The Cowboy

By MThoroughbred

16-year-old Jessica Campbelle is thrilled when she learns that she is to stay with her mother's friend for pa... More

Chapter One: Goodbye
Chapter Two: The Boy
Chapter Three: Puppies
Chapter Four: Going For a Ride
Chapter Five: Heartbreak
Chapter Seven: You're My What?
Chapter Eight: Are You Drunk?
Chapter Nine: You're a Good Singer
Chapter Ten: Pregnant?
Chapter Eleven: Three Months Later
Chapter Twelve: Well I'm ImPRESsed
Chapter Thirteen: One Day
Chapter Fourteen: Bed of Leaves
Author's Note
Chapter Fifteen: Renewed Friendship
Chapter Sixteen: I Kissed a Toad and I Liked It
Chapter Seventeeehn: Dance With Me?
Chapter Eighteen: The House That Built Me
Chapter Nineteen: A Slap to the Face
Chapter Twenty: Taken By Surprise
Chapter Twenty-One: No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
Chapter Twenty-Two: Baby Campbelle
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Perfect Gift
Author's Note
Chapter Twenty-Four: I Do
Chapter Twenty-Five: Lovely Weather For A Sleigh Ride Together
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Birth
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Down That Road
The Reunion
Epilogue
Thank You

Chapter Six: Swapping Secrets

4.3K 104 8
By MThoroughbred

Bailey took me out to watch the stars in the pasture later that night. The grass was slightly damp and we found a spot where there were no fresh horse feces so we could lay down and not have to fear smelling completely like a barn.

My eyes searched the dark sky. It was insane how the night lit up with millions of stars. Back in the town I used to live in, there were so many lights you were lucky to see one or two stars and even then that only happened when the sky was insanely clear, like it was tonight. I sort of loved astrology. 

Bailey's hand shot up. "See that one there? That's Lupus. The Wolf."

"Where?" I laughed. "I just see a clump of stars. 

He scooted closer and I desperately hoped he couldn't feel how hard my heart was beating. He slung his arm around mine and held it up, bringing his face close to mine so he could eye up the stars. "Right there," he traced the pattern with my hand. It was like he was just playing connect-the-dots, except the end result didn't look anything like it was supposed to. 

"That doesn't look like a wolf to me."

"Me neither. Stupid name for a cluster of stars," his face stretched into a wide smile. 

"Do you think something could come of this? Us, I mean," I angled my head towards his, now crooked in the corner of his arm.

His face lost the grin and he searched every last bit of mine. "I sure hope so."

The next morning I woke feeling bright as a penny and fresh as a daisy. Yes, that sounds loony, but eh? I am in a good mood.

After getting dressed, I went down to the kitchen for lunch. Bailey was already stuffing his face with waffles when I sat down at the table. Seeing me. he slowed down a little bit, but the kid truely is a slob.

Julie was the first to speak.

"Have a nice sleep last night, Jessica dear?"

"Yes ma'am," I replied.

Julie turned from the stove with her hands on her hips. "How many times do I have to tell you? It's Julie. Joooolyyyy. I do not respond to ma'am. I am most definitely not an old woman."

Bailey and I both laughed.

"Yes ma'a- I mean Julie." I said.

"That's better," Julie said as she placed a plate in front of me. "Eat up, you two. Bentleigh is coming back today. Aunt Bea didn't want to give her back!"

"Uh, may I ask who Bentleigh is?" I asked somewhat politely.

"My daughter," Julie spoke. "She's 4 months old."

"Well I can't wait to meet her. When is she coming? Is there any chance I can help sit her at all? I absolutely love children," I asked.

"Of course you can help! I haven't had a minute to myself since she's been born. I'll need plenty of help. She should be here in like 2 hours. So you and Bailey can go mess around with the dogs and horses in the meantime."

****NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE! Needs to be edited. So sorry about that D:******

After we were done eating. Bailey and I made our way over to the puppy shed. In complete silence. To say it was incredibly awkward was a MAJOR understatement.

Bailey cleared his throat after a while. "So... Uh... How are you?" He asked, his voice rising at the last word.

"Uh, fine. Great. Just swell," I said. "You know, Bailey, we've known each other for nearly 4 days now and we've talked about every thing from horses to the weather outside, but you never brought up a sister. Why not?"

He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand uncomfortably. "I...Well...You see...My mother... Bentleigh is very important to this family. My mother always wanted a daughter. Mother and father tried and tried for another child ever since I was born.  And after 15 years of trying, my mother was pregnant with Bentleigh and everything changed. She and my father were getting along so well together. Until mother found out he was smoking pot. She told him he was ruining not only his own future, but mine too, and Bentleigh's as well. And the day she went into labor... If I had been here. If I had been home, I could've drove her to the hospital. Then she would never had gotten hit by that drunk driver and she wouldn't have missed out on four irreplaceable months of her daughter's life. Her only daughter. But no. I just HAD to be out with my friends at a party." Bailey shook his head.

"Bailey, don't beat yourself up about it. Just think about the positive. You get to see her today!" I exclaimed.

Bailey stopped and looked me right in the eyes. I froze, rethinking what had happened the previous day. That kiss... I suddenly became a little nervous as I remembered it. Surely he wouldn't kiss me now? I mean, the awkwardness would only intensify...He is a pretty good kisser though....

I mentally shook my head. Get yourself together, Jess.

He came closer to me until he was just inches from my face, his expression a bit stern.

"You don't know what its like. To have someone you love missing from your life for that long, because of your father." Bailey walked into the dog shed. I tailed after him.

"I don't know what its like? My daddy BAILED on my mother and I when he found out she lost her baby!" I shouted in frustration, instantly regretting it when I saw him register what I had just said.

"But... You're an only child?" He asked.

I fell to the ground, a tear streaming down my face. Bailey was instantly on his knees in front of me in the dark, cool shed.

"K-Karl Campbelle. He was my little brother. My mom was 7 months along. She miscarriaged. M-my dad left us just a f-few days later," I sniffed loudly.

Bailey gently wiped away my tears.

"I guess both of our fathers are bastards," Bailey whispered. "I'm so sorry I have a chance with my sister though, when you don't have a chance with your brother."

Bailey hugged me and I sobbed into his shoulder. As distressed as I was, I couldn't help but feel how perfectly we seemed to fit together. I just felt so right in his arms.

I pulled back from him, wiping my eyes with my palms.

"W-we better feed the animals. So we'll be able to see Bentleigh sooner." I said.

Bailey nodded his head and pulled me up from the ground.

...

3 hours later, I had managed to steal Bentleigh from her mothers protective grasp, and was playing peek-a-boo with her on the floor in the living room. Bailey was pretending to read the newspaper on the couch, but I could feel his eyes burning into the side of my face.

'Ya know, if you wanted to stare at my beautiful face, you could've just asked," I said, glancing at him. His face was bright red.

"I-I wasn't...I really wasn't..." He stuttered. 

I laughed at his embarrassment.

"Come over here, play with your sister." I patted the spot on the carpet next to me.

Reluctantly, Bailey picked himself up off the couch and plopped down close to me. Very close to me. I ignored it (more so to make sure I didn't embarrass myself), and centered my attention completely on the toddler laying on her belly in front of me.

She was lightly tanned, much like Bailey.  She also had dark, jet black curly hair and very distinctive green eyes. She was beautiful, for a four month old. 

She pointed a finger at me and gurgled. 

I laughed and picked her up and set her on my lap. She immediately started sucking on my thumb. 

"I think somebody's hungry," I laughed again, grabbing a baby bottle full of milk that I had made a little bit ago. 

As soon as the nipple touched her lips, she began drinking hungrily.  Bailey watched her in fascination. 

"How much is that?" He asked me,

"How much milk is in the bottle? Like 8 ounces."

"And she gets that in one feeding?" I nodded. "But she's just a tiny little thing."

"But you have to realize, this is all of the food and water she gets." I explained.

After about half an hour, Bentleigh finished her bottle and was yawning, so I decided I'd bring her upstairs to sleep.

The baby room was beautiful. Everything was pink and blue, and there were a ton of toys spewed out across the room. 

I gently layed Bentleigh down in her crib, put a pacifier in her mouth and slowly backed out of the room.

When I got back down to Bailey, he was, once again, pretending to read the paper. But as I sat down next ot him on the couch, I could, once again, feel his eyes on me. 

"I know you're looking at me," I said, watching his face turn a bright beet red. 

"That's a lie," He replied, trying to hide his face in the newspaper.

"And that's why your face is brighter than a ripe tomato?" I asked, laughing. "Anyway, your mom went shopping for baby stuff, right? Do you know when she'll be back?

"Sometime before dinner." 

I yawned, "Alright. I'm gonna take a nap then." I layed down on my half of the couch and closed my eyes.

"Wait, what? Here?" He asked. 

I nodded, yawning again. 

He got up and I fell asleep. What felt like seconds later, a blanket was covering me, and I felt warm lips touch my cheek. They lingered for several long moments and it felt as if my cheek was on fire. I smiled. 

"I need sleep, Bailey." I whispered, my eyes still shut.

After another long moment, he got up, kissed my head, and presumably left the room. 

______________________

550 reads and 12 votes despite the fact I haven't uploaded in 3 months?!?! You have no clue how happy that makes me feel!! I thought this story was terrible! (:

If anything doesn't make sense, please tell me. I kinda read the story again this weekend before writing this smidgen of a chapter. I just got in the mood, and yeah...

As for the video one the side, 1D is amazaynnnnn. I'm obsessed!! Harry Potter and One Direction are my two obsessions. (: 

-Brewski

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

317K 4.7K 13
Meet Luke, Chance, Ben and Tim. Two brothers and two friends. Luke and Chance are brothers and along with Ben Their friend are competing to be the...
1.3K 63 24
Kaylin Podmore's sophomore year of high school is just starting out with her boyfriend of three months, Lucas Mitchell. They spent their summer toget...
5.9K 220 21
This is the story of two friends as they journey through life as teenagers. Skylar Jones is a horse lovin, stubborn 17 year old girl. And with her ho...
1.1K 16 39
*GirlXGirl* Jessica lives in the perfect neighborhood. Having nice people around in a place she grew up in, is the best thing. But she is about to mo...