Moonlight

By CameronTollett

Grace Barrington is a sixteen year old girl living in the small town of Walpole, New Hampshire. Her sophomore... More

Author's Note
Preface
Chapter 1 (Eavesdropping)
Chapter 2 (Rule Breakers)
Chapter 3 (Introductions)
Chapter 5 (The Movie)
Chapter 6 (The Cold Shoulder)
Chapter 7 (Halloween)
Chapter 8 (Jealousy)
Chapter 9 (Moonlit Field)
Chapter 10 (The End)
Chapter 11 (Missing Pieces)
Chapter 12 (Gone)
Chapter 13 (Time)
Chapter 14 (The Dance)
Chapter 15 (Unexpected)
Chapter 16 (Confessions)
Chapter 17 (Emotions)
Chapter 18 (Guardians)
Chapter 19 (Aftermath)

Chapter 4 (Plans)

21 1 0
By CameronTollett

What kid isn't excited to leave school and go home? Practically none, but on this day I definitely was the most excited of them all. The bus dropped me off at my house and I rushed inside. Dad wouldn't be coming home from work until later this evening and mom is out running errands right now. Trying not to focus on the impending phone call, I decided to put on some tv to distract my mind. Everything at this time of day was boring, It was mostly talk shows or game shows. How unexciting. I turned off the tv and went into my room.

I'll go start on my homework. That would be a good distraction. Maybe I'd finish it by the time Malum called.

I sat at my desk, reading my text books and answering questions. This seemed to be taking forever. How long had I been sitting here? I looked at the clock on my dresser and realized only 20 minutes had passed since I began. Ugh. Why can't he just call already?

The second I thought that, the phone rang. I jumped out of my chair and ran into the kitchen where the phone was. Almost dropping the phone in my attempt to answer quickly, I finally put it up to my ear.

"Hello, Blanchard residence."

"Hey Grace, it's me!" Malum said enthusiastically.

"About time. Whats up?"

"Just relaxing on my sofa. You?"

"I was just getting a head start on my homework before you called. The science worksheet is killing me."

"I bet. I'll have to get working on it later if you say it's difficult." He replied with a slight laugh.

"I'm sure you will do fine. So did you want to make plans for Friday? My parents haven't arrived home yet so I haven't gotten the chance to ask them, but I was curious on what you wanted to do anyways."

"That's okay. Do you want to go see a movie maybe?"

I thought for a moment. A movie. That sounded fun enough. It would give us a few hours to be alone. With nobody to interrupt.

"Yeah definitely. Let's do that!. What time?" I asked.

"Does 7:30 sound good for you?"

"Yes that's fine. I'll run it by my parents and let you know in school tomorrow."

"Sounds good. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. Gotta go start the homework now. See you tomorrow Grace."

"Bye Malum."

I hung up the phone, ran back to my room, and jumped on my bed. I giggled loudly. I was going to the movies. With my first legitimate crush. I can't believe it. I've only known him for a day or so and this was already happening. How did I become so lucky? Why did he decide to single me out? There were definitely other kids who were more fun, or exciting, and even better looking than me. But he chose me. The awkward girl with bright red hair.

A few hours later my parents arrived home and we sat down for dinner. Our meals are usually quiet. We don't small talk in my family, so this will be a little awkward. When do I ask them about Friday? Should I do it now or wait until after dinner? I guess I'll just do it now.

"Hey mom, dad. I have a question."

"Yes honey?" My mom replied not looking up from her food.

My father quickly glanced at me but did not seemed interested in what I was about to ask. I continued anyways.

"I was wondering if I could go to the movies with my friend this Friday. We wouldn't be out super late. The movie starts at 7:30."

Again, my mother did not look up from her plate.

"Sure, sure. That's fine. Are you going with Autumn?"

Crap. Here comes the tricky part. I had never asked to hangout with a guy. Ever. Yes I have had guy friends over to the house before, but that was only for birthday parties. Well here goes nothing.

"No I'm not going with Autumn... I'm going with my friend Malum."

Silence. Complete silence.

Both of them looked up from their food at the same time, glanced at one another and then looked at me.

"Who's Malum?" My father asked.

"He's new to the school. Him and his family just moved here this last week. We're friends now and we were thinking about hanging out outside of school. I hope that it's okay with you guys."

They glanced at each other again. There was more silence. Then my mother spoke.

"Well, okay. That's fine I guess. But we need to meet him before you guys go anywhere. Okay?" she said in a stern tone.

'Yes, totally. That's fine. I will let him know. Thanks mom, thanks dad!"

I smiled and then went back to eating my food.

-----------

Malum was already sitting down at our homeroom table when I walked through the door. This was shocking. He was much earlier today.

"Wow, you're early compared to yesterday."

"I don't like to make the same mistake twice." He replied with a smile.

I sat down next to him and pulled my notebook out of my bag. I always doodled on the pages whenever I was bored or nervous. In this case, I was nervous. Hopefully he would be okay with meeting my parents so soon. Please don't let this change his mind.

"So I talked to my parents last night and they are fine with us going to the movies on Friday night."

His smile looked like he had won the lottery. By the looks of it he was feeling as happy as I am.

"Awesome! I'm glad they approved. My dad can pick you up from your house if you want. I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue for him."

Okay here comes the catch that might change his mind. Come on Grace, just spit it out. It can't be that bad.

"Yeah so speaking of parents...there was one stipulation about us going to the movies together..."

He seemed slightly confused, but not angry. Not yet at least.

"Okay what is it?'

Mind as well stop beating around the bush and spit it out already I guess.

"My parents want to meet you. They said this was the only way they would say yes to us hanging out. I know it's kind of a big deal, and I was uncomfortable about it, but I just wanted them to say yes. So I told them that it wasn't a problem. I hope that is okay with you..."

My voice trailed off and I was waiting for his reply. Hopefully he wasn't angry. Hopefully he didn't change his mind. Good going Grace. I should have said no to my parents stipulation and tried to find another sort of compromise with them.

Malum was staring at his notebook. His expression was unreadable. He lifted his head up and looked at me. Oh god, here it comes.

"Yeah of course. That's totally fine with me. I'm sure your parents will love me."

He said it was fine. Thank goodness. That saved myself from a lot of hurt and disappointment.

I smiled at him. "Great! I'm glad you're okay with meeting them so soon. They don't bite. I promise. We aren't a coven of vampires or anything. They're really okay. Hopefully they don't intimidate you too badly.

Oh goodness. Why did I bring up the fact that he might be intimidated by them? Yes my parents can be very protective of me, and this is the first time I have asked to hangout with a guy outside of school. So yes, they might be a little intimidating. Good going Grace. Another blunder in a two minute time period. I hope this won't change his mind.

He was staring at me. His expression was once again unreadable. If only I could read minds. That would make everything much easier.

He scoffed. "I don't get intimidated easily Grace."

"That's good." I replied while laughing to him and secretly at myself.

Of course he doesn't get intimidated easily. I worry too much. Maybe for once the world wasn't completely against me. Maybe I can finally be happy. Up until this point my life has been a roller coaster of emotions. Living in the area my entire life has started to take its toll on me. Yes I love my family and friends, but I've always felt that there is a different life out there for me. Obviously I am only sixteen and a sophomore in high school. Most people would say I don't know what I'm talking about and that I should wait until I am older to start making future plans. Yeah. Sure. Maybe I should wait. But a girl can dream can't she?

I didn't even notice other students walking in to the classroom until Malum was snapping his fingers in my face.

"Earth to Grace. Wake up. Stop zoning out." He laughed.

My newfound addiction to daydreaming got the best of me again. I fell back down to earth.

"What? Oh, sorry. My bad. I've been daydreaming too much these last few days. Maybe I should talk to a shrink about that or something." I gave a pathetic laugh.

"Totally. Daydreaming qualifies you for intense therapy these days. Said no one ever."

I slapped his shoulder. "Hey no need to be mean and sarcastic mister.

He stared at me. I finally noticed that his eyes were as gold as the sun. If they are so gold right now then how did I mistake them for such a dark shade of black before? I shook my head. It didn't matter at the moment. I was too starstruck too care. How can someone this young be so breathtaking? And I am only talking about his eyes here. I was lost in his warm sunlight. Then I felt a poke in my side.

I snapped back to reality once again.

"Sorry, sorry. I'm very tired this morning. That's probably why I keep zoning out." I said with a yawn.

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah I'm sure that's the reason."

"It is!"

He laughed quietly to himself. "Okay Grace, whatever you say."

He smiled again and it lit up my entire world.

I didn't even notice Ms. Leona walking up to the front of the classroom until she started taking roll call.

"Grace Barrington."

My name did not register in my mind.

Ms.Leona was annoyed. "Hello, Grace. Your body is here but your mind apparently isn't."

I looked away from Malum. I could feel my face turning a slight shade of red. "My apologies Ms. Leona. I'm tired this morning."

She did not seem convinced. "Mhmm. Okay then. Make sure to pay attention for the rest of our time together this morning please."

I nodded in response and turned back to Malum. He was laughing at me.

"Grace maybe you should start drinking coffee."

"Oh shut up Malum." I laughed. I could tell that today would be another good day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394 18 26
Cora Michaelson is normal 16-year-old living in Rochester, New York. On the last day of school in her Social Studies class, she meets Jake. She finds...
18 1 7
I girl who grew up in a hard background has to face her fears and become something and someone she never thought would happen.
850 29 10
Lilibeth has had a tough life so far. She has to live with her aunt and uncle and at the same time she gets bullied at school. However, a mysterious...
143 1 21
Rodmilla Maxine Eldon has to start formal education when after her mothers death, her father takes a teaching position at Honeybourne Academy. She qu...