Reasons to Live | ✔

By HisBeautifulMess

After an incident three months ago and her parent's divorce, Reina Caverly finds a way to cope: cutting herse... More

Chapter 1-
Chapter 2-
Chapter 3-
Chapter 4-
Chapter 5-
Chapter 6-
Chapter 7-
Chapter 8-
Chapter 9-
Chapter 10-
Chapter 11-
Chapter 12-
Chapter 13-
Chapter 14-
Chapter 15-
Chapter 16-
Chapter 17-
Chapter 18-
Chapter 19-
Chapter 20-
Chapter 21-
Chapter 22-
Chapter 23-
Chapter 24-
Chapter 25-
Chapter 26-
Chapter 27-
Chapter 28-
Chapter 29-
Chapter 30-
Chapter 31-
Chapter 32-
Chapter 33-
Chapter 34-
Chapter 35-
Chapter 36-
Chapter 37-
Chapter 38-
Chapter 39-
Chapter 40-
Chapter 41-
Chapter 43-
Chapter 44-
Chapter 45-
Chapter 46-
Chapter 47-
Chapter 48-
Chapter 49-
Chapter 50-
Reasons to Live...Epilogue?!
Bonus 1: Calvin's Reason To Live
Bonus 2: Two Years Later...

Chapter 42-

8.9K 306 32
By HisBeautifulMess

Chapter 42-

Taylor James office was always neat and organized, much like herself. She ran the firm with her husband but he was always traveling much of the time as his work was more rigorous, I barely got to see him often anyways. Much like Mrs.James, he was devastated when he found out that me and Paul broke up but didn't want to butt in and try to save our relationship.

Which I appreciated.

The receptionist gave me a smile as she directed me to one of the many seats available before going back onto her computer. I awkwardly placed my school bag down on the floor and looked around, observing.

The grey and white pattern on the floor rug was just as plain as the main office itself. There was small white vases of flowers throughout the office and a huge land scape painting too.

I stared at the small white clock, clenching and unclenching my fists to help calm my fast beating heart. I glanced around the small office I was in, trying to distract myself. But internally, I was having an internal battle with myself as I waited for her to come out of her office to see me.

A few minutes passed before Mrs.James poked her head out of her office. As her eyes landed on me, she signaled for me to follow her into her office.

I quickly picked up my bag and followed suit into her office.

"Hi Reina. I'm sorry about the mess in my office right now. I'm trying to get my case tomorrow. And with your stand, we'll defiently get these people to serve their maximum amount in jail," she said as soon as I stepped into her office.

Their were files, books and papers scattered all over her desk and some even on the floor.

"It's fine. I'm sorry I didn't get back on your calls," I confessed lamely as I took a seat she gestured me too.

"Don't worry about it. I know it was a lot to take in probably which is why I wanted to make sure you are okay."

"How exactly is the case going?"

She chuckled at my question.

"You're always the first to not dance around the question huh? Even back then you always didn't beat around the bush," she said, smiling fondly of how close we used to be.

"I guess I never was," I replied to her question quietly.

"Well first...I need a actual verbal agreement that the pictures I am going to show you are the people who hurt you that night. Not only that but I need an account of that night too," she explained as she looked around for the small light folder she had two nights ago.

I gulped nervously, trying to calm myself.

I gripped onto the necklace as a way to support myself.

"Reina, if you need a break for whatever reason, just let me know okay?"

I nodded my head, nervous.

She slowly took the file and slide it to me.

I gingerly lifted the folder to look at the two pictures on there and my eyes watered. I felt like I wanted to puke but I held it in.

"It was them," I said, quickly shutting the folder and pushing it back to her. I hated how weak I felt right now. I wanted to leave but I knew I couldn't. I knew that I needed to stay here and get the justice I knew I needed and deserved.

She nodded and took out a small water bottle from her drawer and placed it onto the table.

I mumbled a thanks as I took a small sip, trying to calm my nerves.

"How many people did they harm?"

"Jerry White and Marcos Lopez raped almost ten women since six months ago. Not only that but they actually also operate a drug and prostitution ring itself. I have almost all the evidence and stance to back up my claim as well," she replied.

"Would I have to see them in court?"

She shook her head.

"No. There are already several women that's going to be there to testify. If you want too, you can testify against them," she offered.

I shook my head.

"I just want to know how many years they will serve jail for their actions."

"You're looking at something between 50 years and up if they are found guilty for all of their actions," she replied as she intertwined her fingers together and looked straight at me.

Fifty years.

Fifty years for the ten women they both destroyed.

Fifty years for their illegal actions.

"I also need a recording of what exactly happened that night. I don't need any detailed explanation but enough so it can be used against them," she explained as she took out a small voice recording and placed it onto the table.

I looked at the small black device on the desk.

"When you are ready, you can click the red button and I'll start the recording. You can introduce who you are and just give a small background as of what went on that day so we can use it against them in court."

"When exactly is the court day?"

"Tomorrow. And with this many evidence backing us up, their sentence and fate is already sealed."

I leaned over and for a moment, just thought to myself just how much I had overcome by coming here and facing with my past.

I needed to do this.

I clicked the small red button and closed my eyes.

"My name is Reina Calverly. I'm a senior in high school right now and over the summer...I was raped. Jerry White and Marcos Lopez were the two men...who raped me on June 13th at about 11pm or so. They were my dad's coworker at Kapell's Cooperation as well," I replied hesitantly, trying to swallow the lump that was forming in my throat. I took a pause, willing myself not to cry as I clutch harder onto the angel winged necklace. I refused to open my eyes as I continued to speak.

"I was waiting for my dad to get off work that day outside. I was on the phone texting when they approached me. They knew who I was. They knew who my father was too," I whispered angrily as even now...I never knew why they targeted me.

"They destroyed my life ever since that day. They took something that I know I can't ever get back. I haven't been the same since that day. They threatened that they would kill me and everyone I love if I told anyone. I kept it a secret up to now...and it had change my life. I have night terrors. I've been depressed. It destroyed my parent's relationship. And I won't ever forgive them for their actions," I said, my voice shaking at the last part. It was getting hard to breath but I held in my tears as I opened my eyes and hastily reached for a tissue that was seated on the desk.

Before I can process anything else, Mrs.James crashed me into her arms and held me tightly.

"I'm going to make sure they serve the maximum amount of prison time for what they had done to you," she whispered and just like that...I broke down.

It was weird as I never even cried this hard with my parents that night that I told them. They never went into detail with asking me, as they couldn't believe or take it in.

And I never went into detail with them either.

And yet...here I was spilling my guts out.

Every negative emotion I felt towards that night was laid out to her even more as I spoke more.

It was hard admitted the fact that one was raped. It was something that you shouldn't ever face. It was something that was hard to admit out loud because once you say it...you're admitting and accepting your past.

We chatted a bit for over an hour as I got to learn more about the case and what I had been doing since me and Paul broke it off. By the time I was done, it was already seven o'clock. I wasn't in a rush since London was going out for dinner with a few friends from her mommy and me classes.

"I really want to thank you for going into detail with my case and really bringing them to justice," I said as I got up, ready to leave. My eyes weren't as puffy anymore but I still sniffled here and there from the excessive crying in the last hour.

Not to mention that I felt super drained already too.

"I always did think of you as my own daughter when Paul introduced me to you. I know this is a bit awkward to ask but...do you ever consider getting back with him?"

I smiled as I shook my head.

"I'm sorry Mrs.James. Paul is an amazing guy and an amazing boyfriend as well but...I don't think we will get back together. I admit it was mean of me to break up after that night but...I'm not in love with him anymore," I said truthfully as I played with the necklace around my neck.

"I noticed by the way you clutched onto that necklace. I assumed your boyfriend gave it to you?"

I nodded and she smiled genuinely at me.

"I'll update you as of how it goes tomorrow but I know they will get what they deserve," Mrs.James confidently said and I nodded.

I said goodbye to her and the receptionist as I made my way out the door. It was getting pretty late so I quickly tried to make my way home through the BART back to the city.

I was surprised that I saw Calvin asking where I was.

I quickly dialed him back.

"Hello?"

Crap, his croaked and grumpy voice told me that he probably just woke up.

"I'm sorry. I thought you were awake. I didn't know you were sleeping. I just saw that you called me and I w-" I stopped talking as I heard Calvin on the other side of the phone laughing.

I pouted, even though I knew he couldn't probably see me. I huffed loudly to get the message across that I was not amused with his laughing.

"It's always so nice to hear you. You're voice seem to always make me smile," Calvin said.

"Me too," I confessed and immediately, I felt myself blushing at just how honest I was being with him.

"I was just checking if you got off work yet."

"Yeah," I lied smoothly even though a part of me wanted to tell him the truth.

I held it in.

"How was your day at home? Recovering okay? Did you change them so it won't get infected?"

"No, I just got out of bed."

"You have to change it each day to make sure it's good," I scolded as I started to make my way to BART.

He groaned like a child on the other line, making me chuckle.

It always made me feel better whenever I talked to him.

"Can I come over?"

My stomach did a backflip at the thought of being alone again.

"Are you sure you can even get up? Why? Is everything okay? Is Erik home?"

"No. I just want to hold you and I somewhat miss your cooking. Is London home?"

"Well she's not home right now but she will be coming home later tonight. How exactly are you going to get to me anyways?"

"Uber," he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I'll be home in about forty minutes if that's okay with you?"

"Sure. I'll meet you there in a bit. You want anything? I can get it on the way to you? Chipotle?"

I made a face, "It's fine. I'll grab Chipotle on the way home since I don't want you to move around too much."

"I'm going to get it, Reina. Get home now," he demanded.

I huffed but didn't argue against him.

____________________________________________________

Donations can be made here: paypal.me/HisBeautifulMess

Reasons to Live: 42. "Sometimes we fall, sometimes we stumble, but we can't stay down. We can't allow life to beat us down. Everything happens for a reason, and it builds character in us, and it tells us what we are about and how strong we really are when we didn't think we could be that strong." -Gail Devers

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.2K 1.4K 51
Every scar has a story but Cary Douglas isn't talking. SCARS trilogy vol. 1. Cary learned a long time ago that secrets and silence equal survival and...
88.5K 1.1K 29
16 year old Alyne Montgomery's life is far from perfect. With her playing the role of a perfect family, even with her mother dead and perfect brother...
1K 84 43
Why do bad things happen to good people? A question that his boy is making himself more then ever this days. From the beginning we see a 17 year old...
1K 127 26
In the midst of his teenage years, a 14-year-old high schooler found himself falling deeply in love for the very first time. However, there was a cat...