The Mafia's Nanny

By mindsets

A love story about the peace that can be found in our darkest moments, and the people that can help us find i... More

Author's Note
Epilogue
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
A/N
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
THANK YOU

Chapter 15

70.1K 1.8K 296
By mindsets

Here's an update guys!
If there's any mistakes, not just in this chapter, but in the rest of the book, just let me know! Cause I read over the chapters but I do sometimes miss spelling mistakes, auto-correct, etc... so just drop me a comment.
Happy reading :)

~~

Alessandro

Her tipsy body moved with the paintbrush and I could have sworn I heard quiet hums coming from her mouth.

I'd stand there forever if it meant I could watch Eva in such a peaceful daze – doing what she did best, and looking beautiful while doing so, even if her back was facing me.

Even if I couldn't see her face... I knew she was beautiful. The happiness on her face would undoubtedly shine through her gorgeous eyes and reflect through her vibrant smile while the brush caressed the paper.

And then I remembered how she wasn't speaking to me, and my heart immediately dropped to the pits of my stomach.

My reminder that I had hurt her with my ignorance. My reminder of how much of an idiot I was.

All I wanted to do was wrap my arms around her, observe her talents, discover the depths of her soul and compliment every single thing about her. Just to see her face light up at my words.

Just to see her happy because of me.

But I couldn't possibly ever do that – at least not right now.

"Alessandro." Her delicate voice snapped me out of my thoughts and my eyes shot up, only to see that she had turned around. Her facial expression was a mix between confused and challenging. "Why are you in my room?"

I found myself shuttering under her narrowed gaze. "I-I was just seeing if you were still awake."

Why the f*ck was I stumbling over my words? The realisation of weakness washed over me and I immediately cleared my throat, steeling the softness of my face and looking at her with stressed eyebrows.

"It's not that late." Her tone was clear and contained slight interest.

"Right." I rapidly responded. "Well I was just going so-"

"No," her voice was quick and stopped me in my tracks. I slowly looked over and my eyebrows knitted together in confusion until her voice came again, in a hushed whisper. "Stay."

"You want me to stay?"

A few strands of chocolate-brown hair fell to her face in the most graceful way as she nodded slowly. "Rosie got some equipment for me," she spoke, wiggling her index finger in the direction of her bedroom desk where the rest of the equipment was. "I don't know where she gets all her thoughtfulness from."

A chuckle rumbled through my body with my eyes glued to the equipment. "I don't think anybody does."

We both kept silent after those short words that we shared. The only words in the last three days.

Eva had her eyes on me but she looked as though she was in deep thought... debating, thinking, reminiscing. I worried about her instantly. Like she was precious and fragile – the mere thought of pain being unacceptable in my eyes. What is going on in that head of yours, Eva?

As I looked behind her, I noticed the painting clearer.

It was broken-up and clearly nowhere near finished but I could see the outline of an oval-shaped face with small details around like strands of brown hair and parts of eyelashes that had been carefully painted with midnight-black paint.

It was a person and by the length of the eyelashes, I presumed it was a woman.

"I never knew you painted." I stated with a raised brow.

"It's always been a passion," she chuckled with a nostalgic smile, looking over her shoulder to admire her work. "But I haven't actually painted in years."

"How come?" I asked with my voice becoming slightly higher at the end.

Her small shoulders raised and then dropped back down. "I guess I never found the time... never had the right atmosphere."

But this was the right atmosphere... my Estate. The place where I lived and breathed and slept and spent my days.

And that told me that Eva felt comfortable here. It told me that she felt like she could be free and do what she pleased – like this was her home. And I had to admit that when she was looking into my eyes with her pink lips stretched in a soft smile and her melodic voice echoing in my ear.... I also felt at home.

"Is that you?" I questioned, my index finger hesitating to point at the painting.

Though it wasn't finished, it did look like Eva at first glance.

It took a while for her to respond. Her eyes were glued to the painting but it's almost as if she was observing it before answering my question. Almost as if she was hesitant to answer. God, I hoped I hadn't said the wrong thing again.

"No," she suddenly spoke, her eyes moving back to my face and her voice briefly pausing. "It's my mother."

My heart throbbed. The hidden agony in her voice was clear to me. Perhaps not to anybody else but I knew when somebody was enduring pain and to say those words, I could see that Eva had to gather her deepest strength.

But it made me appreciate her even more.

"She's beautiful." I rapidly responded.

"Wait until I've finished the whole thing." Eva spoke with eyelashes batting at me. "Then you'll really think she's beautiful."

But I already knew that she'd be stunning. From the small parts of what I had heard of her, and from the beauty that radiated off Eva – I knew without a shadow of a doubt that the woman that brought her into this world would be gorgeous. In fact, beyond gorgeous.

And clearly Eva thought highly of her.

"I can't wait to see it." I whispered with a content smile.

Eva gave me the same kind of smile back. An appreciative smile. One that told me that she was grateful I was letting her talk about something that meant the world to her.

And then her face gradually began to drop. Into a thoughtful state but I knew the words that she was anticipating. "I want to talk about the other day."

Right to the pits of my chest. My heart burnt like fire and dread washed over me. Why couldn't this oblivious, innocent moment last forever?

"I didn't mean to snap at you like I did," she told me but I could still sense the strength that held each of her words. "It's just that you hit a sensitive part of my heart... of my past."

A guilty sigh left me. "I know that I hurt you, Eva. And I can't even explain how sorry I am."

Her eyes were forgiving and merciful; ready to listen with carefulness, and ready to finally put my mistakes behind me. Something that many found difficult.

"Every time I see your eyes casting down at the table or when you pass me by, guilt runs through my veins."

For a brief moment, her eyes looked to her feet and then right back up at me. "I forgive you, Alessandro." Her voice was sweet. "I know you'd never intentionally hurt me."

"Never."

A small smile spread across her beautiful face and I felt my heart sing at the joy that was radiating off her features. I craved that kind of happiness from her, wanted that smile on her face constantly.

And I swore to myself that I wouldn't ever take it off her face again.

"So tell me," I began to say, leaning on the desk and looking at her. "How did this painting passion come along?"

The feeling of knowing her was overwhelming. Every single little thing about her – I wanted to know it, wanted to memorise it.

"My mother got me a painting set when I was a little girl and I just fell in love, I guess." She told me with her voice softening with nostalgia. "Painting sets me free from the world."

Like a beautiful bird.

"I can't believe you never told me." I told her with my tone surprised, my hands resting upon the hardness of the desk.

"I guess it never came up." Her shoulders shrugged lightly.

More like because I didn't care to ask.

I wanted to bring up her pain, her agony... but something inside told me that it was too sensitive. Too soon.

And then what did my mouth go and do?

"Eva, tell me about your pain."

It definitely took both of us off-guard. Her eyes shot up towards me and I gulped in recognition of my words. At times my mouth blurted things out that every inch of my body regretted straight away.

"W-What do you mean?" Her voice was low and croaky. Clearly surprised by my sudden outburst of words.

"I want to know why I exactly hurt you," I whispered softly to the sweet girl infront of me. "I want to know everything. Not just the small details. Absolutely everything."

Her eyes were slightly larger than before – most likely in shock – as I stared at her with intense emotion. Begging her to open up. Pleading for her to let me in...

"I don't want my-" Her words became croaky and quiet before they came to a halt. And then I noticed how her eyes began to water, small droplets forming in the gorgeous orbs that I had known for such a short time yet adored so much.

My heart and mind leaped up. "Eva..." I cautiously spoke, taking a slow step forward. But her hand flew out and stopped me in my tracks.

"Its okay, Alessandro..." She quickly sniffled, slight redness colouring the skin around her eyes. Another sniffle left her body before she looked at me straight in the eyes. "I'll tell you."

What have I done? "I don't want to force you-"

"I'll tell you." She repeated with her eyes stern and serious.

I decided against saying anything more. I'd let her speak and tell me what she wanted.

She inhaled a sharp breath and then shuffled in her seat. "My father was always a violent man. Not when my mother first met him – but he always had a bad temper, and then he became an alcoholic when I was born. It made him even worse than before. He'd come home late when my mother had to care for a newborn child on her own, and in the process, he'd argue with my mother constantly. I'd hear them screaming at each other. Every night, she'd storm downstairs with tears steaming from her face. It broke my heart... and then I began to notice bruises on her arms and chest. That's when I realised that the arguing had gotten serious."

My stomach felt sick at the thought of Eva having to endure something like that... for her mother to have to endure something like that.

"But she stayed with him and sometimes I wonder whether it was because of me. Maybe she didn't want to hurt me so she sacrificed her own happiness." Eva told me with small tears trickling down her rosy face. "It just hurts to know that I was possibly the reason why she had to go through so much agony."

Her hands went up to her face and she wiped the tears away, making my heart clench in my chest.

Seeing her in such a devastated state made me feel as though I would do anything to make her happy... anything to make my sweet Eva smile again.

"It's not your fault." I whispered softly, taking her shamelessly into my arms and holding her quivering body against my chest. "She loved you. She would have done it, no matter what."

Her sobs were muffled against my broad chest and I just held her closer. Our bodies pressed together in the most peaceful way as I comforted her. It was the position that I would have stayed in forever; her body engulfed in mine as I calmed her tears.

Finally she pulled away from the hug and left my body wanting more. But I let her go as she wiped the remains of the tears away and looked up at me.

"One night, when I was only thirteen years old, I came home and I found my mother on the living-room floor..." Eva began to croak again, the tears streaming from her beautiful eyes. "She was dead. My father nowhere to be seen... just her lifeless, bloody body on the floor."

The image of Eva screaming over her mother's body flashed in my mind. The tears that were falling down her face; the horror in her eyes; the way her heart shattered right in her chest... it made me feel sick to the stomach.

And suddenly I wanted to kill. I wanted to murder her father for everything he'd done to her; I wanted to put an end to her suffering, though I knew that the pain of the death of her mother was surely impossible to get rid of.

But I'd chase the possibility my whole life if it meant there was a small chance.

I'd kill everyone in my path if it meant the destination would be eternal happiness for the girl that had taken over my whole life.

"I don't expect you to say anything, Alessandro." Eva spoke when I was clearly speechless. "I understand that it's a lot to take in."

If only she knew how much pain I truly understood...

"I understand completely... it's just shocking to know that you had to suffer through that." I told her with honesty lacing my tone.

Her head briefly nodded before she looked down – most likely in shame, though I would never judge her.

"I'm sorry, Eva..." I spoke in a hushed voice. And I wasn't exactly sure why I was apologising. Maybe for her pain, maybe for hurting her previously, or maybe for how I didn't ask her about her pain before.

But I was sorry. That's all I knew.

"You don't need to be."

"But I still am."

A smile smile played on the corners of her mouth. Her eyes were still glassy but they were filled with more happiness now. More happiness now that I was being vulnerable. Apologising to her... almost submitting to her.

But I'd let myself be. Just this once.

"You're sweet, Alessandro." Her face was softened and content as she stared at me with tipsy eyes. Her words went straight to my heart and I felt it stutter in my chest.

There weren't any words that passed my mouth. I couldn't seem to gather what I needed to say, so I just looked back at her and smiled peacefully. Enjoying the moment that usually faded quicker than I could notice it.

Her eyes drifted behind her towards the painting but my eyes were rooted on her. Completely and utterly transfixed by the image of her.

"The painting should be finished within a few days." She told me with an absent-minded smile. Then a small chuckle left her mouth. "But you'll have to be the second to see it. I promised Rosie that she could be the first."

"As long as I see it." I responded with a neutral tone... a soft tone.

Her head bobbed in a small nod before her elegant body rose up from the seating position and stood infront of me. Her eyes locked with mine, our bodies having some room apart but I still felt her warmth. "And what about yours?" She whispered with her eyes drifting down my body before setting back on my eyes. "What pain do you possess, Alessandro?"

The way her tongue dragged my name slowly made chills run through my body. Excitement coursed through my veins and dare I say I became needy under her gaze. But her words hit me right in the sensitive parts of my soul. "I have pain in every aspect of my life, Eva."

Her eyebrows furrowed up at me innocently. "In every aspect?"

Sweet girl but far too oblivious.

I was the Italian Mafia Boss and she didn't expect darkness to be in every single part of my life – in every single corner of my mind, my heart, and my soul.

It made me chuckle to myself sarcastically and clearly she caught on.

"Why are you laughing?" Her arms slowly crossed over her chest and she raised an eyebrow. Clearly she was trying to be angry but cuteness radiated off her face.

"You." I simply told her with another chuckle. "You think everything is sunshine and rainbows."

My words were sarcastic but my tone was gentle. She knew that I was only playing around and I could see it in the way her eyes glowed. And then her face twisted into mischief. "Well, why can't it be?"

A big laugh rumbled through me. Oh, my sweet, naive Eva.

"Stop laughing at me." She giggled, balling her hand into a fist and hitting my broad chest, only for my hand to grasp hers and keep it there. Surprise flashed on her face but she didn't flinch nor did she hesitate.

We locked eyes and I sighed to myself. "I want you to promise me something, Eva."

Both of her eyebrows raised in expectantly.

"I want you to promise that if you have any problems whatsoever," I began to say, taking both of her hands and holding them. "That you'll tell me. Every single one of your problems, every single thing that bothers you... I want to know about them."

Her eyes gazed into mine – almost as if she was searching for honesty. "You care about my problems? No matter how bad they are?"

Without a shadow of a f*cking doubt.

I nodded at her and my eyes pierced into hers.

"And you won't let me down?" She asked with her eyebrow raising but her voice remaining soft. It hurt me that she even thought of the possibility of disappointment...

"Do you trust me?"

Her eyes searched mine once again but I let her. I allowed her to search within the windows of my soul, taking whatever she needed from me. All I wanted was her trust, her love, her care... and hell, she made me feel weak but I was willing to be weak for her.

Just her.

She was the first woman that had come into my life since she left and I couldn't get enough of the feelings that she gave me. Both of us were up-and-down but I knew that what I felt for her, was real.

I just needed to know that she felt the same.

Her lips moved upwards before the words left her mouth. The words that danced straight towards my heart, with our hands entwined in the silent room. Her eyes locked with mine; her heart beating with the same rhythm as mine; our bodies welcoming one another.

"I trust you, Alessandro."

~

Okay....This is sweet. Like beyond sweet. My heart feels like it could just EXPLODE in my chest.... but anyways, hopefully you guys feel the same. Cause #AlessEva is just ASDFGHJKL.

Let me know your thoughts and I'll see you next timeeee <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

590K 38.8K 52
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
2.7M 59.9K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
551K 22.4K 68
Lilly found an egg on a hiking trip. Nothing abnormal on that, right? Except the egg was four times bigger than supposedly the biggest egg in the wor...
886K 21.3K 43
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...