Family With Honour (Book 4)

By randomthoughts96

Lord Bear Usani has dealt with a great many of emotions through his life: happiness, excitement, victory, mis... More

Author's Note
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Author's Note
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
The End...
Thirty Five - Two years later
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Forty
Forty Two
Future plans
The Story of the Usani Brothers
Check out the new story!

Forty One

4.2K 358 34
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Lady Tikva."

She turns and he sees her hand disappear into the folds of her skirt. Old habits really do die hard and perhaps in her case they should. He wonders how many weapons she keeps about her person.

"I meant to thank you. I admire your determination to protect them and I should have been more open with you about my intentions. You have kept my family's secret for many years and I should have trusted that you would not use anything I said against me."

"Arisxandre is my sister in law. You need not thank me for that. I would not cause her upset by revealing her husband's identity to anyone. Nor do you need to thank me for protecting Mia. It is my duty to stop making mistakes with those that are close to me." She turns and attempts to walk away with no further conversation.

"What of your brothers? Do you not view them as close to you?"

Zara sighs and glances back at Bear. "If you are determined to have a conversation then you must walk with me. I do not have time to stop and confer as I have responsibilities to see to."

"As you wish." Bear falls into step beside her.

"My brothers will always be my brothers but I am done doing their bidding. They will never know of Mia's location nor that Hunter lives and if Dawn ever leaves my brother she will have that same protection. Blood no longer leads me as it did before. Are you satisfied?"

"Then it is not your brothers you fear for..." Bear muses aloud.

"You understand that your courtship of Mia must take place here under my husband's and my supervision?"

"I assumed as such."

"Surely you wish to be with her rather than conferring with me?" Zara asks him with a sly look in his direction. Bear grins.

"She is having a private conversation with the children. We agreed to see each other at dinner. A dinner that I knew I should ask the Lady of the house if I could attend." He throws the conversation back in her direction. He can sense that she does not truly wish to be having a discussion with him.

Zara pushes open a door and they enter a bustling kitchen filled with heavenly smells. Zara heads over to the cook with an easy smile. "Mrs Wardly, I trust the menu was delivered to you? Dinner will be at seven and I hope an extra place will not be inconvenient for you."

"Not at all, My Lady." The cook curtseys briefly then returns to her work.

Zara moves on through the kitchen casting an eye over everything without disturbing anyone. Truthfully they barely notice her presence but they all notice as Bear follows in her footsteps. They leave the kitchen and their attention returns to their duties with a few whispers added to the mix.

Zara keeps walking until she comes across the butler whom she speaks with quietly for a few minutes before again continuing on. She slows her steps enough for Bear to easily walk by her side again. "I take that to mean I am welcome at dinner," he prompts.

"You are welcome for as long as you remain here. A room is being prepared for you and I am sure will be ready for you after dinner." She glances at him out of the corner of her eye. "Is that all?"

"Yes."

Philippe appears ahead of them and his face breaks out in a handsome grin upon sight of his wife. He strides up to his petite woman and takes her hand, placing a kiss on her palm. Zara rolls her eyes but the loving tilt to her mouth shouts volumes. He then turns his attention to Bear and sharply bows. "Welcome to our lands Lord Usani. I trust your stay with us will be enjoyable. I hope you do not mind but I wish to steal my wife away for a moment. Feel free to wander around. My servants will happily advise you where to go for different activities." Philippe speaks quickly already pulling his wife after him and leaving shortly after the last word leaves his mouth. Best chuckles in the now empty room.

"What is it that you wish to steal me for?" Zara asks her husband once they have moved far enough away not to be within anyone's earshot. Philippe grins at her and before he can do anything she shoves him back. "Philippe!"

"Sweetheart, as much as I have missed you I also have a letter to pass along to you." He removed the envelope from within his jacket and holds it out to her.

Zara sighs upon seeing the Ricell wax seal. She takes it from him and turns it over in her hands. She holds it back out to him. "I have no wish to read it. You may if you want to and then if it is important relay the message to me." Philippe takes it back and securely places it back within his jacket. "You have already read it? What did you do, steam it open?"

"So distrusting," Philippe teases but under her direct gaze he crumples. "I have read the contents. You showed me how to open an envelope without anyone noticing, did you not expect me to use such a skill?"

"The message is not important?" She purposely ignores his question knowing that they both know the answer.

"Gethin is asking for the whereabouts of his daughter. I have already discussed the matter with Mia. When Tress is older he will then be given contact but not until then. Her innocence must stay in place for as long as it can and her safety guaranteed till she is of an age to defend herself. Although I doubt he will stoop to kidnapping again."

"Do not underestimate my brother, darling. She will always be his power play back to the Ricell lands and we must not forget that. Perhaps one day I will help her get that land for herself but only for herself. Mia may one day find it wiser to never let him see her."

Philippe takes his wife's hand and rubs his thumb over the slight callouses on her fingertips. She works too hard and he wishes that she did not carry her family's choices on her shoulders. He finds it sad to think that she has no trust in her brothers but he cannot change that. "Perhaps Tress will want to know him though and then it will be out of all our hands." Zara glances down at his hand around hers. "Sweetheart?"

"I heard news that your mother is planning to visit."

"She is..."

"I have planned to go on a small trip. Please apologise to her for my absence when she arrives and keep an eye on Bear with Mia. I will be leaving in the morning."

"I told her that subject is not to be brought again, sweetheart. I do not wish to order you to stay and build more of a friendship with my mother when she was your champion during our interesting courtship."

Zara removes her hand from his grip and takes a step back. Her chin lifts stubbornly and with all the power of a Ricell. "Then do not order me for you know it will do no good. Believe me when I say that our friendship is better in penned letters rather than in each other's company."

"She wishes to be close to you."

"She wishes to control me and you. I have been controlled far too often in the past. I am not living my life by another's plan." She goes on her tip toes and presses a kiss to her husband's cheek. "But if you ask me to stay then I will and I will sit obediently when I am told I must bear children as soon as possible and wait while she asks if I need a visit from a wise healer. I will stomach all of those things for you if that is what you ask."

Philippe tilts her chin up and presses a light kiss on her lips. "Enjoy your trip."

○ ○ ○

After dinner, when Philippe and Zara have retired to their room, Bear and Mia sit on a large sofa with the children between them. Tress leans against Bear, already comfortable with him and Oz slots contentedly under his mother's arm. Mia smiles across at Bear as he speaks telling the young ones a story just as he did so many years ago.

"He was a great warrior and a man of immense strength. As a child I heard stories of how he fought for his people and stopped the enemies from burning down villages. He threw himself into the midst of danger without worry for his own skin. He only cared about the ones that could not defend themselves. He strove for peace but he was not afraid to fight for the vulnerable. He had not yet met a challenge that he could not defeat but then he saw her."

"A pretty girl?" Tress interrupts eagerly. Oz rolls his eyes but makes no other action to show his irritation. Secretly these are his favourite moments.

"Indeed. A very pretty girl," Bear confirms. Tress beams and stares at him waiting for him to continue the story. "But she was the only one, according to him, who was not immediately impressed with him. All she saw was a man who thought too greatly of himself. He asked to court her and she asked him if he was sure. It was not a response he expected. See, she was not going to say no to him. He was a Lord after all. Her parents would be mortified.

"He decided he wanted her heart and he would not ask her again until he had it. He bought her jewels. She gave them to her parents. He gave her flowers; she took them graciously and passed them along to her mother. He drew her a picture and she kept it. So he continued to draw things that made him smile and reminded him of her. Over time she fell in love with him."

"Did he ask her again?"

"He skipped the courtship part and asked for her hand."

"Did she say yes?" Oz asks.

"Thankfully she did. If she did not my brothers and I would never have existed. My father loved my mother more than anything and he loved his sons without hindrance. I plan to follow his example." Bear meets Mia's eyes and she nods. "Sadly my drawing skills do not meet his."

"Now that is a shame," Mia teases. She glances down at Tress and smiles, "You look tired, bedtime?" Tress nods. Mia stands up and Tress is lifted up into her arms. "Could you show Bear his room, Oz?"

"Yes Ma."

She leaves with Tress and Oz turns to Bear. "Do I get to be your best man at your wedding?"

Bear chuckles and stands. "We will see. Come on, show me my room."

Oz grins and gets to his feet. He leads the way having watched the room being prepared earlier. "I could do with some new boots," Oz comments blasé. Bear stifles another laugh at the clear request of a bribe. "And Tress could do with a new dress. Even Ma might like both of those."

Bear ruffles the young boy's hair affectionately. "I think I may be able to assist."

Only one, possible two chapters left I think. Hopefully you enjoyed this one. What did you think to Brock and Claire's story?
Sorry it is a bit later than usual, it has been a really long day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 306 14
* a timeless beginning to the "Flawless" trilogy * She was going to fall, and no one would be there to save her. ...
55.3K 6K 44
Graphics credits: @mwahbitchkriti Three best friends since they were in diapers. They can give and take life for each other. There heart resides in e...
3.7K 410 22
𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘴 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘸 𝘎𝘰𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘮 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺...
107 20 12
You're born, you grow up, you make friends, you fall in love....... .... Maybe.... Love at first sight? Feels right, doesn't it? But what happenes...