Conspicuous Secrets

By _EmilyClendenin_

"Never, under any circumstances, tell anyone the truth." That was the number one rule. After changing their i... More

Before You Read
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
SEQUEL IS POSTED!!!
"DEEP WATERS" Chapter One is now up!
LIGHTING A MATCH IN THE RAIN_NEW STORY
chapter one__REWRITTEN VERSION
chapter two__REWRITTEN VERSION
chapter three__REWRITTEN VERSION

Chapter Nine

7.6K 261 13
By _EmilyClendenin_

On 6/12/18 I changed the lengths of all the chapters to be more effective in reading and interest. If you don't know where you left off, message me where you were in the storyline and I will let you know what chapter you need to start back at. Sorry for the inconvenience:)

***

My headlights shined through the darkness of the road in front of me, barely helping through the pouring rain. I was driving home in the middle of a storm—not my brightest idea, I'll admit. Even driving slowly, I could barely see enough to stay in the lane. After a while, I heard a rumbling coming from my engine and steam rising out of my hood. I didn't even notice the steam at first from all the pouring rain, but it got to a point where so much steam was showing up that it had me seriously worried. "No, no, no no..." I was still so far away from my house.

The rumbling sound and steam were getting worse so I turned on my emergency lights and pulled off on the side of the road. Zipping up my coat and putting on the hood, I got out of the car. I was pelted with cold rain immediately. Racing to the front of the car, I raised the hood and instantly, my lungs were filled with smoke. I coughed and waved away the smoke in front of my face until I caught my breath. I couldn't even see inside the car with all the smoke, rain and darkness. Thunder boomed around me, making me jump in fright. Lightning was flashing all across the sky. I needed to get home.

Thunder boomed again as I moved to get back inside my car. I tried to block the gunshots out of my mind. Not now. I reached for my phone in my bag and dialed my brother's number. It rang and rang, but he didn't pick up. I tried again, and again, but he never answered. I groaned in frustration, not knowing what to do. My car was in no state to drive. The only other people I had the numbers to call was Marla and Aria, but they wouldn't know how to help. Holden was out on the other side of town doing something with Lucas, so he wouldn't be able to come help.

I got back out of the car and ran to the hood of the car. I didn't know what I was looking at, much less what the problem was or how to fix it. My clothes were now absolutely drenched, along with my hair and face. The harsh wind was preventing my hood to stay over my head, so I finally just left it alone. I flinched at the raging thunder, starting to panic. I wanted to get to safety—away from the loud noise.

Right at that time, screeching tires filled my ears. I watched a car slam to a stop beside my car on the road, then pull off in front of my car. A second later, someone jumped out of the car and jogged to me, holding the hoodie over his head. "What happened?" Kason's voice shouted over the wind and rain.

I shook my head and put my hands on my dripping wet black hair. "I have no idea!"

He looked at the smoke rising from my car and nodded. "I'll take a look at it!" I watched him run back to his car and pull something out of the backseat. He came back with a flashlight and I stood by while he tried to look under the front hood of my car. He coughed a few times from the smoke but seemed to be able to scan the problem effectively. "Your engine overheated, but I don't know what the problem is because the coolant tank is still full!" he shouted. "You need to have a mechanic look at it!"

I mentally cursed. I didn't have the money to pay a mechanic to find a problem and fix it. "Can I drive it home?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

He shook his head and closed the hood. "Not a chance! That would be asking the car to catch fire!" Thunder boomed and lightning cracked. I shuddered in fright and the coldness of my drenched attire. "Do you want me to call a tow truck?"

I shook my head immediately. "No, I don't have the money to pay someone to come and get it! I'll just find another way!"

He nodded. "Get your stuff! I'll drive you home!" The wind seemed to blow harder and the thunder seemed to get louder. I ran to my car and Kason helped me gather my things. Then, we took a run for it to his car and climbed inside. Once we were safe from the rain, a chuckle escaped his lips. "This isn't how I planned my night going."

I smiled. "I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry for."

"Then, thank you."

He started his car. "You're welcome."

We drove for a little bit without speaking a word to each other. All that could be heard was the roaring wind, the shots of thunder and the cracking of lightning. "I can talk to the mechanic downtown and see if I can't get you a discount. The owner owes me a few favors."

I sighed and nodded. "Thanks. I'd appreciate that."

Thunder boomed around us, louder than ever before and it was a gunshot to my ears. Flinching, I tensed and wished that he would drive faster. Lightning cracked, not too far away and I bit back a shriek. "You okay?" Kason asked me, his voice softer than before. I took a mental note that he was really observant.

I nodded, biting my bottom lip. "Yeah...storms and I just don't mix well."

He glanced at me but didn't ask any more questions. I could tell he wanted to, but fortunately, he didn't. I was glad he wasn't going to make me come up with a new lie.

"Why isn't my brother with you?" I asked, changing the subject.

The rain pounded on the windshield and the wipers were moving as fast as they could. "He had to work later than I did. I offered to wait for him, but he said I could go ahead and leave so I could see Lucy before she went to bed. He said he would catch a cab home."

I nodded. "I tried calling him, but he wouldn't answer."

"He's probably just really busy working," Kason assured me. I nodded, knowing he was right.

"I guess we will have to catch a cab to school tomorrow, too."

He shook his head, his brown hair dripping water droplets onto his shoulder. "I'll give you a ride until your car gets fixed."

I looked at him, trying to figure out why he was helping us out so much. "You really don't have to."

He nodded. "I will," he said, not taking his eyes off the road. "If you don't have the money to fix your car, then you don't need to be spending the little money you do have on a cab. I'll give you a ride until you don't need one anymore."

"Thank you. Really."

He pulled into my driveway a few minutes later. The storm hadn't lightened in the slightest. "Come inside and dry off," I told him. "I know you are freezing as much as I am."

His head bobbed, not needing me to beg him. He turned off the engine and we both got out of the car and sprinted to my front door. As soon as I got it open, we both jumped inside, laughing. For a long moment, we just stared at each other drip water onto the old floors of the small house. A genuine smile was on his face and I didn't know why. He was soaked and shivering from the storm we had both stood in.

"I'll go get us some towels," I said before turning down the hallway and walking to the bathroom. I grabbed multiple and brought them into the kitchen, where I found Kason waiting for me by the table.

He accepted a few towels and began drying off the best he could. "Thanks. I tried calling your brother again, but he didn't answer."

Nodding, I happened to glance into a mirror hanging on the wall and my eyes widened. "Why didn't you tell me I looked like a clown?" I exclaimed, seeing the mascara running down my face. He laughed as I grabbed a towel and began wiping off what was left of my makeup.

"Because you don't," he replied.

I looked up at him. In the dark room, his deep-blue eyes were somehow still sparkling. Even drenched from head to toe, he was attractive. Yes, I just admitted he was cute. Anyone would be lying if they claimed he wasn't. Anyone could see it. His smooth skin was scattered with just a few freckles and his chin came to a point. He had high cheekbones that ran parallel to his strong jawline that made any girl swoon. If his full lips didn't catch someone's eyes then his eyes would. They were oceans that lured you in. They were utterly entrancing.

I didn't know if his words were a compliment or just a nice reply, but either way, it made me smile.

#

I woke up to the front door opening and heavy footsteps walking inside. Lifting my head, I spotted my brother heading straight toward his room. "Gavin, where have you been? It's in the middle of the night."

He flat out ignored me and continued into his room that still hadn't been completely unpacked. I chased after him and jumped into his room before he could shut me out. "Go away, Delilah, I'll see you in the morning."

I grabbed his shoulder and turned him around to me. The sight made me gasp. He had a black eye and the majority of his left cheek and jaw was bruised. "What happened?" I demanded.

He shook his head. "Don't worry about it, Delilah. Go to bed."

"Gavin, I'm not leaving until you tell me what happened."

He sighed, knowing very well that I meant it. "A group of guys ganged up and tried to rob me. I got away before they could and jumped in a cab."

"Are you okay?" He nodded. "Do you think it was just a random occurrence?"

He nodded. "I don't think he's found us if that's what you're asking." I stared at his wounds, hating to see my brother hurt. "Don't worry, sis. For now, we are safe."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 14 20
Trigger warning for the following: -mature content -some strong language -fighting -mentions of abuse Everything was cool. It was fine and normal...
1.1M 23.9K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...
3.6M 117K 41
You've got one boy. One girl. One pretty little lie. A perfect relationship. The perfect boyfriend. The perfect girlfriend. The perfect dates. The pe...
51.9K 2.3K 65
**Sequel to "Conspicuous Secrets"** It isn't her own death that Delilah fears. It's everyone else's that she has nightmares about. Charles is after D...