Family With Honour (Book 4)

By randomthoughts96

Lord Bear Usani has dealt with a great many of emotions through his life: happiness, excitement, victory, mis... More

Author's Note
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Author's Note
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
The End...
Thirty Five - Two years later
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Nine
Forty
Forty One
Forty Two
Future plans
The Story of the Usani Brothers
Check out the new story!

Thirty Eight

4.1K 356 29
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"You did not win," he informs her, the scowl across his brows incredibly pronounced. She turns to him with one raised eyebrow and a slight up-tilt to her lips. His scowl deepens at the sight of her amusement. "You did not win," he repeats.

She shrugs her petite shoulders in reply and turns away from him to continue brushing down her horse. The breeze lifts her hair slightly and it dances until it passes and her hair sinks down her back once again. He lets out a sound of annoyance at her silence and her lips tilt upwards a little more.

"We entered into what I believed was a fair game. You cheated before it had even begun and for this you sacrifice your win."

"If you say so," she replies softly. His eyes narrow as he stares at the back of her head. He knows that she does not agree and her answer is only to rile him.

"I cannot believe I thought it wise to leave you alone with my brother." At his irritated words a giggle slips from her lips. "Ari," he warns.

Finally she turns and leans back against her trusted mare. She crosses her arms against her chest, the brush loosely held in her right hand. "Orion was a perfect gentleman. I have no idea why you would speak about wisdom in regard to this."

"You know very well that I am not speaking in reference to his behaviour towards you. You are not his type nor would he dare cross me in such a way."

"Then what do you refer to, for I am at a loss," she says, her eyes sparkling despite the dim light in the barn.

"You cheated."

"I played the game better than you. I do not regard that as cheating."

A sigh of exasperation leaves his lips. "You lied to me."

"I did," she agrees immediately. "However that does not mean I cheated."

"You..."

"We entered into a game - not a fair one I have to say. Not fair in the sense that had I not trained with Orion you would most certainly have come out the victor. Your skills are superior to mine in this area and thus a surprise attack was the only way I could achieve victory. I won and you can believe I won unfairly if you wish but I won all the same."

"I am not leaving you with my family again."

"Good." Her smile brightens and she steps forward and kisses him in the cheek. His scowl instantly disappears but an untrusting glint reflects in his dark eyes. He shakes his head and a rumbling laugh comes from his chest.

"You little minx. I promise I will not leave you behind for weeks at a time again. You have my word."

Arisxandre grins and pats his arm. "I am pleased we have come to an understanding. I do adore your family, do not mistake me, and I love to visit them but I do not appreciate being left with them because you viewed me as additional luggage on your trip."

"My assignment was not one suitable for a woman to accompany me on," Archer reminds her.

Ari nods. "I am aware. I just do not understand why you would accept it on such terms."

He rolls his eyes and goes over to his saddle bags heaped on the floor in the corner. His steed follows him, nudging his back wondering why his grooming session keeps getting interrupted. Archer pays his horse on the neck before searching through his bag. Ari watches him with undisguised curiosity. He removes something but clasped it tightly in his palm. He returns to her and holds out his empty hand to her. Cautiously she places her hand within his and they both look down at her hand. Archer speaks quietly and affectionately now. "I gave you this ring a few years ago now. It was the most I could afford at that time."

"I love it all the same."

He shakes his head and makes a shushing noise. "You cannot help but interrupt can you?" He questions with humour. She mimes locking her mouth shut. "This assignment paid extremely well and I was able to put a very dangerous man behind bars. Win win. You deserve a ring that will last and that will never tarnish." As he speaks he slips her ring off her finger and slides a new ring on. "Am I forgiven?"

"No." He chuckles at her answer. "Do you forgive me?" She squeezes his hand.

"No."

She laughs and pulls away. "Wonderful. Shall we go in to see your mother now?"

"You may go in. I am going to ride out and see Bear."

  ○ ○ ○  

"Brother!" He shouts as he canters up. Bear glances over his shoulder and pats his horse's neck as it shies to the side at the unfamiliar quickly approaching horse. His horse does not relax even when Archer slows his horse and halts beside Bear. "New horse?"

"I rescued him off of a fool who had no idea the treasure he was riding. This is a horse built for running not churning the mud in fields. I bought the man a horse more suitable for his needs and took this one off of his hands," Bear replies absentmindedly.

"Come on brother, our greetings have always been much more dramatic in the past. Do you not wish to reprimand me for my long absence again or tell me how foolish my mind is?"

"It appears you already know," Bear teases. "I have been away too so I cannot be a hypocrite. And I cannot think of a new reason to knock you to the ground."

"As if you could. My shock clouded me then, it would not again."

"If you say so." Bear's eyes dart with bewilderment to Archer when he growls. An inkling informs him that this is not the first time he has heard those words today. "I trust Ari is well."

"Perfectly. She is visiting mother so mother may not be for much longer." Both men laugh at the thought of Ari shocking their mother as she has many times before.

"Wolfe does enjoy it when you visit; it takes some of the glare off of Sparrow's behaviour. I believe Logan is the only one of us who married a woman that Mother finds acceptable."

"Well you still have the option to please or displease her..." Archer nudges with his legs and his horse follows besides Bear's who still warily eyes the other male.

"How long do you intend to stay this time?"

"A month, maybe two. Bronco wrote to me asking - more like commanding - my assistance in moving them to their new home. Are Wolfe's children so bad that all are moving away from them? I know they will take after him but surely they inherited some traits from Sparrow..." his joke falls on deaf ears and he studies his brother with concerned intent. The sun gleams down on their shoulders but the heat barely touches them as a cool breeze whisks around them. Bear finally senses the concentrated gaze and frowns at his younger brother.

"You did not hear a word I just said. Your mind is elsewhere."

"I am restless. Waiting for you to arrive has been torture. I do not belong here anymore and yet I could not leave without seeing you." The pause is heavy and Archer has the decency to duck his head in guilt. "I am tremendously relieved that Wolfe took on father's inheritance leaving me free. I will be leaving tomorrow. I do not know when I will return."

"This family only asks that you do return but we will not make you say when."

○ ○ ○

"What do we have here?" Archer leans against the doorway and crosses his arms across his strong chest. Arisxandre's shoulder's sink as she meets his eyes in the floor to ceiling mirror. Her slim and strong form is encased in soft floating white fabric. A veil of fine white lace spans down her hair, a wreath of white roses pinning it at the top. Her hands wring together, an effort to not cause wrinkles in the beautiful dress.

"A gift from your mother. I think she may be telling us something."

"You look like you did on my brother's wedding day." His mouth wrinkles in distaste.

Despite herself she snorts with laughter. "You do not think it is the same dress, do you?" Archer pushes off the post and strides up to her. He turns her slowly from side to side inspecting her closely. After many moments of careful deliberation he shakes his head.

"It is missing some very ground in grass stains. I am sure that dress had to be thrown away but this is a very convincing replica."

"Your Mother is aware we are already married," Ari says as if she needs the confirmation.

"Yes, of course she is. However I married you somewhere else and not with the grandeur that she would want. Clearly she wants us to do it again." Archer takes her hand and makes her do a twirl. He shakes his head again. "I will speak with her... unless this is what you want?"

"She told me that family should be at our wedding and that the least we could do is redo our vows. My family were there but yours were noticeably absent. Perhaps she has a point?" Her tongue darts out and licks her top lip. Her shoulders shrug slightly and she turns back to look in the mirror. They both tilt their heads to the side at the sight of her in a beautiful white gown.

"Bear will be leaving tomorrow. If family is to be present then it would have to be tonight." He pauses. "Does the dress have to be white?" He questions aloud.

"No." Arisxandre laughs. "However try convincing your mother of that. My mother is a force to be reckoned with but yours is the mother of many boys."

"I shall speak with her. In the meantime go and find Sparrow. She should have a myriad of unworn dresses and one should be suitable. It appears that tonight we will be marrying each other once again."

She turns and looks up at him. Her head tilts just slightly to the left. "At least our second wedding is still to one another...although..." She cringes and he shakes his head stepping away. "This would actually be my third..." She starts giggling and cannot stop. Archer tries to look firm and serious in the face of her mirth but he fails and gathers her into his arms, pressing a kiss to her shaking head.

"I am convinced you will be the death of me," he murmurs into her hair, the words escaping her notice as she continues to laugh at the idea. "Go, find Sparrow," he orders as he pulls away from her. He leaves the room and finds his brother once again.

His head lifts from the book he is reading with an irritated expression. The eyes clash, the separate colours seeming to display different emotions. The irritation seeps away at the sight of his younger brother. He has remained this long in order to see Archer. He should not allow a book to take over that.

"Dear brother of mine." Bear frowns just slightly, an expression of distrust appearing at Archer's words. "Do not look at me like that. I have come to ask you something of great honour." Bear grunts in disbelief. "Mother has seduced Ari over to the idea of a proper wedding. Now we get to see her scurry around trying to make that happen within a few hours. There can be no other for my second wedding than you as my 'Best Man'. I suggest you find an appropriate outfit."

Bear chuckles and replies, "I suggest you prepare for mother questioning you and dragging you into all the planning. Have fun brother and I shall see you tonight."  

Its Friday! Have a great weekend everyone and I hope you enjoyed the chapter :) Claire certainly is sneaky, isn't she? 😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 306 14
* a timeless beginning to the "Flawless" trilogy * She was going to fall, and no one would be there to save her. ...
333K 28.7K 58
The time has come for Hunter, the only illegitimate son of the late Lord Usani, to know the true meaning of family, loyalty and honour. The path ahea...
25.8K 3.4K 26
This story is the story of the fate of a girl where she has seen pain since childhood and while seeing and feeling that pain, she learns to live with...
221K 11.8K 82
He is a Soldier She is a doctor. He is rude. She is sweet. He finds solace in peace. She loves talking. He is te...