The Quest

By delusional_wanderer

Alannah is no stranger to adventure, having been raised by the wizard, Gandalf the Grey. Having little memor... More

Prologue: The tale of Galadhel & Alatar
The Quest: Chapter 1
The Quest: Chapter 2
The Quest: Chapter 3
The Quest: Chapter 4
The Quest: Chapter 5
The Quest: Chapter 6
The Quest: Chapter 7
The Quest: Chapter 8
The Quest: Chapter 9
The Quest: Chapter 10
The Quest: Chapter 11
The Quest: Chapter 12
The Quest: Chapter 13
The Quest: Chapter 14
The Quest: Chapter 15
The Quest: Chapter 16
The Quest: Chapter 17
The Quest: Chapter 18
The Quest: Chapter 19
The Quest: Chapter 20
The Quest: Chapter 22
The Quest: Chapter 23
The Quest: Chapter 24
The Quest: Chapter 25
The Quest:Chapter 26
The Quest: Chapter 27
The Quest: Chapter 28
The Quest: Chapter 29
The Quest: Chapter 30
The Quest: Chapter 31
The Quest: Chapter 32
The Quest: Chapter 33
The Quest: Chapter 34
The Quest: Chapter 35
The Quest: Chapter 36
The Quest: Chapter 37
The Quest: Chapter 38
The Quest: Chapter 39
The Quest: Chapter 40
The Quest Chapter 41
The Quest: Chapter 42
The Quest: Chapter 43
The Quest Chapter 44
The Quest Chapter 45
The Quest Chapter 46
The Quest Chapter 47
The Quest: Chapter 48
The Quest Chapter 49
The Quest Chapter 50
The Quest: Chapter 51
THE QUEST: Chapter 52
Epilogue: We're here

The Quest: Chapter 21

5.3K 175 103
By delusional_wanderer

The day after Legolas left, Alannah found herself quite bored in the great city of Minas Tirith. Gimli had left for his home in Erebor and Eomer and the Rohirrim had departed for their homes in Rohan. Aragorn had arranged transportation for the four hobbits so they could make quick and safe passage back to the Shire and all that remained was Gandalf. With no more fighting or running or strategizing, Alannah wasn't quite sure what to do with her time.

She spent most of her first day without Legolas in the throne room with Aragorn, exchanging various stories of their lives before the fellowship had formed in Rivendell.

"It sounds like a hard life, a ranger from the North." Alannah mused. Aragorn shook his head as they stepped forward to look at one of the statues of former kings.

"Yours doesn't sound as easy as you make it, but I imagine being Gandalf's ward must have been exciting." Aragorn responded. Alannah smiled as she thought back to her childhood. It wasn't all bad, Gandalf had loved her and cared for her, making sure she was safe and of course, entertained.

"It was." Alannah walked towards the black chair that still sat beneath the throne, staring at it hesitantly for a moment before deciding to sit on the stairs beside it.

"It seems so strange, not having everyone here. I've gotten use to them." Alannah thought out loud. "It's just so quiet."

Aragorn laughed softly. "It does seem strange and very quiet. No thunderous dwarven snoring or elvish quips being exchanged."

They both sighed collectively, missing their companions. Aragorn fished out a few coins from his pockets and handed them to Alannah. She waved his hand away, hating anyone freely handing her money.

"No, take it. I seem to have more than I know what to do with nowadays. Go buy yourself some things in the city. Clothes, wares, anything you want to take with you to your new home in the Woodland Realm." Aragorn pressed the coins into Alannah's palm before walking out of the throne room towards the library. Alannah frowned as she placed them in her pocket and made her way outside, pulling her elven cloak tightly around her. The sun was warm against her skin and the white tree of Gondor was now fully covered in buds anxious to flower. Spring was dawning and she could hear the birds chirping as they flew through the air. Middle Earth seemed to have been reborn since Sauron's defeat, a new age on the horizon.

Alannah picked up a dark blue gown from one shop, intending to wear it the night Legolas was to meet her and Gandalf to take her to her new home. She decided she wanted to look her best when she met his father, King Thranduil and the dark blue would contrast well with Legolas's icy blue tunic. She drifted in and out of various shops, picking up a new journal to document her new life as well as some new boots as her other ones had grown worn over time.

An escort was kind enough to carry her purchases to her quarters for her later that evening and she stashed them away in her armoire before joining Gandalf and Aragorn for dinner.

"So tell me Alannah, you must be overjoyed to have your wedding day so quickly approaching." Gandalf spoke as he sat across from her at the table. She blushed as she took a small bite of her food.

"I am, Gandalf. But I'm also nervous." Alannah admitted. She wanted nothing more than to spend eternity with Legolas, but so much was unknown to her about the Woodland Realm. Not to mention her wedding night when it came time for Legolas to bed her.

"You'll make an excellent wife." Aragorn commented. "The Woodland Realm will find a great addition in you."

Alannah smiled at the compliment before finally placing her napkin on the table. "I must excuse myself. I'm very tired." She walked around to hug Gandalf as he sat in his chair and kissed him on his white head of hair before doing the same to Aragorn.

Once inside her rooms, she felt all the lonelier. Alannah quickly bathed and lay in her bed, the pillows still clinging to the woodsy sent of her betrothed. She quickly drifted to sleep, counting the days until she would be with him once again.

~

The following days were more or less the same. She spent her time playing board games in the library with Gandalf and sharing his pipe weed with him. Alannah was sure the elves didn't imbibe in the sweet, dry leaf so she enjoyed it whenever the wizard offered it to her. Aragorn sat nearby reading books and studying maps, occasionally stopping to whisper the best moves to Alannah before receiving a knock on the head from Gandalf's staff.

It was two days before they were to depart from Minas Tirith when their games were interrupted with a post for Gandalf. He excused himself from the room, letting Aragorn take his place in the game of chess he was sharing with Alannah.

"Who calls on me?" Gandalf asked as he curiously flipped the envelope over in his hands. He recognized the seal as that of the Woodland Realm and he quickly opened it. There was no letter, only Legolas's silver band inside. He looked at it curiously before coming to the conclusion that he was merely returning it in preparation for the wedding when Legolas and Alannah would exchange bands of gold. He quickly placed it mindlessly in his pocket before retiring to his rooms for the evening, not thinking to make mention of it to Alannah.

~

~WOODLAND REALM~

Legolas spent the week wondering through the woods of Mirkwood, finding much less joy amongst the trees than he ever had. He was unsure what to do to occupy his mind as it often drifted to her, and hoping that her heart wasn't broken after receiving his ring as a sign of their broken engagement. Tauriel often accompanied him, hoping to bring some joy to him in the form of their long friendship.

"Our lands have become so beautiful my lord." Tauriel exclaimed as she studied the leaves on a nearby tree. "It's nice to be able to come so far this way without having to drive away any spiders." Legolas forced a half smile at her as they climbed the trees to get a better view. It was the night before he was supposed to meet her and part of him desperately wanted to go against his father's wishes and bring her back anyway. He forced the thought away, not knowing the wrath his father would take out against her.

"Mellon nin." Tauriel grabbed his attention with her soft voice. Legolas looked at her, forcing a blank expression on his face to mask his emotions. Her eyes were full of knowing and he could tell exactly what she wanted to say. He slid down the trunk of the tree to the forest floor and began walking back to the King's Halls, not willing to give her a chance.

Legolas walked around his massive quarters situated away from the rest of the kingdom. His rooms were the only ones above the grounds with a balcony facing the large waterfall. For so long he had imagined her here, walking with him amongst the trees and sharing his bed with him. But now, it all seemed so far away from him, nothing more than a wishful dream. He laid on his bed and finally wept, his tears bringing him no relief as the night passed quickly and the sun rose on the seventh day they had been apart. Legolas willed himself into a deep meditative state, unwilling to be awake as the evening came when he should be meeting Alannah to bring her home as he had promised.

~

Gandalf tapped on Alannah's door and slowly entered, glancing around at the now bare room. Most of her belongings had been packed and now the room remained as it did when he first brought her there. She closed the small trunk he had given her as a child to pack her things for their many travels together.

"Are you ready?" Gandalf asked as he stepped inside.

Alannah sat on the edge of the bed, wearing the new dark blue gown. She breathed deeply as she looked around her room.

"I am." She responded nervously. Gandalf came to sit beside her, smiling at her as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"All brides have their fair share of jitters sweet girl. I see a bright future full of happiness for you. Don't be nervous." Gandalf comforted her. She nodded her head as she lifted the small trunk under her arm. There was always trust in a wizard's foresight, especially Gandalf's so she shook off her uneasiness and finally let herself feel the full excitement she knew she should feel.

"How do I look?" She asked as she slowly turned. Gandalf grinned at the woman before him, still a small child in his eyes.

"Perfect, child." He quickly wiped a tear from his eyes so she could not see. "We must leave now, or else I'll catch a scolding from your new husband. Elves are notoriously punctual."

~

Aragorn fastened Alannah's belonging's to her horse before hugging her tightly, dreading finally being left all alone in Minas Tirith.

"Legolas says we'll be back for the coronation. We wouldn't miss it for anything." Alannah promised as she kissed him on the cheek. Aragorn smiled before helping her on her horse.

"Then I shall see you then, Alannah of the Woodland Realm." He bowed slightly as Gandalf and Alannah trotted off. Although Alannah would miss Aragorn greatly, she was glad to finally be rid of Minas Tirith. So much bad had happened in her time there and it was freeing for her to be starting anew in faraway lands with a man she loved. Gandalf led them through hills and fields until they finally came upon a large oak tree. Its branches were large and by the size of the trunk, it was very old. Early spring buds had formed, ready to burst open on the first warm day.

"When do you think he'll be here?" Alannah questioned, her voice now full of excitement. Gandalf sat under the shade of the tree and looked at the sun that hung high above them, signaling it was just now sometime after noon.

"At sunset. He was very precise in his instruction. For now, we rest here and wait." Gandalf puffed on his pipe and passed it between the two of them before settling in for a doze. Alannah sat and waited patiently, keeping her eyes open on the horizon for Legolas.

~

"Alannah." Gandalf's voice was soft yet forceful as he shook her awake. "Wake up, sweet girl." Alannah rubbed her eyes and upon realizing that she too had dozed off beside Gandalf, jumped to her feet quickly smoothing her hair and pushing the grass off her gown. The sky was dark and the stars hung high, sunset had come and gone a couple hours before. Gandalf was silent as he readied the saddles on their horses, now realizing the significance of receiving Legolas's betrothal ring. It sat in his pocket as if someone had dropped a brick in it and he silently chastised himself for not thinking of its meaning sooner.

"He had to have seen us?" Alannah offered, certain he wouldn't have passed them by. "Maybe he's running behind, just a little late." She tried convincing herself out loud. Alannah felt her stomach churn as she looked in the distance, seeing and hearing nothing for miles.

"Gandalf?" Alannah walked over to him as he stood silently by the horses. "Right?" Gandalf looked at her, unsure of how to answer her himself.

"Ride back to Minas Tirith. I will ride ahead and see if there is need for aid." Gandalf lied, not prepared to break her heart. She stood under the tree in her blue dress, fiddling with her ring. Her confusion was obvious as she kept looking across the fields, expecting to see him emerge at any moment. "Sweet girl." Gandalf walked towards her and put his hand on her cheek, feeling the moisture from a few fallen tears. "Ride back to the city."

Alannah climbed on her horse and slowly trotted away, constantly looking back just in case her elf appeared as she tried to reason in her head why he had not come. Perhaps they were a day early? At the wrong tree? Anything to convince herself other than what her heart had told her. After riding a few miles and reaching the halfway point to Minas Tirith, Alannah stopped her horse on the road. She visualized Legolas in her mind and attempted to reach out to him.

"Meleth nin. Where are you? I was at the tree as you asked. Is there trouble?" Alannah sent the message with her mind only to be met with nothingness. She gasped as her message reached nowhere, realizing he had shut himself off to her. She kicked her horse and galloped speedily back to the city, the cold wind matting her hair in the tears that fell freely from her face.

As she entered the throne room, Aragorn emerged from the nearby library holding a pipe in one hand and a book in the other. He was shocked to see her having returned in the middle of the night in a state of such distress. He dropped his pipe and book and ran over to Alannah, grabbing her gently by the shoulders.

"What is it? Is there trouble?" Aragorn asked, ready to leave and bring his army wherever Legolas had trouble. Alannah shook her head and sobbed into his shoulder, unable to hold her heartbreak in any longer. He quickly realized what had happened, yet still remained shocked. He had known Legolas for sixty years, been raised by elves and such affairs were always taken seriously. Although extremely rare, he knew even elves broke off betrothals. Aragorn wrapped his arm around Alannah's shoulders and pulled her with him to the library, pouring her a hefty glass of cognac. Alannah quickly gulped the burning liquid and he poured her another, watching her soothe her pained heart. They sat in silence for an hour or so until she finally laid on a nearby bench and fell asleep. Aragorn stayed up through the night, watching her sleep and waiting for a further explanation when Gandalf returned.

~

Gandalf watched Alannah ride away until she was out of sight. He stroked Shadowfax's mane before mounting him and asking politely for the horse to take him to Mirkwood in search of Legolas. The magnificent steed charged immediately, riding faster than the wind. In less than an hour, Gandalf was nearing the edges of the Woodland Realm when an elven messenger galloped in the wizard's direction. He slowed the horse to a stop as the elf came closer.

"Mithrandir?" The elf called out. Gandalf straightened himself on the horse, now frustrated and with little patience to be had.

"Yes. I am looking for the King's son the prince, Lord Legolas of the Woodland Realm." Gandalf announced as the messenger pulled closer to him. The wind swept through the trees that surrounded them, and Gandalf kept his eyes peeled for any sign of other elves.

"Lord Legolas sends his apologies." The elf held his hand over his heart. "For any inconvenience, misunderstanding, or heartache he may have brought upon anyone. I'm afraid that is all I have to report to you, Mithrandir." The elf bowed slightly before quickly turning away and galloping off, leaving Gandalf in the tree line alone. He dismounted his horse and walked into the forest, feeling another presence lingered with him, a familiar presence he was sure of.

"I know you're here Legolas!" Gandalf boomed. The wind shaking the leaves made it hard for the wizard to locate anyone as he stood in the darkness. No voice called out to him as he turned in circles, his staff's end lit illuminating the darkness. He sighed as he turned to leave the forest, only to stop and look behind him once more.

"If this is how you choose to treat someone that you love, someone that truly loves you with all her heart, then you do not deserve her!" Gandalf held his head high as he marched out of the woods and mounted Shadowfax, kicking up a cloud of dirt as he galloped in the direction of Minas Tirith. Had he looked directly above him before he walked away, he would have seen Legolas laying on a tree branch, covering his mouth so his heartbroken cries could not be heard.

~

A couple days passed before Gandalf walked into Alannah's room. He noticed her bed sheets stripped from her mattress and rumpled in a corner. She couldn't bear to smell his scent on them any longer and needed rid of it, rid of any memory of him. Gandalf stepped inside the room, noticing plates of food he or Aragorn had sent to her having remained untouched. The balcony doors were wide open and Alannah was perched on the ledge, holding her silver betrothal ring between her fingers. Gandalf walked out and stood beside her as she sat above him with her legs crossed.

"You haven't eaten." Gandalf said as he looked at her with caring eyes. Alannah shrugged.

"Doesn't matter. I could take a few bites here and there and still be fine." Alannah responded, her voice null of emotion. Gandalf huffed at her response, dissatisfied with how things panned out for her.

"I'm so sorry, Alannah." Alannah held her hand up as Gandalf spoke.

"Please. I can't." Alannah whispered. She quickly wiped a tear away as she pulled herself down from the ledge and walked inside. Gandalf followed her and watched her sit at the table and began pouring herself a glass of cognac. He quickly grabbed the bottle from her hand and gave her a warning glare before retrieving a glass and pouring one for himself.

"This is the last drink you will have Alannah." Gandalf ordered as he sat his empty glass on the table.

"No it won't be." Alannah rebutted. Gandalf snatched the bottle from her and pushed it into the pockets of his robes.

"I will not watch you waste away like this. You are going to have an incredibly long life and you should start looking towards your future." Gandalf leaned forward on the table but was met with a hateful glare from her.

"My future?" Alannah scoffed. "The future I thought I would have was taken away from me! It was all that kept me going since Rivendell!" She stood and began to pace angrily around the room, waving her arms as she spoke.

"The thought of a future with love and a home and a sense of belonging was all that got me through losing you! Through that horrible ring! It got me through what happened with Boromir!" She paused as she said his name, instead of sadness she began to feel rage as she turned on Gandalf.

"Why did you keep me around, Gandalf? You drug me from here to there, dropping me off with strangers whenever I became too much of a burden! Why did you even bother!?" She hissed. Alannah picked up the drinking glasses from the table and threw them against the wall, hardly satisfied as they shattered. Gandalf stood and grabbed her by the sides of the head, closing his eyes and taking her mind back decades to when she was just a child.

~~~**** "Gandalf, what are you going to do with a small child? She should be with her people." Saruman announced as they sat at a round table in Rivendell. Alannah, only a small child sat on the floor nearby, playing with a small doll ignoring what the adults around her were saying. Lord Elrond leaned forward, looking at the child curiously.

"I can take her. Estel is young and quite the handful for me now, but I assure you she will be in good hands here in Imladris." Elrond volunteered. Galadriel walked over to the child and knelt beside her, staring into her small green eyes. The Lady of Light smiled at her before walking back to the discussion table.

"I only want what is best for her. She has been through such an ordeal, I'm not sure if she'll even remember." Gandalf twiddled with his curling grey beard as he spoke, weighing his options. Galadriel looked at Gandalf fondly as the White Counsel debated on what to do about the young girl. Estel snuck on to the balcony, leaving a small cookie in arms reach of the girl before running away out of sight.

"Why don't we let the child decide what she wants?" Galadriel wisely offered. Saruman huffed, annoyed with the small burden as he watched Elrond and Galadriel step forward with their arms open for the small child.

"Erulisse?" The two elves called out. The small girl turned around and looked at them curiously, quickly wiping the cookie crumbs from her stuffed mouth. She swallowed nervously before standing up and looked at the adults in front of her. They slowly outstretched their arms to her lovingly and she fiddled with the doll she held in front of her, unsure of who she should go to. She looked around them to the two old men sitting at the table before looking down at her feet. Gandalf started to light his pipe as the little girl climbed into his lap and settled cozily against his chest, nestling her head in his beard. Elrond and Galadriel looked at each other confused before finally smiling at the endearing sight.

"The little elf has made her choice." Galadriel softly announced. Gandalf looked down at the child and wrapped his arm around her while he puffed on his pipe with his free hand. "When she is of age, Mithrandir, make sure she knows she has the option to return to her people. She will always have a home amongst the elves."

Gandalf nodded in agreement as the child fell asleep, deciding to raise her and love her as best he could. ***~~~~~

Gandalf finally released Alannah from the vision and grabbed her before she could fall to the ground. He ushered her to the nearby chair and sat her down. He moved to retrieve a glass of water for her before she grabbed hold of his robes and sank into his chest, sobbing.

"I'm so sorry Gandalf." Alannah whimpered. Gandalf held her tightly, petting her hair.

"It's quite alright, sweet girl. I just want you to know you were never a burden. That day, long ago, when you chose me as your guardian was one of the most joyous I've ever had." Gandalf shed a few tears as he held her, saddened that she was hurting and there was nothing he could do.

"Why didn't he want me Gandalf?" She cried softly. Gandalf frowned at the question, knowing there was no magic he could conjure to ease her pain or give her an answer

~

Legolas grew weary after the night in the forest with Gandalf. He kept himself busy by killing any orcs that came near the borders of the Woodland Realm, even going as far as hunting them on his own. His mind constantly drifted back to Alannah, especially the feeling he felt when he rejected the message she tried to send him. The King kept an eye on his son, his heart torn between making him happy and honoring their rare, pure bloodline. Thranduil kept telling himself that Legolas would soon forget of the raven haired half elf, and once again be the energetic and spirited person he always was.

Tauriel continued to spend as much time she could with Legolas, even when she was finished performing her duties as captain of the guard. Her friend rarely laughed and when he did, she could see the sadness still looming in his eyes. One day, as they completed their rounds in the forest, she finally garnered up the courage to say something to him.

"You're making a mistake." She stated boldly. Legolas shot his eyes at her, full of warning before continuing their walk around the borders of the realm. "Legolas!"

Legolas turned around and faced her, no longer disguising his anger. "Baw Tauriel!" Legolas warned. Tauriel moved closer to him, her face stern.

"You will regret this for eternity!" She shouted. Legolas forced himself to turn away from her but she quickly pulled him back to face her. "Sixty years ago you watched me lose the person I loved. I still cannot bring myself to say his name." She paused. "But you have a choice I do not have. Do not throw it away."

"I have no choice. Dishonor my father, OUR king." He stressed. "I have no choice." Legolas pulled his arm from hers and stormed off into the forest, leaving Tauriel behind. He ran as fast as he could, desperate to separate himself from Tauriel, his father, from anyone. He quickly scaled a tall tree, resting on its highest branches. Even far away from the ground and all alone, he could not distance himself from the thought of her. He craved to hear her soft breaths as she slept near him, or to see the wrinkle between her eyes when he made her angry, especially the soft whimpering sounds she made as his fingers roamed her body while they lay beneath the sheets. He sighed as he plucked a newly budded leaf from the tree and let it be carried away by the wind.

~

It had been a few weeks since that night beneath the oak tree. Alannah kept herself busy assisting Aragorn as he prepared to take on his destiny as the King of Gondor. He was happy to have her around, as his mind too often drifted to thoughts of Arwen who he was certain was happy and smiling with her people in the Undying Lands. The two friends grew close as they worked together. Aragorn taught her how to hold conversations in elvish and she kept him company. Gandalf often joined them, offering Aragorn the counsel he desperately needed as he prepared to take on his new role.

Two nights before the coronation, a small celebration was held in the throne room. Wine and spirits were served and many drank heavily as they cheered to Aragorn's health. Alannah sat off to the side and watched the festivities around her as she had done many times when Lord Denethor sat on the black steward's chair. A clumsy soldier who had too much to drink stumbled, spilling most of his wine onto Alannah's favorite yellow dress. Aragorn quickly stepped forward and had his guards escort the man safely to his quarters.

"Wild night." Aragorn remarked as he helped Alannah blot the crimson stain from her dress.

"Not as wild as it will be the night after tomorrow, after your coronation." She smiled as she took the napkin from him. Aragorn forced a half smile before pulling her by her elbow.

"Let's get some air." Aragorn muttered, his tone now annoyed at the drunkenness surrounding them. They stepped outside on the balcony and looked at the stars, walking silently together. The close friends had shared their sadness and loneliness and each were grateful to the other for that. Alannah still felt an ache in her heart where she once held a great love for Legolas and it was obvious Aragorn felt the same for Arwen.

"So, after the coronation should I call you 'King Aragorn' from now on?" Alannah joked as she bowed deeply and enthusiastically. Aragorn laughed out loud, pushing his hair behind his ears.

"No. Aragorn will do. And don't do that, you're making me feel ridiculous." He laughed boisterously. The wind began to pick up and although winter had passed into spring, it was chilling to the bone. Alannah proposed a game of chess inside the library, away from the party and out of the cold. Aragorn nodded his head and followed her, both of them being careful to avoid the drunken celebrations.

They sat on the couch in the library, passing a bottle of cognac back and forth while playing their board game. Aragorn enjoyed watching Alannah grow annoyed each time he placed her in check as she poured over the board, looking for any way out of it.

"You've got me again." Alannah huffed as she took a sip from the bottle and passed it back to him. He smirked as he took his drink.

"You'll get better at it. Just have to lose a few rounds." Aragorn insisted. They grew quiet as the effects of the alcohol began to take hold. They had shared a few nights like this, starting off happy in one another's company then ending with them quiet and sad, yearning for what they did not have.

Whether it was the cognac or finally being fed up with their sadness, Aragorn and Alannah pressed their lips together. Aragorn's stubble scraped against Alannah's chin as he pulled her face closer to his. She placed her hand on his shoulder as their mouths parted, dipping their tongues into one another's mouths as if testing if water was too cold. A tear spilled from the corner of her eye as they remained awkwardly in the embrace. They pulled themselves apart, laughing at each other for what they had just done. It was as if they were kin, awkward and wrong rolled into one. The two friends leaned into the couch and held hands as they finally began to talk openly.

"I miss her. My wish was for her to be with her people in Valinor but I yearn for her. If only I could see her once more." Aragorn pined for Arwen. Alannah wiped tears from her eyes as she allowed herself to think of Legolas.

"I don't know what I did. I can't sleep without reaching out to see if Legolas is lying beside me. I thought we were in love." Alannah sighed. They continued to talk into the early hours of morning about their respective true loves, their wishes, and what they would do if they could wish them back. Aragorn looked at Alannah as she finally grew quiet.

"I know what you're thinking. Do what you feel you need to do." Aragorn pulled out his coin purse and handed it to Alannah. She didn't know how he knew what she was planning, but all the same, she was grateful for his friendship. They hugged tightly before she left to her room, to begin packing for her departure from Minas Tirith.

~

News had spread across Middle Earth that the heir of Isildur had returned to Gondor, and that Aragorn would be crowned King. Lord Elrond kept his promise and began his travels across Middle Earth to Gondor with Arwen so she could wed Aragorn. They stopped in Lothlorien so she could see her grandmother, Galadriel, before crossing over into Mirkwood. He was immediately welcomed into King Thranduil's throne room as he always had been, to see if perhaps the King would join them at the coronation.

"I respectfully decline Elrond." Thranduil bowed. "I wish many years of happiness for your daughter." Lord Elrond nodded his head as he stepped forward to speak on a more personal level.

"I hear of Legolas's betrothal to Alannah. I remember the first time I saw her many years ago in Imladris., she was just a small child then." He mused. Thranduil shook his head.

"There is no engagement. Legolas can find a more suitable spouse than a half elf who holds no land or titles." Thranduil responded as he pushed away the thought of his son's unhappiness as of late. Lord Elrond cocked an eyebrow at his old friend.

"Tell me, do you look at me with as much disdain?" Lord Elrond questioned. A shocked impression came over Thranduil's face.

"Of course I do not." Thranduil defended himself. "You're a very honorable Lord and a good friend."

"And half elven, if you've forgotten." Elrond added. Thranduil nodded his head as he grabbed a glass of wine that sat near him and brought it to his lips.

"I know that you love Legolas and wish to protect him from heartache, but having him draw away from love because of your own loss is not the right way." Elrond argued, treading carefully on such a sensitive subject.

"That is not what I'm doing." Thranduil rebutted.

"Then what are you doing? One day you and your wife will be rejoined but what of Legolas? Would his mother approve of withholding your blessing?" Elrond braced himself for Thranduil's anger as he watched the elven king throw his wine across the room.

"Do not speak of her!" Thranduil hissed. Elrond stood his ground as he watched Thranduil sink back onto his throne. "Don't."

Legolas entered the throne room, stepping over the spilled wine on the floor. Thranduil quickly regained his composure as he saw his son. Legolas bowed when he saw Lord Elrond and turned to his father.

"The forest is free of any threats, father. I will be in my quarters." Legolas reported and turned, walking away. Elrond gave Thranduil a pleading yet endearing look before turning his eyes to Legolas. Thranduil's thoughts went back and forth as he watched his son, frowning at his sloped shoulders and saddened tone.

"Legolas." Thranduil called out. "Come here for a moment. Lord Elrond, I know you are on a tight schedule but can you step outside and spare a moment?"

Lord Elrond nodded and bowed once more before walking out of the throne room, leaving father and son alone to speak. Thranduil leaned forward on his throne, keeping his eyes to the ground.

"Will you join Lord Elrond as he escorts Lady Arwen to Minas Tirith? Your friend Aragorn's coronation is tomorrow and I know you wish to attend." Thranduil asked. "Go in my stead."

Legolas furrowed his brow, not sure if his heart could handle seeing Alannah but always loyal to his father's wishes.

"Yes, ada. I will ready my things." Legolas crossed his hand over his heart before walking towards his room to dress accordingly for such an occasion.

"Legolas." Thranduil stood from his throne and approached his son, taking his hand into his own. What he was about to say went against everything he believed, but as he looked into his son's eyes, he saw his fallen wife staring back at him. "Don't come back alone. Bring her here."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.8K 1K 42
Kairi Aria had been working for Scotland Yard for almost a year without incident. She had been very successful in remaining unnoticed by her coworker...
201K 4.8K 19
Jessica has never really fit into her family. Her brother Eustace, has always been the focus in the family. Her father and mother don't really like h...
81.6K 2.1K 24
Book 1 of the heart series ~ You are mine, for eternity, I shall tie you with my soul forever ~ After centuries of waiting, Finally..... He have fo...
63.7K 245 7
Kindress lives a mundane rich lifestyle with her doctor husband when her life is interrupted by mysterious rapid changes to her body. Her womb was de...