The Academy

By JSmidt

*Ranked 2nd in Work in Progress on 9 May* *Ranked 26th in Science Fiction on 21 May* Nicholas Stryder is fi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 (Final Chapter)
To My Readers....We Did It!

Chapter 9

429 61 7
By JSmidt

Chapter 9

Unlike his dreams, the reptilian creature hadn't disappeared yet. However, other than Beth, no one seemed to take note of it.

"What...what happened?" Someone had to have a good explanation for why Nick felt like he had almost died.

Naomi shook her head, offering no explanation. All the first years avoided his eye contact, even Trent, and Nick was just about to ask Beth when-

"-Well, that was quite the show buddy." Keith had appeared, and Nick wondered if that grin ever left his face. "You aren't going to make random seizures a habit are ya?"

"That bad?" Nick really had little recollection of what had happened, other than the mind-numbing pain.

"Well, there was a lot of shaking, and squirming. Oh, and a scream like you were dying." He placed a hand on Nick's shoulder. "Seriously man, if we're going to be friends, I'm going to need ya to be a bit more...composed."

"I'm not sure what happened..." He looked past Keith, but Beth seemed to have stepped back away from the crowd, eyes still watching the figure above him intently.

As if on que, are you going to keep ignoring me? Nick jumped before he could stop himself, causing Keith and Naomi to eye him suspiciously. Don't worry Nicholas, they can't see or hear me.

He wasn't sure how to respond, and he didn't want to seem like he was talking to the air. I can hear your thoughts Nicholas. And no, you aren't going crazy, and yes, I am going to become insulted if you just act like I am not here.

"Now that the show is done, we need to head to the auditorium." Keith pulled Nick away from the voice in his head, if just for a moment.

"Keith's right, we still have a full day ahead of us." Naomi motioned to Keith. "Would you mind taking them on a little run to the auditorium?"

"My pleasure." The way Keith answered make Nick nervous. "If you fall behind, you're going to regret it." Keith shouted at the first years, before he turned and started running. It took a moment before the first years seemed to realize what was going on, and then suddenly they were all scrambling after Keith.

Nick turned to follow, but Naomi stopped him. "Are you sure you're alright Nicky?"

He nodded, unsure how to answer, but suddenly wanting more than anything to prove to Naomi that he was indeed alright.

"Very well, better catch up with the others than." She offered him a smile and disappeared. He really needed to learn how they did that.

"You have no idea what is happening Nick." Beth stopped him this time. He was really going to have to sprint to catch up with the group at this rate.

Beth looked lazily at the handful of first years that seemed to have followed her. "Of these first years, only three have the anywhere near the potential you do Nick. Don't throw away your gift." She turned and walked away, the first year Spooks following her. This time, Nick could clearly see a bird sitting upon her shoulder.

I like her." The creature was in his mind again and had lowered itself so that it was hovering at eye level with Nick. On another note, shouldn't you be hurrying after your peers?

Nick cursed as he realized the creature was right and took off sprinting in the direction Keith had headed.

"What's going on?" Asking questions in his mind seemed strange.

Has anyone explained the energy that flows within you Nicholas? The creature was flying easily ahead of Nick.

"Just that I have an affinity for the four different types, and that my Physical affinity is the highest." He thought for a moment. "And Naomi mentioned it could give us increased physical capabilities. Nick's energy had healed him, before it tried to kill him.

It amazes me how little they teach you humans. Alas, I suppose I am supposed to be your guide.

"My guide?"

More or less. My kind has always served to guide the humans we deemed worthy. 

Nick was trying to listen to the creature, but he was also worried about catching up with the group of Physicals.

I will make sure you catch up with them, trust me. It is important we speak now. The creature stopped in front of him, forcing him to halt as well.

First and foremost, allow me to introduce myself. The creature spread his wings wide. My name Is Dagrientas, which I know is difficult for humans to pronounce. You may call me Dagr.

"Promise me you will make sure I am not late, Dagr." Nick really didn't want to know what Keith had in mind for those who couldn't keep up.

I will never lie to you Nicholas. I gave you my word. Now please, let me continue.

"Very well."

My race comes from another dimension and has a long history with humankind. In the past, our worlds were nearly connected, much as it is now, and we helped humans to grow and develop. Eventually, when the elders of our world felt humans would be able to grow without our guidance, they pulled our world apart from yours, leaving tales of my kind to be myths and legends for humanity.

Dagr's words were making little sense, and yet they fascinated Nick.

The elders of my world sensed a grave threat to both your world and mine, and that is why eventually they brought our two worlds together again. Now, humans can once again benefit from our energy seeping into your dimension, which grants a small amount of humanity abilities far beyond those of a normal human. We understand if your dimension falls to this threat, ours will soon follow.

"So, the energy I have an affinity with is from your dimension. How does that explain your appearance though? And what happened when I tried to use that energy earlier?"

A select few humans have enough of an affinity for spiritual energy that we can link ourselves to them and cross the dimensional bridge to take shape in the human realm. You are one such human, and as such, you and I are now linked.

Nick didn't know what to make of this news, but Dagr still had to answer he second question. "And when I tried to use my energy?"

Ah, there is the impatience humans are known for. As you mentioned before, there are four different types of energy. How they react within humans differs on the type of energy. Physical energy can flow freely through your body, as it will simply augment you, which is what gives Physicals their increased abilities and the ability to heal.

"And the others?"

The other three, are dangerously volatile. Humans must harness those energies, and control them carefully, otherwise the human will be ripped apart. When you opened yourself to the physical energy, you opened yourself to all four.

"So why didn't they?" Dagr's description explained the pain Nick had felt, but why wasn't he dead?

When you gave me control, I pulled the energy from your body, using it to open a dimensional rift and come through. Once I had fully connected to you, I sealed your energy away, to keep you safe. When you are ready, I will help you master them.

"Why me?" Nick had chosen to be a physical, why did he have a creature that required a spiritual link?

Few humans have the affinity needed for us to form a spiritual link, Beth mentioned that to you. And you I have been watching for quite some time, and I have taken an interest in you.

"But why?"

We can talk later, Beth's spirit animal has just informed me the groups are arriving, and as promised, I will make sure you arrive as well.

Dagr landed lightly on Nick's shoulders, wrapping himself across both, his tail falling down Nick's chest. Suddenly, a green energy enveloped them. A strange tingling ran across Nick's skin, and suddenly he was no longer standing in an empty field, but instead at the back of the physical group.

All the first years were bent over, panting. Naomi and Keith stood lazily at the front of the group, smiles on their faces. It seemed they had just arrived.

Don't worry Nicholas, only spirituals with enough affinity can see me. Dagr answered his question before it had even completely formed in his mind. He wondered just how much Dagr could read of his mind.

All of it. He was certain Dagr was laughing.

"I am impressed you all managed to keep up!" Keith shouted to the group, a beaming smile on his face. He beckoned to a massive building behind them, their destination. "I would like to officially welcome each of you to the Great Hall of the Academy, where your orientation will truly begin!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 161 33
|18X FEATURED| Daniel Matton wasn't ready for an adventure, not until 3023 sent him into space on a journey to prehistoric times. The prehistoric ani...
93.4K 1.9K 27
DISCLAIMER I wrote this my self I know the idea isn't original and if I copied someone sorry I didn't mean to. Please don't repost and if you see it...
51.4K 2.6K 15
Two years after the war, and Harry's content with his life. OK, so it's a little annoying that he keeps winning Witch Weekly's Most Eligible Bachelor...
843K 12.7K 46
(Completed) -------------------- The story is beginning from year three at Hogwarts. You are a kind Slytherin girl and don't like Malfoy, because you...