Thrive in Catastrophe by 焦糖冬瓜

Galing kay dealeigh

In the future the world has been ravaged by the Comet Virus. Most of the world's population has been infecte... Higit pa

Ramble
Aftermath
Come Back Alive
Chapter 3 Accidental Kiss
Chapter 4 Wish You A Happy Life
Chapter 5 Hiking
Chapter 6 Why Don't You Kiss Him?
Chapter 7 Simulation Driving
Chapter 8 You Two Have a Great Brain
Chapter 9 Did You Miss Me
Chapter 10 Fantasy
Chapter 11 Ocean
Chapter 12 Trap
Chapter 13 Claustrophobic Escape Pod
Chapter 14
Chapter 15 I want to...Unrinate
Chapter 16 Two Requirements of Maya
Chapter 17 How Is My Hair?
Chapter 18 Brothers
Chapter 19 About Immortality
Chapter 20 Heated Swimming Pool
Chapter 21 Xiao's Death
Chapter 22 Living or Dying
Chapter 23 I Will Teach Him To Be Powerful
Chapter 24 Fall or Flight
Chapter 25 King Kong Barbie
Chapter 26 It Is Dangerous Here
Chapter 27 I Want To Die In His World
Chapter 28 I Can Take You Away
Chapter 29 You Cannot Die
Chapter 30 Learn To Heal Yourself
Chapter 31 Cherries
Chapter 32 The Test
Chapter 33 Put Your Head In a Jar
Chapter 34 Nobody Can Kill Me
Chapter 35 The Successor
Chapter 36 Want To See Who It Is
Chapter 37 Do You Know Why I Kiss You Here
Chapter 38 A Second Later
Chapter 39 What Is So Special About You
Chapter 40 (Part 1) You Said Heine
Chapter 40 (Part 2) It Must Be Done
Chapter 41(Part 1) What Does Time Matter
Chapter 41 (Part 2) Do You Believe In Me
Chapter 42 Don't Take Risks With His Life
Chapter 43 Terrible Creatures
Chapter 44 I Am Also A Monster
Chapter 45 Faster Than You
Chapter 47 He Wants You
Chapter 48 Who Were You Thinking About
Chapter 49 Don't Be Afraid To Fall
Chaper 50 Blue Eyes
Chapter 51 I Fear...
Chapter 52 Are You Going To Quit
Chapter 53 Striptease
Chapter 54 The Ice Cracks
Chapter 55 Stronger
Chapter 56 Hermit Crab
Chapter 57 The Promise
Chapter 58 Xiao Yan's Determination
Chapter 59 Comet's Home
Chapter 60 Your Own Battlefield
Chapter 61 Can Anyone Beat Them
Chapter 62 NoRestraint
Chapter 63 Paralyzed
Chapter 64 Where Is My Brain
Chapter 65 Did You Really Think I Would Not Hurt You
Chapter 66 Total Recall
Chapter 67 What Did You See
Chapter 68 It Is Finished
Chapter 69 Change Your Fate
Chapter 70 Everything You Love
Chapter 71 How Human...
Chapter 72 The Little Mermaid
Chapter 73 Xiao Yan's Defense Mechanism
Chapter 74 One Of My Kind
Chapter 75 Everything
Chapter 76 Heine's Anguish
Chapter 77 Focus
Chapter 78 Brain Killer
Chapter 79 Ordinary Woman
Chapter 80 Reboot
Chapter 81 Restore
Chapter 82 The Bet
Chapter 83 The Door
Chapter 84 Do You Hate Me
Chapter 85 The One I Trust the Most
Chapter 86 I Know You Love Me
Chapter 87 Gentle
Chapter 88 Bait
Chapter 89 Trap
Chapter 90 Emergency Meeting
Chapter 91 Falling Sky
Chapter 92 Last Hope
Chapter 93 Best Bait
Chapter 94 Don't Look Back
Chapter 95 This Is How We Came To This World
Chapter 96 Goodbye
Chapter 97 Destroyer
Chapter 98 Part 1 Fire
Chapter 98 Grave
Chapter 98 Part III Freedom (Last part of 98)
Chapter 99 New World
New Beginnings

Chapter 46 Butterfly Effect

34.2K 976 377
Galing kay dealeigh

Xiao Yan's eyes are fixed on Sharon's body from across Jane's shoulder.

Jane closes his eyes and exhales. His face betrays no grief, he didn't even look over at Sharon.

"How did she die?" there was no fluctuation in Jane's voice.

"Because the X virus accelerator ... the virus copied too quickly, it consumed her life." Liv answered.

"Oh." Jane whispered, he lowered his eyes and fiddled with a silver wing in his hand. "Well, That is the fate of all the special forces. She just met hers a little faster. Did she suffer?"

"It happened very quickly." Liv answered this question. As for whether she was in pain, only Sharon knew that.

Mark rushed into the lab with the remnants of the team. He spotted Sharon's body and Xiao Yan's blank grief stricken expression. Pity and calm rested just a hairs breath beneath the stern mask on his face.
This mission has claimed a third of the combined teams.

"Let's get ready to evacuate." Heine ordered.

Xiao stood up stiffly, still not speaking. He connected to the man control and investigated all dangers that may impede their evacuation route. From beginning to end he did not look over at Heine.
Even if Sharon is not a member of Heine's team, she still died because of his incompetence. Perhaps if he was better able to fight, or simply defend himself, Sharon wouldn't have had to stand in front of him. Then she would not have fallen to the accelerator. He wanted to disguise his shame at his failure, he could feel Heine's gaze heavy upon him but he dare not connect his own. He knew that his shame would weigh him down to the point he would be unable to lift his head.

Jane's subordinates picked up Sharon's body and the group successfully left the Surge base.

As they exited the channel, Jane secured his rope and looked back at Xiao. He smiled fondly and said, "I'll take you up."

Suddenly an arm wrapped around Xiao and he was abruptly slammed into the darkness, he briefly stumbled back before the line rapidly lifted.

He recognized the strength in the hold on him. He looked up to see Heine face lowered towards his. No emotion rippled his expression, but Xiao felt wrapped in that steady gaze and his inner panic dissipated. Xiao Yan suddenly felt that, in this moment, he would never be afraid again.

Looking up at Heine, he thought of Sharon. Perhaps she was walking toward the light to join her comrades. Her hair wild and free billowing behind her. Beams of brilliance spreading across the hair, the light catching and diffusing until a soft hue encompassed her whole body.

The air craft took flight and Xiao Yan looked down at the bottomless cavern. It was like a deep abyss gathering endless fear.

However it may prove to be the hope of all humanity, guiding them in an unprecedented direction.

They landed at the closest base. Even the special forces required medical assistance. Xiao Yan was assigned a temporary apartment.

When the quartermaster left, the entire space was left to the quiet.

Xiao Yan felt very tired, but he did not want to sleep, did not want to shower, did not want to eat...did not want to even breathe.

His wrist com was flashing continuously. Xiao knew there was no one but Casey that would be concerned for him, but he didn't have the strength to acknowledge it.

Xiao Yan just wants everything to stop.

He sat numbly, his mind was a dark star of tangled guilt and spinning thoughts; soon it was midnight.

He sat deathly still even as the sliding door opened. He had not the energy or the drive to look up to see who it is.

The person pulls up a chair and sits in front of him. HIs lean legs are still encased in his combat uniform, his presence infusing energy into the empty silence.

Xiao Yan realized that the other party could not be a quartermaster or a liaison officer. His gaze followed his long legs and then lingered on his strong and elegant face.

Heine's Burton's golden brown hair framed his strikingly attractive features, his ice-blue eyes so turbulent that Xiao felt as though he were lost in the tumultuous tides of his gaze.

"Colonel Burton." Xiao Yan struggled to choke his name out of his tightened throat.

"Yeah." Heine's fingers stretched over and Xiao Yan's spine stiffened. His finger ran through his hair and then reached further to knead the back of his neck .

Xiao Yan's breath lodged in his throat, Heine had clearly showered, but Xiao had sat in his filth since returning. His hair was still matted with the foulness of the mission.

"You didn't eat dinner." Heine's voice was light, and the precious sound of it tapped against Xiao Yan's nerves.

"I'm not hungry."

" You have something to ask me." Heine's words were a statement not a question.

Xiao Yan didn't know if it was because he was that transparent or if, in front of Heine, he could keep nothing hidden.

Xiao Yan looked up and asked very seriously. "Did I drag you down?"

This is the first time he has sat face to face with Heine and asked such questions. He knew that Heine would give him an honest answer. He needs Heine's words to prop his spine and strip his weaknesses.

"No. Rather, if it weren't for you, this task could not have been completed."

"Are you comforting me, Colonel? That is not like you." Xiao Yan tightened his lips and raised his head.

"If it had been Casey, his invasion of the master system wouldn't have been so easily discovered by Dylan. You would have safely reached the control room of the base. Casey's research is at its peak, no one can surpass him in all of the Shire. He would most certainly have been able to develop a neutralizer and save Sharon. She didn't have to die."

Heine listened and then sat quietly for a moment before he spoke again.

"Have you ever wondered what the purpose of that base was?"

Heine's words break through Xiao's warring thoughts until they retreat. He recalled of all that happened in the base. After he analyzed the sequence of events, the answer was clear to him.

"It was a trap. They wanted to lure you into the base so they could test the abilities of their monsters on the Shire's most elite forces. Even if they did not succeed in killing all of you, they would be able to take many of you out and greatly reduce your combat effectiveness." Xiao finally replied.

"Yes. from the time we received the mission it was set. Regardless if the tech that followed was Colonel Casey or you, the monsters were going to be released. You stated in your report that their life spans were limited. Yet when we arrived each one was at the height of their peak ability. They knew exactly when we would arrive. Perhaps there is still a spy in the Shire or perhaps they are tracking our craft. Whatever the case, no matter what we did, the results are inevitable. You managed to remove all the research material. Colonel Casey's terminal interface rate is not as fast as you, he may not have completed the mission. You are faster."

Heine's voice is steady, there is no fluctuation as he speaks. He simply relayed the facts, rendering all of Xiao Yan's fears superfluous.

"What you are really hung up on is what Dylan said, that you can't think faster than the virus."

Xiao Yan was stunned for a moment. How did Heine know what Dylan had said to him. He then realized that this knowledge was because the torture specialists had invaded Dylan's brain.

"Yes... he was right. I couldn't think faster than the x virus. What he said was a fact." Xiao Yan's fingers gripped the sheets, tightly bundling the material until his knuckle's whitened.

"You are wrong. Do you know what Sharon's last thought was before she died?"

Xiao Yan's eyes widened. What were her last words? Xiao Yan can't even begin to imagine.

"She said, 'Xiao, you will change everything.'"

"What?" Xiao Yan froze for two seconds and then suddenly laughed. Absurdity and helplessness threaded through his self-loathing, giving his laughter a manic edge. His hand gripped his forehead, kneading his anguish.

"I can't change anything!"

"Sharon believed you would."

"Colonel tell me how I should face certain things? How did you deal with Maya losing his limbs? When you have to watch you soldiers being torn apart by monsters how do you deal with it?" The questions initially fell from his mouth as an observation of Heine's perfection. Once finished, he found he really wanted to hear his answer.

"I remember them, and then I move on." Heine's words were perfectly justified.

"It's that simple?"

"Yes it is. Listen, one day as you conducting research in your lab, you may hear news about a special forces officer. You may hear they are now dead. That person could be Liv, it could be Mark or it may be me."

Xiao Yan's nerves twisted and tightened instantly.

Heine dead? Could such an invincible man die?

Ah, of course he will. Although everyone sees him as a legend, they all forget why he is one.

The x-virus that created him will one day destroy him.

"When that day comes, there is only one thing you need to do."

Heine stood up and looked down on Xiao Yan. Xiao looked back up at him, his thoughts complicated. This powerful man, standing in front of him, has crashed into his life in an extremely profound way.

His existence has penetrated to the deepest core of his mind, invincible to erosion or passage of time. His presence only becomes larger and increasingly clear, interlocking and weaving through his every thought. He dragged his gaze away and reluctantly responded to his statement.

"What?"

"Continue your research. Xiao Yan, do you know of the butterfly effect? It is a reference to how a mere flap of that small insect's wing can trigger a storm on the other side of the earth. One tiny spark, with proper guidance and hard work can create an inferno...a revolution."

Heine's knee gently pressed on the edge of the bed. Xiao Yan subconsciously moved away, his eyes caught in Heine's intensity.

"Become that butterfly, Xiao Yan."

What he could not surpass was not the x virus, it was death. That is the end of all things, including Sharon.

Something deep inside him started to build and burgeon, a strange energy rushed through him. At that moment Heine's face leaned close to his and Xiao marveled at his radiance. He can clearly see the light and shadows etch the counters of his proud face and the wisp of his graceful lashes. The sight of this cold man split his pupil and a steaming warmth began to seep into the frozen pieces of himself.

Xiao lips were caught by Heine's.

It was a carefully controlled kiss. Heine's tongue slid up and over his lips, but never pushed into his mouth.

This is an illusion, Xiao Yan said to himself.

Ah...but..It felt so real, his touch and the strength of his fingers that tightly clasped around his wrists. Heine leaned even closer, his body covering Xiao's. He didn't feel constrained or oppressed, but safe to the point of complete relaxation.

Then Heine embraced him. It was a totally different feeling from his previous illusions. Heine's eyelashes quivered as his eyes closed and he kept changing the angle of the kiss. His wrist was released and Heine's palm slid along his waist and around to press against his pants, kneading his flesh. He was pulled closer, his body pressed to tightly against Heine that a breath could not infiltrate the space between. Xiao was completely immersed in his kiss. He had never experienced anything so intimate before. There was no irrational desire or madness clawing at his sanity. He knew that this cold man was really kissing him.

Without thinking Xiao Yan kissed him back, Heine's gentleness igniting something in him. But Xiao cannot control the depth of his desire. He presses his lips hard against Heine and attempts to push his tongue inside his mouth. Heine's lips remain firmly closed, he stood motionless in his refusal. Then, as though to reward Xiao's boldness, Heine lowered his head again and kissed his forehead, eyes and cheeks. His hand swept the hair from his forehead, lovingly cupping his face. Xiao Yan cannot see past his hand, but he can feel everything. He can feel his kiss and the hardness that was forcefully pushing against his abdomen. Heine's hips continued to grind against him. He is rock hard and it seems as though he could break through and into his body. Destroying his everything.

He knew that if this continued his reason would fly away, but the kiss was too tempting and Xiao Yan could not break away from his desire. If he can't escape death, then let him be destroyed under this man.

Just when he thought it would all last forever. The weight on him disappeared. He opened his eyes and sat up. Heine had stood up and was standing in front of the door about to leave

"Do not forget to eat breakfast tomorrow."

The sliding door closed and Xiao Yan sat in the room alone. He stared blankly ahead for a long time then slowly blinked his eyes and relived the kiss.

What was that? What the hell was that?

He can still feel Heine's breath on him, his wrists and body still feel the pressure.

But...

Heine Burton will not kiss anyone. He will not treat anyone gently.

Xiao Yan's eyes are not deceiving him...no, this is not their first intimate contact.

He is a researcher and he will not deny the facts. He wants to seize Heine and ask him for the answer.

What is Heine doing all this for?

Xiao feels that he already knows the answer. That man will only respond with an indifferent gaze and look away from him. He was not on Heine's radar or eye line.

But Xiao was already addicted to Heine. He must pull Heine's sight in his direction, and transform his weakness into something that can stand next to the strength of Heine Burton.

He reached his hand out and moved his fingers around in front of the lamp. His motions block the light from reaching the floor. Then, with his next movement, his shadow lifts and disappears...as though it fluttered away with the light.

If you want me to be a butterfly, then I will.

Even if I am just an insignificant unknown person, perhaps there is something I can change. It doesn't matter if it is small or not.
_________________________________

The next day Xiao is back at the Shire. The aircraft dropped him off and he looks at the life bustling without interruption. Huge holographic ad screens line square, ordinary citizens laugh and joke with each other. Above him, the maglev vehicles are still on their normal route. Although Xiao has just experienced such earth shattering horrors, it all seems unreal faced with the normalcy of the Shire.

Heine and Jane walk through the long hallway leading to Gordon's office, Xiao follows closely behind..

As they entered the office, an officer stops Xiao Yan at the door. "General Gordon wants to speak with you alone."

Heine heads into the office without looking back and Jane's eyes briefly slide over Xiao Yan before he enters.

Compared to the first time he saw Gordon, Xiao is much calmer.

Half an hour later Heine and Jane exited the office, the officer waiting outside gestures to Xiao Yan. As Heine passed by him, he could feel a strange energy radiate from him and his heart raced.

Heine's back retreats with no sign of turning back. Xiao suddenly feels shy and foolish.

Gordon sat at his desk drinking tepid tea, his back is facing Xiao Yan and the base of his spine leans lightly against the desk.

"To be honest, you surprised me, Xiao Yan."

"I was surprised myself that I made it back to the Shire."

General Gordon chuckled and turned his chair around. He carefully looked into Xiao's eyes as though he were searching for something.

"You are not the same as when you left the Shire. Sure enough, having you perform such a risky task was the right choice.."

Different? How am I different?

Xiao Yan did not ask, but looked at Gordon with skepticism.

"You are more calm than ever. You know who you are, know what you want to do and know your direction."

"Yes, this task made me thoroughly see how cruel the outside world is. Maybe I will forever hide within The Shire."

Major General Gordon shook his head.

"People like you have to feel freedom. And you know deep in your heart that The Shire is not a safe haven for us. It has served us for the time being, but this false sky will fall. I know you think me cruel, sending those troops into a base that I knew was designed to kill them, but the road to freedom is bloody. When you have a dream, you have to be prepared to bear its price."

Xiao Yan stared at Major Gordon. After a long time, he asked: "Was the research data I collected from the base worth the blood spilled?"

"Of course it's worth it. It takes the Shire into a whole new level of viral research."

"Then I guess everything worked out. " Xiao Yan suppressed the bitter wrath stinging his eyes.

"The marker virus that you developed has also become a valuable asset for the Shire. The Central Academy of Sciences it naming the agent after you."

"No, I had hoped the name of the agent would be Sharon. Her name is one of several to be carved into the monument in the square. I want the import of her name to be imprinted onto the hearts of everyone who studies the virus." Xiao Yan voice is pitched low, the solemnity of his words vibrating the air around him.

Major Gordon nodded. "It is your research. You can name it what you want. I just want to remind you that your brain's interface rate has caught the attention of the Surge. They are likely to go full out in an effort to get a hold of you."

"So they can remove my brain?" Xiao's heart clenched up in solid ice.

"Yes, that possibility is much greater now than before the mission. You will require special protection. The Central Academy of Sciences is not sufficient. To be more precise, the core researchers will all require additional forces to stay behind to supply the needed security. They will be there round the clock."

Xiao's brows knitted, this was inevitable. Though this would be an ideal situation for him to gather the samples needed to continue his research. He can analyze the virus' interaction in the bodies of the Special forces soldiers.

General Gordon's face broke into a wide smile "I hope you enjoyed your time with the Special Task Force. "

Xiao Yan left Gordon's office. Two commandos were waiting outside in the hallway. They followed behind Xiao Yan. Each step Xiao took seemed to gather lead and his heart felt restrained by the crisis that loomed overhead.

When he reached the end of the passage, he saw Jane leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. Jane turned his head and flashed him a smile.

"Ah, you are being guarded again?" Jane nodded toward the soldiers shadowing his moves.
Xiao Yan's mouth stretched in a complicated smile as he spoke, "yes."

"I had wanted to stay in the Shire a bit longer, but I have already been assigned another mission. Seems Gordon wants to enjoy himself torturing me until I finally do him a favor and die."

Jane has not mentioned Sharon at all. Still, looking at Jane, Xiao cannot help but feel his heart squeeze painfully.

"I'm sorry."

."What for?" Jane looked thoroughly confused.

"I'm sorry, you and Sharon protected me...but..." Jane waved his hand and injected his usual levity.

"Ah, my new soldier is even better than Sharon. He is Asian like you. Name is Ling. " Jane's gaze lingered heavily on Xiao's taught expression and tense lips.

"If you really want to apologize why don't you give me a kiss."

Suddenly a figure stepped in front of Xiao Yan.

"Colonel Wallace is still the same cad, always on the prowl."

Jane glanced at the man in front of him, looking completely indifferent to his presence.

"Major Maya, does your heart feel unsettled because I never pursued you?"

"Maya!"

As Xiao was about to excitedly step toward Maya, he is stopped by his severe energy. Maya was radiating an intense hostility toward Jane.

"This is The Headquarters, it is hardly suitable for you to recruit bed mates. I would advise you to change locations when baiting your prey."

"Does that mean you are interested in him? Major I warn you, you are not my opponent. You were not before and you most certainly are not now." Jane's face twisted coldly.

The normally lighthearted Maya, who was always joking, stood firm and ready to take on Jane Wallace.

"You can try it." Maya tilted his chin.

Suddenly Jane slammed his hand around Maya's throat and fiercely pressed him against the wall. At the same time, Maya's dagger was positioned at Jane's throat.

"Ha. I see perhaps your skills have improved. Perhaps we should compare them. Will I be able to twist your head off, before you can cut mine off?"

Jane's eyes raised and locked onto Maya, Xiao felt a familiar unease. Jane was a madman. He was not joking. This maniac would take it farther than anyone was prepared to go.

He took out his gun from his hip and pointed it at Jane.

"Release Maya." Xiao Yan's voice is steady and serious.

************Sorry that the chapters have been coming farther apart. I was drinking some lemonade as I was working and my hand decided to go rogue and just dumped the whole glass all over my computer-- I did not approve that action. Anyway, it put me behind (fingers crossed it is in the clear and isn't just perishing slowly). ***********

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

500K 7.2K 75
Male reader inserts Please do not ask for real people fiction, I do not feel comfortable doing so. This includes kpop. also for my own sake, any wome...
103K 5.5K 27
Seventeen-year-old Spencer has been waiting for this for a while now. Ever since he started watching a new TV show, he has been wanting an apocalypse...
54.8K 1.5K 27
Not everything is as it seems. Meet Sam. He's your average, everyday jock. He likes to make crude jokes and be disruptive and loud. He's also a werew...
58.3K 4.6K 33
'How have you changed this much?' 'Where is the boy I fell for all those time and still in love with?' 'What could have happen so wrong to take away...