The Quest

By delusional_wanderer

Alannah is no stranger to adventure, having been raised by the wizard, Gandalf the Grey. Having little memor... More

Prologue: The tale of Galadhel & Alatar
The Quest: Chapter 1
The Quest: Chapter 2
The Quest: Chapter 3
The Quest: Chapter 4
The Quest: Chapter 5
The Quest: Chapter 6
The Quest: Chapter 7
The Quest: Chapter 8
The Quest: Chapter 9
The Quest: Chapter 10
The Quest: Chapter 11
The Quest: Chapter 12
The Quest: Chapter 13
The Quest: Chapter 14
The Quest: Chapter 15
The Quest: Chapter 16
The Quest: Chapter 17
The Quest: Chapter 18
The Quest: Chapter 19
The Quest: Chapter 20
The Quest: Chapter 21
The Quest: Chapter 22
The Quest: Chapter 23
The Quest: Chapter 25
The Quest:Chapter 26
The Quest: Chapter 27
The Quest: Chapter 28
The Quest: Chapter 29
The Quest: Chapter 30
The Quest: Chapter 31
The Quest: Chapter 32
The Quest: Chapter 33
The Quest: Chapter 34
The Quest: Chapter 35
The Quest: Chapter 36
The Quest: Chapter 37
The Quest: Chapter 38
The Quest: Chapter 39
The Quest: Chapter 40
The Quest Chapter 41
The Quest: Chapter 42
The Quest: Chapter 43
The Quest Chapter 44
The Quest Chapter 45
The Quest Chapter 46
The Quest Chapter 47
The Quest: Chapter 48
The Quest Chapter 49
The Quest Chapter 50
The Quest: Chapter 51
THE QUEST: Chapter 52
Epilogue: We're here

The Quest: Chapter 24

5.4K 162 34
By delusional_wanderer

Alannah awoke to the peaceful sounds of Rivendell. Waterfalls, rustling leaves and the faint voices of elven song drifted through the windows as she stirred. She stretched her arms above her, light from the rising sun catching the silver band on her finger. Alannah smiled softly as she replayed the prior night over in her head, her heartbreak melting away like an early morning's frost as the sun warms the grass.

"Did you sleep well meleth nin?" Legolas asked as he sat on the corner of the bed admiring her. Alannah jumped at his voice, unaware how long he had been there.

"Don't scare me!" Alannah playfully scolded as she hit his shoulder with her pillow. Legolas laughed as he jumped on top of her, pushing the hair away from her face.

"I didn't mean to scare you. I simply wished to see you wake. It feels like it's been an eternity since I've seen such a beautiful occurrence." Legolas pressed his lips to hers before rolling off the bed.

"I brought you breakfast. Once you've eaten and dressed meet me in the courtyard. I'll procure a horse for us." Legolas quickly walked out of the room, his steps light and in a hurry.

Alannah quickly ate the fruit and bread Legolas had brought her before pulling on her elven clothes. She stuffed Aragorn's coin purse in her tunic pocket in case they passed through a city where she could buy more garments suitable for the elven kingdom. She sighed as she looked at the beautiful view from her windows, hoping to be able to visit Rivendell again someday.

~

The couple travelled once again through the Misty Mountains after their departure from Rivendell. Most of the winter storms had ceased upon spring's arrival and the often dangerous and ice capped peaks were relatively easy for Legolas to traverse as they rode their horse through its winding paths. Alannah shivered against Legolas as she held onto him, forcing herself not to look down as they climbed higher and higher.

"I'm sick of mountains." Alannah whispered as he buried her face in his hair. Legolas peered over his shoulder at his shivering betrothed.

"I know my love. Once we descend, we'll stop and take a short rest." Legolas responded, aware of her fear of heights. It still surprised Alannah by how he could hear the faintest of whispers. Often, he would turn his head, scanning the areas for any threats or signs of danger, clearly hearing something that Alannah could not. He always brushed it off, the sound coming from a small animal or other creature.

She loosened her tight grip on him as they began their descent from the mountain, feeling more at ease the closer they came to the ground. As soon as they cleared the mountains and were in the foothills, Legolas led the horse to a nearby stream to drink and rest before they began their travel once again. The sun hung high in the sky and he was confident they could travel a few more hours before the horse would need to sleep. Alannah stood nearby stretching her back while Legolas watched her. His gaze explored and suggested all at once as he watched her bend and move in front of him. Alannah noticed his eyes roaming her body and quickly stopped, suddenly feeling embarrassed.

"Do you mind turning that way and ignoring me for about five minutes?" Alannah asked as she pointed the opposite direction. "I'll return quickly."

Legolas looked at her confused before realizing what she meant. "Of course, meleth nin. He'll be ready to ride when you get back." Legolas responded as he stepped closer to the horse to stroke its mane. Alannah grabbed her bag and quickly disappeared into the nearby woods, walking about fifty yards to insure her privacy. She looked in the direction she knew he was in before quickly pushing her pants down and leaning herself against a tree to relieve herself before another long ride.

A slight sound of rustling in the bushes behind startled her.

"Legolas, please! A moment's privacy!" She scolded. Suddenly an orc leapt out of its hiding spot, a sword drawn and charging towards her. Alannah was taken completely off guard as she fumbled for the sword at her waist, screaming for Legolas to come to her aid. It was too late as the orc raised its sword high above its head and Alannah raised her arms in a last-ditch effort to protect herself. She squeezed her eyes tight, waiting to feel the sharp blade hit her but instead, she heard a loud plop in front of her. She looked up to see the orc lying dead in front of her, an arrow piercing its head. Legolas quickly jumped out of the thick of the woods and pulled her to her feet. Alannah pulled her pants up quickly, her cheeks burning with embarrassment.

"Next time, I'm coming with you." Legolas asserted before recovering his arrow. He stopped suddenly, the faint scent of blood grabbing his attention, and ran back to Alannah searching her body over.

"What are you doing?!" Alannah protested as he turned her around in front of him.

"You're injured. I'm trying to find where you're bleeding. Tell me where you're hurt." He commanded in a gentle but worried tone. Alannah knew full well she was unharmed when suddenly, it dawned on her.

"Legolas. Go back to the horse." Alannah whispered as she reached for her bag nearby. Legolas stayed, unmoving from his spot.

"No. I'm not leaving you alone out here. There may be more." Legolas pulled his bow to the front, scanning the area for additional threats. Alannah silently cursed him as she pulled a knitted cotton pad from a small pouch inside her bag.

"Legolas!" She hollered, her voice full of authority. Alannah held the pad behind her back as she stood in front of him. "I said go back to the horse." Legolas quickly pulled what she was hiding out behind her, worried she was hiding an injury from him. He held the knitted pad in his hand, flipping it over curiously several times. He looked at her, suddenly putting the pieces together in his head.

"Wait here meleth nin." Legolas urged as he quickly sprinted back to the horse. Alannah leaned against the tree, counting how many weeks it had been since her last cycle then scolding herself for forgetting. Within a minute, Legolas reappeared handing her a canteen of water and some clean cloth. He led her away from the orc corpse closer to the horse and stood on guard a few yards away, facing opposite of her.

Alannah quickly cleaned herself up and as soon as Legolas heard her securing the ties on her pants he walked back to retrieve her. He kissed her on the forehead softly before taking her hand and leading them both back to the waiting horse.

Alannah was grateful he didn't mention her unexpected womanly cycle as they continued their journey. They trotted in silence for several miles before Legolas suddenly broke out in a fit of laughter.

"What?" Alannah questioned, suddenly finding herself laughing along with him.

"I've seen you bare in our most intimate moments and yet, you're embarrassed by doing something we all do? In front of me of all people? It makes little sense." He laughed. "I find it adorable."

Alannah tickled his side, enjoying being able to make the elf squirm under her touch.

"Have you all but forgotten how upset you were when you thought I was a man? It wasn't too long ago. All the times you relieved yourself in front of me before you found out." She quipped. Legolas found himself blushing at the memory, all the times the men stood to the side in plain view as they relieved themselves, unknowing that there was a lady present.

"I wasn't upset." Legolas defended himself. "And you mean to tell me you never stole a glance of me as we went by the road side?" She could almost feel his smirk growing across his face.

"No, I didn't in fact." Alannah lied. Although she never got to see any of his bareness during that time, she did secretly try.

"Of course, you didn't." Legolas smiled, laughing again several more miles down the road.

~

Legolas and Alannah stopped just before they reached the Anduin River, having lost the light of day. The horse needed rest and so did they. Neither of them thought to pack anything to use for shelter but Legolas noted the night was mild and the sky was clear.

"We'll be sleeping under the shelter of the stars tonight meleth nin." Legolas remarked. He pulled a blanket from the horse and folded it in a long rectangle to use in replacement for a pillow. Alannah yawned as she carried some bread and cheese over to the spot Legolas had made for them and they ate quietly as they gazed into the night sky.

"We'll arrive by tomorrow evening." Legolas stated as he finished his portion and laid back into the grass. Alannah forced herself to swallow her food before curling up next to him. He could feel her body tense against him and he quickly moved his hand to massage the knots out of her muscles.

"You're nervous?" Legolas queried. Alannah nodded her head.

"I am. It's just, I've never met a king before. I don't know how to act. What if your father doesn't like me?" She questioned nervously. Legolas didn't cease his movements as he ran his hand under her tunic to work her muscles more efficiently.

"Aragorn is a king. You've been in the company of the steward. You have impeccable manners, are beautiful and gracious. My father will adore you. You need not worry so much meleth nin." Legolas comforted. His words did little to calm her worries, but they did bring a soft smile to her face as she propped herself up on her elbow to look at him.

"Aragorn is a dear friend, the steward was a cruel, power starved man and still I'm worried about how your father will receive me. Will he approve of us?" Alannah barely finished before Legolas propped himself up as well, bringing his face close to hers.

"My father wouldn't have told me to bring you back if he wasn't going to give his consent. Shhh meleth nin." Legolas tipped his head forward and brushed his lips against hers. He kissed her meaningfully and deeply before pulling her back down to rest her head on his chest. "Lay here with me and look at the stars." He added. Through sleepy eyes Alannah gazed at the night sky and the many stars that illuminated the darkness. They were innumerable, glowing with an ancient beauty incomparable to anything else. All the while she was focused on them, Legolas's eyes were focused on her until they both succumbed to their tiredness and fell asleep under the comforting protection of starlight.

~

They awoke early the next morning, energized and eager to be on their final day's journey. Legolas made sure to give Alannah her privacy as she cared for herself while prepping the horse and determining the best location for them to cross the Anduin River. The sun shone brightly against a clear, blue sky and Legolas determined that if they didn't make any more stops, they would reach his father's halls shortly after noon.

Alannah's nerves were at an all-time high as she walked back to join Legolas. She knew so little of his kingdom and even less about his father, regardless of what Legolas had told her about him. He held an apple out to her as she approached him but she waved it away, her stomach already turning anxiously.

"I'm not hungry. Are we ready?" She asked as she tightened her elven cloak around her shoulders. Legolas placed the apple back in the saddle bag and lifted her onto the horse.

"I can see you're as excited as I am." He remarked. Legolas had come to know her better than just about anyone, and she always refused to eat when she was nervous. She nodded her head and wrapped her arms tightly around his waist as he mounted the horse. He hastily led them West, grateful they rebuilt the bridge at Old Ford so that they could cross the Anduin easily without leaving the horse behind.

"I couldn't help but to notice you had Aragorn's coin purse," Legolas peeked over his shoulder at Alannah. "back at Rivendell. I'm glad he cared for you while we were apart."

Alannah could feel the coins in her pocket as they trotted, allowing the horse to regain some energy after galloping hastily for so long.

"He and I spent a lot of time together in Minas Tirith. I forget how lonely that place can be." Alannah reflected. Those few weeks were a dark time in her past that she was ready to forget. She overindulged in wine and spirits and slept away most of her days when she wasn't playing board games in the library with Aragorn. Suddenly her face turned red when she remembered the one drunken night when both of their lonesomeness and heartache for their respective loves caused them to foolishly kiss each other.

"Very lonely I'm sure and I am to blame for that. I do hope you forgive me." Legolas brought one hand to cover hers around his waist and squeezed it slightly.

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't forgive you. But I'd rather not talk about it." Alannah responded as she leaned her head against his shoulder.

"I'm not upset about what happened between the two of you. I know it meant nothing." Legolas replied, ignoring her previous comment. Alannah buried her face in his hair, full of embarrassment and shame. His laughter quickly drew her from her hiding place as she looked at him puzzled.

"How did you know?" Alannah questioned. Legolas slowed the horse to a stop and dismounted, leaning against it to look up at her.

"I didn't. Just a guess." Legolas burst out in another fit of laughter and Alannah quickly jumped down to chase him. Of course, he was always faster than her, dodging her as she leapt to tackle him.

"You're a bully, Legolas!" Alannah hollered when he speedily ran behind her and grabbed her around the waist.

"May I kiss you the way I would have if I was there?" Legolas asked, his voice now serious as he turned her around to look at him. Alannah began to melt under his gaze and the way he gently held her closer to him. She nodded just before he dipped his head down to capture her lips in his. His kiss was neither hard or soft, urgent or slow. His lips brushed hers just right as they collided, sending shock waves through her senses. He gently parted her lips to allow his tongue to massage hers as he ran his hand through her hair. His other hand stayed tightly wrapped around her waist, holding her close to him as if the wind would blow her away if he were to let her go. Alannah felt her knees grow weak as their embrace slowed and as he pulled away slightly she had to remind herself to breathe.

"Come on meleth nin." Legolas pulled her by her hand back to the horse. "We're almost there."

~

Finally, they reached the Eastern borders of the Greenwood and Legolas couldn't hold back his excitement. Alannah tightened her grip on him as he had the horse gallop rampantly into the forest. Alannah noticed how familiar Legolas was with where they were and how he easily guided the horse, noting they would be arriving soon. It was thick with trees, almost so thick that it blocked out the sun. The forest was very old but seemed to be full of life now that the darkness had dissipated with Sauron's fall. Wild life was everywhere she looked as they flew past trees and shrubs and, in the distance, she could have sworn she saw a white doe. Spring flowers were blooming with their enticing aroma and birds could be heard chirping high in the trees.

It wasn't long before Legolas slowed their horse to a steady trot and they emerged from the wild forest onto an old path.

"We're here meleth nin." Legolas said cheerfully. Alannah looked over his shoulder and her eyes widened at the sight of Legolas's home, the elven king's halls in the woodland realm.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 4.8K 19
Jessica has never really fit into her family. Her brother Eustace, has always been the focus in the family. Her father and mother don't really like h...
561K 12.4K 39
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
2.2M 115K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
355K 19.5K 50
1st place in #depression ARNAV - who hates the word LOVE because of his bitter past will fall in love when he meets his SOULMATE? Will he attain the...