Yu Yu Hakusho: The After Years

By AbbyDavis6

Set 20 years after the events of Yu Yu Hakusho, The After Years focuses on Yusuke's daughter, Rieka, and Kuwa... More

Episode 1: Special Delivery
Episode 2: A Human Enemy
Episode 3: Close Spaces
Episode 4: Life with the Urameshis
Episode 5: A Familiar Face
Episode 6: Reunion
Episode 7: A Vengeful God
Episode 8: Avoidance
Episode 9: A Kindly Face
Episode 10: A Close Shave
Episode 11: A New Clue
Episode 12: A Snowstorm in Summer
Episode 13: Kurama's Training
Episode 14: A Faded Memory
Episode 15: A New Mission
Episode 16: Underground
Episode 17: Awakening
Episode 18: Life Given, Life Lost
Episode 19: Return to Genkai's
Epsiode 20: The Hunter and the Egg
Episode 21: More Than She Seems
Episode 22: The First Lesson
Bonus: Scarlett and Kurama
Episode 23: Omen
Episode 24: A Favor
Episode 25: Train to the Tournament
Episode 26: Arrival
Episode 27: Team Kabuki
Episode 28: Meet Team Faustus
Episode 29: A Shocking Conclusion
Episode 30: It's Not Touya
Episode 31: Zombie Boogers
Episode 32: Out of Sight, Out of Mind
Episode 33: Under Lock and Key
Episode 34: Things get Dicey
Episode 35: The Dog Days Have Just Begun
Episode 36: Scarlett's Dreams
Episode 37: Mike
Episode 38: Polygraph
Episode 39: Familiar
Bonus 2: Kurama and Scarlett
Episode 41: Team Seikatsu
Episode 42: Fire and Ice
Episode 43: To the Roof
Episode 44: Icestorm
Episode 45: Shadow
Episode 46: It's All Downhill from Here
Episode 47: Scarlett's Worst Memory
Episode 48: Hidden
Episode 49: Chocolate
Episode 50: Puppy-Dog Eyes
Episode 51: The Conversation
Episode 52: They Go to the Match
Episode 53: The Final Fight Begins
Episode 54: Hand of God
Episode 55: In the Smoke [Part 1]
Episode 56: In the Smoke [Part 2]
Episode 57: Bang
Episode 58: A Brave New World

Episode 40: The Reveal

79 3 0
By AbbyDavis6

Kurama broke the silence, "How could that be? The Makaichu insects are only indicative of the first phase of a portal opening."

"We believe there's some sort of barrier containing it. If for nothing else than to prevent us from detecting it until it is too late," Botan explained.

Everyone's eyes darted to Ayame, who was studying the floor, her teeth set on edge.

"I don't suppose you know anything about that, eh?" said Yusuke.

Ayame scowled at Yusuke with a murderous look, but said nothing.

Hiei cracked his knuckles, "Apparently if she says anything, or cooperates with us in any way, they are threatening to kill her brother."

"And I'll bet you know quite a bit, given you seemed pretty familiar with the little fellow who did this to me," said Scarlett. Her voice wasn't cruel, if anything, she sounded sympathetic. Ayame could not meet her gaze, "But it remains that there are two possibilities we must face: first, that they know you have been compromised, and your brother is already dead. Second, that they need him for something, and were bluffing to silence you and ensure your cooperation. I sincerely hope it's the latter, but either way, you've served your usefulness to them. If a hole to Makai is truly about to open up, a lot more people than your brother are going to die."

Ayame hung her head, but her shoulders began to shake, as if she were fighting back tears.

"Talking to her won't work," said Hiei, flexing his right hand, "but I have ways of making her talk."

Rieka gently grasped Hiei by the forearm and shook her head. Hiei looked a little deflated just then, and crossed his arms, then leaned against the wall and said nothing further. Ayame mumbled something, and while no one else heard, it was enough to make Gadget stop struggling and look up at her.

"What? Couldn't catch that," said Yusuke.

"Yokai don't eat hybrids," Ayame said, a little louder, "I knew about the hole, Gadget didn't know anything. She's still too young. But they told us yokai don't like to eat hybrids. That's why they bred us. To replace the humans after they're gone. Was that a lie, too?"

Hiei stood a little more upright, "Well, it's true yokai don't like to eat hybrids, but I can't say what would happen if one got really desperate."

Yusuke scratched his chin, "Yeah, well, my old man tried to eat me right before he died."

"Really?" said Rieka, shocked.

Yusuke shrugged, as if this were a casual fact, "He died of starvation. He was mad with hunger when he tried it. But I could bet if I were fully human he might have broke then and done it."

Kurama knit his brows together, "While not all yokai eat human flesh, there are some that can subsist on nothing else. It would take quite some time, but I imagine they would die once the stupider yokai hunt the humans to extinction. Though hybrid flesh is abhorrent to them. It would be like--I don't know how to compare it--eating shoe leather or something, I suppose. Technically edible, but seen as disgusting and lacking certain nutritional value."

"How flattering," Hiro deadpanned, "I've always pictured myself as highly nutritious."

A bell sounded then, and Hiro and Rieka's heads whipped around to see what it was.

"Don't tell me," Scarlett groaned.

"What is it?" asked Rieka's.

"It's a warning gong," said Kurama, "The next match is starting in about 15 minutes, and I believe your team is up."

Scarlett shook off Kurama's arm and stood on her own, albeit unsteadily.

"You can't seriously be considering fighting," Kurama protested.

Scarlett gave him a wry smile, "Well, it looks like two of our team members are out of the running, and we can't let Rieka and Hiro go on their own. I recover quickly, I'll be alright."

"She's got a point," Yusuke said, "and forfeiting isn't an option for them."

Kurama sighed, "I hesitate because one of the effects of the drug withdrawal is terrible hallucinations. You could very well be reliving the worst memory of your life. I wouldn't want you to get too upset during a match." He said the last few words with added gravity, and Scarlett and Kurama exchanged a look as if communicating something only they understood.

"Well, that could be problematic," Scarlett admitted.

Kurama slipped a small, paper packet into her palm, "The medicine I made should help alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. I know you just took some, but you should take some more after the first match and before your  own, just to be safe. I trust you'll be going third?"

"Sounds like it's doctor's orders," Scarlett said with her usual easy smile.

"I recommend mixing it with some hot water--it'll go down easier."

Scarlett threw an arm around his shoulders, saying, "Thanks," audibly. In a quieter voice, she whispered, "and don't worry, that little incident back then with you--you are not my worst memory. In case you were wondering." She parted with him then, and left with the others, the light dancing in her grey eyes all the while.

"Geez, are Americans really all so touchy-feely?" said Kuwabara as they left.

Kurama chuckled lightly, "I'm afraid she's something different altogether."

Yusuke clapped Kuwabara on the shoulders, "I don't know about you, but I want to get an even closer seat now that I know they're fighting."

"Heh heh, yeah," Kuwabara admitted, throwing his shoulders back in a confident, yet nonchalant pose, "Hiro was really something out there, wasn't he?"

Yusuke scoffed, "He fell out of the ring the first match and was nearly knocked out the second. Now Rieka on the other hand, she landed the winning blows!"

"She wouldn't have won that last match without Hiro's help! The guy slipped on the ice after all."

"Are you two actually bragging about your kids right now?" chided Botan, "I thought you'd be furious!"

"Oh we're mad, and we can't show them we're proud," said Yusuke.

"But we're proud all the same," said Kuwabara, before following Yusuke out of the room.

Hiei's eyes flicked to Botan and Koenma, "You two might as well go too. It's not as if you'd be any use if one of these prisoners escaped," he jerked a thumb to Ayame and Gadget.

"Well, if you insist," said Koenma, getting up to leave, "there was some tasty-looking grilled squid at a stand near the stadium..."

Botan gave them a half-hearted look before following suit.

"So," Hiei said to Kurama, "What'd you do to that girl to make you think you were her worst memory."

Kurama looked to the two girls on the sofa. While Hiei had the supernatural hearing of a yokai, he supposed, as hybrids, they didn't. In any case, the matter of his last, botched theft had been a matter of public record now, based off the records Koenma had given him.

"The short of it is: I attempted to cut out her eyes to sell them to a collector who specialized in rare body parts."

"I admit, I'm more interested in how you managed to botch something so royally when you're normally so careful. I hear she's S class, but so far I haven't seen anything all that impressive."

Kurama sighed and crossed his arms, "I thought the same thing at first, but the truth is I got sloppy."

Hiei scoffed, "You always seem to get hurt when you want to examine things too closely."

Kurama laughed softly, "That's true, and she did interest me on an intellectual level. But the root of it is, though I didn't realize it until quite recently, is that I let my guard down because I was in love with her."
————————————————————————————————————————————————
Thank you, as always, for reading! I'm including a bonus chapter in this update about Scarlett and Kurama as a (belated) thank you for the 1k reads. It will tell a little about their past from Kurama's perspective. However, if you choose to skip the bonus chapter, the rest of the story will still make sense without it! I hope you enjoy it :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 170 59
This is a sequel to my other yyh fanfic book 'A Warm Compassion'. The Next Generation of Team Urameshi's family group. Please read that first before...
3.1K 152 43
Many things happened during these years. Events which cause us to rise or fall, laugh or cry, make us love or hate something or someone, in other wor...
454 11 10
A 90's Anime couple. (Yusuke and Keiko) from Yuyu Hakusho.
3.9K 177 14
β†³π‚πŽπŒππ‹π„π“π„πƒ ΰΏ”*:ο½₯ 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 π‡πŽπ‹π„ 𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 Ν™βΊΛš*ο½₯ΰΌ“β˜Ύ 🍢 β˜½ΰΌ“ο½₯*ΛšβΊβ€§. *·˚𝐊�...