Prophecy of the Night Fury

By Salamansky

Hiccup always felt that he didn't fit in among his fellow vikings, but felt he had an important destiny and p... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Welcome to Berk
Chapter 2: The Great Prophecy
Chapter 3: Dragon Training Begins
Chapter 4: How to Tame a Dragon
Chapter 5: Learning about Dragons
Note
Chapter 6: The Prophesied Night Fury (2/2)
Chapter 7: A New Form
Chapter 8: How to be a Dragon
Chapter 9: The Rescue
Chapter 10: New Friends and Old Enemies
Chapter 11: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 12: How to Slay a Dragon (1/3)
Chapter 13: How to Slay a Dragon (2/3)
Chapter 14: How to Slay a Dragon (3/3)
Chapter 15: Aftermath
Chapter 16: Deception
Chapter 17: Identity Crisis
Chapter 18: The Battle Within
Chapter 19: Hell to Pay
Chapter 20: From One, Comes Many (Part 1/5)
Chapter 20: From One, Comes Many (Part 2/5)
Chapter 20: From One, Comes Many (Part 3/5)
Chapter 20: From One, Comes Many (Part 4/5)
Chapter 20: From One, Comes Many (Part 5/5)
Chapter 21: ᛚᛟᛊᛏ ᚲᛁᛏᛁ

Chapter 6: My best Friend is a Dragon (1/2)

1.9K 46 7
By Salamansky

Hiccup's POV:

After a good couple of minutes of chasing, I managed to trick Toothless by feigning another direction and immediately pounced on him with surprising speed, even for me. I quickly strap the saddle on him, then I step back to admire my work. That's when I suddenly feel a sharp pang of pain on my arm, where Toothless bit me. I decided to ignore it as Toothless clearly wanted me to fly with him again, this time I'm ready. I hop onto his back and so he launches into the air. It's incredible flying on a dragon, that is until you fall off of one. Not that it happened intentionally, as I accidentally pulled my harness too much and proceeded to fall off, into the water.

I add a metal clamp to affix myself onto Toothless's saddle so I won't fall off the next time I'm on Toothless. The next day, I come to the cove again to use the hopefully improved saddle and test it out. When I finish strapping the saddle on Toothless, I hop on and we launch straight into the air. Not too long my arm suddenly hurts as if my muscles are cramping which makes us crash into a field of tall grass. I quickly stand up and find Toothless writhing and rolling on his back in the tall grass, clearly in bliss. Interesting, I'll call this dragon nip. I quickly grab a handful of dragon nip, to use in dragon training.

The very next day, in dragon training, Gobber releases the Gronckle again from day one of training. This time our objective is to grab the head without dying, then try to control it by holding its head, without dying of course. I keep getting cramps and soreness from my left arm where Toothless bit me, I hope I'm not dying or anything because it would suck to die without doing something great in my life. Of course, after chasing Ruffnut and Tuffnut who happens to be arguing about their tastiness, goes after me. As soon as it comes within reach, I grab ahold of its head and take out the dragon nip and shove it up its nose. The effect is almost instant as it falls down in bliss. Clearly, everyone is shocked to see me taking down a Gronckle with one arm practically limp.

Unfortunately, everyone started following me, bombarding me with questions of how I keep winning the objective. Only Astrid seems to be silent and observing from afar, which is kinda creepy, but I guess my new celebrity status is something she's not used to.

"Hey Hiccup, I've never seen a Gronckle do that before!" Exclaims Fishlegs.

"Yeah, how'd you do that?" Asks Tuffnut.

"It was really cool, can you teach us?" Says Ruffnut.

"Hey look! A Night Fury!" I shout, and as soon as I do it, everyone strains their neck to see nothing.

"Hey, where do you think you're going?" Says Astrid as she stops me from leaving.

"Look, I gotta go meet Gobber at the forge to repair some weapons and stuff... so yeah see you later!" I quickly answer and run off to the cove.

For some reason, being near Toothless calms me, and seemingly stops the pain in my arm that I've had to deal with throughout the week. I start scratching him behind his head, and when I start scratching right under his ear, he immediately falls over, relaxed and content. Hmm, this could be useful in training.

In the next class of dragon training, Gobber releases the same Deadly Nadder again to watch us fail epically at our objective, but unlike everyone else, I got some tricks up my sleeve. I somehow attract the attention of an angry Deadly Nadder, no thanks to everyone else cowering behind the obstacles. I remember its blindspot and use it so it gets confused and uses my scratching technique on the Nadder, making it fall down, purring in bliss. That's when I notice Astrid in an attacking pose, clearly about to strike the Deadly Nadder while I was distracting it. She throws her axe on the ground and shouts in frustration.

At the mess hall, instead of me eating alone at my table, everyone else from the adjacent table stands up and quickly fill up my table, leaving Astrid alone, all eager to find out how I'm able to take down the dragons.

"Hey, Hiccup!" greets Fishlegs.

"What was that thing you did back at the arena? Some kind of trick? What'd you do?" asks Snotlout.

"Hiccup, there's no question that you're gonna be first," comments Tuffnut.

It took a while to get rid of the crowd around me so I can head towards the cove. I bring a small mirror to see conduct a small experiment. I sit on a rock where the sun perfectly shines at me and reflect the light into a singular dot on the ground. When Toothless sees this, he immediately pounces on it and when I move it around, he follows it, trying to catch the dot. I smirk as I discover another thing about dragons.

When I wake up the next morning, I feel like I haven't moved in days, feeling sore everywhere. I grimace but still make it to class in time to see which dragon Gobber plans on releasing next. Luckily, I felt better but I pray its nothing too hard because I feel terrible. The gods always hate me, but maybe just this once, please be an easy dragon. Everyone grabs a shield which makes me doubt the gods even heard my plead. Gobber flicks the lever, opening a small hatch.

"Meet the Terrible Terror," says Gobber as a tiny dragon comes out.

"Ha. It's like the size of my-" starts Tuffnut until the Terrible Terror jumps onto his face. "Get it off! Get it off! Oh, I am very much hurt!"

I quickly use my shield to reflect light and create a bright dot on the ground, distracting the Terrible Terror and I direct it back into its cage. Everyone surrounds me praying me on how well I did, all the while Astrid looks at me suspiciously.

"Wow, Astrid. He's better than you ever were," comments Tuffnut, still rubbing his nose.

Once the coast is clear, I got my new flying suit to make me look cooler, while bringing a much improved saddle with some advice from Gobber, who didn't ask much about it. Somehow, along the way to the cove, I spot Astrid hurling her axe (that I made for her) in anger at one tree. I mean what did the tree do, right? Unfortunately, she sees me and I quickly run in front of the large rock and running straight to the cove, with surprising speed. I look back to see no one following me and pray she lost me.

Once at the cove, I find Toothless pretty quickly, as if he can sense me when I'm coming and waits for me. I strap the new and improved saddle, by far one of the best models I have created, in my opinion. I decide to try it out, but instead of flying in the air, I tie a rope to a tree stump on a cliff and tie the rope to the harness. The first few moments, everything is working fine until Toothless stretched out his wings too much and the wind blows us right into the forest. Oh, great. Now the harness is entangled and stuck with my suit, so I decide to bring Toothless with me to the village, under the guise of night. It isn't too hard considering I have almost perfect vision, maybe due to some side effect from Toothless's bite.

I get into the village with Toothless when I hear footsteps of someone so I quickly hide him behind a wall, then a Viking walks by me.

"Hiccup." He says as he walks by.

I nod casually and once the coast is clear, I bring Toothless into the Blacksmith's stalls to free myself from the harness. Toothless starts to move and cause a racket, and then I hear Astrid call out.

"Hiccup?"

I frantically continue to pry the ring attached to the saddle off but it wouldn't budge.

"Are you in there?" Asks Astrid.

Oh, no. I immediately go outside and close the doors, trying to act normal, with a dragon inside and all. The harness line is just long enough for me to go outside and stop her from coming in.

"Astrid! Hey, Astrid. Hi Astrid. How's it going?" I try to keep her distracted, hoping she will walk off.

"I normally wouldn't care about what you do, but you're acting weird. Well, weirder." Astrid says.

I begin to respond when I feel a tug from the harness line. Then I get lifted up in the air, and I get pulled back in by Toothless and we run out the back door heading straight to the cove to fix my harness. That was way too close for comfort.

The next afternoon, I heard that my father is back from trying to find the dragons' nest. I don't want my dad to find out the weird symptoms I've been getting from Toothless's bite since he might ground me or something. I think my dad wouldn't be too happy with me running around with Toothless, but he will know eventually when I'm ready to tell him. It took some effort to reach the cove since my legs were sore and in some pain for whatever reason, so it did take some time to get there. But when I did get there, I immediately feel rejuvenated, and then Toothless pops in front of me, ready to fly.

"Alright, bud. Let's do this!" I say as I climb onto the saddle.

We fly straight into the air, and every time I feel amazing as if nothing can stop me. A few moments later, we fly so high that Berk seems like a small island. We fly under an arch, past pillars of stone and I get a beautiful view of Berk.

"Oh yeah! This is amazing!" I shout in excitement and then Toothless starts to fly upwards, with the view of Berk becoming smaller and smaller. "Whooooooo!"

We fly too high so my harness line slips out from the saddle and I start free falling down towards the ocean, and Toothless immediately dives towards me. I only made things worse as I panic and accidentally hit his wing which makes me head towards a mountain. Right before I crash into a forest, Toothless swoops in from under, and I quickly tie the harness line back. Toothless immediately spread his wings out, and manage to stop me from dying. As luck would have it, we were heading straight towards jutting sea stacks. Somehow, I steered Toothless right and left, manoeuvring past the sea stacks, barely. After avoiding death, I celebrate with a loud whoop, and Toothless squeals happily; shooting a fireball right after.

"Oh, come on!" I groan as we head into the flames.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

295K 9.6K 24
She was feared by the scaleless. In reality, she was the one who was afraid of them. After she showed them what she was capable of... No one dared to...
11.7K 227 20
What if hiccup had actually left on toothless the day before his final exam in dragon training? What would happen if he came back to berk? Well, ta...
3.3K 85 10
Hiccup is a teenager from the island of Berk, where fighting dragons is a way of life. His progressive views make him a misfit, despite the fact that...