Kaden's Luna

By WYLD_ROSE

Book 2 of The Alpha Series - Sequel to my first book, The Hybrid. Kaden's Luna cannot be read as a stand alon... More

AN: Must Read!
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter #1
Bonus Chapter #2
Bonus Chapter #3
Bonus Chapter #4
TREAT Bonus Chapter!
The Alpha Series: Book 3
The Alpha Series: Book 4!

Chapter Twenty

67.1K 2.7K 371
By WYLD_ROSE

*Important Note: I don't know much about Amsterdam and how Christmas is done there so if anything is wrong, I apologize in advance. I researched a bit online and therefore, I cannot guarantee that everything I say about the following events are correct.

Chapter Twenty – Amsterdam.

The first week and a half has flown by as I anticipated.

I spent it catching up with my relatives and completing my gift shopping. Today is the day we are going to be putting up the Christmas tree, my parents have gone out to buy one whilst Nick and I are currently buying gifts for them.

Because our Dad is an architect, Nick buys him a Lego set made for adults every year. He has already ordered a Lego set that recreates an architectural wonder and went for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. I have bought them two tickets to a show they have been wanting to go see ever since they heard it was coming to Amsterdam.

Nick and I decide to buy Mum a necklace and earrings from a jewellery store in town before getting Dad a smart watch. We split up to get presents for each other and I walk around, trying to decide on what would be the perfect gift for him. As I am doing that I decide to buy something for Eva, Maddox and Kaden for when I get back to Berlin. The three of us have been doing this since our first year at university but now that I have met Kaden, I want to get him something too.

I decide to get my brother a video game he has been talking my ear off for ages and a leather weekend holdall that miraculously fit my budget. Next, I buy Eva and Maddox's presents before finally ending my shopping trip with Kaden's gift. It was extremely hard picking out something for him but I made the decision and now I just hope that he will like it.

I meet up with Nick by his car and he fails to take a sneak peek of his presents, a smug smile on my face when he groans at the sight of tissue paper covering it. We drive home with me yelling at Nick to slow down and not get us killed. By some miracle, we arrive home in one piece and I hop out of the car, rushing inside so that we can wrap our presents before our parents arrive.

Around four in the evening, we hear their car pull up before Dad calls Nick down to help him bring the tree in. I greet Mum with a hug and help her sort through the ornaments and decorations we will be putting on the tree this year and around the house, along with lights for outside.

We manage to decorate the tree faster since it's the four of us. Nick set up the basket at the bottom so that the tree wouldn't fall over when we backed away. I wrap the lights around it evenly whilst Mum and Dad hang the white and gold themed ornaments onto the tree. We work whilst listening to Christmas songs that play on my Mum's record player, singing along and laughing at my Dad's poor attempt to hit a high note. Nick places a star at the very top before we turn the lights on.

There is a mixture of white stars and gold baubles hanging from it. The lights emit a warm glow and I cheer at how festive it feels already. We went all out and decorated a very colourful tree last year so this time Mum wanted something nice and simple, something that represents a white Christmas.

Whilst our parents decorate the rest of the house, Nick and I are put on garden duty. We carry a large box of various Christmas lights outside with me protesting on how we should get a ladder since I'm too short to wrap them around the trees. He waves off my concerns and tells me that we'll be fine before walking over to the trees.

***

"Wrap it around that branch – oh my god, can you just listen to me for once?!" Nick rolls his eyes in agitation, pointing to a branch that I clearly can't reach.

"Push me up higher so I can actually reach it then!" I kick his arm, making him cry out in shock and glare at me.

He grumbles under his breath and pushes me up higher so that I reach the branch and successfully wrap it around this time. Nick helps me steady myself so I can sit on a strong part of the tree to continue wrapping the rest of the lights.

It takes us a long time to get the bigger trees in our garden decorated but we manage and within an hour, we have the front garden ready to be lit at night. Nick throws the box at me, telling me to catch it before running into the house, leaving me to follow after him.

We meet our parents in the kitchen where they are finishing up the last bit of decorations. The banister of the staircase is decorated with leaves and lights and there are lanterns placed on each step. I see two reindeer, made out of wires and lights, positioned by the stairs. As I walk through the hallway there are fairy lights and gold stars hanging above the dresser, a gingerbread house underneath it.

I open the door to see that my mother has decorated the kitchen a little less than the rest of the house but regardless it looks lovely. She notices me as I walk in and sends me a warm smile, asking me what I think. I tell her I love it before helping her finish up the last pieces.

"Anyone up for the Christmas Market tonight?" Nick asks, leaning against the counter and munching on some crisps.

"Oh yes! The Light Festival is on also, you guys are just on time!" Mum replies excitedly whilst Dad nods.

We agree to head out now as it is seven in the evening and it's quite dark out. I quickly finish up in the kitchen before rushing upstairs to get changed into a warmer outfit. It's quite cold outside so I put on a sweater, my coat, jeans and boots before grabbing my scarf and hat. My gloves are already in my coat since this morning when Nick and I went shopping so I could just take them out whenever my hands become cold.

"Come on, let's go!" I hear Nick yell dramatically as I make my way downstairs.

We're going to the Museum Square in Amsterdam which turns into the Christmas Village in December. The pond turns into an amazing, long ice rink that I cannot wait to go on. There is also traditional food and drinks to try such as mulled wine and hot chocolate.

My family and I have been going to the Christmas Village and the Amsterdam Light Festival every year since we moved here and it's one of the many things I love about this holiday. The Light Festival is where the city of Amsterdam lights up with sculptures, projections and art installations along roads, squares and canals. There are tours throughout the city and boat rides which take you along the canals and the river Amstel to see the art.

Because many of the light artwork is installed above the canal and by the river Amstel, we always take a cruise. It only takes around an hour and my father and Nick like to enjoy mulled wine or winter apple punch during it. I personally go with hot chocolate every year but this time Nick is determined that I try out the wine.

We pile into Dad's car and I take out my phone to send Kaden a text whilst he reverses the car and pulls out onto the road. I have been updating him on what I have been doing along with asking him what he has been up to. We message each other regularly throughout the day and I always call him just before bed so I can hear his voice.

At one point, I really thought that I had been caught by Nick but thankfully he didn't notice. I wanted to keep Kaden to myself, just for a little while, before telling my family that I'm dating someone.

"Who are you texting?" Nick asks, leaning over to see my phone screen making me turn it off.

"Just Eva." I reply with a smile, ignoring his narrowed eyes.

Technically it is half the truth because I am in fact texting Eva and Maddox throughout my break. I watch the scenery pass by through my window as we drive to the square, realising just how much I missed Amsterdam and how some things have changed.

It takes us a while to find a good parking spot because everyone is at the market during this time. Eventually, I'm getting out of the car with an excited grin, catching up to my brother as he walks ahead. He drapes his arm across my shoulders and just when I think that he's being nice, he pulls my beanie down so that I can't see. I groan and fix it, punching his arm lightly while he cackles like a maniac.

Our parents walk with us through the entrance and I instantly feel excited when I see everything set up and all festive. There was a huge Christmas tree in the park, decorated and lit up. Everyone was walking around and visiting stalls, buying things, drinking and trying out traditional delicacies. As we make our way through the crowds, I see that there are people and children on the ice rink already.

We decide to try out some food first since the last thing we had was breakfast and then some snacks in town. I follow my parents to one stall that sells Stroopwafel which is very popular around here. It is a waffle cookie with sweet syrup in between the two layers. I happily take it from the vendor's hand, biting into it as I try and find Nick.

I have just finished my waffle when we find Nick making his way towards us through the crowds with paper trays of Oliebollen. My Dad and I perk up at the sight of them and I take one tray from him. Oliebollen are Nick's favourite, they are deep fried dough balls with powdered sugar. Dad likes his with raisins inside whilst the rest of us like the plain ones.

After having some drinks, we decide to go on the ice rink. I grab the right size of ice skates and put them on, lacing them tightly. I make my way onto the rink, Nick grabbing my hand as I walk onto the ice. He grins at me before pulling me along, skating backwards. I'm not as skilled as my brother when it comes it ice skating but I can do a twirl without landing flat on my arse so I guess that counts.

After I have steadied myself, he lets go and we all skate around the long ice rink. I see children slowly learning to skate, some falling with adults tumbling to the floor also, laughing in delight. I love the atmosphere as everyone enjoys being with their family and friends. It's cold but the activity warms me up and I start to skate faster, catching up with my Mum who has passed Nick.

We skate for a long while and I never want to leave but Dad eventually suggests that we get some more snacks before leaving for the cruise. I get off the ice rink and take off my skates, handing them to the man working there. Putting on my own boots, I follow my Mum towards the Kroket stall. We buy some and dig in to the deep-fried roll with meat inside, covered in breadcrumbs. I chose to have mine served on a bun with mustard on the side.

I burst out laughing when Nick yelps and throws the snack back into his tray, burning his mouth because of how hot the kroket was. After we finish that, I grab some of my favourite Appeltaart from one of the stalls before rushing back to my parents. It is basically an apple pie flavoured with cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice apples. There is a lattice on the top and cakey dough on the bottom and edges.

I see that my parents have grabbed some Chocoladeletters which is a Dutch candy made of chocolate in the form of a letter. They are only given during early Christmas and can be bought in either white, milk or dark chocolate. I personally love milk chocolate and get it every year.

After we have regrouped, we set off for the Light Festival. It's not that far away and I find myself walking on the streets and enjoying the art installations. I see large playing cards on one street, the artist making it so that someone left a house of cards incomplete.

I stare at a multi-coloured nest as we pass by, a couple sitting in it while a friend takes a picture. There is an electric blue dog I can see in the distance and as we move closer to the canal I can see that someone has made figurines of the stages of someone running, jumping and landing on the bridge.

On the other side, there are white bicycles hanging down, one nearly immersed in the water completely. I get on the boat with my family for the cruise and we set off down the canal to see the art. The first thing I see is a rainbow over the canal we pass under, the next is giant neon tulips rising from the water, which change to red when we pass by.

As we travel onwards, my Mum catches my attention and I lean over to see three lines of flowers changing colours and reflecting light onto the dark water. To my right is a large green paper boat and we travel between two talking heads that are lit up with tiny dots on bright white light covering the entire face and ears.

I can hear everyone chattering around me, staring at the artwork in amazement whilst I take some pictures, not wanting to forget this. As I am looking down at my camera to see if my picture came out right, Nick calls me over. I walk to the mini bar where my family has gathered, my gaze on the marshmallows by the counter.

The bartender sets down some drinks beside us and I let out a groan when I see that there is an extra glass of hot mulled wine. My family cheers me on and my cheeks flame in embarrassment when the people around us join in. Feeling pressured, I take a big sip only to scrunch my mouth up in disgust at the weird taste. I don't know why everyone else likes this so much!

"That is horrible!" I frown in distaste, handing the wine back to Nick.

"Well, if you were more of a drinker you wouldn't think so!" He grins, downing the drink.

"I'm fine with you being the alcoholic of the family, thanks." I smile sarcastically, crying out in shock when he pushes me.

I shove him back making him bump into Dad and spilling some of his mulled wine. Our parents glare at us, making me shrink behind Nick's body that successfully hides me.

"Be nice to each other...or I'll push you two off the boat." Dad warns, completely serious.

"You can't do that to your own children!" Nick snorts, taking a sip of his drink.

"Watch me." Is all Dad says before walking away to get my mother some hot chocolate.

When my Mum decides to follow, I tell her to get me a mug too, craving to have something sweet. Nick and I stare at each other, wondering if our father would really do such a thing.

"Nah." We both say, going back to our drinks and pointing out the art installations as they pass by.

I send Kaden, Eva and Maddox some pictures I have taken this evening, commenting on which one were my favourites. Eventually, my parents return with more drinks and I happily take my hot coco, taking a sip of the sweet beverage.

The last art installation we see is of a big heart made of lightbulbs, constantly changing colour like the rest of the light art. I smile at how it's a perfect ending to the cruise, a bit sad that we will now be getting off. I step off the boat and walk up the deck towards the road, my family following behind.

It is eleven at night yet everyone is still energetic and the atmosphere is lively. There is live music playing, people walking around with snacks from the Christmas market and children making sounds of amazement as they walk from one art installation to another.

"Ready to go home kids?" My Mum asks from behind as Nick catches up to me.

"Sure!" He replies, nudging me with his elbow as knowing smirks slip onto our faces.

I'm going to be meeting him tonight at twelve in the hallway to go into town with snacks and sweets, driving around until the early hours of the morning. It's our tradition that we still do to this day and even though I knew our parents could hear us sneaking out at night, it's still adventurous.

"Today was a good day." I sigh in content, snatching the paper bag Nick held and running off with his candy.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I found myself sprinting to the car, fearing for my life as my brother ran behind me, yelling how he's going to get his revenge. 

Um...I don't know about Luna but I'm missing Kaden already! 😫😂

Next update: Thursday!

Vote, Comment and Share!

- R.W. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 1.8K 11
•Completed• Disclaimer; Only FIVE chapters AVAILABLE. FOLLOW my story on 'FICFUN', If you want to know what HAPPENS NEXT. •Top position; 3rd in Writi...
1.2M 46.6K 31
Book 4 of The Alpha Series! Cannot be read as a standalone book! Highest rank: #1 in Werewolf genre on 06/11/2019! Amelia Reid and Ivan Romanov were...
18.1K 706 34
**Not edited.** A mere human, being adopted by wolves is but one of many unique surprises surrounding Kay. When suddenly a fierce Alpha appears, foll...
648K 34.1K 36
[IMPORTANT SEQUEL ALERT: Book #2 of 'The Lost One' Series] Love. That's what they had. He loved her and she loved him. Kaiden had never been as pro...