The Quest

By delusional_wanderer

Alannah is no stranger to adventure, having been raised by the wizard, Gandalf the Grey. Having little memor... More

Prologue: The tale of Galadhel & Alatar
The Quest: Chapter 1
The Quest: Chapter 2
The Quest: Chapter 3
The Quest: Chapter 4
The Quest: Chapter 5
The Quest: Chapter 6
The Quest: Chapter 7
The Quest: Chapter 8
The Quest: Chapter 9
The Quest: Chapter 10
The Quest: Chapter 11
The Quest: Chapter 12
The Quest: Chapter 13
The Quest: Chapter 14
The Quest: Chapter 15
The Quest: Chapter 16
The Quest: Chapter 17
The Quest: Chapter 18
The Quest: Chapter 19
The Quest: Chapter 20
The Quest: Chapter 21
The Quest: Chapter 22
The Quest: Chapter 23
The Quest: Chapter 24
The Quest: Chapter 25
The Quest:Chapter 26
The Quest: Chapter 27
The Quest: Chapter 28
The Quest: Chapter 29
The Quest: Chapter 30
The Quest: Chapter 31
The Quest: Chapter 32
The Quest: Chapter 34
The Quest: Chapter 35
The Quest: Chapter 36
The Quest: Chapter 37
The Quest: Chapter 38
The Quest: Chapter 39
The Quest: Chapter 40
The Quest Chapter 41
The Quest: Chapter 42
The Quest: Chapter 43
The Quest Chapter 44
The Quest Chapter 45
The Quest Chapter 46
The Quest Chapter 47
The Quest: Chapter 48
The Quest Chapter 49
The Quest Chapter 50
The Quest: Chapter 51
THE QUEST: Chapter 52
Epilogue: We're here

The Quest: Chapter 33

4K 121 19
By delusional_wanderer

Alannah grew nervous as her and Tauriel drew closer to the foothills of the mountains of Mirkwood. The bright skies began to darken, and the birdsong had ceased as the two friends kept their hands on the swords at their hips. If they hadn't known better, they would have thought another storm was coming but as they looked south towards Dol Goldur, they knew it to be a storm of a different sort.

"We should turn back. If Legolas didn't want you to come here, I'm sure he had good reason." Tauriel called out as she trotted behind. Alannah ignored her suggestion, instead quickening her horses pace. She had many questions she wanted answered. What lies at the map location and who sent it to her in the first place? Why did her husband not want her to travel there? Alannah pulled out the map and glanced at it once again, realizing they were almost there.

"Come Tauriel, not much longer and we will arrive. Once I see what lies there we will turn around and be home by nightfall." Alannah promised. Tauriel pulled her horse alongside Alannah's and glanced at the map in her hand.

"We should leave our horses and go the rest of the way on foot. Take as much precaution as we can." Tauriel offered. Alannah nodded her head, noticing Tauriel was satisfied that she finally agreed to anything she had suggested. The two quickly tied their horse's reigns to a nearby tree and began walking towards the maps destination.

The forest was silent as they continued walking together, the shadows of the Mirkwood Mountains looming in the distance. Alannah noticed Tauriel glancing at her from time to time, turning her head away each time she tried to catch her.

"What is it?" Alannah finally asked, curious what her friend was looking at. Tauriel suddenly blushed, caught red handed.

"Forgive me. I've always been told about the changes after one's married but never actually seen it. Even your voice sounds different." Tauriel confessed. Alannah raised her eyebrow as she looked at her, not having noticed any changes in herself.

"What do you mean I sound different?" Alannah asked curiously, listening for the difference in her voice as she spoke.

"You still sound like yourself, but, it's almost as if I can hear Legolas's voice mingling with yours. Just the faintest of whisper barely beneath your own. It's beautiful hearing both of your souls joined in such a way." Tauriel explained. Alannah was surprised to hear what Tauriel had said, now curious to hear Legolas speak once she returned to see if she could hear it in his voice.

Soon, they came to a clearing in the woods and Alannah stopped in her tracks, sensing something. The trees swayed slightly in the breeze, giving hint of the sunlight above them. Alannah looked around her, noting the flowers lining an old, narrow path and suddenly leaned up against a nearby tree. She was suddenly overwhelmed, feeling as if she had been there before. Tauriel stood close to her, placing her hand on Alannah's shoulder as she centered herself.

"Erulisse..." The tree whispered to Alannah as if it were speaking to an old friend. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes as she quickly realized where she was. She shakily grasped the tree, overcome with emotion as she ran her hands across its bark.

"Alannah?" Tauriel quickly grew concerned for her as she saw the emotions dance across her face. Alannah pushed herself off the tree, keeping her eye to the ground as she followed the familiar dirt path.

"I've been here Tauriel. It's my home." Alannah choked out. Tauriel followed her down the path, feeling a sudden sadness closing in around them. The end of the trail led them to a small cottage, or what used to be one. Alannah looked at her family's childhood home as it lay in ruin. Vines and various plants had grown over the dilapidated fixture, the forest having reclaimed it for its own. She took a deep breath as she walked up to the door that hung from its hinges, debating on whether she should turn back. Going inside would certainly bring her one of two possible things: closure or heartache.

Alannah pushed the door gently, only for it to collapse onto the ground revealing the rotten wood. Tauriel remained outside on guard as Alannah went inside, hoping her friend would quickly return. The air inside was thick and musty, having been undisturbed for decades. The furniture had almost completely decayed, and the floor was covered in dirt, supposedly being tracked in by various wildlife. Alannah stood in the center of her former home, troubled by what she should or shouldn't feel. The open door on the other side of the room caught her eye and suddenly her heart sank into the pit of her stomach. She knew very well what was once on the other side and it caused her to fear what would be there now. As she walked towards it, she swallowed her fear, determined to make peace with the tragedy that had occurred so long ago. Her hand trembled as she turned the doorknob and pushed it open. The dark room looked much the same as it did in her dream. Various objects lay strewn about the room: books, old clothing, papers that had long lost their ink due to fading. The bed had crumbled due to old age and exposure as sit lay in a heap in the center of the room. Alannah took a deep breath to steady her nerves as she looked to the floor, anticipating seeing the skeletal remains of her parents. She gasped in shock at what she saw before a sudden rumbling emitted from the earth beneath her, causing the cottage to finally collapse and bury her beneath.

~

Legolas sat on the throne tending to his father's duties. He was surprised by the vast number of letters and gifts that were still arriving to congratulate them on their wedding. Another pile was quickly whisked away to the quarters he and Alannah shared. As each hour passed, he grew more anxious for Alannah to return to him. Legolas was glad to see her so enthused to explore the woodland realm, but the map they had received the night before raised a caution in his heart. He remembered many years ago some of the elven guards had stumbled upon it, only to report a horrible scene within the small cottage house that resided there. Legolas kicked himself for not putting the pieces of the puzzle together when Alannah told him of what she learned about her parent's death and felt it best her not to visit that place until she was ready to.

"Another letter my lord." An elven squire held up a rolled parchment to Legolas. He waved it away, his mind preoccupied.

"Put it with the rest mellon nin, when my wife returns we will open them all together." Legolas responded as he leaned back into the throne.

"I don't believe it is a gift or word of congratulations. It bears the sigil of the king of Gondor." The squire explained as he held the letter in his hands. Legolas excitedly jumped from his throne and took the letter from the squire. The wax seal did indeed bear the white tree of Gondor as Legolas inspected it. He quickly opened it and read each word of the letter from his dear friend, smiling as he rolled up the parchment and handed it back to the elf that stood before him.

"Alannah and I have been invited to spend the summer in Minas Tirith. Promptly respond and accept the invitation on our behalf." Legolas ordered as he watched the squire quickly depart to do as he was bid. The sun shining through the large windows signaled to Legolas that it would be dark soon and still, Alannah has not returned. He quickly walked to the rooms he shared with her and lay the parchment on top of the gifts on the table. The empty bed caught his attention and suddenly, he missed her more than he ever had. The warmth of her body pressed close to his as they lay in their own state of perfection and bliss was the only thing he could think of. Legolas sighed as he began to pace back and forth when suddenly, the slightest of tremors could be felt beneath his feet.

"Legolas!" Alannah's voice screamed out in his head. Legolas felt his heart sink when her cry was immediately silenced. Panicked, Legolas ran over to the armoire and reached for the box on the top shelf he had pushed out of easy reach. When he opened it and saw the map missing, he immediately grabbed his bow and daggers and tossed his diadem on the bed. The beating of his heart quickened as Alannah's did, panicked and pained.

"Tolo!" Legolas called out as he left their rooms. Several elven guards immediately came to his side, ready to carry out his commands.

"We leave now, to the mountains of Mirkwood." Legolas explained as he led them out of the king's halls and outside into the forest. The sun would be setting soon and as Legolas mounted his horse with his portion of the elven army, he only hoped it was not too late to reach her.

~

"Alannah!" Tauriel screamed as the cottage collapsed. A gush of dirt filled her lungs and she bent over, gasping for air between coughs. She desperately began to dig through the rubble, fearing the worst for her friend.

Alannah blinked her eyes as she lay pinned beneath the rubble. She saw only darkness as she looked around, realizing what had happened. Luckily, she didn't feel any pain in her body as she lay trapped and decided to try to move and see if she could free herself. Alannah attempted to wiggle and twist herself free to no avail. All was silent except for the distant sound of Tauriel trying to dig her out.

She opened her mouth to shout to Tauriel but found herself unable to speak. Words failed to exit her mouth as she tried a second time. She lay there perplexed when another tremor shook the earth, burying her deeper beneath the rubble. Suddenly, a flickering light in the darkness caught her attention as it slowly moved towards her.

"Erulisse, why did you come here?" A voice spoke from the moving orb. Alannah immediately recognized it as the voice that guided her when she took Galadriel's elixir in Rohan. "You cannot speak with your lips child. Your voice comes from within."

Alannah focused on the light, now questioning why she had come here in the first place.

"I.. don't know why I've come here." Alannah admitted telepathically. She lay her head back and felt her eyes beginning to fill with tears. "Somehow, I knew where the map led. I had to see it for myself."

Alannah gasped as she began to float, looking down at her now sleeping body beneath her.

"You keep tripping child because you are not looking ahead. Stop looking behind or you will not fulfill your purpose." The voice rang out. The light began to wrap itself around Alannah as she hovered above, watching as Tauriel sorted through the rubble before whistling for her horse and taking off back towards home to get help.

"Your past is no more, much like that structure that has fallen on you. Keep looking back at it and you will remain trapped much as you are now. However, your presence is not here without purpose. Are you ready?"

Alannah watched as Tauriel vanished into the tree line, knowing soon that Legolas and the remainder of the elven army from home would arrive shortly. She nodded towards the glowing orb before a bright flash blinded her eyes, beginning her second and final journey into the unknown.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.1K 1.2K 8
𝐀𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐚 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐀𝐥𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐚 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐠𝐨𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐚𝐫, 𝐚 𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐨𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭�...
201K 4.8K 19
Jessica has never really fit into her family. Her brother Eustace, has always been the focus in the family. Her father and mother don't really like h...
29.8K 1K 42
Kairi Aria had been working for Scotland Yard for almost a year without incident. She had been very successful in remaining unnoticed by her coworker...
166K 12.6K 42
Enemies to lovers- Boss/employee- Bickering and Bantering- Billionaire romance Second chance romance HEA romance novel If it weren't for bad luck, I'...