Gone Country

By dbookjunkie

Charlotte Jackson may be rich, but her life is hardly a breeze. Her father is marrying a young gold digger na... More

Gone Country
*Prologue*
Chapter 1 (Battles)
Chapter 2 (It's Not A Date, But It's A Date)
Chapter 3 (His Mother's Apron)
Chapter 4 (Change Of Plans)
Chapter 5 (Charlotte Jackson, Or Just, Charlotte?)
Chapter 6 (I Promise)
Chapter 7 (He's Crazy)
Chapter 8 (Keep On Truckin')
Chapter 9 (Fighting)
Chapter 10 (One Call)
Chapter 11 (Two Right Feet?)
Chapter 12 (Decisions)
Chapter 13 (Help Wanted)
Chapter 14 (Should've Told Her)
Chapter 15 (The Strong Ones)
Chapter 16 (Fix It)
Chapter 17 (In A Jam)
Chapter 18 (Blaring Distress)
Chapter 19 (Acceptance)
Chapter 20 (Their Place)
Chapter 21 (Who's Not Good Enough?)
Chapter 22 (Out The Country, Into The City)
Chapter 23 (His Letter)
Chapter 24 (Turning Over A New Leaf)
Chapter 25 (Our Day, My Day?)
Chapter 26 (Let It Out)
Chapter 27 (Save The Girl)
Chapter 28 (Forgive? Not Yet)
Chapter 29 (Effort)
Chapter 30 (Trouble Comes In Pairs)
Chapter 31 (Halfway There)
Chapter 32 (Separation Issues)
Chapter 34 (Finally Right)
Chapter 35 (Their Future)
Chapter 36 (Changes?)
Chapter 37 (For The Love Of Chocolate)
Chapter 38 (The Surprise Spawn Of Angel)
Chapter 39 (Time To Move On)
Chapter 40 (The Beautiful Rose)
Chapter 41 (Fifty-Fifty)
Chapter 42 (The Returning)
Chapter 43 (Forks And Spoons)
***Impotant***
Chapter 44 (A Shell-less Turtle)
Chapter 45 (Understand The Circumstance)

Chapter 33 (Christmas Morning Blues)

15.2K 280 39
By dbookjunkie

"You want to do what?!"

My father's eyes were wide, amazed that I would even ask such a thing. I thought it was a great idea, but we would have to find someone else to play Cale's love interest cause it would be officially weird if they were legally my brothers and I was pretending to be in love with him.

"For Christmas, I want you to adopt the twins," I smiled. "It's the best present ever!"

He ran a hand down his face, the idea seeming to frustrate him. Was it that chaotic of a plan? "Charlotte, sweetie, I know you mean well, but they are grown men now."

He was probably right. Why would they possibly want to be adopted now? They could take care of themselves plenty, why would they be bothered? I picked at my food with my fork, suddenly uninterested in eating the filet mignon beautifully dressed in a creamy white cheddar sauce. How could I possibly eat now? I was too disappointed.

Dad had decided that the most expensive restaurant in LA was the only place worthy enough to have his daughter present. The little steak before me cost forty dollars alone. I didn't even want to know what his ribeye cost. "Come on, princess," he sighed, reaching across the table to caress my cheek when he saw how upset I was. "Cheer up, we'll find another great present for them."

But I didn't want a different present, he knew that. He stared at me, watching me refuse to eat and sulk in my chair. I had put a lot of thought in my gift for them, he couldn't blame me for feeling depressed after he crushed my hopes and dreams by telling me that they probably wouldn't even want it. He just broke my heart.

"Alright! I'll call some people and make it happen!" he exclaimed.

I perked up. "Really, daddy?"

"Yeah," he muttered. "I think I'll trade in a certain little girl who knows how to tug my heart strings, for a couple of grown twins I don't really have to worry about taking care of. A lot less hassle."

I stuck my tongue out at him, giggling at how my father shook his head at me, claiming that I was a troublemaker. "What can I say, I learned from the best," I told him with a innocent shrug.

"Yeah, you're mother got everything she wanted with those baby blue eyes of hers," he agreed. "Including you, because I wasn't sure I was ready to have kids until she hypnotized me with those gorgeous eyes of hers. You know what happened next."

I laughed, taking a bite of my food. "I know, dad, you took her up against the wall and I was created."

He proudly puffed out his chest at the mention. I will forever be scarred by that story and of how proud he is of it. "Dad, if you don't want to adopt the twins, we don't have to."

I watched him as his face twisted in thought. This wasn't just affecting me, it would mean that he would become a father again, without all of the wailing and diaper changing of course. His eyes fell on me as his lips began to tug upward in a smile. "They remind me a lot of Lillian," he confessed. "Especially Cale."

Thinking about it now, the kind hearted twins did have my mother's cheerful spirit and cheekiness, that I could not deny. "So you want to?" I prodded.

My father nodded, but his smile dropped as he let his eyes fall back down to where his food rested. "I think it's a great idea, but what if they decline when we ask?"

I really would be broken hearted then. "There's nothing we can do, dad, we'll just have to accept it."

Like me, he didn't seem completely sold on the idea. It had popped into my head out of nowhere and then I began to doubt it for the whole time I was showering and primping for this daddy-daughter date I was on. I thought that if I told my dad, he would be ecstatic over the idea and jump in to do it whether I was wary or not. Unfortunately, he was just as cautious as I was.

"I'll have the papers we need by tomorrow, I'm guessing all they'll have to do is sign and become the newest member's of the Jackson family, but in order to do that, I need to leave right now, and I may not be back at the hotel until the morning."

I stood up from where I was sitting and called for a waiter. "I'm staying with you dad, I don't care how long it takes for us to get what we need. I want to do this, even if they say no later."

My dad stood up with me, suddenly bursting in excitement. "Let's go get me two sons then!"

Dad and I set out to make what seemed impossible, very possible. He called every connection in his cell to get in reach with someone who could help us. I called Jives and told him that Dad and I most likely wouldn't be home tonight, that we were busy with the twins' Christmas present and would see him tomorrow.

As soon as I got off the phone with Jives, I had an incoming call from Brant. By then we had found an adoption attorney who had been notified about our urgent situation and was willing to help us with what we needed. Apparently it wasn't that hard to have your name changed and become legally adopted by someone if you were an adult, but the paperwork was brutal.

I talked to Brant while my father did everything the woman asked of him, and quite urgently. "So your dad is adopting the twins for Christmas?" Brant softly laughed in my ear. I stepped away from the attorney's modern style living room and into the vacant hallway of her home.

"Yeah, if they agree to it of course," I replied. "I have never been so excited in my whole entire life, Brant!" He softly chuckled on his end. "Other than when you asked me to be your girlfriend," I added.

"Yeah, that was the best, wasn't it?" he teased.

"You have no clue, babe." I let out a long sigh. "I'm so ready to come home to you. I need a big kiss!"

He hummed at the thought. "I need more than one."

I leaned against the wall, smiling to myself just at the sound of his voice when he expressed how much he missed me. "How is everyone doing?" I quietly asked. I had an all expenses paid trip to the mountains with Jack's and Stella's name on it. They really needed a vacation and I was determined that they were going. Avery was getting some hair styling tools since she's been borrowing mine every time she has an important date with Jax. I figured it was time she got her own, she as old enough to handle it. Avery deserved some pampering, so I was planning on flying out to New York with her, just to have a spa day and come back the next day. I was going to spoil that girl rotten. I just wasn't sure when we were going yet.

"I guess everyone is okay," Brant sighed. "Mom and dad are stressed like always and Avery has been avoiding me and I think I know why so I'm a little pissed...."

"What's your theory?" I worriedly asked.

I listened as he let out a heavier sigh than the last one. "I think she and Jax had sex yesterday," he quietly whispered. I nearly dropped my phone, but demanded an explanation first. "She told me that she was going to hang out over at Jax's, I of course asked if Ray was going to be there, and she said yes. Clay asked me on our trip if he and Jax could spend Christmas with us because his dad was gone to be with their sick grandpa. Clearly she had lied."

I grimaced at how bad it really sounded. Avery wasn't someone I could see ever lying to Brant. She loved her brother more than anything in this world, there had to be something else going on. "Babe, don't let your mind run wild, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation."

"Charlotte," he grumbled, his tone telling me to get real. "When you and I are alone, what happens?"

I bit my lower lip. "Naughty things," I giggled. "But this is Avery and Jax we're talking about! Jax still blushes when they make out! There is no way those two are confident enough yet to have sex."

I just couldn't see it. Right now they were in that awkward stage of life when you're first starting to date because you actually want to care about someone. In middle school ages you only try to date because you want to be grown. Jax and Avery were maturing, but I wouldn't become worried until they hit sixteen. Right around there is when you really start noticing how much you want someone to really love you. Those hormones start pumping at sixteen.

"How are you so sure they're not having sex?" Brant asked. "I hope they're being safe at least. Avery can't take care of a baby!"

"Brant!" I laughed. "Honey, they're not having sex, relax. Jax wouldn't dare do that to you, not yet anyway."

Brant groaned and I urged him to take a seat and calm down. He let me know that he was sitting and that his mother just walked in carrying my present. "Mom, get it out of here!" he urged. "You're going to ruin the surprise!"

"Charlotte, sweetie I miss you," I suddenly heard Stella coo into the phone. "You are going to love your present!"

"Stella," I whined. "You're making this waiting thing worse! Is it an engagement ring?"

"I wish!" she giggled on her end. "It's not an engagement ring this time, sweetheart, but I'm positive you're still going to love it."

I heard the phone being shuffled around with Brant telling his mother to shoo away because he wanted to talk to his girl. She claimed that she was his mother and could hog the telephone if she wanted to. Brant ultimately won by stating that he was in love with the person on the line and that his love was stronger than hers.

"You guessed an engagement ring?" he laughed when he finally had control over the phone.

"I'm just marking out the options here," was my playful reply.

"You're not disappointed that it's not a ring, are you?" he softly asked. "I do want to marry you Charlotte, I'm just not ready yet."

He was so worried that I was going to be upset about not being engaged and we were completely on the same page. If he did ask me, of course I would say yes, but I wasn't really expecting him to ask me, I only like teasing him or Stella about it. "Brant, we're seventeen, we're too young to be married. We have the minds of five year olds most of the time. Though I hope we never fully get rid of the kid side of us, I feel like we have a lot of growing up to do before taking on the real world alone."

He quietly agreed, still telling me that he was sorry even if I had clearly told him how I felt about it being too soon. "Don't worry about it, Brant," I hushed.

"I can't help but worry about it!" he complained. "I don't want you to ever think that it's not going to happen, because it is definitely going to happen, just not right now."

A tap on my shoulder made turn to see what my father needed. Apparently I had to sign something as well for the adoption. I went into the living room, not hesitating to write Charlotte Anne Jackson on the dotted line as I told Brant that I wasn't expecting marriage right now.

"I know you're not, I'm just saying that if you feel like I'm not going to commit, you're dead wrong," he spoke in defense.

"I have never felt like that," I giggled. "I'm too cute not to marry."

He let out a husky laugh that made me miss him even more. "Yeah, you're pretty dang cute," he softly laughed. "We'll I've gotta go if I'm going to get up early to come get you guys in the morning. I love you."

"I love you too, Brant. Sweet dreams, handsome."

He hummed, liking the compliment and the idea of having a nice dream. "Hopefully I'll have one of my special dreams about you. I really love those dreams."

"I know you do," I snickered. "Bye, handsome."

"Bye, beautiful."

I looked at my cellphone when the call dropped, missing him once again. My dad gave me a worried glance, seeing how much I hated that the phone call between Brant and I had to end. I put my phone away to finish signing the papers, then told my father I was going up the street to Starbucks for something special to drink, preferably tea.

"I am not letting you wander around in LA alone," he argued.

"Dad," I whined. He was treating me like a child. I use to walk around New York alone and New York is worse than LA in my opinion.

"I will drive you in a minute, we're almost done. I don't care whether you pout or not!" he said when I shook him until he looked at my jutted out bottom lip. "I'm not allowing my little girl to roam the streets at night alone, now please sit down and wait for me."

I had no choice but to plop my butt down on the couch next to him. His voice had raised, forcing me to obey. I haven't heard him talk to me like that in a long time. Oddly, the way he was being so authoritative, it made me happy. I hugged on his arm, waiting patiently for him to finish up the thick stack of paper work so I could get my tea.

He stopped reading and signing to rub his weary eyes and flex his cramping hand, then eagerly continued with me by his side. "I have some tea, Charlotte, if you would like some," the attorney told me. I looked up at the brunette who also looked weary. She was in her pajamas, her hair pulled back in a messy bun and no makeup to define her already beautiful features. How was she not married?

"You don't have to go through that trouble for me," I told her with a slight smile. "I can wait."

She looked between my father and I, seeming to understand that I had a change of plans. I wasn't going anywhere without my daddy right now, and I had my heart set on Starbucks' tea. "Is this the paper the boys need to sign?" my father asked her.

"Yes, and after you bring it by my office later to be processed, they will need to go to the DMV and get new licenses if they check the box that says they want to change their last names. It's not required, but if they want to convert to a Jackson, I'll give you a card that explains everything and they just have to give it to your local DMV."

My father gave a nod, taking it all in. "So this is it? They just have to sign and be present tomorrow when we turn it in?"

"That's it," the woman smiled. "Adult adoption is a lot less complicated than child adoption."

My father stood, tugging me up with him since my arms were wrapped tightly around his left one. "Thank you so much, especially for helping us so late." I let my eyes flicker in between the two when my father surprised her with an excited hug.

For a second I tried visioning her as my mother. I shook my head, already knowing that if my father were to start a relationship with her, it would only end in heartbreak for the both of them. It just wasn't meant to be. I had a radar inside of me when it came to something like this. I liked to think of that radar as my mom guiding us to the right one for my father instead of a wicked cool super power given to me by Cupid. It made more sense.

They pulled apart, unaffected by each other's touch. I already saw that coming. It meant that she may not have been married but she definitely had a man she liked if she wasn't swooning over my father. He was an extremely handsome man. The only way a woman could turn him away is if she had someone already that she truly cared about. Sometimes not even that stopped them from ogling.

"Go home you two," she laughed. "It's past late and I'm sleepy."

We thanked her on our way out, wearing big grateful smiles. Let's just hope that the boys signed their dotted line. Dad was willing to pay the fees to make it official. I was hoping that they could see how much we actually wanted this to happen. We want to be their new family that they can come home to. That's all I want.

-------------------------------

I was in love with my Christmas present from my dad, and I hadn't even seen it yet. Apparently he bought me a little Toyota truck that was waiting on me when I got home. I was so excited about it that I could hardly breathe. All I did was sit there on the bed, staring at the key, speechless.

He kissed my temple, not phased that I couldn't say anything or move. "I'm glad you like it," he chuckled. I didn't like it, I loved it! If I could've picked anything to drive for the rest of my life, I would've chosen a small truck like the one he had gotten me. This was the perfect gift.

My father sat down in front of me with his medium sized box that I suddenly felt skeptical about. It was no truck or anything too expensive. I didn't have but a couple hundred dollars that I had set aside when I sold my clothes for the Young's. I used what little bit I had to buy presents with. I was hoping everyone liked their presents. What if he didn't like it? I should've gotten him something else.

He took the top off the box, brushing back the tissue paper to see what was inside. "Charlotte, you didn't," he grinned.

I nodded, smiling with him. "I totally did."

"I'm going to need these when we go riding all the time this summer," he said as he pulled out the cowboy boots. "I've missed owning a pair of these." He pulled me over into a tight hug, murmuring that I was the best daughter in the world. I know I am after all these years. I should be nominated for a daughter of the year award.

"Open my present next, Char," Jives insisted.

I grabbed the next box marked with my name resting on the bed that Jives motioned to. It was perfectly wrapped, unlike mine that was to him. I urged for him to open the present from me as I opened mine from him. He grabbed the present from the bed and waited for me to make the first move. I ripped open the wrapping paper, softly laughing at what lied behind it. "A cook book?" I giggled, looking up to him.

"A lifetime supply of Charlotte hugs and a photo of us?" he chuckled. "Sheesh, how can I possibly leave now?"

At the mention, my heart squeezed when I remembered the talk we had last night when Dad and I came home. Jives took me out on the balcony where I sat on his lap to watch the starry sky for a while. It was then that he dropped the bomb on me.

"Charlotte," he had whispered, nuzzling his face in my hair. "What if I told you that my family back home missed me and I was thinking about quitting because I miss them too?"

It had come out of no where, but I could tell it had been thought over a lot in his mind. He didn't have to tell me that he had already made his decision, I knew that he had with how he tried to sugarcoat his words to make it seem like nothing was final. "No one should be away from their family," was my reply. I closed my eyes when they began to moisten. A piece of my heart was slowly being cut off. "I love you, Jives. You have been a father to me, you've made me feel confident and beautiful when I needed it the most. It's time I pay you back for everything you've ever done for me. So go home, be happy."

He constricted his arms around me just when his lips met the bare skin revealed by the pink strapless chiffon dress I was still wearing from my daddy-daughter date. "I'm going to miss you," he murmured. "But I'm going to call everyday, I'll always come see you for your birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Heck, I may even come for Presidents day just so that I can check up on my little girl."

My body trembled as the tears began to flow. He's the one who has practically taken care of me my whole life. How do you let someone that close to you go? Even now as I sadly smiled at the cook book he had gotten me that clearly stated that it was time for me to grow up without him and start making meals for my father everyday, I had no clue how I was suppose to get past him leaving. It was going to be hard to let him go, harder than losing a limb. I'd give up any arm or leg just to keep him here with me for forever.

Jives stared at the handmade certificate I had drawn up for the lifetime supply of hugs. I hadn't known anything about him leaving when I made his present, but the certificate was the perfect reminder of me. The last thing I wanted was for him to forget me. I would never, ever, forget the butler who treated me like his own when my father didn't. Jives thoughtfully rubbed his thumb over the picture of us, blinking back tears. I just allowed mine to fall. There was no point in holding it in. I was going to miss him so much.

"Is this ticket redeemable in all fifty states?" he asked, standing to his feet from the chair he had been sitting in.

"That ticket is redeemable anywhere in the world as long as I'm there," I answered while brushing back my tears.

He tugged me up into an embrace I wasted no time returning. I let myself brake down for a little while. My heart was overflowing in a sadness that would never be fully contained. I'll never be able to get over this. "Come on, Char, it's Christmas," he cooed. He ran his fingers soothingly through my hair. Did he not understand what he was doing to me? He was chiseling off another piece of my family. "Let's go to the bathroom and wash your face, you're getting splotchy."

He picked me up in his arms, effortlessly carrying me to the bathroom. I buried my face into his shoulder, gripping the fabric of his T-shirt in pain. I really didn't want him to go. He lowered my feet to the bathroom floor, making me stand on my own. I was being such a big baby, but I couldn't help how hurt I was over this.

"I'm not leaving yet, Char," he told me as he brought his lips to my forehead. "I won't be leaving for a couple of weeks. Think about the twins and the adoption instead." He brushed my tears away with his thumbs, cradling my face in his palms while his big brown eyes told me to cheer up.

I took in a deep breath. He was absolutely right. Now was not the time to be depressed, it was a happy day. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to go into baby mode," I sniffled.

His lips slowly pulled up into a smile. "You'll always be my little girl, no matter what your father says."

I softly laughed. They always fight over who I belonged to and who loved me more. I'm sure my father probably loved me more, but Jives was some pretty tough competition. He waited for me to wash my face with cold water then used a towel to dry up the droplets lingering on my cheeks, chin, nose, and forehead. I felt ten times better after that.

I hugged his arm, following him back to the bedroom area where I was sandwich in a hug between two identical boys. "You're back! Now we can open our present!" Caleb exclaimed.

Cale hit his brother in the arm. "You're so insensitive and self absorbed," he hissed in disapproval. Cale looked down at me and softly smiled. "You okay, Char?"

"Yeah, I'm..."

"Present time!!" he sang. I shook my head as they gave me expectant looks. I turned to my father who handed me the single form that boys had to fill out to complete the adoption. They looked at the paper and pouted. "That's it? We get a piece of paper?"

I turned the paper around, pointing to the top of the page so that they would read it. Their identical blue eyes flickered over each word, slowly taking it in. "Adoption?" Caleb suddenly whispered. Their heads snapped to my father, confusion on their matching faces. "You want to adopt us?"

"I do," he replied. "It was all Charlotte'a idea."

The twins looked to me, still dumbfounded. "It's your decision if you want to become a part of our family. All you have to do is fill out a little information and sign the dotted line."

Cale called a brother huddle and tugged his twin to a corner of the room to quietly discuss what they thought or were feeling. I anxiously looked to my father, finding comfort in the small smile he shot my way. Before I could be fully convinced that they were going to say yes, I broke eye contact with him as they stepped back over to give some kind of an answer.

"Cale and I want some time to think about it, if that's okay. We're kind of having mixed feelings on how to answer."

It wasn't a yes, but it wasn't completely a no either. I was disappointed that they weren't shouting yes and signing the paper already. I didn't give up on my idea though. This was really big for them, it was good that they wanted some more time to communicate about it. They wanted to make the right decision. This would give dad and I some time to make sure it's what we want as well, even if I felt like it was.

I still outstretched the form for them to take. "You guys keep it. Sign it when your ready or throw it away if you think it's stupid..."

"It's not stupid, Char," Cale interrupted. "We want to say yes, we would love to have a family again, but we have to think this completely through."

"I know, so think it through, do whatever you need to do, we'll be patiently waiting for an answer." I let out a deep sigh. Why couldn't life be simpler? I couldn't blame the twins for wanting some time, but that didn't make me not hate waiting.

Jives was leaving and the boys couldn't come out with a sure fire yes to the adoption. When could I be happy? Why did things insist on falling apart around me or never go the way I want? What did I ever do to have all of his happen to me?

"Char, you should finish packing up," my father reminded. "We're heading to the airport in a minute."

I agreed with a nod.

Brant said that he was going to call me and he hasn't. I was really getting worried, so I picked up my cell, telling whoever wanted to listen that I was going to make a call on the balcony before I started packing up. I stepped out onto the terrace alone while the call to the Young's house was being put through. I didn't care who answered, not as long as they could tell me if Brant was alright. Avery was the one who answered my frantic call this time.

"Avery, is Brant okay?" I worriedly asked.

"Yeah," she said in a chipper tone. "He's eating breakfast. Do you want to talk to him?"

I looked out across the city of Los Angeles, sighing in response. It was early in the morning, of course he was eating breakfast. I was being a paranoid girlfriend freaking out over nothing. I guess since everything else has suddenly taken a turn, I thought that the universe would punish me more through Brant. "No, that's okay," I whispered. "Just tell him that I love him, okay? I love you too, Avery. I'll see you later."

"Charlotte, you sound really depressed, what's wrong?"

My fingers clenched around the phone as my mind flickered over every bad thing that has happened so far. "Everything is wrong, little sis, but it's nothing you need to worry about. I'll be home soon and I'll give you all the presents I bought especially for you."

She didn't want me to hang up. I didn't mean to worry her, none of this had anything to do with her. I had a feeling that when I got home, I was going to need a very long nap to keep me from going insane. Hopefully being at home will help mend my broken and anxious heart.

________________________________
AN:)

So Jives is leaving!!! :O Didn't see that one coming, did you?

I hope everyone treated their mom well for Mother's Day. If you didn't, it's never too late to tell her how much you love her and give her a flower, even if you pick it from her garden! ;)

Next Chapter Charlotte's present will be revealed!!!

Random Trivia Question Winner who wins a thousand nonexistent points like on Whose Line Is It Anyway and a shout out, is... @StephC98!!! I'm sure you do have awesome friends like Cale and Caleb, if not I can let you borrow the twins! haha! If only they were real.

Next Trivia Question: What did Jives give Charlotte for Christmas?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 1.1K 11
All Milira Davenport wanted was to escape from her small town and live with her uncle, Alexander. But when tragedy strikes and Alexander passes away...
231K 6.1K 26
Fresh out of high school and finally home from Panama, 18-year old Stella Hawkley is surprised to find a new farm-hand waiting for her at the airport...
251K 7K 26
I wrote this when I was about 13, A LOT of it doesn't make sense. Check out my other works that are a lot better. Sophia Miller is your average 17 y...
12.2K 554 23
George's life was perfect up until the age of 17. His father, the person he was closest with, died in a brutal car accident. This left just him and h...