The Academy

De JSmidt

*Ranked 2nd in Work in Progress on 9 May* *Ranked 26th in Science Fiction on 21 May* Nicholas Stryder is fi... Mai multe

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 (Final Chapter)
To My Readers....We Did It!

Chapter 3

609 66 5
De JSmidt

Chapter 3

The first thing Nick noticed once all his senses returned, was that he was no longer on the floor. Instead, he seemed to be laying in a chair, looking up into a dim light. He tried to raise himself from the chair, but realized his body was still heavy and nonresponsive, so all he could do was glance around to try and take in the situation.

"Ah, it seems you are awake." A voice from outside his line of sight. "Tell me, what is your name young man?" The voice was feminine; soft and quiet. It had a calming effect on Nick, and he relaxed into the chair, at least for the moment.

"My name is Nicholas Stryder." He noted a hint of confusion and anxiety in his voice, and cursed himself for sounding more confident.

"Another Stryder? Hmm, that does explain your resemblance to the young lady who was last in here, a Miss Rebecca Stryder." Footsteps sounded behind Nick as the voice spoke.

"Did she pass?" He knew deep down she would be accepted, but he needed to know for sure.

"She did indeed, she was quite extraordinary in fact. Very bright and talented, but I am sure you knew that about your sister." The voice was directly behind him, and as he strained to identify its source, she stepped fully into view. The unnamed speaker was glad in a golden uniform, and even though she referred to him as young man, she seemed hardly older than Nick.

"Who...who are you?"

"Are you wondering my name? Or who I am in relation to the test?" The women's green eyes sparkled with amusement as she spoke. "It doesn't matter, I'll tell you both. My name is Alana Grant, and am currently a fourth year at the Academy. I am your test administrator."

Alana lifted her hand in air, causing a holographic chart to appear. She stared at it, face lost in thought, and then with a flick of her wrist shrunk the screen to the size of a tablet.

Another wave of her wrist, and the chair Nick was in came to a sitting position. With Nick now sitting straight in the chair, she brought the tablet towards his lap so he could see what she was looking at.

"So, Nicholas..."

"Nick" he interjected.

"So Nick." Her slight smile as she said his name made Nick shift slightly. "If you are ready, I can explain the results of your test to you." She motioned towards the hologram before him, and suddenly the outline of a human body appeared.

"This is a scan of your body." Colors suddenly swirled across the screen throughout his body. "And these colors correlate to the exam, and are what we evaluate to decide those who are worthy of going to the Academy."

"And what do the colors measure?"

Another smile from Alana, her eyes gleaming. "They measure your true potential." She paused, starring at him, letting him ponder what she meant.

"And what exactly, does that mean?"

"Well, the different colors represent your affinity for certain....aspects which the CCUP has deemed are greatly important for the future of mankind. Those who do not have an affinity cannot attend the Academy."

"So, what you're saying is I have an affinity....which means I'll be going to the Academy, right?" Nick needed to know, before his mind could start to process anything else.

"Yes Nick, you will be joining your sister at the Academy." Her words brought a deep sense of relief, but now his mind began to wonder about what exactly this affinity talk meant.

"And, what exactly are these affinities?"

"To put it simply, they measure your ability to manipulate specialized energy sources that have entered our dimension through a link with another alien dimension. Nick just stared as Alana continued. "The test you underwent, was your body being fully exposed to this other realm, testing how well your body reacted, and opening it up to being absorbing and utilize this energy force."

Alana paused, to make sure Nick was following. All he could do was stare back at her, mind trying it's hardest to process what she was saying. He had learned about dimensional theory, but it was just a theory...he didn't think it actually existed. What was next, time travel?

"Most humans can come in contact with the other realm, and will have no reaction, and those are the ones sent to help gather resources for the greater good of mankind. Those who do show an affinity, are capable of surpassing what a normal human is capable of, and as such are sent to the Academy, in order to master control over this energy."

She pointed towards the swirls of color. "Each color represents a different type of energy, which gives an individual a different, ability, they can master. Blue energy, which you have a great affinity for, is classified as physical energy." Nick thought of how much he had trained his body, and felt physical ability made sense.

"Green energy, which is your second strongest, represents spiritual energy."

"Spiritual...energy?"

"Your ability to link to other dimensions and planes of existence." She said it so simply, even though Nick's view of the world was being shattered by her

"Other planes?"

"I'm sure you're thinking of those horror films of ghost and demon planes. Those are not...quite what I mean. Sadly, as your administrator, I cannot go into more detail on that subject, it will be covered at the Academy in due time.

She motioned back to the hologram.

"The yellow energy is mental energy, which effects your intellectual capabilities. Any comment on that one?"

"No...that one seems to make sense." He didn't like how little yellow energy he saw compared to the green and blue. He knew he wasn't as smart as Rebecca, but now he was suddenly self-conscious of his mental capacities.

"And this," Alana magnified the image, so that the faintest hint of red could be seen swirling around, "is your mystical energy. Mystical energy reveals your aptitude for otherworldly powers, which was once referred to as magic."

"Magic...?" He could understand, if barely, the idea of other planes, and physical and mental energy seemed pretty self-explanatory. However, in a world dictated by science, the concept of magic was foreign to Nick.

"It would be easier to demonstrate than explain." Alana held her hand out, closing her eyes in concentration as she did. As Nick watched, a ball of crimson light burst into life in her palm, growing slowly, taking on a flame like shape. Alana opened her eyes, smiled at Nick, and tossed the ball of fire towards the wall. Upon impact, a red flash temporarily blinded Nick, and as his vision came back, black scorch marks marred the metallic wall.

"Magic." Alana said, appearing to take pleasure in Nick's dumbfounded expression. "Everything you thought knew is about to change Nick, and the Academy is going to open your eyes to a whole new world."

She waved towards the hologram in front of him, breaking the temporary spell that had overcome Nick, and directed him towards a new chart. Four charts appeared, each matching one of the four colors, with different percentage next to each.

"These graphs show your calculated success in the four different schools at the Academy. Each school deals with a different specialty, with each student granted the opportunity to choose which school they can attend, as long as they have some level of affinity for it.

"What do you mean, some level of affinity?"

"Not everyone has an affinity for all four, in fact, most students only have one, and at most, two affinities." She pointed at the chart, "that being said, your Mystical chances of success are at 2 percent, and intellectual is at 40 percent, so I would vote both of those out."

Her hand moved to the spirit energy next. "Now, your spiritual affinity puts you at a 78 percent success rate, which you may want to consider....we rarely have decent spiritual candidates." Nick didn't pay much heed to her statement, because his eyes had already moved to the next chart.

"And if you choose to become a Physical, you have a 97 percent chance of succeeding. To complete the exam, I need you to tell me which school you wish to pursue."

"What happens after someone graduates from their schools?"

"Ah, each path leads to a different career path, to better benefit the CCUP and mankind. Physicals take care of security, with their elites becoming members of the DRED Corps. Intellectuals are responsible for handling education, as well as official roles in government. Spirituals and mystical use their unique abilities to either aid in the war against outside threats, or to better improve life for mankind as seen fit by the CCUP."

"What does it take to become an elite in the physicals?" Nick wanted to know how close his goal was.

"The top 5 percent of physicals are allowed the chance to become pilots in the DRED Corps, otherwise known as DRED knights. The remaining physicals handle colony and planetary security and defense.

Nick looked at the chart, confirming again his 97percent chance of success as a physical, and knew the path he was going to take. "I'll become a physical."

Alanna nodded, and with a wave of her hand, the holo-screen turned blue and disappeared.

"Congratulations on your acceptance to the Academy Nick. I look forward to seeing you around." She gave him a genuine smile, and motioned towards the door at the end of the room. Nick realized he could move again, and got up slowly from the chair.

"Thank you." It was lame, but that's all he could think to say as he started towards the door. As it slid open, signaling the start of his new life, he looked back once more at Alanna. Her hand was at her ear, likely telling the official to send the next individual in, but she gave him one last smile. In that instance, even as Nick started to turn his head away from her, and he began walking through the door and to his future, a thought crossed his mind.

"What school do you attend?" He called back, but the door closed before she could give response. He did see her smile though, and Nick could have sworn, for just a second, he had seen what appeared to be a wolf at her side, watching Nick with inquisitive eyes.  

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

100 3 2
Growing up the son of a fairy King - Easy. Being accepted to the fiercest, strongest, fairy warrior army ever to protect the realm - Easy. Making t...
3.5K 138 24
All Draco did was look back, before he suddenly drew a deep breath, closed his eyes as if to draw strength and then said something that would bring b...
The Weaponsmaster De DarkeningSkies

Ficțiune adolescenți

961 25 50
I wrote this story a while ago, so I don't remember as much about it as I would like to, but here goes: Drea lost her brother years ago, but she can'...
25.4K 4.1K 62
❝The universe is full of stars. If it weren't for them, the galaxies wouldn't be bright and the night sky would be a lifeless veil of blue because on...