Broken || h.s. AU (old versio...

By uhohregrettio

"Isn't it funny how it's the boy from the dark that helped me see the light?" - Unedited version. Go to my bi... More

WARNING
UNEDITED VERSION:
Prologue- Angel
Chapter 1- Harry Styles
Chapter 2- Complications
Chapter 3- Motives
Chapter 4- Attacked
Chapter 5- Saved
Chapter 6- Dreams
Chapter 7- "Pips"
Chapter 8- Giving Up
Chapter 9- Apologies
Chapter 10- Guilty
Chapter 11- Flowers
Chapter 12- Fire
Chapter 13- Dazzled
Chapter 14- Crackers and Cheese
Chapter 15- Rain
Chapter 16- Lavender
Chapter 17- Broken Glass
Chapter 18- Alright
Chapter 19- Lullabies
Chapter 20- Circles
Chapter 21- Reunion
Chapter 22- Cracked Toys
Chapter 23 - Family Time
Chapter 24 - Sketches
Chapter 25 - Shampoo
Chapter 26 - A Surprise Destination
Chapter 27 - Musicals and Roses
Chapter 29 - Lies
Chapter 30 - Reflections
Chapter 31 - Clinic
Chapter 32 - Loving, and Being Loved
Chapter 33 - Forgiven
Chapter 34 - Take Two
Chapter 35 - PB&J's and Dancing
Chapter 36 - Late Night Talks
Chapter 37 - Impact
Chapter 38 - Hourglass
Chapter 39 - Wishes and Pinky Promises
Chapter 40 - Rainbows
Epilogue - Falling Asleep
Epigraph

Chapter 28 - Prom

958 38 5
By uhohregrettio

Chapter 28 - Prom

As the front door opens downstairs, I can feel excitement bubbling up in me as I quickly rush past Alice. Just as I step out the door, I feel her small hand grab my arm.

"Julia, hold on." She whispers quietly, ignoring as I strain towards the stairs. "Julia, you don't want to look desperate." She hisses, pulling me further away from the stairs. "But I am desperate!" I whine, leaning as best as I can to try to see Harry. "Don't let him know that." She giggles quietly, grabbing my other wrist to turn me to face her.

Once her green eyes lock with mine, I force myself to focus on her, not on the boy right below us. Alice gives a small smile, her chestnut hair struggling to free itself from the loose bun that clings to her head.

"Count to ten, Julia. Then go down. Slowly." She instructs, nodding slowly as if explaining to a child. I barely nod, forcing the trembling whispers past my lips.

"One... two... three..."

Alice nods encouragingly, mouthing the numbers with me.

"Four... Five... Six..."

"Julia?" I hear Harry call from down the stairs.

"Ten!" I hiss silently towards Alice, spinning on my heel towards the staircase. I quickly make my way down the stairs, probably breaking the sound barrier. And then I meet his eyes.

His green eyes look over me adoringly, his pink lips parted in awe. This immediately stops me. It brings me back to a normal pace as I grip the railing to keep myself from diving into his arms. And finally after an agonizing wait, my silver shoes touch the floor in front of Harry.

He's dressed in an entirely black suit, buttoned neatly over a white shirt. A white rose is peeking out of his pocket, right over his heart. His dark curls are carefully styled up into a sleek quiff, not one curl out of place.

I feel one hand envelop mine but I can't make myself look down. I can't tear my eyes from his beautiful smile.

"You look... stunning." He barely whispers just as I feel something brush against my wrist. I look down just in time to see him pull his hand away from my wrist, where now a corsage sits snugly.

I smile in response, looking back up to meet his eyes. "So do you." I murmur, my heart leaping around erratically inside my chest. Another dazzling smile crosses his lips.

We're silent, both of us just soaking in the other's presence. Behind me, I hear someone clear their throat and I turn, having forgotten anyone else but Harry is here.

Laura and Tony stand with smiles, Tony's arm wound around Laura's thin waist. "You both look great." Tony states, grinning. I feel an arm wrap around me, Harry's side pressed against mine.

"Thank you, sir." He replies politely. Laura looks up towards her husbands face, a smile on her own. And Tony gives another impish grin. "Harry, now I know you can be trusted and you care deeply for our Julia. But I want you to treat her well. We love Julia as if she's our actual daughter. You take care of her, son." He points at Harry as he says the last part, his tone stern. But to my relief, he still has that big smile.

So I look up to Harry to see him grinning broadly. "I will, sir. I love Julia just as much as you all do. And if I may be so bold, maybe more. I won't let anything happen to her." He states seriously, his grip tightening on my waist. Tony assesses the tall boy at my side, his face blank in thought. And then he smiles. "You two kids have fun."

∘∞∘ ∘∞∘ ∘∞∘ ∘∞∘

Harry helps me out of the car, one hand in mine, the other pushing the rental car door shut. Harry had not exactly been too keen on the idea of taking a pink Volkswagen bug to prom so he had gone to the effort of renting a small black car.

Harry's arm links in mine as we follow the stream of seniors towards the entrance of the school. There's not a word between the two of us, but we don't need to. We're just as content with the physical contact.

As we walk into the school, the air seems to hum with excitement. Excited chatter is all around us and my stomach is doing flips. Harry hands our tickets to the teacher standing by the gym doors, and then we walk in. I am in complete awe.

Streamers hang from the tall ceiling, balloons everywhere I look. In a way, the room reminds me of a meadow of flowers. Colors of all variety's swirl slowly around the room, flitting throughout the others like flowers drifting in the breeze. But besides that, there is nothing else even close to a flower meadow.

The room is dark, colored lights flickering about the crowd. The room throbs with a heavy beat that seems to make my bones vibrate. Whoops and shouts are throughout the room, demanding to be heard through the deafening music. And yet, adrenaline immediately pulses through me.

An excited giggles pushes past my lips and I grip Harry's hand in mine, pulling him into the throng of people. I feel his hand shake in mine as he laughs, following me into the crowd.

Harry's P.O.V.

Julia sits in the chair next to mine, her finger fiddling with the material of her dress as we talk. She looks so perfect. Her cheeks are flushed red from excitement and the heat of the crowd.

"Thank you for taking me." She says over the loud music, a bright grin on her face. Her dark eyes twinkle excitedly and her chest rises and falls with heavy breaths. I can still feel the heavy beat throbbing through my body, causing my heart to beat quickly. I nod once in response, glancing down towards her pink lips.

"You're welcome. Thank you for coming." I shout back. I can't hear the laugh that leaves her lips, but I can see as her eyes clench shut, her head throwing back. I laugh along too. I know neither of us are laughing because of what I said. It isn't even remotely funny. We're just laughing because it feels good. It feels so good to be sitting so close with our blood buzzing with excitement, just laughing together.

The chatter slowly dies down as the heavy beat fades to a soft hum, slowly drifting to another song. I immediately recognize it. I Won't Give Up, Jason Mraz. As I look over to Julia, by the look of adoration on her face, she recognizes the song. I smile slightly to myself and stand, offering my hand.

"Will you dance with me?" I question softly, something inside of me flipping when she looks up at me, love glowing in her smile. She nods shyly, slipping her small hand into mine. I lead her towards the crowd of other couples, chatting quietly as they sway to the music.

I place my hand gently on her waist, my heart skipping a beat as she places her hand on my shoulder. We slowly sway, not bothering to talk. I just keep my eyes locked on hers, humming softly along. I don't know if she realizes it, but she silently mouthes the words to herself. And it really hits me. I really love her.

I love Julia and she loves me. My life is the dark, and hers is the light. Without her, I am lost. And without me, she is lost. There is no better feeling than loving and knowing you are loved in return. I adore everything about her.

I love how she delicately sings along to the song under her breath. I love that adoration in her eyes. I love that smile. I love the way that I can completely envelop her hand in mine. I love how all she has to do is look at me or say my name and I practically go cardiac arrest.

So I remove my hand from hers, wrapping both of my arms around her waist. Julia's smile widens and her arms immediately slide up to wrap around my neck. So both of us continue to sing under our breaths together as we sway side to side until the song slowly drifts to a close.

With perfect timing, my phone buzzes in my pocket. I give Julia a quick and apologetic smile, waiting until she nods in response before I turn away, pulling out my phone and answering it.

"Hello?"

I can hardly hear over the pounding music, but at first all I hear is shaky, shallow breathing. That's when my heart sinks to the pit of my stomach. Because this call is from my aunt.

"Hello?" I ask again, glancing to the side at Julia. She's watching me, brows furrowed in concern. And then on the other side of the phone, I barely hear a shuddering sob.

I hold a finger up, mouthing a quick "one second" towards Julia before walking out the gym doors. There's still soft, pained sobs coming through the phone and I can hear Julia's heels clicking as she follows behind me. Aunt Jane's trembling voice sounds in my ear.

"Harry.." She sobs, voice raising a little.

"Aunt Jane? What is it, why are you crying?" I question, dread growing within me. Julia immediately rushes to my side, her hand taking mine as she watches me.

"Harry- Har- It was awful." She sobs and I feel my brows furrow. "Is- Is Julia with you?" Her voice cracks slightly, raising at the end. "Yeah, she's right here." I reply, glancing down at her. Julia's dark eyes widen slightly, her hand tightening around mine.

"Harry, I-I was in an accident." She finally whispers and my heart immediately jumps into my throat.

"An accident? Are you okay? Where are you now?" I immediately question, looking down to Julia's shocked expression. "I'm fine, I'm fine..." She shakily exhales. "It's just.. I wasn't alone in the car.." Her voice trails off.

And the sinking in my stomach returns.

"Aunt Jane, who was it?" And by now, I already know who it is. But I'm praying with my whole heart it isn't her.

"Harry, it was Diana. Julia's mother."

My heart sinks.

A shuddering sob.

"Harry, Julia's mother.. She's dead.."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 5K 85
ON GOING - RE-WRITING 2024 What was it that made the girl so extraordinary? Was it because she was a Harry Potter's best friend, or maybe it was beca...
2K 197 15
THIS BOOK IS PUBLISHED AS ORIGINAL DRAFT, I WROTE IT WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND IT'S NOT EDITED SO THERE'S A LOT OF MISTAKES BECAUSE I DIDN'T RE-READ CHAPT...
362K 8.8K 22
[Completed] "That was the first night I had the dream. I was standing in a wilderness. Everything was black. Yet, there was a light ahead. It was dim...
1.1K 40 31
Thankyou for being there for me every day when I wake up, thankyou for being the light in the darkness and my guide during the day, thankyou for bein...