The Academy

By JSmidt

*Ranked 2nd in Work in Progress on 9 May* *Ranked 26th in Science Fiction on 21 May* Nicholas Stryder is fi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 (Final Chapter)
To My Readers....We Did It!

Chapter 4

511 66 4
By JSmidt

Chapter 4

The door from the exam room led Nick into an empty hallway, and with no guidance on what to do, he found himself walking aimlessly down it. His mind felt muddled from everything Alana had told him, and he was certain he had seen something beside her before he left.

His pondering was cut short as the hallway opened up into a large space. Nick could see children milling about with their parents, a fraction of the number as those who had been waiting to take the exam. It would seem passing the exam was not a common occurrence.

Nick scanned the room, looking for his sister's tell-tale blonde hair, and after a few moments saw her standing with his mother, their backs turned towards him. Silently he approached, hoping to surprise them, but as he neared, his mother turned in his direction.

"I knew it!" She shouted excitedly, and rushed towards him, face shining from both happiness, and tears. He returned her warm embrace, and smiled over her shoulder at Becca, who gave him a small smirk back.

"Perhaps you aren't as hopeless as you look." Her words were cruel, but they held a playful undertone.

"We're twins, so if I look hopeless, so do you." He cracked a grin at her, and they both started laughing, the pressure of the exam having lifted completely, leaving euphoria and relief behind.

"So, where are we?" Nick asked as he looked around once more. The room was rather large, but there appeared to be no exit to the room, simply hallways leading from what he suspected were all the exam rooms

"That, is a secret you will find out soon enough." His mother replied mysteriously as she took a step back to look both her children over. "I want you two to experience the same thrill and surprise as I did when I was here, long ago." She looked around at the room. "Promise me, when you two go the Academy, you will look out for each other."

"I highly doubt Nick and I will be in the same school." Becca replied. Nick was pretty certain she choose intellectual.

"The schools all intermingle at times at the Academy outside of their training. Your father and I were not of the same school, but the Academy is where our relationship bloomed."

"You went to the Academy?" Nick's mother had never mentioned that fact to them before.

"Yes, I was an Intellectual, and a year behind your father."

"And he was a physical." Given what Alana had told Nick about the DRED Knights that was the only course that made senese.

"Yes, he was the best Physical the Academy had ever had. His prowess made him quite popular as well, and he definitely seemed to let that go to his head at times..." Her eyes started to grow distant as she remembered her past.

"You've never actually told us how the two of you met." Becca chimed in, looking at their mom with interest.

"I haven't? Would you like to know while we wait?"

"Wait for..." Nick began.

"...Yes!" Becca seemed suddenly excited, and completely cut Nick off.

"Alright. Well, as I stated, your father was a year older than I, and had already made a name for himself as a prodigy when I arrived. All the girls wanted to be with him, and all the guys wished they could be him. He and I were complete opposites."

"So what happened?" Becca prompted.

"For some reason, he seemed to take an interest in me, and I found him constantly popping up wherever I was at the Academy. I tried to avoid him, because I didn't like the type of attention that followed him around, but for some reason, he always appeared near me. The more I tried to get away, the more I seemed to see him."

"So he was stalking you..." Becca's voice was flat.

"It seemed that way...and his continued interest in me started to cause a feeling within me to grow. I started to smile as I saw him near me, and caught myself glancing back, just to check he was still there wherever I went. One day, I decided to approach him, and for some strange reason, I asked him out."

She looked at Becca and smiled. "It seems he wasn't expecting the first words spoken between us to be those, so it took him a moment to respond. Suddenly, the man who everyone looked up to, lost his cool and collected composure. Others took notice of our interaction, and I could see their presence at his moment of vulnerability unsettled him."

"What did he do?" Becca seemed really interested in his story. Nick only found himself partially paying attention as he watched a few more children trickling in here and there.

"Well, at first he started to laugh, a nervous laugh that he forced out, as he eyed all those around us. I was so embarrassed, humiliated even, that I could feel tears starting to form in my eyes. I went to strike him, and to my surprise, he let me hit him. The pain that went through my hand after I struck him I'll never forget, it was like I had punched a wall."

Their mother looked down at her hand, and smiled. "But then, what he did after that, made me fall in love with him. He reached down and gently wiped a tear from my eye, and told me he would make sure I never felt pain or sorrow again. Then, suddenly I was in his arms, and his lips were pressed against mine, for all those around us to see. From that moment on, he was my protector, my guardian, and my love." Her eyes started to tear up, and Nick felt a sadness fill the air between the three of them, as the fact he was no longer with them resurfaced.

"He would be so proud of you two." She whispered.

Before Nick or Rebecca could respond, commotion at the back of the large room caught their attention.

"Could I please have your attention?" A large man wearing a green uniform called out. "I understand you are all in the midst of celebrating your passing of the exam. However, it is now time to board the shuttle to the Academy." He motioned at the empty wall behind him. Suddenly, the wall was splitting open, revealing a large door.

"This door will lead you to the Academy shuttle. Once everyone has been loaded onto it, we will depart for the Academy. Once you step through this door, there is no turning back, and I cannot tell you when you will next be able to see your family. Please use this time to finalize your goodbyes, and hurry to the shuttle."

"I thought I had prepared myself for this moment." Their mother started, tears falling freely from her face. "I, I love you both, and am so proud of you." Nick and Rebecca both stepped in to embrace her. He could feel her body shaking, and was aware of the hot tears from her touching his skin.

"I love you mom." He whispered, trying to keep his voice strong. He was suddenly overcome by countless emotions, and pulled away quickly before he could succumb to them.

"I'll save you a seat, Becca." He said as he stepped away, knowing the two of them would need a little more time.

He joined the group of children walking through the door. It led into a hallway with clear walls, revealing a massive shuttle bay. A rounded transport ship sat at the end of the hallway for the children to board. The ship was nondescript, common practice for the CCUP, save for a strange tank sitting atop it. From Nick's understanding, CCUP ships didn't need fuel tanks, because they had switched to self-contained nuclear energy long ago.

He didn't have time to ponder the tank though, as he found himself stepping into the shuttle's doorway. Children were scattered about here and there, and Nick wondered if enough had passed to even fill up the large transport ship. He picked a spot with an empty seat next to it, and closed his eyes, trying to process all that had just gone on while he waited for Becca.

"Is, is this seat taken?" A sheepish female voice caused him to open his eyes. A girl he had never seen before was motioning to the seat beside him. He glanced around, noting all the empty seats, before taking a look back at the girl.

"I'm sorry, I'm saving it for my sister." Her brown eyes grew crestfallen at his response, and she turned to walk away. It was only then Nick realized how pretty she was, and he silently cursed himself as she left. He had lived an isolated life, he wasn't used to interaction outside of his mother and sister.

"Who was that?" Becca asked as she sat down beside him, her eyes red rimmed from crying.

"I'm, not sure...she asked if she could sit next to me." He was following the girl with his eyes, watching as she sat down by herself.

"Hmm, terrible taste." Becca muttered.

Before he could respond, a loud chime echoed throughout the cabin.

"We will now begin our take-off sequence. I ask that each and every one of you please fasten your restraints, and stand by for takeoff."

Nick and Becca fastened their restraints, and Nick could feel excitement building. He had never been off the colony before. He looked at Becca, wanting to ask her about her exam, but as he opened his mouth to speak, a yawn came out instead.

"That's....strange." Was all he was able to get out before he fell asleep. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 161 33
|18X FEATURED| Daniel Matton wasn't ready for an adventure, not until 3023 sent him into space on a journey to prehistoric times. The prehistoric ani...
93.4K 1.9K 27
DISCLAIMER I wrote this my self I know the idea isn't original and if I copied someone sorry I didn't mean to. Please don't repost and if you see it...
I Am No Prey By Amal

Science Fiction

3.2K 607 14
Book 1 of the Rising Phoenix trilogy. Would you choose love over peace? Two months away from her graduation day, all Cerise wants is to keep up her...
25.4K 4.1K 62
❝The universe is full of stars. If it weren't for them, the galaxies wouldn't be bright and the night sky would be a lifeless veil of blue because on...