A Shattered Life (LOTR/Legola...

By ElvenArcher0106

It's been 60 years since Amara Silverhood traveled with the Company of Thorin Oakenshield, but the pain in he... More

Prologue- A Love Lost
Chapter 1- Rivendell Calls
Chapter 2- The Mountain Pass
Chapter 3- Mines of Doom
Chapter 4- Lothlörien Gifts
Chapter 5- Breaking of Fellowship
Chapter 6- Torture in the Night
Chapter 7- Hope Lost
Chapter 8- Egde of Death
Chapter 9- The Road to Edoras
Chapter 10- Releasing Theoden
Chapter 11- Truth Will Out
Chapter 13- A Ranger Returns
Chapter 14- To Fight
Chapter 15- To Win
Chapter 16- Reunion in Isengard
Chapter 17- Drunken Love
Chapter 18- Clouded Memories
Chapter 19- The Palantir
Chapter 20- The Ride to Minas Tirith
Chapter 21- Room to Hope
Chapter 22- To the Edge of Night
Chapter 23- Burned Alive
Chapter 24- The Long Expected Confession
Chapter 25- A Refusal to Sleep
Chapter 26- A Diversion
Chapter 27- For Frodo
Chapter 28- The End of All Things
Chapter 29- The Crownless Again Shall Be King
Chapter 30- Of Nerves and Celebration
Chapter 31- An Unexpected Guest
Epilogue- Into the West

Chapter 12- The Way To Helm's Deep

1.9K 56 0
By ElvenArcher0106

Amara mounted a beautiful golden brown horse, patting his make gently. Gimli clambered up after her, sitting behind her. The horse reared its head back.

"Shi mor kaeli oli." {Be still gentle one} Amara soothed. The horse calmed. Eowyn walked up and smiled at the elf-dwarf.

"You and Aragorn both have the same gift, I see. Where you raised up around Elves as well?" She asked.

"I am one, my lady." Amara answered simply. Eowyn looked at her confused as the people began to move. Amara flicked the reigns lightly to keep in step with Eowyn.

"Forgive me, but you do not seem-" She was cut off by Gimli's laughing.

"I do believe you forgotten your best quality, Amara."

"Ah yes, how could I forget? I am also part Dwarf, my lady. A far more superior race than the elves." Amara laughed, looking back at Gimli.

"I do take offense to that." Legolas called back to the two.

"You should!" Gimli called back while Amara remained silent. Legolas turned around, a smirk on his face. It disappeared as he met Amara's eyes.

"So your father was a dwarf then?" Eowyn asked.

"My mother actually." Eowyn frowned.

"Huh, come to think of it I dont believe I've ever met a dwarf woman before."

"You know it's true, you don't see many Dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance......that they're often mistaken for Dwarf men." Gimli cut in. Amara laughs as Eowyn smiles and looks back at Aragorn, riding his horse.

"It's the beards." He gestures to an imaginary beard on his chin.

"I can hear you Aragorn. And I can detest to that." Amara called back. Eowyn grins and looks back to Gimli.

"This, in turn, has given rise to the belief......that there are no Dwarf women......and that Dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground..."

Eowyn laughs and Gimli laughs too.

"Which is, of course, ridiculous." He throws his hands up. His sudden movement spooked the horse and it bolted ahead. Gimli to the ground as Amara pulled the horse to a stop. Eowyn quickly runs to help the dwarf up.

"It's all right. Nobody panic. That was deliberate. It was deliberate." Gimli reassured. Amara and Eowyn laugh as they try to help the dwarf back onto the horse.

The horse, not having any of it, galloped away from the dwarf, sending him falling again. Amara laughs loudly, grasping Gimli's arm to pull him up. The horse bolts again and this time Amara falls off too.

She let out a groan as she lands on her stomach.

"Are you alright?" Eowyn asked, worriedly. Amara rolled over, laughing hard as she sat up. Gimli joined in, soon followed by Eowyn.

Legolas walks up, leading the horse by the reigns. He bent to help Amara up but she brushed him away and stood up.

"I think that's enough riding for you today, Gimli." She laughed, refusing to look the elf in the eye. Gimli grumbled and began walking. Amara climbed back onto the horse and rode up next to him and Eowyn.

"Amara. Can I speak with you?" Legolas' voice drifted over to her. She knew he was speaking quietly so that only her elf ears could pick up the sound.

Amara slowed her horse until he was in step Legolas. .

"What?"

"Do not push away my friendship because you do not feel the same way I do." He murmured, looking straight ahead. Amara remained silent. She saw Legolas' ears twitch slightly, picking up a noise that she couldn't.

He hurried ahead of the group, stopping as he came to the crest of the hill. There were inhuman screams and swords clashing, stopping everyone in their steps. Legolas disappeared over the hill as Aragorn ran after him.

"A scout!" Amara heard Legolas shout. Aragorn hurries back down the hill to the people. Theoden rides up to him

"What is it? What do you see?" He asked. Aragorn ran to his horse

"Warg! We're under attack!"

The people of Rohan begin to panic

"Get them out of here!" He shouted.

"All riders to the head of the column." Theoden commanded. Gimli grabbed the reigns of a nearby horse and tried to climb onto it.

"Come on. Get me up here. I'm a rider. Come on!"

Legolas runs to the top of the hill and sees many Wargs running towards them.

Amara drew her sword and turned her horse around towards the oncoming battle.

"Amara, go with Eowyn. Get the women and children to safety!" Aragorn called.

"No! I'm going to fight!" Amara protested.

"You're not well enough."

"I'm fine." Amara said through gritted teeth. Aragorn sighed.

"Just go, Amara. Please." The ranger begged. He rode away for battle. Amara remained where she was, watching the knights disappear over the hill.

The women and children fled frantically, Eowyn desperately trying to calm them. Soon Amara was alone, sat between the battle and the fleeing people. Then a growl caught her attention.

A warg appeared over the hill, an orc riding on it, swinging his jagged sword. He rode by Amara, towards the women and children. Their screams brought Amara back to reality. She dug her heels into the horse and rode towards the warg and orc.

Women were tossing their few belongings at the orc, trying to ward it off. Amara rode by and sliced across the Orcs chest.

"Get back!" She shouted to the people before going in to attack the warg and it's orc rider. They fought against eachother before Amara quickly drove her sword through the Orcs head and swung down, slicing through the wargs throat. It's growls were immediately silenced. The people looked up at Amara.

"Make for the lower ground!" She shouted.

"Stay together!" Eowyn added.

Amara took the lead, dismounting from her horse and allowing an older woman ride. Eowyn fell in step with the elf dwarf.

"You'd rather be fighting." She stated. Amara nodded.

"So would I." Eowyn added. Amara smiled slightly.

"You can fight?"

"Yes..though not as well as you, I fear." Amara shook her head.

"I am not someone you should compare to."

"Will you teach me how to use a bow?"

"Maybe in simpler times..." Amara said simply. Eowyn nodded and they continued their trek to Helm's Deep.

--

The people walk down a hill and see in front of them Helms Deep.

"At last! Helm's Deep There it is, Helm's Deep. We're safe!" Everyone cheered.

"We're safe, my ladies. Thank you." A woman said to Amara and Eowyn.

They walk into Helm's Deep. There are many people and soldiers everywhere. Two children ran passed Amara.

"Mama!" The girl called.

"Eothain! Freda!" Their mother cried, scooping them into her arms.

"Where is the rest?" Eowyn asked a nearby soldier.

"This is all we could save, my lady." Amara walked deeper into Helm's Deep, making her way to a quiet secluded alleyway. There she leaned against the wall and pulled up her shirt. Blood stained the bandage around her waist.

"You're bleeding!" Eowyn appeared around the corner.

"I'm fine." Amara murmured, pulling her shirt back down.

"No, you're not, Amara. It's okay to let your pain show." She said gently. Amara looked up at the maiden and sighed.

"Let me help." Eowyn led the elf dwarf through Helm's Deep until they made it to what seemed like a makeshift recovery room.

"Can we get some fresh bandages? And water." Eowyn ordered. The women nodded and handed the items to Eowyn.

"Sit down, Amara." She demanded. Amara did without protest and Eowyn patched her wound back up. "You have to be more careful." She murmured.

"Make way for the king. Make way for Theoden. Make way for the king." A voice echoed through out Helm's Deep. Eowyn and Amara shot up.

"Stay here." Eowyn said. Amara rolled her eyes and sat down. Eowyn disappeared around the corner.

A few moments passed, which seemed like hours for Amara, before two familiar face cane running around the corner.

"Amara! Are you okay?" Legolas asked.

"What happened?" Gimli asked. Amara jumped up and tackled the dwarf into a hug then Legolas.

"You're alright! Thank Valar." She cried.

"Are you alright?" Legolas asked again.

"Me? Of course! My wound just bled a little that's all." She explained. She stepped back from Legolas and looked around.

"Where's Aragorn? Is he with the king?" Legolas and Gimli shared a look. Legolas opened his fist, revealing the Evenstar that Aragorn always wore.

"He fell." Gimli choked out. Amara felt all air leave her as she stepped back.

"No. No..he can't be." She stuttered out, suddenly finding that she was no longer able to hold herself up. Amara collapsed to her knees as Legolas and Gimli moved to comfort her.

"I should have been there, then maybe this wouldn't have happened!" She cried.

"Uma il- shasti osaer." {Do not blame yourself} Legolas murmured. Amara cried her heart out and she didn't know how much more pain and loss she could take.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.2K 640 34
Faylen Adwynn comes from a troubled past which landed her in Rivendell 10 years ago. She found a new family amongst the elves and trained, always sta...
365K 10.4K 50
Amara, daughter of Lord Elrond, finds herself as the fifteenth member of the company of Thorin Oakenshield. A quest to reclaim a homeland leads her s...
179K 4.2K 23
Aearel just found out that Elrond, Lord of Rivendell, is not her real father. He has kept her safe all her life from the truth behind her parents dep...
82.7K 2K 67
Our story follows a Hobbit by the name of Marlena Rowen-Baggins. A resident of the Shire, at the age of six she was taken in by Bilbo Baggins after h...