Saving Who?

By seemah870

She seeked solace in kneading dough and icing tiers of cakes, but Katherina Baker was given an ultimatum by h... More

Saving Who?
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 30

49.3K 1.3K 281
By seemah870

' The unexpected is what changes our lives.'

It makes us adapt into our true capabilities. In other words, it's life test for us, to truly see if we can withstand life. No school or college exam will ever prepare us for the pure agony that's about to be felt.

Pain. You just have to fight through. Because the truth is, you can't outrun it.

Through the pounding and knocking on the door, Katerina brought herself to take a shower, to wash off whatever sadness she was feeling. She had to be strong. Her nana wouldn't have it any other way. Yet, thinking about her nana made her cry again, under the streaming shower.

"Kat, come on. Open up." she could hear Jon plead.

No, not yet. She wasn't ready to come out.

"Another 5 minutes Katerina. Just another five to wallow, then you're stepping out of here, packing and going back." she told herself, wiping away the tears that blended in with the shower.

Five minutes later, she wiped herself, put on a robe and opened the door. Six pairs of eyes looked at her, noticing that she was calm.

"I'm going to charter a plane out of here. The rest of you are welcome to come along." Kat busied herself by placing her clothes into her suitcase.

"You're scaring me. How are you so calm." Bree sniffled.

"Look, I leave in an hour. Just get out of my way so I can pack." Kat said trying not yell.

Bree looked hurt at her tone of voice and Kat felt bad, but she really needed to get a move on.

"Guys, just leave the room. I need a moment with Kat. If you want to leave with her then get packing." Jon instructed.

Once the room was cleared, Jon took in Kat's appearance. He knew her way too well. They were best friends since forever. Literally. The facade she was putting on didn't fool him at all.

Without saying a word, he hugged her. Like a twig that snapped, Kat started sobbing again.

"It's alright to be sad." he whispered.

"But not to be weak." she said through tears.

"Fine. But you have to understand that snapping at the others isn't going to help. Ok?" he said gently.

Kat shook her head understanding. He then helped her pack the rest of her things.

Stepping out of the room, the girls were all packed and ready to go.

"Talen, Ryan and I will handle the contracts and details with the lawyers. We will join you guys tomorrow." Jon explained.

Kat took in Talen's stone face. She hadn't said anything to him yet. There was just no energy left in her to put effort into whatever game they had between them.

The jet she chartered awaited them at the private air strip and they waved goodbye to the boys. Bree kissed Ryan goodbye as always.

Talen looked at Kat longingly, while she was busily typing away on her Blackberry. She entered the jet without even looking back at him.

The ride back to New York was painfully silent. Kat knew she was rude and this was the chance to apologize.

"Guys, I'm sorry I snapped. I understand that you guys were sad as well. I took it too far with my temper." she said.

"It's alright Kat. We understand." Claire hugged her and Bree joined in.

Landing at the airport, Richard was there to pick them up. He was not the usual charismatic man. Pale and looked like the whole world was on his shoulders, he just hugged Kat tightly.

The car ride to the hospital was just as silent as the plane ride. Katerina was preparing herself for the worst. 

That was before Richard told her.. "Your parents are there. In the hospital. They are causing quite the stir Katerina. It wasn't my place to tell them to get the fuck out of there. No offense." he winced.

"What do you mean?" Kat said confused?

"They began calling lawyers to sort your grandmother's will even though the doctors said she will come out of the coma."

The rage boiled through her, she was seeing red. Not another word was said.

"Kat, I know you're pissed as hell. But don't do anything rash." Claire pleaded.

Before Richard could even place the car in park, she was out of the car and storming through the hallways of the hospital. She knew which wing and room her nana was in.

She could see Sarah's fat blob of a figure, and the rage seemed to fill her even more. 

"Oh honey! You're here." her mother said greeting her.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Kat shouted. At that moment, the floor became silent, and all that could be heard was the faint sound of the hospital machines beeping.

"Do not talk to your mother like that Katerina!" her father thundered back.

If she were younger, Kat would squirm in response, not this time. Not when people messed around with her grandmama.

"My MOTHER, is in a coma right now. You vultures are crossing the line. Do you think I'm afraid of you? The piece of shits that kicked me out?" she spat venomously.

Her father's face turned sour "Honey, you have to realize what we were doing was just making sure everything was updated." her mother said crying.

"What you were trying to do, was see if you could revoke her will. I know her lawyers, and they know me. If you did anything, I will know and I will sue your stupid asses." she yelled again.

"Oh Katerina, you're just worried we'll take everything away from you." Sarah said snidely.

Oh, Kat loved that her useless trash of a sister chose to fight with her.

"That's the only reason you're close to nana. Because you wanted all of her--" Sarah couldn't get to finish that sentence because of the deafening slap Kat had just given her.

The slap was so powerful it whipped Sarah's head to the left. Kat could hear everyone's jaw dropping.  

"Don't you dare Sarah. Don't you dare. I don't want to see any of you here. Haul your asses out of here before I do it myself. As for you two, thank you for kicking me out. You're as good as dead to me."

"She thinks she's so great with her stupid bakery--" Sarah started saying.

Kat lunged forward, but someone grabbed her by the waist causing her body to be smashed against a solid wall of muscle. 

"Oh you fucking bitch. Let me take that face off of you." Kat yelled.

"Ryan get them all out of this building." the voice said.

Ryan did exactly that, and Kat was left huffing and puffing against Talen's chest. Once her breathing had steadied, Talen turned her around to face him, but she didn't look up at him. She stared right at the floor.

"Hey." he said. When she didn't respond, he lightly lifted her chin up.

Her eyes were slightly watery, those golden brown orbs were filled with sadness and despair.

"When did you get here? I thought.." she thought they were staying back, but she couldn't continue the sentence.

"We were going to. Then Ryder called Jon just as you left with the news about what your parents were doing. Ryan and I got on the immediate flight back here. Jon stayed back."

"Oh, ok. Thanks. For stopping me." she said quietly.

"I didn't want to stop you. Bitch was asking for it. But I couldn't let you go to jail could I?" he joked lightly making her smile.

He kissed her forehead out of instinct and she obligingly leaned into him.

"Are you ready to go in? To see her?" he asked her softly.

Kat shook her head saying no. She wouldn't know what to do, if she saw her nan laying there motionless.

"You have to. I'll be right there with you. Ok?"

"Ok." she looked around and saw that Bree and Claire were looking at her through the glass doors and were giving her thumbs up..

She pushed open the room door, and the beeping sounds of the ventilator greeted her. In the middle of the bed laid her nana, looking fragile as ever. There was a bandage around her head, and a few stitches on her forehead.

Kat sat on the chair next to the bed and held onto her nana's hand gently. "Nana, nana. I'm here. Wake up for me." she said, her lips trembling.

"You take your time if you need to. Just.. just promise me you'll wake up." at this point, tears were streaming down her face.

Talen was crushed, seeing Kat that way. Her head bent down, silently crying. There was a light tap on the door and when he opened it, there stood the doctor.

"Hello, I was told her daughter was here. I'm Dr. Masterson." he held out his hand to shake.

"Yes, that's her over there. Just give it a few minutes." Talen said.

"No, no. I'm fine. Tell me everything doctor." Kat stood up and wiped away her tears, reverting back into a more composed form.

"Your mother suffered minor injuries and the coma she's in has been induced. So if you've been thinking that she was hit then automatically went into a coma, you're wrong. We had to induce the coma because of the operation we carried out on her. This way she heals properly without the risk of internal bleeding. We'll slowly awake her in the next two days."

Kat felt a huge wave of relief hit her. Talen had his arm around her, just in case she couldn't take what the doctor was telling her. But, he knew that she was a strong person. Stronger than anyone he's ever met. That was just an excuse to put his arm around her.

"What happened to the person who hit her?" Talen asked, shocking Kat a little.

She didn't even think about that. 

"The police has that all covered. I'll ask the nurses to give them a ring so they can come here and fill you in on the details. Any other questions?" he asked and left when they didn't have anything else to say.

Bree and Claire came in with Richard and three girls huddled up together. Kat didn't cry, because she knew better than to do so. Her nana was fine, she was fine, everything was going to be fine. 

That's what she kept telling herself. 

When the police came over, they explained that the person who had hit her ran off but was stopped by another civilian in his car. Everything was recorded as the bakery and restaurant had a camera installed in the front.

"It's up to you to press charges ma'am" the police said.

"We will press charges. He ran and left her there." Kat said with finality in her voice.

"I'll let the other party know and we'll be needing your lawyer's contact number." once all of the nitty-gritty details were over with, Richard and the girls left later that night, leaving Talen with Kat.

"You should have left with them. You're not going to be comfortable here." Kat said frustratedly.

"Why are you doing this. Why push me away?" he said equally frustrated.

"Jesus fucking Christ Talen. What do you want from me? You act like you want me, then tell me you've just been using me to get some of my ass. Then you act jealous when I try to move on and make a move on me AGAIN. Now you want to be here for me? Have I not been through enough?" she yelled.

"It's because I'm in love. I'm in love with someone else. Someone who won't show herself to me. When I look at you, you remind me of her. Even though I've never seen her before. That's why I'm a mess. I can't stay away from you, but at the same time, I can't do that to her." Talen told her and walked out of the room.

Kat sat on the chair, once again not knowing what to feel.

All she knew was, Talen loved her. He just didn't know it was her.

~~~~~

For the next two days, Kat didn't leave her nana's side. The girls took turns with bringing her food and fresh clothes.  Kat combed her nana's hair, made sure to wipe her clean. Talen stopped by, but only with Ryan. He never came alone, never talked directly to Kat.

Jon arrived on the day nana was scheduled to be pulled out of the induced coma.

"How was everything?" Bree asked.

"The lawyers and I went over every detail. You'll be paid.. and even half a million for the first year. If they decided to renew you for the second season, it's going to escalate higher." Jon smiled.

"I'm going to have to pull out of it. I  have to take care of nana." Kat said immediately.

"No you will not have to take care of your nana." a soft voice interrupted them.

All of them turned to the direction of the voice. 

Rosa Baker was smiling at them, her eyes squinting a little, adjusting to the brightly lit room.

"Nana?" Kat smiled while tears flooded her face.

She went to her nana and hugged her lightly while sobbing loudly.

"Oh honey. Nothing can take me away from you." Rosa stroked her baby girl's hair.

Katerina felt like she could lose everything she had. As long as she had the woman she was hugging, she knew everything would be ok. Bree, Claire and Ryan were next in line to hug Rosa, followed by Talen and Jon.

"I won't have any of it. You'll go record the show." Rosa said defiantly.

"You won't have to worry about that. They only start filming in three months. I'm sure by then. You'll be able to hire a nurse to help around with her." Jon told Kat.

"Jonathan, do not act like I'm not here young man. Why would I need a nurse?" she scolded him.

"Sorry Rosa. It would just be better. That way Kat wouldn't have to worry too much." Jon explained.

Just then, the door burst open and Richard came in. "Rosa honey!" he ran to her.

"Hello darling." she smiled at him warmly, hell she even blushed a little.

"I guess this means the wedding is postponed." Rosa sighed disappointedly.

"Yes, it doesn't matter. You need to get well first." he stroked her hair.

Kat felt the hole in her grow bigger again. She forgot about Richard. Nana would have to go back with him, and she wouldn't be able to take care of her grandma. At least she would be just a few floors above her.

~~~

The following week, the gang prepared for Rosa's arrival back at Richard's place. There was a banner saying "WELCOME BACK ROSA!" to balloons and.. a little something extra.

"Richard got her a dog?" they stared at the baby Golden Retriever who was currently gnawing a tennis ball. Attempting to at least.

"Yes, I did. I thought it would keep her busy. Seeing that once you guys start going for the filming sessions, she has this little fella to play with." he explained.

"Ryan and her should be arriving any second now! The bell boy downstairs just rang." Claire said excitedly.

Kat took the puppy from Richard and all of them waited for the door to open. Once they heard the click sound, they braced themselves then yelled "SURPRISE!!"

"Oh my!" she laughed.

"Welcome home nana. A little something Richard got for you." Kat kissed her cheek and handed her the puppy.

"I'm getting a Rufus vibe from him. Hence, Rufus everyone!" she raised him up Lion King style making everyone chuckle.

Talen and Kat kept their distance from each other, always maintaining a safe space from each other. She hadn't told the girls or Jon what had happened. She figured they'd just tell her to tell him she's the girl from the e-mails.

~~~~

Weeks turned into months, and before they knew it, it was time to head to L.A for their first filming session.

Kat sold off her Porsche, seeing that she wouldn't be using it, she sold it to... her brother. 

The night before they left, all of them, Talen included, sat cross-legged around the coffee table in front of the tv having a huge bowl of pasta.

"It's going to suck not having you guys around as much." Ryan put his arm around Bree and kissed her forehead.

"You guys will be flying to L.A frequently won't you?" Claire said rolling her eyes.

"Yea, only at the end of each month.. for like a week." Ryan sighed.

"Dude, don't be retarded. That's better than most people in relationships. Not to mention we will be flying back and forth too." Claire was clearly annoyed with their sappy lovey notions.

"You should stop being a sourpuss. Matthew lives in L.A so you'd get to see him every time you're there." he shot back.

"You guys really are my retarded brother and sister." Kat smiled.

For the umpteenth time that night, her eyes flickered to Talen, who didn't speak much.

"As if you guys moving out isn't bad enough, Talen is too." Ryan said, making everyone freeze.

"You are?!" Jon was the first to voice out.

"Yea, I just felt like it was the right time to do it. I'm nearly 25 and I need a place of my own. It's not far from here though. It's a house, a brownstone just like yours. As of now, it's empty, but I've been doing up just my room."

"So you've been planning to move for a while now." Claire asked the question that was right at the tip of Kat's tongue.

"Please don't take this the wrong way. Katerina has made sure I was comfortable. But when all of you started to progress with your future, I realized I needed to be more grounded. Have something of my own, to show that I have a home too." he tried to reason it out with everyone. Especially Katerina because when he was talking he, looked directly at her.

Kat didn't say anything but just chewed her pasta.

"You should check out their cribs in Malibu." Jon whistled.

At the talk of her new house in Malibu, Kat couldn't help but grin like an idiot. As if it were her new boyfriend they were talking about, she felt all giddy on the inside.

"Cribs? Plural?" Ryan said confused.

"See honey, proof that you don't listen when I talk." Bree pinched him playfully.

"They got a fantastic beachside condo. Three separate units for the princesses." Jon laughed.

"Hey, this is my first own property I've ever owned by myself. I've been sharing Bree's across the hall remember? Well, my study loans are finally over and I can live like these two whores." Claire laughed.

"And separate cause you know.. what if we have guests over.." Bree said emphasizing on the guests part.

Kat groaned "Jesus Bree, no one needed to know that."

"Whaaat. It's a joke.." Bre said unconvincingly.

"Yea sure." Jon rolled his eyes.

The following morning before leaving, Kat went up to her nana's place and found her playing with Rufus who was now not a little fluff ball anymore.

"Aren't you a rascal. Mummy's rascal." Rosa cooed.

"Rufus! I thought you loved me!" Kat whined and the little dog perked its ears up then ran to her obligingly.

"Honey! Are you leaving already?" her nana was still in her wheelchair because her ankle was slightly sprained and Richard and Kat wouldn't have it any other way.

"Yes, nana. No, no. No need to get up." Kat rushed to her as she tried to stand.

"Oh please, I have to stand soon. My physiotherapy starts next week. Give me a kiss baby doll." her nana hugged her then smooched her face.

"Nana we're heeereee." Claire came in screeching.

"My girls! There you are! I thought you'd leave without seeing me." nana frowned.

"Nan, you're really the mother all three of us never had. We won't ever do that to you." Brree hugged her.

"I am here to help you down Rosa." Jon came in joining their mini pity party. Talen will bring you back up." Jon said casually.

"Talen's here?" Kat asked a little too loud.

"Yes, he is. Now fix up whatever that's making you drift apart." Claire pinched her lightly.

When they were in the basement, Kat saw his tall figure looming about Jon's G-wagon. The rest of the gang approached the car and she saw Claire gesturing towards her direction and before she knew it, Talen was walking towards her.

What was she supposed to say to him? How was she supposed to face him? She was a liar.

"Listen, I'm sorry they're making such a big deal out of the both of us--" Kat started to say.

"It's alright. They care about you. " he said then it settled into an awkward silence.

"I guess I better get going then." she said and started walking away.

"Katerina." he said stopping her.

" You're her aren't you. My mystery girl." he said quietly.

Kat looked him in the eye "No. I don't know what you're talking about." she turned around and walked to the car, hoping that he didn't see right through her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

335K 9.6K 49
For Rachel Beckett the Olympics was a huge defining moment in her life, something she had been working tirelessly towards since she was five years ol...
221 26 17
Reece looses both his parent to a suicidal-murder and his boyfriend ditches him. he moves in with his Aunt. he becomes friends with the neighbor. Je...
9.5M 309K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
244 4 19
[slow updates] The big house, maids and cooks. The fancy cars and rich lifestyle. It all sounds nice in theory. But all of the conditions it comes wi...