Once upon a Midnight

By figment007

Single mother Jennet was happy with her life and never wanted to change it a bit. She thought her life was se... More

1st Chapter
2nd Chapter
3rd Chapter
4th Chapter
5th Chapter
6th Chapter
7th Chapter
8th chapter
9th Chapter
10th Chapter
11th Chapter
12th Chapter
13th chapter
14th Chapter
15th Chapter
17th Chapter
Chapter 18
Chapter -19

16th Chapter

38 2 0
By figment007

Hey guys... I am sooo sorry for the long delay in updating but here is the new chapter. hope you all like it.

The dinner went on for forever, course after course was being served by young slaves.

I was amazed to see how everyone was busy eating and chatting for hours.

For some time I was bombarded with question after question about my life on earth and how I met Darian. Thankfully Stefan answered many of them on behalf of me, sparing me more lies.

Finally the desert was served and everyone started praising the royal chef.

Although I hardly ate but the food was really delicious I can say.

After some time Darian and Stefan's parents rose from their place to retire for the night, everybody else also stood up in there respect.

Before leaving they hugged me and welcomed me once again in their family. I felt like crying on my helplessness for not being able to tell them the truth.

As they left the table everybody sat down again and started chatting even more louder then before.

Stefan pressed an white handkerchief in my hand, whispering "wipe your eyes" that made me realise that tears was rolling down my cheeks.

I wiped them immediately turning away and heard Stefan ordering Victoria "Take lady Jennet back to her chamber. she is tired"

Victoria caught my arm but didn't say anything until I dried my eyes and turned to her with fake smile.

"Would you like to retire now?" she asked me polity.

"Yes please" I replied to her and once again everybody stood up with me as I got up to leave. Stefan also got up and bent down to place a kiss on my cheeks.

I swallowed my disgust and let him linger for longer then necessary.

"Good girl, remind me to reward you for your good behavior" He whispered in my ears before moving away.

"Good night Darling" I said sweetly for others benefit as everybody was looking at us.

Before he could reply I started toward the exit door with Victoria in tow.

-----*****-----

Once back in Darian's chamber, I slumped down on the bed and started crying. Victoria silently stood by my side till I spent all my tears and wiped my eyes.

"Are you ok lady Jennet?" she asked.

"I told you to call me Jennet" I said walking towards the bathroom.

she followed me there and started helping me to get out of the gown and remove the makeup while saying "I gather you are not happy here"

"You are damn right"

"What is bothering you? Shamayal said you can go back and meet your friends once Stefan is caught"

"I don't know how long that can take" I said thoughtfully.

"Darian will catch him soon I know" she said confidently.

"How?"

"You must know Darian never promises in vain. If he said he will catch Stefan then he will for sure. I believe he already sent his friends on earth to hunt him down, that's why they were not at dinner table"

"You mean Roger and Timothy?"

"The same. They can do anything for Darian. They are best friends. Specially Roger, Darian fought with his father to free him from slavery when they were quite young. Roger would give his life for Darian, he told me once"

"You know quite a lot about Roger" I said observing they way her face glow up while speaking about him and my guess proved to be right when she blushed at my remark.

"I... I do know him well" she replied shyly.

"Only well? I think you know him better then well..." I tried to tease her but she just laughed and said "I am glad that my lady finally smiled"

"Don't change the subject now. Tell me what's going on between you two? Don't forget we are friends now"

"Indeed we are, Roger wants to marry me. we have been planning for so long" she finally blurted.

"That's great, why haven't you done it up till now?"

"Because Roger is a free man and I was a slave"

"If he is such a good friend of Darian then why haven't he asked him to free you?"

"He wanted to but Darian didn't had the rights then to do so and when he became king.... he has been in such a foul mood after the combat festival that we thought better to wait a year or two instead of ruining our chance forever."

"Oh... but you are now a free woman too"

"Yes. thanks to you"

"Then why are you waiting here? Go tell Roger the good news."

"I wish I could, but he is no where to be found. that's why i thought Darian must have sent him to earth"

"Maybe or maybe not... why don't you go and check that out?"

"I want to but I am afraid to ask Darian, would you ask him?" she asked with such a hope in her eyes that I felt like crying all over again. What an irony that I know the truth but can't tell my only person here who could help me. How should I tell her that her love of life could be in danger too.

Surely Stefan wouldn't leave Darian's friends loose if he wants to take Darian's place.

I am sure he would try to get rid of them as soon as possible or maybe he already did. The thought was enough to make me feel sick but if they are still alive somewhere then they can help me escape and save Darian before its too late.

A plan started taking shape in my mind. I looked up to Victoria who was still looking at me with hope. Before I could say anything someone knocked at the door.

Victoria rushed out to see who there was, while I brushed my hair. She came back running "Queen Shamayal wants to speak to you. She is inviting you for private breakfast with her in her chamber tomorrow morning. Would you like to go?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"I guess not"

"Then I will have breakfast with her"

"Very well then, I shall inform the messenger right away" she said rushing out again.

I stared after her, making up my mind if I should tell her everything or not? Can I trust Victoria? but I have to, she is the only one who could help me. She has lived in Xainsia all her life, she is on Darian's side because of Roger and she has promised to be my friend forever. she is my best bet but I need to test her first. That will decide my fate as well as hers.

When she came back in the room I was already finished dressing up for bed and was sitting on the long couch.

"Do you require anything else?" she asked.

"No. But I am not feeling sleepy right now. would you like to sit and talk to me for a while. if you have to attend to something else then its ok"

"Nay I am free. Being a free woman now my only duty is towards you"

"Great... sit down then"

she hesitated for moment then sat down beside me.

Carefully choosing my words, I began asking her some general questions, faking curiosity.

she answered all of them with enthusiasm. Telling me more about Xainsia and Darian's family.

Then I turned the subject on her and Roger. She willingly told me their plans of marrying and making a house, having children.

Finally I asked her "What if you are unable to marry him?"

"That's not possible. We have been waiting for it for so long. As I am a free woman now nothing can stop us"

"Dose Roger also love you so much?"

"He does"

"What would you do if something happens to him?" I asked looking straight into her eyes. At first she looked taken aback but then she asked "Do you think he is in danger?"

"No... I mean he is a warrior, their lifes are always in danger right?"

"Not with Darian, he won't let anything happen to his friends. Beside that Xainsia has very little enemies."

"But what if Darian is unable to help them? What if he is not there to help them?"

"Its not possible. Darian is more then able to help anyone in need."

"What if he is not?" I asked desperately wanting her to think of Darian as a man who could use some help himself, instead of god who could do anything.

"What are you suggesting lady Jennet? Do you know something I don't?"

"Maybe or maybe not and call me Jennet"

"Please tell me Jennet, what's going on? Is Roger in danger? Should we inform Darian?"

"Nooo... please don't do that" I stopped her immediately as she started getting up.

she was looking at me suspiciously as if i have lost my mind.

"You need to tell me Victoria, what would you do if Roger is in danger?"

"I... I would do anything for him Jennet, please tell me you are just asking all this because of curiosity" she answered catching my hands in hers, desperately hoping for me to tell her everything is fine but I couldn't do that. I had to tell her the truth if I ever want to see Darian and Tanya safe again. I even wanted to see Victoria and Roger living their dream.

"I am sorry Victoria but Roger might be in danger" I said finally and saw the look of complete horror on Victoria's face.

Immediately she got up and started towards the door saying "I should inform Darian"

"Nooo... Victoria listen to me." I said, catching her before she could reach the door "Darian isn't here, he is on earth"

"But he was..."

"That was Stefan not Darian. He kidnapped me and brought me here"

"What?" She asked, unable to believe what she was hearing for a moment before she understood the meaning of and her hand flew to her mouth "Oh my god... what? How? Oh my god. What should I do now? I must inform Shamayal and Julius..."

"No we can't." I said holding her hand before she could move towards the door and said quickly "He would kill my daughter and Darian if I tell anyone..." I told her everything from the night Darian fell on my balcony to the night Stefan tricked me to believe he was Darian.

"Oh my god... what should we do now? He must have killed all Darian's friends up till now" Victoria started crying.

"We don't know that for sure yet but we need to know it because if they are still alive they may need our help"

"You are right but what can we do?" she said wiping her eyes.

"First of all, we need to find Roger and Timothy." I said before laying my plan to her.

Sooo... what you think of this chapter? please let me know your views. If anybody is still reading this story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134 1 16
I never realised that everything i was feeling would somehow come to life. This is a story based on real life events and some fiction. Its up to you...
4.4K 148 25
(NOT EDITED!!! this will be completely edited when I finish the story sorry if anything seems out of whack)...
171K 4.5K 12
One night was all it took for Jose to make a mistake that changed his life forever. He was still battling his childhood demons when the young innocen...
22.7K 547 36
Vivian had loved him so much so that she didn't care about her own life. It was unrequited love for which she had been badly hurt and eventually hand...