Past's Lovers

By kxkeesic101

Determined to help her friends on the battlefield, Naru takes a shortcut through an unknown dense forest. Bes... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 10

8.3K 318 91
By kxkeesic101

Naruto was prepared to hit the hay after putting Jiraiya to bed, yet she was stopped by Kurama in his human form. "What is it?" looking to her partner in concern.

Kurama nodded towards the back forest. "He's waiting for you. Madara. You should go talk to him before I change my mind." Climbing in Naruto's bed and snuggled in. Waving Naruto to head off. "Put something warm on too. I'll be waiting till you get back."

Naruto looked confused but did as Kurama said and wrapped a woolly cardigan around her frame and slipped on her sandals before treading out of the cottage and deep with the forest behind the place. Walking right into the heart of the forest as she seeked out Madara's chakra signature and found herself near a river with the Uchiha waiting for her on the other side. Stopping at the edge of the river and called over to him. "You were waiting for me?"

Madara nodded. "Indeed, I have been waiting." He saw the moonlight reflect off her hair and lightly gulped. "I've come to apologise. I have lied to you, Naruto."

"What are you talking about?" Naruto frowned in confusion as she folded her arms. The night was cold.

Madara was trying to find the right words to tell Naruto. She was and always will be special to him and knew that she wasn't his from the beginning. "Naruto...I have lied to you. I must ask myself, how do you look at someone you love and tell yourself it's time to walk away?" He held a gloved hand up to stop her from speaking once he saw her small lips part. "I've learnt that your soulmate is not someone that comes into your life peacefully. It is who comes to make you question things, who changes your reality, somebody that marks a before and after in your life. It is not the human being everyone has idealised, but an ordinary person, who manages to revolutionise your world in a second."

Naruto didn't know what say to Madara's words. "Why...why are you telling me this now, Madara?" She whispered in confusion. "WHY?!" Naruto yelled over at him when he didn't answer her.

"You have become my reality, Naruto." Madara whispered over to her with a look of pure longing in his eyes. "My father once told me that the moment people come to know love, they run the risk of carrying hate. I love you, Naruto...but I hate Tobirama. It's etched within my heart and soul. I cannot forgive him for killing my brother, Naruto. Forgiveness is a hard thing to accomplish for me. I love you as much as I love my brother, Izuna. Quite possibly even more. I want to be stronger, Naruto." He placed a hand over his heart as he looked Naruto dead in the eyes. "Strong enough to contain my anger. I only want your happiness, Naruto, yet I want to claim you as my own. I just wanted to say goodbye to you."

"Don't you dare?!" Naruto yelled at Madara when he took a step to leave. She had shocked him by her powerful and demanding chakra and presence. There were tears pooling at her eyes as she clenched her fists into her cardigan. "You can't just say this to me and then leave, Teme! I can see in your eyes that saying goodbye is painful for you. The only time a goodbye is painful is when you know you'll never say hello again..." Naruto wiped her tears away with her palms. Her heart was breaking at this and couldn't understand why. "Why...?! Answer me, Teme!" Naruto demanded the stubborn Uchiha.

Madara shook his head sadly. "I have no home here, Naruto. My clan has already turned their back on me due to the darkness within my heart. I have no home."

"Baka! Everybody has a home, no matter who they are!" Naruto argued. "Wherever someone thinks about you that's where the home is! Even you have a home!"

"Naruto please...don't give me hope." He clutched his head as his temple throbbed painfully. "I don't have much time, Naruto. Please, remember you promise to me. End my life when my darkness takes over, Naruto." He fell to one knee as he tried to push against his inner-self for a while longer. "Stop! Don't come after me, Naruto! I beg you!" Stopping the blonde from crossing the river and looked up to her through pained eyes. "We both knew this was bound to happen sooner or later. I am just glad that I got to talk to you this last time before I go." He saw the tears cascade down her whiskered cheeks and offered a small smile. "Please don't cry for me, Naruto. I want to see you smile one last time." Tossing over a finely woven black bracelet with a single red, black and white bead. "I heard that your birthday is tomorrow. I'm sorry that I won't be able to celebrate with you tomorrow." Checking the skies and saw that it just touched midnight. It was the 9th of October.

Naruto fell to her knees and wiped away the tears as she grabbed the bracelet and tied it on her wrist. Offering a small smile to the Uchiha before her. "You have my word I will stop you one day. I promise. I will stop you." When she saw Madara smile in relief she mirrored his gesture. "Thank you." clutching his gift close to her heart.

"Be happy, Naruto. Though tell me...if we met in better circumstances, would there be a chance...for us." Madara looked deep within Naruto's eyes and stood up by force. Closing his eyes as a tear slipped and joined the water in the river. "I see now. Farewell Naruto Uzumaki." Quickly rushing away from Konoha. Rushing away from Naruto. He couldn't allow the darkness to hurt her while he was still conscious. "Please, live a fulfilling life, Naruto." He whispered to the winds.

Naruto felt her heart throb painfully. "Why does everything hurt?" Feeling herself being embraced by a pair of strong and warm muscular arms. Leaning back into the warmth with a haggard breath. Clinging onto their arms as her vision grew misty. "I don't understand. I don't understand." She repeated.

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice." A deep yet soft voice wafted into her ear in understanding.

Naruto looked up with teary eyes. Barely seeing the warm and understanding chocolate orbs of the Shodai Hokage. "Hashirama...what are we going to do?"

Hashirama held onto Naruto tighter and looked to the bracelet Madara had given her. "I don't know, Naruto, but I have a feeling that only you will be able to stop our good friend."

"You can stop him too." Naruto whispered. "I know you can. You're his best friend."

Hashirama patted Naruto's head. He had watched the entire scene play out from the beginning. At first it was to follow Madara since he was in full battle gear, then he saw him wait at the river patiently for 15 minutes. That was when Naruto appeared. "No matter how hard we try, reality can be cruel to us." He looked down at the blonde that had calmed down and asked her. "I know this may be rude at this time, but I must ask. How do you feel about my little brother?"

"Tobirama makes me feel alive." Naruto whispered with Hashirama picking up a hint of affection in her tone. She was still gazing out to the river's flow. "I can't think properly with him around. I blush a lot and try hard to hide my stutter. My stomach is filled with butterflies and it confuses me at times. I feel hot all over, like a fire spreading inside. My heart beats really fast that it feels like it's going to explode whenever Tobirama is around. I've noticed that my eyes always follow Tobirama or seek Tobirama out in a crowd. I don't mind his bad qualities because his good ones shine through more. It makes me like Tobirama more." Hashirama saw the soft look on her face and was surprised by how powerful and raw the emotion was. It was pure. "I wouldn't mind waking up and Tobirama's face is the first thing I see, just as the last thing I want to look at before going to sleep. At times, I just want to touch him and just be near Tobirama. I don't want to see him in pain. I want to protect him with all I have even though he is a splendid shinobi. And sometimes..." Naruto looked up to Hashirama with a gentle smile that Mito would always grace him. "And sometimes when I look at Tobirama...I forget how to breathe..." Naruto giggled as she looked up to the night's sky. "It's weird right? The way I feel."

Hashirama chuckled a little and patted Naruto's head. "It may sound weird, Naruto, but it is natural. Don't be afraid to look deeper." He stood up and pulled Naruto up along with him. "Come. Let's get you home." Leading the tired blonde through the forest and looked back occasionally to see the sad look in her eyes. 'Madara, you idiot. You really have no class when it comes to women.' Hashirama mused and inwardly promised to help Naruto become happy again by stopping Madara somehow. This was his job as Hokage as well. The village was his top priority when it came to its overall safety. He reached over and ruffled her hair. Gaining a small giggle form the blonde and grinned. "Get some rest, Naruto." Dropping her off at the front door and leaned down to place a kiss on her cheek. "Believe in yourself." He whispered and quickly caught Naruto as she passed out. Picking her up bridal style and carried her through the front door. "Sorry for knocking her out. She would've had a tough time sleeping otherwise." Hashirama apologised as he saw Kurama sitting on the couch in only a pair of white loose pants.

Kurama stood up with a nod and grabbed Naruto from the Hokage. "Thank you for watching over her." Gazing down to his Jinchuriki and saw the red around her eyes. "She may be a bit clumsy and slow, but it's what makes her Naruto. What do you plan on doing with Madara?"

"What I must to protect this village." Hashirama replied with a frown. "I never expected for Madara to turn his back on the village. I wonder what happened." He hadn't heard the conversation between the blonde and the Uchiha. He felt like he would be invading their privacy if he did and simply watched them interact. "She's a good kid." Caressing Naruto's cheek before he nodded to Kurama. "I'll take my leave."

"Night." Kurama muttered as the Shodai left the place. Taking Naruto to her bed and tucked her under as he took off her shoes and cardigan. He sighed and sat on the edge of the bed. Holding Naruto's hand in his as he voiced quietly. "You are far stronger that what you believe, Kit. I know you can end the war. If you could befriend me, the embodiment of hatred, then I believe you can do anything you set your mind to." Morphing back into his fox form and trotted back into the living area. He had a lot of thinking to do.

October 9th Morning: Naruto

Naruto woke up against something muscular and warm. Opening her eyes slowly and found herself in the arms of Tobirama and looked up to see him smirking down at her. Her face turned red as she buried her head into his chest and muttered out. "G-good m-morning."

Tobirama chuckled and brought Naruto closer to his frame. Enjoying how she moulded perfectly with his body. "Morning..." His voice was husky, having just woken up about a few minutes ago in Naruto's bed. He had no idea how he got there till he heard the snickers of Kurama and rolled his eyes. That sly fox. "I believe this is Kurama-san's doing."

Naruto peeked up at Tobirama with an arched brow. "Yeah. His chakra is bubbling." Muttering under her breath. "Baka-kitsune."

Tobirama chuckled and tilted Naruto's head towards him and placed a gentle yet rough kiss on her lips. "I wouldn't mind waking up like this every morning for the rest of my life." Enjoying how her sapphire orbs widen in surprise as her complex resembled a tomato. He smirked and nudged her nose with his. Knowing only he could get this sort of reaction out of her. An innocent reaction. "I love you, Naruto." He whispered against her lips.

Naruto felt her entire body heat up as she covered her face with her hands. "You're an idiot." She muttered. He made her heart go 'doki-doki' and was now more conscious of him. Especially since they were sharing a bed and hew wasn't wearing a shirt. She could feel his sculpted abs against her body. She was so embarrassed.

Tobirama chuckled in her ear and moved her hands out of her face. "Only around you, Naruto." Kissing her knuckles lightly when his eyes caught sight of something new on her wrist. He wouldn't question her about it right now. Being with Naruto like this was...magical. Though his red orbs widen in surprise as Naruto flipped him on his back and she was now straddling hips. He landed his hand on her waist and looked up to her in confusion as she was covering his mouth with one of her hands. He was tempted to lick her hand, but feigned from doing so. He liked where she was right now. She was comfortable with him.

"Sshh..." Naruto hushed as her ears picked up on subtle movements inside the cottage. Looking towards the closed door and heard babbling. Her eyes lit up in joy. "Jiraiya..." About to leap out of the bed and glomp the baby when she suddenly squealed in surprise as Tobirama flipped them over and had Naruto pinned under him. Naruto lightly glared up to Tobirama as she placed her hands against his bare chest. "What the hell, Teme?!"

"Even if he is a child, your attention should only be on me, Naruto-Koi." Tobirama smirked down at her and claimed her lips as his own as soon as he saw them part, ready to argue with him. Inwardly grinning when she kissed him back. He would do this all day if she'd let him. Moaning into her wet lips. "I love you..."

Naruto broke the kiss and looked up into Tobirama's red orbs. She saw the intensity in them as well as the simmering passion. She offered a small smile as she whispered. "I know." Wrapping her arms around his neck carefully as she tested the waters. This was a new thing for her. "I like Tobirama..." Naruto's eyes popped open as she realised what she said and turned into a stuttering hot mess. "I-I mean...y-you're a g-great s-shinobi a-and..."

Tobirama shut Naruto up by hugging her tightly. Resting his head in the crook of her neck and took a deep breath of her homely scent. "I'm so happy right now, Naruto." Hiding the embarrassment from her. Feeling Naruto's fingers weave themselves into his hair. He wanted to stay like this forever. "Naruto..." He called to her.

"Hmmm..."

"Would you like to get some ramen today? You did win the spar."

"Yeah." Naruto grinned and suddenly reappeared by the door as Tobirama was now hugging the cardigan she wore last night. "I'll be with Jiraiya." Quickly rushing out the door before Tobirama grabbed her.

Tobirama rolled onto his back and drew out a long sigh. A small smile touched his lips as his finger traced his bottom lip. "She tastes sweet." He muttered. Feeling like the luckiest man in Konoha at this very moment. He wasn't done winning her over. Even if it took years, he would continue to win her over. Getting out of the bed and quickly got changed before he left the room. Finding Naruto playing around with the infant as Kurama was glaring in jealousy at the child. Tobirama chuckled and gained there attention. "Are we all going for ramen?"

"Just you two." Kurama butted in before Naruto could answer. Plucking the infant from Naruto's arms and transformed into his human form. "The runt and I are heading to the developers to get the film done." Gesturing to the camera and all its film needed to be done.

"Okay then." Naruto kissed Jiraiya's cheek before she did the same to Kurama once she heard him growl in the back of his throat. "We'll be back soon."

"Take your time." Kurama waved Naruto off as she rushed to put some casual clothes on. Gazing to the Nidaime. "Take good care of my Kit, Water-boy. She means a lot to the runt and I." Nodding to baby in his arms that was giving Tobirama a harsh once over. The child was certainly Naruto's future godfather. He always worried for Naruto's romantic relationships and acted as her father at times. It was an odd, but working relationship between the two.

Naruto came out and dragged Tobirama out the door. Cheering about her free ramen as they sped their way through the busy streets. Making their way to the ramen stand with Naruto saying. "Morning, Old man. I'll have a large Miso and Pork Ramen please!"

The old man turned around with a large grin. "Ah, it's good to see you again, Naruto. Beautiful as always." Facing the Nidaime and didn't kick up a fuss. "What can I get you, sonny?"

"Regular beef and eggplant please." Tobirama nodded and took a seat next to Naruto. That bracelet on her wrist was still bugging him for some reason.

"Here ya go, Kiddos. Enjoy ya meal." The old man nodded. Looking to Naruto and asked. "Where's your handsome friend from before? The serious looking one with the black hair."

Naruto looked up to the vendor with a small smile. "Oh? He's out on a mission. A long one too."

"Bring him back here, will ya? He's a good kid ta chats ta about politics and whatnot." The old vendor told the blonde. Seeing the girl smile and took that as her answer before moving into the back room.

"You came here with Madara?" Tobirama questioned the blonde and saw her play around with her noodles. Something was bothering her.

"Yesterday. We came here and ate." She didn't elaborate as her eyes wondered to the gift he had given her. "And talk." There was a dull ache inside of her.

Tobirama hummed in thought before he pointed out. "I can assume he is the one whom gave you that bracelet then." He saw her nod slowly and tried to contain his jealousy.

"It's a birthday gift since he wouldn't be in the village on the actual day to give it to me." Naruto muttered and began to eat her food.

Tobirama choked on his eggplant and looked over to Naruto after downing a glass of water. "Birthday? Today? Why didn't you tell me?" he sighed. "I'm sorry I didn't know or get you anything."

"Baka..." Naruto giggled and shook her head lightly. "It's tomorrow. I'll be 17 tomorrow."

Tobirama sighed in relief and playfully punched Naruto's shoulder. "You had me worried. I thought I was a bad partner already." He saw Naruto looked down at her ramen, but he could see how red her ears were. He smirked and leaned near her face. "Ne Naruto..." Gaining her attention and kissed her on the lips. Making her turn red and pulled back. "I'll make your birthday worth remembering. You'll always remember me, right?"

"Forever." Naruto whispered as she looked him right in the eyes. She gulped. She had to tell him and blurted out. "I'll be leaving the village soon."

Tobirama's eyes widen in shock. His mouth went dry and asked. "You will come back right, Naruto?"

"Of course. When I come back, I'll be back permanently." Naruto promised. It wasn't a lie either. The next time she was in the village, she would be a new born baby. Her heart broke when she saw the relief in his eyes. Leaning over and hugged him tightly. "I won't forget you."

Tobirama chuckled and hugged Naruto back. "I would get mad if you did, Naruto. I'd wait forever for you to return to my side." Pulling back and swore to the blonde before him. "I will wait for you."

"Yeah." Naruto's eyes watered as she smiled happily. She wished that his word was true, but there was no knowing what would happen after she disappeared and he would forget. Would he move on? She would let him go though. Tobirama deserved to be happy.

Kurama and Jiraiya:

Kurama had Jiraiya on a leash as he wondered into the village with the film on hand. Dropping the items off at the camera store and paid for the development. Throwing in a few more bucks for the sale's assistant to place all the photos in an album. He'd have to come back in a few hours to pick up the item and found himself walking with the future Sandaime as Jiraiya was still on his leash. "What's up, monkey-boy?"

Hiruzen followed Kurama around. "I was just wondering; when do you and Naru leave?"

Kurama looked down at the brat. "Dunno. That's up to Naruto to decide. It might be today, tomorrow, in a few months or in a year. Though I have a feeling that it will be soon." Patting Hiruzen's head when he saw him look down. He inwardly snarled. Naruto was turning him into a softie. "I'm sure Naruto will tell you when we leave. She's entrusting you with the perverted toad while we're gone. You shouldn't worry. Everything will work out in the end."

"Even Tobirama-sensei and Naruto?" Hiruzen questioned as he looked up to the feral red head. Honestly, Kurama could pass as an Uzumaki if he wasn't a summons for Naruto or was it a Ninken but a fox? Hiruzen couldn't remember.

Kurama paused with Jiraiya falling over as he wasn't able to move forward. Looking down at the Sarutobi and released a heavy sigh. "That I do not know. Time does things to people."

"Time huh?" Hiruzen mused on Kurama's words. "I guess you're right. I mean, if Tobirama-sensei and Naru are separated for, I don't know, like 5 years or something, either one of them could've moved on and found a new love or died."

Kurama whistled. "That's a big jump. From moving on to death." Kurama shook his head as they began walking again. "Though I doubt moving on will be easy for Naruto. Even if 5 years did pass. You could say that she's...imprinted on your sensei or something similar." The brat didn't need to know that he was telling the truth. Hiruzen didn't need to know that the 5 years was actually over half a century. Nobody needed to know this. "That's right. It's the Kit's birthday tomorrow."

Hiruzen perked up at this. "Cool! I wonder what I should get here! I want it to be unique and special. Only for Naru. Maybe something handmade." He muttered to himself.

Kurama grunted in amusement at this. Just being alive was good enough for Naruto. "Get her something meaningful, brat. Something small that she'd be able to travel with without it getting in her way during a fight."

"Good idea, Kurama-san." Hiruzen nodded. "And then after Naruto's birthday is Jiraiya's! It's going to be a busy week." He cheered.

The trio paused as they saw a flustered Naruto punch a chuckling Tobirama just down the road. They were bickering with one another, but it was light-hearted and enjoyable just by the look in their eyes.

"I've never seen sensei like this before." Hiruzen commented as he watched Tobirama try to hug Naruto with her only ignoring him. Chuckling when he saw how defeated his sensei looked with Naruto's victorious smirk. "Tobirama-sensei is having fun. I've never seen him smile and laugh this much before Naruto came along."

Kurama chuckled when he saw Naruto whack Tobirama over the head. She was so much like her mother. It was frightening. "Love does things to people in mysterious ways. One day you and the perverted baby will understand."

"Do you have somebody you love, Kurama-san?" Hiruzen looked up at the red head in wonder.

"Indeed I do. Her name is Matatabi. A real tough feline that you shouldn't mess with. Her attitude is something else." Kurama shook his head slowly with adoration in his eyes. "I cannot wait to see her one day."

Hiruzen nodded. "I hope you do too, Kurama-san."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.1K 981 32
Naruto has always wanted to be the Hokage but does he really understand what it means to wear the Hokage's hat? Who better to teach him than the Firs...
662K 19.7K 38
After encountering a strange shinobi, Boruto and Sarada are send back in the past. TIME TRAVEL FANFICTION [Completed]{Under Editing}
687 12 1
In which Madara Uchiha loses all his supposed cool, Tobirama Senju is a useless gay in love, Izuna Uchiha doesn't have any kind of control over anyth...
17.3K 282 6
Orochimaru put a seal on Naruto hoping to cut off his connection to the Nine-Tails.This was his mistake.This mistake would lead to Naruto awakening a...