The Quest

By delusional_wanderer

Alannah is no stranger to adventure, having been raised by the wizard, Gandalf the Grey. Having little memor... More

Prologue: The tale of Galadhel & Alatar
The Quest: Chapter 1
The Quest: Chapter 2
The Quest: Chapter 3
The Quest: Chapter 4
The Quest: Chapter 5
The Quest: Chapter 6
The Quest: Chapter 7
The Quest: Chapter 8
The Quest: Chapter 10
The Quest: Chapter 11
The Quest: Chapter 12
The Quest: Chapter 13
The Quest: Chapter 14
The Quest: Chapter 15
The Quest: Chapter 16
The Quest: Chapter 17
The Quest: Chapter 18
The Quest: Chapter 19
The Quest: Chapter 20
The Quest: Chapter 21
The Quest: Chapter 22
The Quest: Chapter 23
The Quest: Chapter 24
The Quest: Chapter 25
The Quest:Chapter 26
The Quest: Chapter 27
The Quest: Chapter 28
The Quest: Chapter 29
The Quest: Chapter 30
The Quest: Chapter 31
The Quest: Chapter 32
The Quest: Chapter 33
The Quest: Chapter 34
The Quest: Chapter 35
The Quest: Chapter 36
The Quest: Chapter 37
The Quest: Chapter 38
The Quest: Chapter 39
The Quest: Chapter 40
The Quest Chapter 41
The Quest: Chapter 42
The Quest: Chapter 43
The Quest Chapter 44
The Quest Chapter 45
The Quest Chapter 46
The Quest Chapter 47
The Quest: Chapter 48
The Quest Chapter 49
The Quest Chapter 50
The Quest: Chapter 51
THE QUEST: Chapter 52
Epilogue: We're here

The Quest: Chapter 9

9.7K 274 23
By delusional_wanderer

The battle had been won as Aragorn knelt over Boromir's arrow laden body. Although he knew he was dying, he had much more that he needed to say to his friend. Aragorn tried to comfort his dying friend who was insistent on confessing the evil deeds he had committed. Boromir was relieved to learn that Aragorn had let Frodo go alone to complete the journey to destroy the ring.

"Frodo.. I tried to take the ring from him. Forgive me." He cried as he clung to Aragorn, desperate to say his peace before he slipped away. Each word he spoke caused a great deal of pain, his chest heaving from agony and exhaustion.

"The ring is beyond our reach now." Aragorn revealed as he spoke softly.

"Forgive me. I did not see it. I failed you all." He bellowed. Aragorn shook his head as he leaned forward to comfort him, supporting his head with his hand. 

"No, Boromir, you fought bravely. You have kept your honor." Aragorn replied as he moved to try and remove an arrow from his chest. Tears fell freely from Boromir's eyes as the memory of Alannah's battered body came to the forefront of his mind.

"Leave it!" He begged as Aragorn moved his hand away from the wound, also knowing it was too late to save Boromir from death. "Alannah..." He spoke as he forced his eyes to stay open. "I tried to do something most evil to her....." He stammered as he bore his shame. "After Frodo vanished.. I attacked her, I tried to force myself on her."

Aragorn looked away from Boromir as he heard Legolas approaching quickly, no doubt that he was able to hear what was said with his elf ears. Boromir pulled Aragorn closer to him, urgent that he would hear him. "I left her beside the fallen rubble under her cloak. Please find her, tell her it wasn't me. Beg her forgiveness on my behalf.. and Legolas. Tell him. I did not make her my wife by force. Forgive me."

Legolas stood behind Aragorn, looking at Boromir with sadness and anger as he looked around to determine the direction of the statues. Gimli had already took off running to find her as Boromir revealed the location, refusing to leave her alone and injured amongst the uruk-hai corpses. Legolas bolted behind the dwarf, both in panic and relief that she was alive. They reached the hill covered in rubble from the fallen statues and began their search.

It took only a second for Legolas to spot her as she sat on the nearby stairs, shaking as she pulled the cloak tightly around her body. He quickly ran to kneel beside her and grabbed her in his arms, immediately regretting the forceful contact as she cried out in pain. Legolas gently pulled back from the embrace and lifted her chin to examine the extent of damage inflicted on her face.

His eyes flickered over the bruises and scrapes that were already quickly healing due to her elf blood. Her eyes were rimmed with red from sobbing, causing her green eyes to stand out more so than normal. They stood in silence as Gimli approached, shock and sorrow overcoming him as he saw his injured elf friend.

"Thank you Gimli." Legolas spoke solemnly. "Return to Aragorn, let him know we found her."

Gimli nodded somberly before making his way back to do as Legolas asked as well as assist with Boromir's body. Legolas looked into Alannah's eyes before he cautiously pulled the cloak from around her body, to reveal the abrasions around her neck and her clothes in disarray. The dark bruise of Boromir's hand print on Alannah's breast was still visible, bright blue against her fair skin. Her torso was littered in angry bruises, dark blue and red from the repeated blows she received. He made quick work to tie her tunic quickly, protecting his betrothed's modesty even from himself.

"Your wounds will be healed by morning. We need to leave now meleth nin." He pulled her to a standing position and held her by the shoulders as he walked her back to rejoin Aragorn and Gimli, and to prepare Boromir's body for burial. She couldn't bring herself to speak, not even to Legolas as she felt the memory of the friendship she once had with Boromir fading away, now replaced with the nightmare she just lived through. Her heart broke after seeing how the ring had drove him to madness, a shadow of the noble man he had once been. They arrived to the spot they had previously made camp to see Aragorn leaning over one of the boats. When Aragorn turned to see Alannah and Legolas approaching, a worried gasp escaped him as he walked over to her, checking her face as Legolas had done.

"Are you alright?" He asked her softly, his voice full of care and concern. She nodded her head as she looked past him, trying to see what he was doing with the boats. She began painfully walking towards it only to feel Legolas pull her back while Aragorn moved to block her view.

"You need not see this, Alannah." He warned as she broke free from his embrace. She stepped forward and peered inside, a sense of dread washing over her. Boromir's body lay spiritless in the bottom of the canoe grasping his sword to his chest. Alannah gasped in horror as she fell backwards onto the muddy shore and tried to piece together how this could have happened. A flood of mixed and confusing emotions overcame her as she felt Legolas lift her back to her feet. She pulled away from him as she did after Gandalf's death, but this time without disguising her anger and grief. The last moments with Boromir were not with her friend, but instead with the evil influence the ring had on him. He had been a good friend to her in Minas Tirith. Now the only vivid memory she had remaining of him was that of his hands beating and ravaging her body, the one ring forever tainting the friendship they once shared.

Aragorn approached the canoe and removed Boromir's leather arm guards, placing his hand on his fallen friends shoulder to tell him goodbye for the last time before pushing the boat away from the shore. The current carried Boromir away swiftly and pulled him to the great falls of Rauros. In only the time it took for Alannah to blink his canoe vanished, swallowed into the watery abyss. Alannah turned away, stumbling into the woods. She was determined to find the hobbits so they could finally be rid of the ring that has caused her to lose so much in such a short amount of time. She leaned against a tree and hung her head, sobbing uncontrollably as she was overcome with emotion. Her heart yearned for the comfort and wisdom that was exclusive to Gandalf, the closest resemblance to a father she ever had. The rough bark of the tree comforted her as she clung to it, her uncontrollable sobbing now evolving into a defeated sigh.

The warmth of Legolas's hands gently grasped her shoulders, pulling her into his chest as he stroked her long hair.

"Shhh." He hushed her as you would a crying child. His soul felt the heaviness of her heart and he held her tighter, willing to ease the burden of her load. He put two fingers under her chin and tilted her head gently back to look at him.

"This pain will ease Alannah, you mustn't let it consume you or it will take you." His voice was soft as he spoke, still combing his fingers through her long hair. "Once the ring is destroyed and this fight is over, I will bring you home, where no harm will come to you again." Legolas promised her. She listened to his words and clung to them, the only thing left that she had to hold onto. She nodded her head and let his lips softly kiss her hair before pulling back to the sound of water splashing in the distance.

"Where are the hobbits?" She questioned. "Where is Frodo?"

Legolas looked in the direction of the splashing water and grabbed Alannah's hand to run back to the shore. He grabbed the last canoe remaining and pushed it into the water, holding onto it firmly as he turned to get Aragorn's attention.

"Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore!" He yelled. Aragorn sat nearby securing the arm guards tightly on his forearms. He looked at Legolas seriously before watching the hobbits disappear amidst the trees on the other side of the lake. Legolas looked at Alannah and Gimli before setting his gaze back on Aragorn in understanding. "You mean not to follow them." Legolas stated, saddened the two, small friends would have to complete the journey without their aid.

"Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands." Aragorn answered him. Legolas let go of the canoe and walked back to Alannah. His old age was apparent in his eyes as he looked at her and back across the river to the now empty tree line.

"Then it has all been in vain. The fellowship has failed." Gimli grumbled as he joined what remained of them. They all looked to Aragorn, clueless on what they could or should do. Aragorn completed their circle, placing his hands on Legolas and Gimli's shoulders, bouncing his eyes between Legolas, Gimli and Alannah.

"Not if we hold true to each other." He spoke encouragingly. The group embraced each other as he spoke, feeling as if their bond could never break. Alannah looked into the faces of the men she was surrounded with through her swollen eyes, needing the closeness with the nearest persons she could call her family.

"We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left." Aragorn spoke before turning to sheath his short sword. "We travel lightly. Let's hunt some orc."

Alannah looked at Legolas and watched him smile, grateful that his spirit felt renewed although hers not quite. They ran back into the forest following Aragorn, looking to him as their leader and source of strength. Legolas stopped for a moment to look at Alannah. He grasped her hand and looked at the silver ring on her index finger before looking deep into her eyes.

"Do you still accept my pledge to you?" He asked, needing to know the condition of her heart after the traumatic day. She didn't speak at first but looked at his hand as his fingers gently laced between hers. She closed her eyes and listened to the wind in the trees and felt the comforting breeze blow against her.

She nodded yes even though she felt little comfort from him after the fear and heartache she had felt that day. Although she was relieved to have him by her side, it was difficult for her to think of anything romantic at the moment. The ring had taken Boromir to a dark place and regardless of the Ring's influence over him, she knew he had to have those thoughts on some level about her and it caused her great heartache and unease.  Legolas smiled as he leaned in to kiss her, before feeling her hand press firmly against his chest.

"Legolas." Alannah whispered. She clenched her eyes shut, not wanting him to see her cry again. He moved his hand to her cheek and pushed a lone tear away that had escaped. He was caught off guard as she quickly reached up to kiss him softly before continuing in the direction Gimli and Aragorn went. Legolas stood in the woods for a moment before following her, ready to leave this place behind along with its horrid memories.

~

The falls of Rauros was many miles behind them as they continued their journey to rescue Merry and Pippin. Much to Legolas's surprise, Alannah was able to keep ahead of him as they sprinted out of the woods and across the mountainous region. The previous day had faded away into night and as Legolas had predicted, all of the wounds Boromir had inflicted upon Alannah had healed as if she had never been attacked. He was impressed with her stamina as they continued the long journey until Aragorn and Gimli required a few minutes rest.

"We shouldn't stop." Alannah insisted, needing to keep her mind busy after what had happened. "What if we lose them?"

They stood in the foothills of the mountain, surrounded by large boulders. Aragorn looked around at the next cliff they would need to climb and he rubbed his calves, already pained at the thought.

"The orcs will have to rest as well. They won't harm Merry and Pippin, we'll get to them before it comes to that. In the meantime we could all use a quick rest." He insisted. Alannah's heart sank as she looked to Gimli and Legolas, who also seemed to agree with Aragorn. He placed his hand on her shoulder as he walked away to gather some wood for a small fire. "Just a short break and we will double our time lost. Deal?"

She nodded as she walked past Legolas, seeking somewhere private. He grabbed her by the elbow to stop her from walking away.

"We won't let harm come to them." Legolas stated as he looked at Alannah's serious face. Since they departed Rauros he could feel her withdrawing from him. He was becoming desperate to rekindle the closeness they shared before the attack, willing to do anything to help her forget what had happened.

"Where are you going?" He asked as she pulled her arm free.

"I just need a moment." Alannah stated as she continued walking to a darker corner of the foothills. Legolas skipped to catch up to her, knowing he could see much better in the dark than her.

"I'll accompany you." He insisted as he walked by her side. She stopped walking and turned to him crossing her arms, frustrated.

"No. I need a moment alone." Alannah persisted as Legolas watched her walk away in the darkness. He kept his eyes fixated on her form in the dark until she disappeared on the other side of a boulder. His heart was pained as he rejoined Aragorn and Gimli, keeping his ears trained on any threatening sounds coming from Alannah's direction.

Alannah sat behind a large boulder with her knees pulled to her chest as she cried quietly. Although her wounds had healed as if they were never there, the pain in her heart remained of what had become of Boromir. She despised what the ring had caused him to do to her and to their friends and couldn't help but blame herself for being so preoccupied with Legolas that she didn't see the full extent of the toll it had taken on him. Alannah felt since she left on this quest all the questions she had of her past have only led to complicated answers with even more complicated questions. Her hand trailed down to the pocket on her tunic that held the small blue bottle that Galadriel had gifted her. She ran her thumb over the etched glass, debating on whether she could handle knowing everything that had occurred in the seventy four years she had lived, yet barely remembered. Up until the past few days she believed herself to be a mortal woman in her twenties with death a certainty and now, an elf gifted with an immortal life. She leaned against the rock and closed her eyes, allowing her troubled mind a moment's rest.

~

"She'll be okay, Legolas." Aragorn assured. Legolas didn't have to say a word to Aragorn for him to see what was going on. "She was betrayed by a close friend and lost that friend just days after losing another. Alannah must mourn."

"I know." Legolas responded wearily. "What shall I do?"

Aragorn looked surprised at the elf as he pulled his boots back on after rubbing the soreness from his own feet. "Let her know you're there for her. Take things at her pace." He stood up and nodded towards Legolas before calling out to Alannah.

"Alannah!" Aragorn shouted. "Come! I intend to keep my promise. Double time!"

They waited for her to respond but heard nothing. Legolas ran down to the direction she walked and found her curled up against the rock asleep. It pained him to walk over to her and shake her shoulder, waking her from the only sleep she's had since their night in Lothlorien.

"Alannah." He spoke softly as he shook her awake. "We must go now." Alannah opened her eyes sleepily at the sound of his voice and reached her hand up to pull at his tunic. He looked back towards Aragorn and Gimli before obliging and sitting beside her.

Gimli leaned on his axe as he spoke to Aragorn. "Looks like we have a few more minutes before we take off." Aragorn looked out towards the dark horizon and furrowed his brow.

"Only a few." He responded concernedly before walking back to sit on the rock and wait for them to rejoin.

"Alannah, speak to me, meleth nin." Legolas grasped Alannah's hand as she leaned into him. He put his arm around her while they sat together in silence. She sighed as she leaned her head back and looked at the bright stars against the black night sky.

"I just don't know how to feel anymore. I feel lost without Gandalf. He was like a father. And Boromir.." She searched her thoughts on what to say about him. "He was a good man, a noble man. He was my friend and I cared so deeply for him. The last time I saw him he was but a shadow of his former self."  She admitted. Legolas sympathized on some level after losing Gandalf and Boromir. They were both good friends to him and losing them did cause him heartache, but nowhere near as much as it caused Alannah.

"What can I do to help your heart be less weary?" Legolas asked softly. "I will do anything."

Alannah waited a moment before turning to kiss him. He leaned into her affection gratefully, satisfied to be receiving such a moment of love after everything that had happened. He could feel both of their need for each other growing and pulled away from her, planting a soft kiss on her forehead.

"We must go now." Legolas stood up, beginning to walk back to rejoin Aragorn and Gimli before stopping to notice Alannah did not follow. He turned to see her still sitting by the boulder, her knees pulled to her chest. "Alannah."  He persisted, his voice more serious now.

Alannah tried to force herself to stand but found herself unable to do so, as if all her strength had drained from her. She pushed away the thoughts of Boromir and Gandalf and tried to focus on the hobbits, desperate to find them safely. Her heart ached as if it was filled with lead that held her down to the ground. Legolas looked at her confused before he pulled out a piece of lembas bread from his tunic, realizing her weariness and hunger were to blame.

"Here." He ordered as he held it out to her. "Eat this, it will help." Alannah shook her head as she tried to pull herself to stand again, only to slump back down.

"I can't eat. Not until we find the hobbits and they're safe." She responded stubbornly. Legolas grew impatient as he stomped over to her and shoved the bread in her hand.

"You haven't eaten in days. If you don't eat this you clearly care more for yourself than you do about me or Merry and Pippin." Legolas hissed as he walked back to join Aragorn and Gimli. He hated that he was being so harsh to her after all that she had been through but he didn't know any other way to get her to eat. They had to move now if they wanted to rescue the hobbits and he was desperate to find somewhere safe for her.

Alannah sat stunned at the accusation that came from Legolas. She had come to expect comfort from her betrothed and became even more troubled by his reaction to her. She forced back tears as she took small bites from the bread, desperate for anyone to understand the complexity of what she was feeling even though she didn't understand herself.  Her stomach began to feel full and her energy raised as she wrapped the rest of the lembas in its leaf and pulled herself to her feet with ease. She wiped her face clean of any tears and pulled her hair behind her ears as she made her way to the rest of the group.

Legolas stood patiently with Aragorn and Gimli as he watched Alannah walk back towards them. He extended his arm to her in hopes of apologizing to her but instead she shoved the remaining lembas in his hands and continued to walk past him. Gimli and Aragorn exchanged glances as they turned their attention away from the feuding couple. Legolas looked at the half eaten bread confused before Alannah turned around to stand face to face with him.

"Never say that to me again." She hissed. Legolas stared into her deep green eyes as he nodded his head, ashamed of being so harsh to her when it was unwarranted. She turned her attention to Aragorn.

"Let's go." She insisted. Aragorn nodded as they began to run in the direction of the orc horde. Legolas watched her as he followed her, regret overcoming him as he saw a tear fall from her face and into the dirt beneath their trampling feet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.6K 245 7
Kindress lives a mundane rich lifestyle with her doctor husband when her life is interrupted by mysterious rapid changes to her body. Her womb was de...
29.8K 1K 42
Kairi Aria had been working for Scotland Yard for almost a year without incident. She had been very successful in remaining unnoticed by her coworker...
1M 54.9K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
60.2K 1.3K 34
Emerin always followed her kings command. Watching over the Prince of The Woodland Realm, making sure that nothing happened to King Thranduils only h...