Lie With Me

By ItsAnaHere

My name is Anastasia Stratford. I entered a whole new world with one signature. Why I did it? Simple. Money... More

Waiting
Busy
Face to face with the devil
Disaster
Surprise
Amateur Actress
The Contract
Aloha!
Awkward
Wedding Day - Part 1
Wedding Day - Part 2
Star of the Show
A Fresh Start
New Home
Party Plans?
Full of Hot Air
Confessions
Denial
The Room's Spinning
A Good Day Runined
The Tourist
Lies
Sick Day
Engagement Party
Breakup
Cheers To Us
From the Heart
Complications
Talk to Me
Sisters by Chance?
By Blood
What A Small World
Beg
Shrink
My Time Is Up
Letting Go
Therapy?
Broken
Eavesdropping
Fate?
What's New
Disaster Brewing?
Wedding Vows
Til Death Do Us Part?
Unfolded
Spill the Beans
All Mixed Up

Birthday Tears

6.8K 326 62
By ItsAnaHere

Silence. He just looked at me. Nothing. Okay well I guess I'll continue packing. I didn't know what I was expecting him to say anyways.

As I finished I got up and walked toward the door which was where Alex had been standing. And of course Ainsley had to walk in at this lovely moment.

She smiled at me. "Hi Ana."

I gave her a small smile in return. "Hi Ainsley."

She pointed at my suitcase. "Are you moving your things?"

I nod. "Yep, now that your back Ainsley, it would not be appropriate for me to stay in here."

"I'm really sorry about what happened last night," Ainsley apologized.

"It's okay, you didn't know I stayed in here," I say.

She only smiled at me. "Okay well then, I'll leave you two to it then. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," Ainsley replied.

Nothing from Alex. I roll my suitcase to the guest room and close the door behind me. I laid in bed and replayed what happened with Grayson today. I smile to myself. I truly did like Grayson but I can't try to lie to myself anymore, I did have some kind of feelings for Alex. All I need is for my feelings for Alex to disappear. I didn't feel like I was stringing Grayson along because I did like him, I might even have feelings for him. My head was just so clouded. I needed time think. Time without Grayson or Alex. I needed time to myself. This is starting to become too overwhelming for me.

Two days pass. I wake up in the morning in a gloomy mood. Today was September 3rd, my birthday. I was thankful my birthday was on a Monday because that meant I had to go to work. Work might take my mind off things. I get dressed and put a little makeup on. Honestly I didn't even brush my hair because I didn't feel like it. I slip on some black heels and head down to the kitchen.

"Good morning Ana," Alex said as I walked into the kitchen.

I didn't look at him. "Morning."

"Happy birthday," I heard him say as I took a bottle of water out of the fridge.

I face him and tried to show him a happy smile. "Thank you."

"Hungry?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No, I'm good."

"So what are you going to do for your birthday?" Alex asks.

I shrug. "I'm not sure yet." That was a lie. I knew exactly what I would be doing. I am going to work and then I'm going to bed as soon as possible so this day could be over.

He looks curiously at me. "It's your birthday, you don't have to work if you don't want to."

"No, I want to work," I say a little too strongly and a little too quickly.

Alex gives me a weird look. "Okay then, let's go."

A wave of relief washes through me. I'm so glad he didn't ask me any more questions about my birthday.

As we arrive to work Katie comes and gives me a hug. "Happy birthday Ana."

I force out a cheerful smile. "Thanks Katie."

"There's something special on your desk," she winks at me.

I walk into my office and spot a gorgeous bundle of pink and yellow roses. I smile to myself. I pick up the little note card. It was from Grayson. It boosted my mood a little. 

"Who are those from?" I heard Alex say from the doorway.

I look at Alex. "They're from Grayson."

He came in and and sat in the chair across from me. "Grayson?"

"Yep," I say softly.

He raised a brow at me. "As in my brother Grayson?"

"Yeah that's the one."

He cleared his throat. "Question, why is he sending you flowers?"

I shrug. "Kind gesture for my birthday I guess."

He seemed to be studying me. "Mmmhmm you guys are friends?"

"Yeah..."

"Do you like the flowers?" Alex questions.

"Yes they're beautiful."

"Do you like Grayson?" Alex questions again.

"Yeah he's a nice guy," I say suspiciously.

"Does he like you?"

I shrug. "I don't know, maybe you should ask him."

He nods. "I will. Now tell me, do you plan to see him later today?"

I sigh. "Alex, what's with this interrogation?"

Alex sighs. "Ana you know the rules."

I roll my eyes. "Alex we're just friends."

"Good."

With that he got up and left. I kept my mind focused on work. I tried to think of nothing else. I knew if I thought about my parents I would start to cry and I couldn't have that. I skipped through my lunch break. I didn't feel hungry anyways. I was reviewing some documents when I heard a knock on the door. Ugh can't I just do my work in peace? "Come in."

Alex walked through the door. "Did you eat lunch?"

"I wasn't hungry."

"You didn't eat breakfast," Alex stated.

"Like I said I wasn't hungry."

"Ana you should eat something. You don't look so well."

I roll my eyes. "I'll be fine Alex. Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do." I directed my eyes back to my computer screen and I'm guessing Alex left. I stared at the time. It seemed as if the clock was moving in slow motion. Eventually my mind started to wander. A lump started forming in my throat. No Ana. Not here. I couldn't help it but think of my parents. The tears were stinging in my eyes and just waiting to spill. I try to hold them in but it's no use. I just sat there crying my eyes out. God I felt like such a baby. I began to hiccup from all my crying. My box of tissues were almost gone.

Suddenly the door swung open and there stood Alex holding a tray of food I'm guessing. I immediately stood up and quickly sucked in a breath and tried to wipe all my tears away.  Ugh why did I just stand? "Do you need something Alex?" I ask in a pleasant tone. I know I must look crazy right now.

"It's not healthy to keep your feelings in Ana," he said softly while setting a tray of food down on my desk.

"I'm not keeping my feelings in," I mutter.

"It's okay Ana, you don't have to be so strong all the time," Alex said.

I mentally roll my eyes. Maybe you should listen to your own advice Alex. "Like I said, I'm not and I'm fine."

"If your fine, then why are your eyes red from crying?"

I try hard to keep myself composed. I'm doing pretty good so far. "It's just Allergies. I have really bad allergies."

"So your telling me you're not thinking about your parents right now?"

My lip quivered. Stay strong Ana.

"So you're telling me you don't hate your birthday? You're telling me you don't feel like you blame yourself for your parents. Or that..," Alex stopped mid sentence as I cut right in.

"Stop," I say and loud voice. "Just stop. Are you trying to make me feel worse than I already do?" Without warning a few tears fell from my watery eyes.

He walks over to me and pulls me in for a hug. Is he serious right now? "I don't want a hug Alex," I say while trying to push him away. "Alex I don't want your pity and I certainly don't want a hug from you."

"Shhh..."

"Did you just tell me to shush? What's wrong with you?" I ask.

"You know Ana, you can be really stubborn sometimes. Get it through your head that you don't have to put a mask over your emotions. And the fact that you need to stop blaming yourself for your parents tragedy."

I didn't even notice the tears spilling out of my eyes. My heart was beating so fast. How am I supposed to get rid of my feelings for Alex when his arms are wrapped around me? He smelled good. Am I seriously thinking about that right now? Alex let's me go in a few minutes. I immediately want to pull him back but I don't, because I can't.

I sigh and surprisingly I felt better. "Thank you Alex," I say softly. I guess what I really needed was just some comfort.

"You're welcome doll," Alex smiled.

I take in his beautiful face and think to myself how cold he used to be towards me. Under the beast was just a beautiful and kind heart. And yet he would never be mine. Did I seriously just say that? Like they always say, we always want what we can't have and I need to learn to accept that. It's the only way I'll be able to move forward in life. I'm crazy when I'm emotional.

"Let me take you out tonight?" Alex asked.

"I don't think so Alex, it hasn't been a good day and plus I don't think Ainsley would like that."

"Come on, it's your birthday, I think Ainsley can do one day without me," Alex urged.

"It's nothing to celebrate," I say hoping he would leave it alone.

"How can you say that? Every birthday is special."

I look up at him. "I just want the day to end then I will go back to the non depressing Ana."
He gives me a smile full of pity. I hated pity. "Please don't pity me Alex, I don't need it."

"Who says I'm giving you pity?"

I roll my eyes. "Please, I can see it in your eyes."

"I think you mistake pity for care. I don't pity you Ana, I care about you."

My heart. "I wouldn't mind if you cared about me a little less," I reply.

He chuckles. "Don't be stubborn."

I squint my eyes. "How am I being stubborn?"

"By not letting me take you out tonight."

"Did you literally not hear anything I said? I don't want to because it's not a good day to celebrate."

He shakes his head at me. "Be ready at 7." He gracefully walks out of the room.

I kind of smile. My eyes gaze over to my lovely bouquet of flowers. I should thank Grayson for them. I walk out of my office and walk up to Katie. "Hey Katie, do you know if Grayson's in his office?"

She gives me a suspicious look. "Yeah I think so, I saw him come in this morning."

I smile. "Thanks." I walk to hall opposite from Alex and come to the same exact door as Alex has. I knock. Nothing, I knock again. I hear a voice commanding me to enter. My hand pushes the door open and I see Grayson sitting at his enormous shiny black desk. His office space was very much like Alex's but Grayson had a few more painting hung up. Nevertheless everything looked great. Grayson didn't look up from his computer screen as I walked near him.

"Hey," I say.

He looks up and smiles. "Hi."

I return the smile. "I just wanted to say thank you for the flowers. They're lovely."

He gets up and comes to stand right in front me. "You're welcome." He just stands staring at me.

"Well I guess I better get back to work," I say while smiling. I turn to leave.

"Wait," Grayson commands.

I turn and look at him. He walks over to me until our lips are almost touching. "Gray we can't."

"Why?" He whispers.

"I'm under contract, it's too risky." And I have feelings for your brother.

He smirks. "What Alex doesn't know won't hurt him."

In a split a second his lips crash into mine. He kisses me sweetly and I don't object. He pulls away from and grins.

"What are you doing later?" Grayson asked.

Uh oh. "Going to bed as soon as I can." I mean that's not really lying. I did want to go to bed as soon as possible .

"How about a little celebration?"

"Grayson I'm sorry but I don't like celebrating my birthday. It brings back bad memories. I hope you understand," I say.

He gives me a small smile. "It's okay, I just hope you tell me one day."

"I will, I promise." I know I shouldn't have let him kiss me. Is it even possible to have feelings for two people at the same time?

*

I just wear a pair of blue jeans and a olive green shirt. Am I underdressed? Nope. I had no idea where Alex was taking me but I suppose he's probably just going to take me to a restaurant. It was already 7, where was he? I feel my phone vibrate in my hand.

Alex: Come to the roof.

The roof? I enter the elevator and push for the roof. We better not be bungee jumping or anything. The elevator doors open and I walk up a few step to get to the top of the roof.

There in the distance stood a giant black helicopter. And of course Alex stood there in jeans and a black T-shirt. I walk up to him and grin. "Don't tell me this is yours."

He smirks. "It sure is."

"Where are you taking me?" I ask curiously.

"It's a surprise." Alex says while opening the door for me.

I climb in and instantly feel like a little girl in the toy store. This was going to be cool. After getting set. Alex then lifts us up into the air. Oh my god. This was pretty freaking amazing. I literally couldn't stop smiling. Just seeing the city from up here was so spectacular and surreal. I look over at Alex and he takes a look at me and I just smile so big that my cheeks start to hurt. Everything at the the moment was very surreal.

I think it was about twenty minutes later when Alex landed us on another rooftop. Alex took me to a restaurant that seemed pretty fancy. The dinner was delicious nonetheless. "Thank you for taking me out tonight Alex."

He gave me a small smile. "Anytime doll."

"It's kinda of weird, I haven't celebrated my birthday in years. But I'm glad I did."

"I actually got you something," Alex stated.

I was surprised, but in a good way. "You did?"

Alex pulled out a turquoise box with the words Tiffany and Co on it. Don't tell me he bought me something from Tiffany's. He then smiled and placed it right in front of me. I reluctantly opened it revealing a dainty gold charm bracelet. I pick it up and smile at the charms. A little silver helicopter, a golden hot air balloon, a small pink birthday cake, the letter A, a silver key, and a pretty little star. The gift seemed so thoughtful. I knew what all the charms meant except for the key and the star. "Alex how much did this bracelet cost?"

"Do you like it?" Alex asked while totally ignoring my question.

I smile at him. "I love it, it's such a thoughtful gift."

"I'm glad."

Alex gestures for me to hand him the bracelet. He carefully closes it around my wrist. "Thank you Alex, for a great birthday."

"It's not over yet."

"It's not?" I question.

"Come."

Alex and I once again are up in the sky and it still feels amazing from up here.  After awhile we land onto an open field. Nothing around us except for nature. What are we doing here? Did he plan to kill me? "You're not a serial killer are you?" I laugh nervously.

He laughs and rolls his eyes at me. "No."

"Then what are we doing here?"

He points up. "Look up."

I gaze up and I'm astounded. Stars filled the entire sky. They looked so close as if I could just reach out and grab one. "Wow."

"I used to come here when I was younger to just lay down and look at the stars. And I thought you could use a little peace and quiet.

Alex was right about that. I watch as Alex lays down and so I do the same. "It does look amazing." The fresh smell of grass enveloped me and it reminded me of my small town home. It was so peaceful and quiet. Why did this feel so perfect?

It was almost midnight by the time we got home. I said goodnight to Alex and we parted ways. I walk into my room and spot a very large bouquet of red roses. There was a note.

Happy birthday day Ana. When you think of your birthday I hope you remember this night.  I had fun.
P.s. Better than Grayson's flowers right? ;)jk
                                                                -Alex

My heart has literally melted and then I laughed. Calm down Ana. Alex is just your friend. Friend.

I walk down the hall to Alex's room to thank him for everything but I hear soft muffled voices. I get close to Alex's door and just listen. Sounds like Ainsley's in there. I roll my eyes. What a surprise.

"Alex why can't you just call off the engagement?" I heard Ainsley say.

"I have an image to maintain and you know it's just business between Ana and I."

Ouch.

"Then why the hell was she staying in your room? And why did you spend her birthday with her today?" Ainsley sounded pissed.

"I don't have to explain myself to you Ainsley."

"You better fucking start!"

"Watch your mouth."

"I'm not going to let some gold digging pig dig her claws into you," Ainsley scolded.

My mouth hung open. That's damn bitch. I refrain myself from going in there and ripping her head off. And here I thought she was actually nice.

I hear Alex sigh. "I won't, now can we please go to bed."

At this point, my chest became heavy. Alex just stood there and let her call me a gold digging pig.

Thanks Alex, I now know where I stand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 158 53
DO NOT COPY MY WORK Book 1 in the "Love" Series PREVIOUSLY KNOWNS AS "OUR TANGLED LOVE" Anastasia Richmond I'm the CEO of the Richmond's Industrie...
197K 5K 35
Hailey Baxter signed a marriage contract with Xavier Anderson, billionaire of Anderson Inc, as she needed money to pay for her mother's hospital bill...
13K 507 22
Tiana Maconlay an only child and a daddy's Princess lost her mother at a tender age, Her father is the only family she has left. She is loving, beaut...
281K 7.4K 61
"Treat me like your wife. I want you to give me a chance, give this marriage a chance." He looks at me with those brilliant blue eyes of his. His eye...