make.

"I called you here because there is a matter of great urgency, and I need your help."

I frowned. "The last time we spoke as brothers I was a young fledgling of ten years. You have managed for centuries without any aid from me, so why now do you request my help?"

"Let us not think of this as a meeting between brothers, but rather as a circumstance borne out of desperation."

"Desperation." I tested the word on my lips. "Very well. What is it that you require?"

"There are one hundred and thirty-seven fledglings residing in Camella's coven."

"I am aware."

"Father has given the order to take their lands. However, I have heard from a trusted source, that the leader of the Far Land coven has given his warriors orders to massacre Camella's people."

"Damascus has always been a bloodthirsty fool."

"Indeed. Therefore, I plan to thwart his actions. I have called upon the army from the West Lands to lend aid and they have agreed."

I frowned. "We are set to leave on the morrow, their army will not arrive in time."

"They will. There is a clandestine route leading from the heart of the West Land covens, to the border of Camella's territory. They will arrive long before us."

I laughed. "Are you mad brother? I have scouted these lands many times over the course of a few centuries, and I have seen no such secret routes. It is simply not possible."

"I am telling you that it is Riener. I have seen it with my own eyes and they have assured me that it is there."

I shook my head in abject disbelief at his foolish words. "Why have you brought me here?"

"I need you to lead your own men against Damascus when the time comes. Tonight would be the perfect opportunity to strike against them, but our group is far too small to take on the warriors of the Far Lands without aid from the West Lands."

"Then I will lead my men against Damascus as you have asked. Does this mean that you will use your men to seize Camella's territory?"

"No. I care nothing of Camella's lands. My men will lead her people to safer ground, for they are weak and ill-equipped to handle any form of outside attack."

"You would go against father's wishes?" I asked him.

The dangerous glint in his eyes gave me my answer, and I nodded. "I did not think you had it in you."

He shook his head. "There is much you do not know about me Riener."

I continued to hold his gaze. "Will there ever come a time when you allow some transparency, or do you plan to always be cold and uncaring?"

He smiled, but it did not reach his eyes. "Help me to save the lives of these people, and I swear to tell you the reason for my distance all these years."

I searched his gaze, wondering if I could trust his promises, but after all this time, I still could not read him. "Very well." I said, and he leaned forward in his seat.

"We leave at first light. I trust that you will guide your men accordingly."

"Of course. I will also inform Demetrius of our plans. I am certain he will lend us his aid since he is here."

Kandane froze. "No. Demetrius and his people are visiting for a reason I have yet to learn and I do not believe in coincidences. He may be working alongside Damascus. Therefore, he cannot learn of our plan."

I chuckled.  "Demetrius would never give an order to slaughter innocent blood-drinkers. You have nothing to fear. I shall approach him myself and request his aid."

Kandane stood. "He is a good friend to you and that is why you would think so, but lives are on the line and I do not trust him. Therefore, he must not be told."

"I have known him since my birthing, and I trust him with my life. He will not harm the innocent."

"And now I am asking you to trust me. Do not do anything foolish."

"We may be connected by blood, but I trust him far more than I trust you."

Kandane's fury was quick and unyielding. "I may have been distant all these years, but I have never given you a reason not to trust me." He said. "It matters not how long you have known him, for my instincts tell me to steer clear, and my instincts have not been wrong yet."

"You are making a mistake."

"I do not make mistakes Riener." He said with a ring of finality. "I called you here because I trust you to give the very best aid. Now I need you to carry out that task well without leaking a word of this to Demetrius."

"Very well." I said, and stood to leave.

"The lives of one hundred and thirty-seven fledglings and a great many more blood-drinkers rests on our shoulders Riener. Do not let them down." He said, and with his warning ringing in my ears, I left.

I had known Demetrius since birth. We had trained together, laughed together, exchange secrets with each other, and spoken often of our many dreams and fascinations. He was a being whom I knew inside and out; so much so, that I trusted him with my own life. Therefore, while Kandane had his doubts, I stood firm in my convictions. Demetrius could be trusted, and it would be foolish not to get the aid of his army when so many lives depended on us.

I first sought the counsel of my compeer Zahir, who listened carefully to all I had to say without judgment or interruption.

"We have known Demetrious all our lives. I too do not believe that he would harm the innocent."

"I wish to request his aid. Do you think I should heed my brother or trust my friend?"

"I believe you should do whatever you can to ensure that no innocent lives are lost. The more help we can get, the better it will be for Camella's people. I trust Demetrius. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with requesting his aid."

"Kandane will be furious."

"As long as lives are saved, then how he may feel does not matter." He said. "You know that no matter what you decide, I will support you."

I thought long and hard on the matter for hours after my meeting with Kandane. I weighed our odds and wracked my brain for even the tiniest memory of Demetrius doing any wrong, but found none. It was not a decision that I came to lightly. In fact, it was one so thought out, that by the time that it was made, I was left with no doubts.

There was no guarantee that the West Land covens would arrive in time, for I knew nothing of a secret route, and I knew not whether these allies of Kandane's could be trusted. Therefore, I was confident in my belief when Zahir and I made our way to Demetrious' chambers to plead our case.

As expected, he was willing to give us any aid possible against Damascus, and we were grateful for his kindness. Hence the reason, that it came as such a shock to us to learn many hours later, that Damascus and Demetrius, knowing of our plans, had left the Far Lands under the cover of night, to bring ruin to Camella's people before we could stop them.

By the time we arrived, the devastation had already been brought. The blood of Camella's people washed the terrain; males, females and their fledglings, littered the landscape; beaten, broken and dying.

With my heart in my throat and deep regret buried in my soul, I glanced across the field at Kandane, who arrived but a few minutes later with his army. I watched as he looked upon the disaster before us, and dropped to his knees on the cold, hard earth. The heart wrenching cry that escaped from deep within him, would be tattooed in my mind for centuries to come, but it was the look of utter betrayal in his eyes when he glanced at me minutes later, that would haunt me forever.

.............................................

~Present~

"Jesus." Tony breathed when my story came to an end.

"I will regret my actions for the rest of my life." I said. "And now you understand why Kandane will never trust me again. At the time, I did not think it possible, but after that day, he grew colder and more distant. Today is the first time since then, that he has looked upon me with any sort of compassion."

"You couldn't have known that Demetrius would have sided with Damascus."

"No, but my brother had put his trust in me when he asked me to remain silent, and that is all that matters."

Tony nodded. "So maybe it's time you put your trust in him, and hope that whatever he's doing is for the best."

"I pray I will not come to regret even this."

AUTHOR'S NOTES

THANKS FOR READING!

-FOR UPDATES, SNEAK PEEKS, POSTING DATES AND MORE, VISIT MY INSTAGRAM: doublezone_books

-DoUbLe.A

-unedited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7M 351K 47
Highest rank - #1 in Vampire ** In a world far beyond human imagination, into the deep roots of the vampire realm he ruled. For over a century, he's...
51.9M 2.1M 88
The world had gone to hell long ago, taken over by the vampire race. In order to keep some sort of peace in our land, the Vampire Lords made a consec...
161K 5.9K 68
𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋 π‘π‘πžπš, 𝐚 seventeen-year-old girl, her mom, and her fifteen-year-old brother π‘πšπŸπž moves to a new home 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭...
1.4M 46.7K 89
"You are a long way from home, little wolf." "Stay back, I am not afraid of you." "Oh but you should be wolf, I can be your worst nightmare." He took...