Bad Liar

By LaurenJ22

"Because I should be the only one who looks at you like that," he murmured, his voice dropping low as he step... More

Author's Note | FAQ | Summary
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
CAST?
VOTE!
CAST ANNOUNCED
Chapter Fifteen
💖 Dedications 💖
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
T R A I L E R
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
O N E M I L L I O N ✨
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven (Final Chapter)
Epilogue
Darker Than Sin 🖤
LURE: BAD LIAR AS AN INTERACTIVE STORY
Live on Lure 🤍

Chapter Thirty Five

113K 4.3K 1.6K
By LaurenJ22

---------------------

Dedication: Dontworryaboutit30 for saying you love this book! Thank you! <3

Recap:

"I'll make the arrangements," he tells me with confidence. "I'm so happy you want to go."

"I'd go anywhere with you," I reply instantly.

He crawls over to me and gently pushes me so that I'm back to laying down. He tenderly strokes my cheek, his thumb rubbing circles into my skin.

"Thank you for welcoming me back in your life."

I reach up and snake my arms around his neck.

"I'm sorry I ever let you go."

---------------------

Miles' POV:

Having slept by Isobel's side several times now, has made sleeping on my own feel lonely and cold.

I glance over to the empty left side of the bed, imagining what it would be like to wake up with her, every morning. The soft sun rays would fall across her smooth skin. Her brown eyes would peer up at me, so sleepy and peaceful. Her lips would smile as she mumbled, "good morning" to me.

Suppressing a groan, I roll onto my back and stare up at the patchy white ceiling. If only that was my reality.

My door swings open and I snap my head up, to see Emily enter.

"Do you have a lighter?" she asks me, leaning on my door frame, dressed in a short shirt and lacey underwear.

I roll my eyes at her over-the-top attention seeking. She doesn't need one, she just wants me to see her half-naked.

"No, fuck off," I snarl at her and fling my arm over my face.

"Why are you such a dick these days?" she snaps at me, sounding extremely pissed off. "You didn't treat me this way, before her."

"Treated you like what?" I ask her with a sigh, still not moving my arm. "We've never spoke much and the only time you really wanted my attention, was when you saw it on her. Now get out of my room and don't come back."

I can practically hear her scowl as she slams my door shut. I hear the distinct, angry sound of her footfalls and she heads back to her room. Shaking my head, I peel myself off the mattress and direct myself to the bathroom.

I spend the next twenty minutes showering, getting dressed and attempting to find any school work or books I need for the day, only to shove them in my bag.

As I walk own the hall, I don't bother to look down as my feet hit various items of clothing, cigarette packets and empty beer bottles, some even having shattered. This is why I always wear shoes inside, otherwise I'd be leaving a blood trail by now.

"For fuck sake," I mutter when I notice that the bread I bought two days ago has been left open. I see a series of flies inside the packaging of the now-stale bread.

Moving to option two, I search the fruit basket, only to find that they're all mouldy and off. I tip the bowl into the bin with a look of repulse on my face. I don't bother checking the fridge, knowing that the milk will be expired and anything else I've had in there, long gone by now.

Sliding my leather jacket onto my shoulders, I grip the pocket and feel relieved that my bike keys are still lodged in there.

The drive to school is quick as I go faster than the suggested speed. As soon as I make my way towards the school, my eyes begin to scan for dark hair, smooth white skin and the prettiest smile I've ever seen.

When I can't see her, I head to my locker. I begin to swap textbooks around, when I hear the soft pad of vans hitting the cement floor beneath us.

"Hey man," Jai greets me and slaps my shoulder in a friendly gesture.

"What's up?" I grin, flickering my eyes to his.

"I have a proposition for you," he tells me, leaning on the locker beside mine and folding his arms across his chest.

"And what's that?"

"You joining the team, to replace Finn while he's out," he answers casually and the book I'm holding fumbles in my hand and drops.

Jai quickly scoops it up, before holding it out to me, offering me a lope-sided smile.

"What?" I simply ask, wondering if I heard him correctly or whether I'm really losing it.

He grins at me. "I'm wondering if you'd be interested in joining the team again?"

I blink at him for a few moments, before swinging my door shut.

"Does everyone agree?"

Jai's smile wavers for a moment. "Some more than others."

"Finn?" I nervously ask, my fingers tightening around the strap of my bag involuntarily.

"To be honest, I haven't mentioned it to him," Jai says, averting his gaze and I let out a breath of disappointment. "But I told the team."

"What was the reaction?"

"Mostly good," he replies honestly. "You were a killer player, no one can deny it."

"Alec?"

Jai points to his arm. "My poor bicep copped a blow from him, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm offering you the spot."

"Bentley?" I continue.

"Who gives a fuck about Bentley?" Jai rolls his eyes and I chuckle, agreeing.

I find myself nodding, trying to appear casual and not like I want to leap into the air and fist pump. "Okay. Sure. I'll join. Thanks for asking me."

Jai grins at me. "Good stuff. It really is the easier option - you know the team, you know the play, it just makes sense. You would have joined sooner, if it was up to me."

"Thanks man," I say gratefully and we exchange a fist bump. "Are you filling in as captain?"

"Yes sir," he replies and makes a salute.

"Good."

"Thanks for your vote of approval," he states sarcastically as we make our way out to the court yard. "Training is tonight at five."

"I'll be there," I assure him as the cool morning air blasts our faces.

He sends a light punch into my arm, as my eyes land on Isobel.

"Jesus," I see Jai grin beside me. "You've got it bad for her, huh?"

"What do you mean?" I ask him, but don't look away from her as she laughs at something Kiarra says.

"Nothing," he replies casually as we reach the girls. "Morning ladies."

They both murmur a reply and Isobel's smiles shyly at me. God, I love when she does that.

"Isobel," I say quietly, before clearing my throat. "Hey. Hey Kiarra."

Kiarra rolls her eyes at me at me.

"So, exciting news," Jai announces and claps his hand onto my shoulder. "Meet the new team member of the Titans."

"No!?" Isobel exclaims with a wide smile.

"Yes," I grin. "Jai just asked me."

"Wow, that's so great!" she gushes, before throwing her arms around my neck.

A strong scent of vanilla washes over me as I hug her back, wishing I could pick her up and spin her around.

"Let me break the news to Finn, before you say anything," Jai warns.

"My lips are sealed," she says to him and makes a zipper-closing motion across her mouth. "Practice is tonight, right?"

"It is," I nod.

"I'll come watch?" she asks.

"I'll probably get my ass handed to me, but sure, you can come watch," I laugh.

"I'll have your back," Jai offers with a smile.

"I'll come watch as well," Kiarra pipes up.

"Sounds like a plan," both Jai and I say at the same time, exchanging a weird look afterwards.

The bell rings above us and we all begin to trudge inside.

"I am proud of you," Isobel murmurs, slipping her hand into mine. "You'll be great."

I smile down at her, squeezing her hand.

Having her say those words, makes my decision worth it.

***

It feels weird to step inside the locker room, once again, as a team member of the Titans.

I can hear the loud chatter of the other boys as I enter. When I appear around the corner, it becomes significantly quieter as eyes swivel my way.

"Welcome Miles," Jai grins and claps his hands dramatically. "Suit up, you know the drill. I'll meet everyone out on the field in five."

I nod at him and drop my bag onto the bench. The chatter slowly begins to build back up, but not to the level it was. I sigh as I pull out the uniform Jai gave me at lunch.

My shoulder is barged painfully and I snap my head up, to see Alec sending me a frosty glare, as he stomps out of the room. I ignore his immature behaviour and yank my shirt over my head.

"Welcome to the team," I hear Benji say to me with a smile. "Or, welcome back, rather."

"Good to be back," I reply as he lightly whips me with a towel on his way past.

"Let's hope you aren't too rusty," I hear Bentley remark with a smirk. "We all know you're no Finn Collins."

I give him the finger, not bothering to reply. He smirks at me once more, before disappearing through the doors.

I dress quickly and gulp down the powerade I snagged from the vending machine, before letting out a sigh. I take my time walking outside, to where the team are standing, beginning their routine stretch.

My eyes look for her instantly and when I see her perched on the front row of the grandstand, with Kiarra beside her, I grin and wave. She waves back, before giving me a thumbs up.

"Cute," I hear Benji smirk and I shove his shoulder, before I start stretching.

Jai begins to tell us some of the warm up exercises he has prepared for us and I wince, knowing that I'm not nearly at the fitness level I once was. Once he's finished, we all step into line and he raises the whistle to his lips.

Let the practice begin.

***

I try not to show the strain I feel as I hobble off into the locker, sweating dripping down my neck and dirt clinging to my skin.

"Not bad," Jai says to me, but we both know that I struggled out there.

"Not bad?" I hear Alec scoff.

"He hasn't been training three times a week, unlike you," Jai points out flatly with a withering stare.

Alec meets his eye and glares at him, before turning his back to us.

"You got a problem, Alec?" I challenge him.

"Yeah, I do," he says, whirling around to face me. "No one wants you here. Get the message and fuck off."

Jai quickly steps in between us and it's not until he shoves me back, that I realise I'm advancing towards Alec, a look of death on my face.

"Miles, don't encourage him," he says disapprovingly and pushes me back again. "And Alec, grow the fuck up. Just because you let Isobel fall through your fingers, doesn't mean being an asshole to Miles is going to make her come back to you. And besides, Finn left me in charge and I want Miles here. He's a great addition to the team and most people voted yes. So suck it up, or get out."

I blink in surprise at Jai's speech, considering Alec is his best friend.

"Anyone else want to have a go?" Jai presses, his eyes sweeping around the room, as Alec fails to reply.

No one responds, not even Bentley.

"Good, now get in the shower, you all smell like shit," he grins crookedly and someone flings their sweaty shirt towards him. He quickly deflects it and puts his finger up, but a carefree smile is on his face as he does. It's kind of amazing how much respect everyone has for him.

As the showers begin to fill, I hang back and wander over to Jai, trying not to show him how lethargic I feel after that gruelling practice.

"Thanks for that. It means a lot to me."

He pushes his hand through his hair as he gives me a smile.

"Any friend of the Collins', is a friend of mine. And as friends, we stand up for each other. Even if it is to other friends," he tells me firmly. "No one is going to get belittled under my watch."

He holds his hand out and I shake it firmly.

"Just don't let me down," he says quietly, meeting my eyes. "Otherwise there's nothing I can do to help you."

"I won't," I reply instantly, my face serious. "I promise."

--------------------

I just love Jai so much, isn't he the best!? I really enjoyed writing this scene between Miles and Jai. I feel like they needed a good bromance chapter. What did you think? Let me know! :-)

Completed books by me: Childhood Sweethearts, Downright Delinquents, Coach's Number One, Faithless, Not Quite Dead [short story] & The Best Thing For Me.

On-going books: Coach's Second Best [sequel to Coach's Number One].

Instagram: laurenj_22

Snapchat: laurenj_22

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

791K 45K 39
#1 Mystery | #1 Thriller | #1 Young Adult Have you ever known someone more than you know yourself? Known them so inside out that you could finish th...
7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...
40.7K 890 70
"My heart is torn between two. I love them both. I have to let one go" . . Jazmin thought she found everything she could've imagined in her boyfrie...
49.6K 3.4K 26
"Sometimes you have to learn to love yourself before you can love someone else." Ellie Sparks stands out in a crowd... in all the wrong ways. From bi...