Blood Lust

By AuthorJasmineGarcia

[UNEDITED] Something about the way she smiled was faux. Like the lashes that lined her eyelids. Like the make... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Finding Joy
Chapter Two: Slow Down
Chapter Three: Vicious Cycle
Chapter Four: Dinner Date
Chapter Five: A Look Into the Past
Chapter Six: Princeton Avenue
Chapter Seven: Safe Haven
Chapter Eight: Incriminating Isaiah
Chapter Nine: Sharing a Dance
Chapter Ten: A Gift of Encouragement
Chapter Eleven: Withdrawal
Chapter Twelve: Out Cold
Chapter Thirteen: Guilty Verdict
Chapter Fourteen: Cutting Ties and Butterflies
Chapter Fifteen: Rehab [Part One]
Chapter Sixteen: Rehab [Part Two]
Chapter Seventeen: Passion
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Eighteen: Tears on the Runway

415 43 1
By AuthorJasmineGarcia

                        Her routine ended Joy panting before the familiar group of vampires. Tobias had been first to see her routine, Joy deciding she should have the opinion of the rest of the household as well. They gathered in their lavish living room, Joy using the echoing space of the foyer.

Her dance told her story, from beginning till now, the touchy tale expressed in something she held so dearly to her heart.

Her little audience was quiet, Joy momentarily taking their silence as disliking her piece until Ophelia wiped her cheek.

"How beautiful. Joy, they're going to love it. Never go back to how things were, it'd be such a waste of talent." Joy had no intention of doing so, though some days, she couldn't say for certain she would deny cocaine if it were offered, it was just something drilled into her. It would take years to break, but this was progress and it was a start.

"It was intricate, I very much enjoyed it at well. Tobias has a talent in bringing the good out of everyone," Jon added, Tobias taking steps from leaning against the wall, over to Joy.

"I didn't do a thing, she did it all herself." Tobias praised, kissing her cheek. Pride was apparent in her tilted-up head, a coy smile splayed along her lips.

"Could we see it again? Pretty please?" Marissa egged on, Joy willingly starting over the music to dance once more.

While Joy began her performance from the beginning, Jon pulled Tobias aside.

"Have you told her yet?" Tobias looked over to the performing butterfly, his grim countenance lighting up.

"I haven't." He admitted, drawing his attention back to Jon's stern glare.

"When do you plan to tell her? When you're heading out the door with your suitcases?" Tobias rubbed the back of his neck, shaking his head. "Then? Do you plan to take her with us? We have to return to London in two months."

"Of course not, I-"

"Then do you want to stay here? I don't mind but-"

"I'm going with you!" He hissed in a whisper, clearing his throat anxiously upon realizing the menacing tone he dared to take with Jon. "I cannot remain with her, Master Cross. She's getting her footing, and she needs to be with humans. Remaining with vampires would be unhealthy. I cannot provide her with a good life. I cannot provide her with a family, something she's going to desire. It may not be now, but she will want someone to grow old with. I will never age. I will bury her." His eyes watered at the thought. He shook his head. "Someone else needs to love her. It cannot be me." Jon noticed how hard it was for Tobias to detach himself from her, a consoling hand patting his back.

"You're making the right decision. She will be angry, you know."

"I know." Tobias chuckled, blinking back tears. "But she won't need me much longer. She will understand."

Jon to this day couldn't understand why Tobias put himself through this. She wasn't the first pet he's nursed back to health and set free, and each time he was saddened. And Tobias always gave him the same reason.

"Humans live short lives. They deserve to be happy."

"Be sure you tell her soon so she's prepared."

Tobias dipped his head in understanding.

Joy was giggling when Marissa rushed up and strangled her in a hug, peppering her with kisses.

He would do as Master Cross asked, but first he needed to prepare himself.

~.~.~

Don't be nervous. Don't be nervous. Don't be nervous. You're gonna be great. Relax, you've done this routine a hundred times.

Joy was standing on stage, the large lights extremely bright in her eyes. She hadn't gotten a good look at her judges, one's who would decide her future. She had only seen the backs of their head as Joy watched the other girls from class go before her. She knew Tobias and her teacher sat in the back, Joy deciding she would focus on them instead of the four shadows in front of her.

One sighed, a feminine tone alarming her.

"Ms.Castillo. How long have you been practicing the art of dance?"

Joy trembled, her hands shaking at her sides as she squinted against the hot illumination.

"Um...most of my life. I recently started taking classes."

"Mhm. So you're fairly new?"

"I guess, yeah." Joy's dry replies worried her, and she was internally kicking herself. She wasn't prepared to talk. She wanted to just dance and let her performance speak for her. She had never been good with words.

"And the routine style will be?"

"Contemporary...and ballet of course." She added quickly, shifting her weight. The scribble of pen to paper filled the deathly silent theater, the clatter of the one being put aside filling the humming tension.

"Alright, whenever you're ready, you may begin."

Joy took a deep breath.

This was it. She had to do her very best, and she was being given a big opportunity, one she refused to waste.

Joy gave a dip of her head for the music to begin, her song of choosing, a piano version of Second and Sebring. A beautiful song that she personally related to.

The first key brought her to step forward, holding her hands out to her sides to balance herself. Another step was taken, then another as if she were walking along a ledge. Something she often did in her childhood on the lip of concrete outside their apartment building. She gave her brightest beam, a playful spin twirling the white dress she had chosen to wear. Her smile faltered, looking to a figure that none could see. She threw her body to the floor, her hand holding her cheek while her brows furrowed. She crawled backwards, trying to run, but she gave a graceful fall into her stomach, raising her leg as if she were being dragged back.

Her eyes glistened already, Joy getting back to her feet and hugging herself. Her eyes were wide, adjusting her dress. Rapidly she dashed across the stage, leaping to an aerial and it was when she landed, her cheerfulness returned. She ran her hands over her body, stretching out a leg and grazing her touch from her shoe, slowly up to the hem of her dress, lifting it enough to expose her undergarments. A rather risky gesture, but this was her story, no one could tell it but her. The joyful countenance wavered, wiping her hand across her nose. Her eyes rolled back, Joy rolling her neck all while stepping backwards. She raised her hand, squinting against the bright light.

Joy rolled to the ground again, her back arching deeply.

She laid there a short moment her head lulling to the side to face the judges.

She lurched up, and began giving purposefully teetering turns, Joy making sure the technique was apparent by keeping her footwork clean and extended. Gradually the spins grew surer. A plié halted her, Joy straightening to a relevé. She reached up towards the ceiling.

A look of dismay crossed her features, her hand coming over her heart. This time tears made an appearance, Joy unable to withhold the need any longer.

Joy reached for the white rose laced in her hair, taking slow stride towards center stage, leaning into an arabesque placing the flower at her feet. She snapped upright, taking determined steps towards center stage.

Three pirouettes dizzied her, Joy ending her performance with a delicate bow.
Her eyes were glued to the shiny stage floor, her nerves completely vanished, washed away in the heat of her performance.

There was nothing, the theater so quiet, she could have heard a pin drop.
"Thank you, Joy. We will be sure to call you."

Joy gathered herself, fleeing from the stage. She was greeted by Tobias, who brushed sweaty strands of her hair from her face.

"You did good." He cupped her face, Joy trying to push him away. "Joy, you did-"

"Good isn't going to cut it!" She snapped, Tobias pressing his lips to her sweltering forehead.

"Remember what we discussed? If this doesn't work, someone else will gladly have you performing on their stage. Though, you have no reason to be discouraged. They told the other girls the same thing. Positive thoughts, my dear."

Joy huffed, her rigid form relaxing to rest against him.

"Come, your teacher wants to praise you." He ushered her, winding his arm around her shoulders to guide her to Doris, awaiting with a tearful smile.

~.~.~

Joy was curled in bed, as she had been since her performance. Her eyes were glued to her phone, the screen black.

Joy gave an annoyed sigh, rolling over and tucking her head under the comforter.

It's been two days, and she hadn't gotten a call back.

She should've expected it.

She curled deeper under the heavy blanket when she heard the door open for the third time today.

"You're still in bed? You've been in bed all day, humans are supposed to be awake! What if they call, you're going to sleep right through the call." Marissa stepped over, nearly ripping the blanket with the sheer around of strength she used.

"You shouldn't be do disappointed, there will be plenty of opportunities for you, Joy. Many great artists were first rejected before they became famous."

"Uh, huh!" Marissa agreed with her counterpart Ophelia, and it always seemed these two were ganging up on her until Tobias shooed them away.

"Girls, leave her be." He strode in right on cue. Marissa began reprimanding him for not doing more to make sure she was taken care of since she hadn't showered in a few days, nor had she eaten much since then, a half-eaten container of fried rice on her nightstand. "Queen Ophelia, I do mean this in the most respectful way, but the two of you are being pests. It's perfectly fine to be upset and wallow."

Joy snapped from beneath the blanket, glaring at Tobias.

"I'm not wallowing-"

Just then, her phone lit up, the blaring ringtone of an unknown number spiking up her heart rate.

All of them shushed each other, Joy fumbling to answer the phone.

By the third ring, she managed to answer, her shaking voice responding.

"Hello?"

"Ms. Castillo?"

"This is she." Joy tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, recalling the voice of the woman from the choreographers she hadn't clearly seen, but heard.

"Yes, you performed at the audition. I'm calling about the available position for the performance next month." All the wind was knocked out of her chest, a little squeak given, unable to reply and so the lady continued speaking. "We were simply in awe with the techniques you used, and you said you've never had any prior training? It was quite impressive. Did you teach yourself?"

"Y-yes, I did."

"Well, congratulations, Joy. We are looking forward to seeing you back at the theater next week. Your routine was extraordinary and a perfect fit for the performance that is being put together." Joy was stunned, her tongue heavy in her mouth. She wasn't sure how to respond. Not only would she be performing in front of an audience seeking her for her dancing skills and not her breasts, she would get to perform something she created.

"All details will be sent to you by later this evening. I look forward to seeing you here."

"Thank you very much." She whispered, lingering on the phone for a moment before ending the call.

She dropped the phone on the bed, bringing her knees to her chest.

She couldn't find the excitement in her, still in utter disbelief. She covered her face and that's when sobs rocked her body.

Tobias sat beside her, pulling her into a hug where she cried into his chest, clinging to his t-shirt.

"Joy! That's wonderful! Congratulations!" Marissa shouted gleefully, kneeling at her bedside. All the vampires had heard the good news, Joy happy she didn't have to explain anything because all she could manage was incoherent blubbering.

He stroked her back, smiling as he leaned close and whispered to her.

"See? I told you, you did good. You were beautiful."

"What's the matter now?" Jon's cold tone, irritated as it may have been expressed his concern from the doorway.

"Joy got the part. We should celebrate." Ophelia beamed tenderly, while Jon relaxed in relief, her tears happy and not due to distress.

"Get dressed and we will go out for dinner."

Joy hiccupped as she looked up at Tobias, her eyes puffy and snot dripping from her nose, but she didn't care then. Nothing could have dampened the immense happiness she felt.

She finally made it somewhere, even if it was a small feat, it was a start.

Using his thumb, Tobias wiped the slick substance from her upper lip.

And it was all because he believed in her.

~.~.~

The show was a success, Joy perfectly comfortable having practiced the routine so many times. It flowed through her as naturally as breathing. She was confident because they chose her for a reason. She convinced herself not to be nervous. She's been on stage plenty of times before. She was exposed for all to see, now all she would have to expose were her emotions. This would be no different, right?

And it wasn't.

In the audience, there were critics as well as directors, and other art related importance. They had seen her dance, a few stopping her before she left, giving her their cards, or simply asking if she had any available time after this performance.

They wanted to work with her and she couldn't have been more thrilled by the flood of opportunities this performance opened for her.

She carried her resume everywhere after that, earning jobs whenever she could, and it wasn't easy at first. Earning income solely on dancing was a tedious process but within a months' time, she was booked with a new performance every week, deciding to cut down on her classes to make time for them.

It wasn't long before she was steadily earning enough to move from the comfort of the vampire home, and into an apartment of her own, having leeched off of them enough. None had any arguments, Tobias helping her move in to the spacious apartment. He even moved a few items of his in for when he stayed some nights. It was a small one bedroom, near the dance studio she took classes in.

She however was rarely home, Tobias visiting occasionally, because she was so busy she barely had time to even sleep. But she loved it so much. She was so enthusiastic because she was tired from doing what she loved and not some meager job. Even if she hadn't spent much time with him, he came to every performance. It meant a lot to her.

Two months had passed since her first performance, Joy coming home from her latest show at a theater downtown.

She was holding her phone to her ear with her shoulder, excitement vibrant in her voice. The jingle of her keys echoed the apartment, Tobias clutching the handle of his suitcase. His jacket was buttoned up, ready to leave for the airport. He had never found the right time to tell her, and he knew what to expect now.

Her call had ceased by the time the door had opened, her elation turned to him instead.

"Tobias! Guess what happened today? One of the Broadway directors had heard of me through- where are you going?" He had never seen happiness flee from her so rapidly. Her gaze flickered over the suitcases and his buttoned jacket, ready to flee any second.

Tobias cast his eyes to the floor, practicing this speech in his head for two months, but nothing ever came out how it was supposed to in the moment. He took a breath, only to be interrupted by her accusations.

"So you're leaving? What're'ya tired of me now? Huh?" She flung down her bag, Tobias raising his gaze at the hostile girl approaching him.

"Joy, I-"

She snatched the suitcase from him, Tobias slacking his posture when she kicked it across the room.

"You're not leaving me. Not now." Tears were welled in her stunning hazel orbs, her nose scrunched while her mouth was pulled into a snarl. She gripped the collar of his jacket, reeling him in a threatening manner. "Why would you do this to me if you were gonna grow bored, you prick!" She spat, Tobias tenderly taking her hands that were dangerously close to his throat, bringing her knuckles to his lips.

"I need to return with Master Cross to London. That is where I live, I was here to visit and help with an issue for our race. I never expected to meet you again, Joy."

"Then I'll come with you, I can find work out there too, I-"

"Joy." He took her cheek in his palm, stifling her wishes. "You cannot. You belong here. You cannot remain involved with me. You're doing well here, and I am the last piece of your past you need to let go of. You cannot be involved with vampires any longer." Joy shook her head, her anger diminishing to heartbreak.

"So you're just gonna leave me like everyone else has done? You're abandoning me." Tobias creased his brows at the trembling dancer, his heart aching as he brought her close.

"No, never. I will never abandon you." He grabbed her face, placing a small kiss on her pouting lips. "I'm not leaving forever, Joy. I will come back to watch and support you whenever I can. But you know this can never be between us. You're doing better, and you will only grow and prosper from here."

Joy was absolutely livid, but more than anything she was utterly destroyed. She was scared. She didn't want him to go, he had helped her so much. He was her teddy bear when she needed consoling. Who would she turn to if he left?

She believed him to be leaving her for selfish reasons, that was until she witnessed clear droplets slip from his eyes as well. He was hurting just as much, and he believed that this was best for her.

After all he had done, she could not deny that he had always put her first.

And until this very point, that remained true.

"I have to go now. Master Cross is waiting." He choked, letting her loose to retrieve his suitcase.

He loved her dearly. He adored her far more than words could ever describe, however you can never contain a butterfly in a jar, because their life span was so short. He could not selfishly stare at its beauty, and the lovely creature the caterpillar morphed into. He had to let her fly, and that is what he was doing.

Joy knew his decision was made when they had met, and for him to have remained for nearly three years to simply help a stranger he had met only once prior to this was far more than anyone had ever done for her.

The least she could do was make it easy for him, because from his stiff limbs and pink eyes, she knew it wasn't.

She grasped his sleeve, her soft voice causing him to look over his shoulder.

"I'll bring you to the airport."

~.~.~

They took a taxi, the same one Joy would take home to her empty apartment.

Both had been quiet the whole ride, silently enjoying their company. He held her hand, Joy resting her head on his shoulder. He wouldn't be gone forever, she knew that. He promised he wouldn't abandon her, the sincerity in his eyes convincing her. She had to learn to trust again, that not everyone existed to fuck her over. Tobias had never let her down, and she had to believe he wouldn't be the same as the others in her life were.

They had arrived at the terminal, Jon on his phone, while the rest of them were being scanned of electronics or possible contraband.

Tobias faced her, the two of them stopping in the middle of the airport. People passed them by, Joy's eyes glittering as she reached up and adjusted his collar.

"Can't have a servant of royalty looking like a mess." She teased, a sniffling through a snorted laugh. Tobias gave her a half smile, taking her hands in his to entwine their fingers.

"You had said something about a Broadway director. What about them?" Joy stared up puzzled, suddenly remembering the ecstatic news that seemed so unimportant now.

"Oh. Yeah, um...they just asked me to come to an audition. They heard about me from the dance studio, so." Joy swallowed roughly, looking elsewhere when sadness dripped onto her sweater. She took her lower lip between her teeth, taking in a shaky breath. "But, that was it."

Tobias smiled, his grasp growing tighter around her hands.

"That's fantastic, Joy. I'm really proud of you." Joy couldn't look him in the eyes, afraid she would break down again. She had to be strong now. He had done so for her, now it was her turn. "You're going to be fine. I am sure of it, but if you're not I'm a phone call away if you need me."

"You'll call me?"

"I will."

"Every night?"

"Right before you go to sleep."

Joy took one of her hands from him, quickly smearing her dripping mascara along her cheeks.

"And you'll come to see me perform if I make it big?" His soft gaze stared upon her with such comforting affection, like a heated blanket on a cold night.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"And you won't forget about me, right?" She joked, Tobias showing her the knuckle where he had tattooed a butterfly.

"Never." Joy had let go of his hand at this point, ready to step away and say her final goodbyes when he abruptly wrapped his arms around her. He reeled her in, his lips leveled with her ear.

The tickle of a whisper widened her eyes, the jet of a plane taking off the runway overpowering his speech.

She looked to him when he drew back slightly, her state of astonishment mollified when he struck his mouth against hers. Joy almost stumbled back with the force he used, his salty tear-shed mixed with hers were tasted on their lips, their eyes closed to savor their bittersweet goodbye.

He drew back, stroking her face one last time before taking up his suitcases.

Giving one last smile over his shoulder, he and his vampire family were gone.

Joy stood amidst the chaos of the terminal with only the heat of his kiss lingering over her lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5M 77.5K 6
*Book one in the Hell's Company series* Lucifer was the brightest angel in Heaven, But in service of God, he was condemned to darkness. After thousan...
3.5K 70 5
WARNING: EXCERPT ONLY! "And you smell delicious too." He whispered beside my ear. "Like honey and cinnamon were mixed to create a scent so irresistib...
160 7 6
I gasped sharply when, in the midst of it all, his long fingers penetrated me, causing my walls to clench around his fingers. The sensation was elect...
223 24 16
"Your majesty,we just spotted her at Forest,she's trying to pass through the mountains Forest to cross board the ship which is sailing through the bo...